Turn Off All Automated Functions

kajdna kajdna

Turn Off All Automated Functions

My

My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that constantly find false errors in what I type.

If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line

If I type cat --help

I get Cat --(dash)help

Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?

If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a deal-breaker. I have carefully searched all menus.
Luuk Luuk

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

On 17-8-2014 18:04, kajdna wrote:

> *My*
>
> My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that constantly find
> false errors in what I type.
>
> If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line
>
> If I type cat --help
>
> I get Cat --(dash)help
>
> Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
>
> If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a deal-breaker. I have
> carefully searched all menus.

Tools / AutoCorrect Options / Options

you have to uncheck all the check boxes.....

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

Well, I must say, I'm a little puzzled myself...

I'm running LO 4.1.1.2, and after reading this mail, I just tried this
myself, thinking it should be easy. And for some reason, almost nothing
I did prevented LO Writer from automatically capitalizing the first
letter of the word "cat" when I typed the space (or enter) after the
word.

Things I tried:

* Turned off the "AutoSpellcheck" button on the toolbar
* Tools | Language | For Selection | None (Do not check spelling)
* Tools | Language | For Paragraph | None (Do not check spelling)
* Tools | Language | For all Text | None (Do not check spelling)
* Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Options | Check
  spelling as you type
* Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Options | Check
  grammar as you type
* Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Available
  language modules -> Unchecked all

What did finally work was:

* Tools | AutoCorrect Options | Options | Capitalize first letter of
  every sentence -> Unchecked [T]

Things this shows me (in no particular order):

* There are too many places that such options can be set. Not only all
  the places I found options to twiddle, but also all the other places
  where I didn't find any relevant options (but still had to look).
* Trying to find any given option is harder than it should be (as a
  consequence of the above).
* It is confusing to the user as to which set of options operates at
  any given time (as a consequence of the above).
* There is no easy way to toggle this behaviour on and off in its
  entirety, you can only do it for options individually.

I think the language settings need an overhaul and consolidation, and
at least a way to toggle it all off and on in one shot, for people that
occasionally need to enter some text that should stay verbatim and
uncorrected.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 09:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
kajdna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *My*
>
> My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that
> constantly find false errors in what I type.
>
> If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line
>
> If I type cat --help
>
> I get Cat --(dash)help
>
> Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
>
> If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a deal-breaker. I
> have carefully searched all menus.

jomali jomali

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

It's sad that you went to all that trouble. The only thing you had to do
was to learn that, when the automatic "correction" was made was to
immediately hit Ctrl-z (or Cmd-z on a Mac) or Edit-Undo to reverse the
automatic change. Had you consulted the Help, you would have found this
under Autocorect - While Typing.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I must say, I'm a little puzzled myself...
>
> I'm running LO 4.1.1.2, and after reading this mail, I just tried this
> myself, thinking it should be easy. And for some reason, almost nothing
> I did prevented LO Writer from automatically capitalizing the first
> letter of the word "cat" when I typed the space (or enter) after the
> word.
>
> Things I tried:
>
> * Turned off the "AutoSpellcheck" button on the toolbar
> * Tools | Language | For Selection | None (Do not check spelling)
> * Tools | Language | For Paragraph | None (Do not check spelling)
> * Tools | Language | For all Text | None (Do not check spelling)
> * Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Options | Check
>   spelling as you type
> * Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Options | Check
>   grammar as you type
> * Tools | Options | Language Settings | Writing Aids | Available
>   language modules -> Unchecked all
>
> What did finally work was:
>
> * Tools | AutoCorrect Options | Options | Capitalize first letter of
>   every sentence -> Unchecked [T]
>
> Things this shows me (in no particular order):
>
> * There are too many places that such options can be set. Not only all
>   the places I found options to twiddle, but also all the other places
>   where I didn't find any relevant options (but still had to look).
> * Trying to find any given option is harder than it should be (as a
>   consequence of the above).
> * It is confusing to the user as to which set of options operates at
>   any given time (as a consequence of the above).
> * There is no easy way to toggle this behaviour on and off in its
>   entirety, you can only do it for options individually.
>
> I think the language settings need an overhaul and consolidation, and
> at least a way to toggle it all off and on in one shot, for people that
> occasionally need to enter some text that should stay verbatim and
> uncorrected.
>

> Just my thoughts.
>
> Paul
>

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 09:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
> kajdna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > *My*
> >
> > My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that
> > constantly find false errors in what I type.
> >
> > If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line
> >
> > If I type cat --help
> >
> > I get Cat --(dash)help
> >
> > Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
> >
> > If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a deal-breaker. I
> > have carefully searched all menus.

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

Nope, sorry, but thanks for trying.

Not only for pointing out the undo feature, but also for using that
condescending tone, although if English isn't your native language I
will allow that you didn't mean for that, and all is forgiven :)

Firstly, I knew about the undo feature, but it misses the point
completely. One wants to be able to turn off the autocorrect behaviour,
not just constantly keep undoing it while typing.

Secondly, it keeps redoing the autocorrection, such that one has to
constantly keep pressing ctrl-z, often almost immediately after just
having done so, and if one doesn't notice this, one has to potentially
undo a whole slew of typing, resulting in needless retyping.

Thirdly, it can get stuck in a repetitive cycle:

Open a blank Writer document and type "cat" followed by enter. See the
initial "c" get capitalized. Press ctrl-z to undo the enter, and again
to undo the capitalization. Hit end, and retype the enter. See the
initial "c" get capitalized. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes, you can break the cycle by typing a space after the "cat", then
pressing ctrl-z to undo the capitalization, then pressing enter, then
going back to the first line and deleting the space at the end of the
line and then going down to the new line. One could also open Notepad,
type the text in there, then copy and paste it into Writer. But that is
a bit tedious, and kind of misses the point of Writer, don't you think?

Paul

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 14:45:22 -0400
jomali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > people that occasionally need to enter some text that should stay
> > verbatim and uncorrected.
> >

> > Just my thoughts.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 09:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
> > kajdna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > *My*
> > >
> > > My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that
> > > constantly find false errors in what I type.
> > >
> > > If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line
> > >
> > > If I type cat --help
> > >
> > > I get Cat --(dash)help
> > >
> > > Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
> > >
> > > If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a
> > > deal-breaker. I have carefully searched all menus.
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Thomas Taylor Thomas Taylor

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 19:28:59 +0200
Luuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17-8-2014 18:04, kajdna wrote:
> > *My*
> >
> > My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that constantly find
> > false errors in what I type.
> >
> > If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line
> >
> > If I type cat --help
> >
> > I get Cat --(dash)help
> >
> > Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
> >
> > If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a deal-breaker. I have
> > carefully searched all menus.
> >

> Tools / AutoCorrect Options / Options
>
> you have to uncheck all the check boxes.....

This action would more properly be set under "Options" during initial setup
where MOST users would expect to find it.

Tom  -  moderator

--
Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them
in an unstoppable manner.

^^  --...  ...--  / -.-  --.  --...  -.-.  ..-.  -.-.

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.6-4-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
registered linux user 263467

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 17:06 17/08/2014 -0700, Thomas Taylor wrote:
>On 17-8-2014 18:04, Kajdna Noname wrote:
>>Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
>
>This action would more properly be set under "Options" during
>initial setup where MOST users would expect to find it.

Oh, surely not?!

o Most users would have no idea what they were being asked at some
point during installation, when they have not seen the facilities in
operation and seen how useful or how unhelpful they find them.

o If all the setting were to be available, it would take tens of
minutes to study them and decide which to keep and which to discard.
This would be severely off-putting to any new users.

o Any subsequent change would presumably require reinstallation of
the program. The current questioner would have no means of sorting
their problem without doing this.

o The settings would be fossilised for the installation, not stored
*per user* in user profiles, which is presumably the current
arrangement. Other users of a computer would be limited to the
arbitrary choices of the original installer.

Even if you mean by your ambiguous "initial setup" the first time any
user uses the installation, some of these problems would apply. Can
you be confident that the current questioner would have made the
decisions they now believe to be convenient before they experienced
the program?

Brian Barker

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Paul wrote:
> I think the language settings need an overhaul and consolidation, and
> at least a way to toggle it all off and on in one shot, for people that
> occasionally need to enter some text that should stay verbatim and
> uncorrected.

You can disable spell checking for selected text, whole paragraphs, or
the whole document: Tools > Language > For [Selection | Paragraph | all
Text] > None.

Paragraph styles can also be set to use a particular language (or no
language) on the font tab of the style settings. So, for example, a
paragraph style for formatting source code or giving command line
examples can be set up to use a monospaced font, indent the paragraphs,
etc... and to have no language so it is not spell checked.

To disable spell checking by default for all future new documents: Tools
 > Options > Language Settings > Languages > Default languages for
documents > Select "[None]".

Mark.

Paul wrote:
> Thirdly, it can get stuck in a repetitive cycle:
>
> Open a blank Writer document and type "cat" followed by enter. See the
> initial "c" get capitalized. Press ctrl-z to undo the enter, and again
> to undo the capitalization.

That doesn't look right to me... If you type a space and it
automatically capitalises, the first "undo" undoes the capitalisation
and a second "undo" undoes the space. I would have thought it should be
the same for a new paragraph - first "undo" should undo the
capitalisation, and a second "undo" should undo the new paragraph, not
the other way around...?

> Hit end, and retype the enter. See the
> initial "c" get capitalized. Wash, rinse, repeat.
>
> Yes, you can break the cycle by typing a space after the "cat", then
> pressing ctrl-z to undo the capitalization, then pressing enter, then
> going back to the first line and deleting the space at the end of the
> line and then going down to the new line. One could also open Notepad,
> type the text in there, then copy and paste it into Writer. But that is
> a bit tedious, and kind of misses the point of Writer, don't you think?

Those are indeed workarounds. Personally, I disable a lot of the
"autocorrect" features. Apart from avoiding the hassle when I don't want
something "corrected", it also helps me learn to type right in the first
place!

Mark.

Mark Bourne wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>> Thirdly, it can get stuck in a repetitive cycle:
>>
>> Open a blank Writer document and type "cat" followed by enter. See the
>> initial "c" get capitalized. Press ctrl-z to undo the enter, and again
>> to undo the capitalization.
>
> That doesn't look right to me... If you type a space and it
> automatically capitalises, the first "undo" undoes the capitalisation
> and a second "undo" undoes the space. I would have thought it should be
> the same for a new paragraph - first "undo" should undo the
> capitalisation, and a second "undo" should undo the new paragraph, not
> the other way around...?

And has already been reported as a bug:
   https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70520

Mark.

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:08:00 +0100
Mark Bourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Bourne wrote:
> > Paul wrote:
> >> Thirdly, it can get stuck in a repetitive cycle:
> >>
> >> Open a blank Writer document and type "cat" followed by enter. See
> >> the initial "c" get capitalized. Press ctrl-z to undo the enter,
> >> and again to undo the capitalization.
> >
> > That doesn't look right to me... If you type a space and it
> > automatically capitalises, the first "undo" undoes the
> > capitalisation and a second "undo" undoes the space. I would have
> > thought it should be the same for a new paragraph - first "undo"
> > should undo the capitalisation, and a second "undo" should undo the
> > new paragraph, not the other way around...?
>
> And has already been reported as a bug:
>    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70520

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the link.

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:43:50 +0100
Mark Bourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> > I think the language settings need an overhaul and consolidation,
> > and at least a way to toggle it all off and on in one shot, for
> > people that occasionally need to enter some text that should stay
> > verbatim and uncorrected.
>
> You can disable spell checking for selected text, whole paragraphs,
> or the whole document: Tools > Language > For [Selection | Paragraph
> | all Text] > None.

As I mentioned in my mail, that doesn't stop things like initial
capitalization.

> Paragraph styles can also be set to use a particular language (or no
> language) on the font tab of the style settings. So, for example, a
> paragraph style for formatting source code or giving command line
> examples can be set up to use a monospaced font, indent the
> paragraphs, etc... and to have no language so it is not spell checked.

Again, language settings don't seem to affect things like initial
capitalization. Can one set those options on a per paragraph style
basis?

Paul wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:43:50 +0100
> Mark Bourne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> I think the language settings need an overhaul and consolidation,
>>> and at least a way to toggle it all off and on in one shot, for
>>> people that occasionally need to enter some text that should stay
>>> verbatim and uncorrected.
>>
>> You can disable spell checking for selected text, whole paragraphs,
>> or the whole document: Tools > Language > For [Selection | Paragraph
>> | all Text] > None.
>
> As I mentioned in my mail, that doesn't stop things like initial
> capitalization.
>

>> Paragraph styles can also be set to use a particular language (or no
>> language) on the font tab of the style settings. So, for example, a
>> paragraph style for formatting source code or giving command line
>> examples can be set up to use a monospaced font, indent the
>> paragraphs, etc... and to have no language so it is not spell checked.
>
> Again, language settings don't seem to affect things like initial
> capitalization.

Ah, sorry, my misunderstanding; I thought you were referring to the
spell-check language settings in that last comment.

> Can one set those options on a per paragraph style
> basis?

Not that I know of, but it may be nice even if just an option to disable
all autocorrect features for the paragraph style. Perhaps one for a
feature request, although it may need to be supported in the ODF spec.

Enabling or disabling each feature individually for each style would
probably be too confusing, and difficult to support across applications
with different sets of features. I see the use of disabling all
autocorrect for a paragraph; as you say, you may want text typed into
that type of paragraph to be left unaltered for whatever reason. I don't
think paragraph styling should be able to specifically ENable features
though; that would just lead to behaviour unexpected by a user who finds
that capital letters are being added and words replaced etc., regardless
of their own autocorrect settings, but only in a particular paragraph of
a particular document (which perhaps someone else sent to them, or they
copied from someone else's document).

Mark.

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 20:04:22 +0100
Mark Bourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:43:50 +0100
> > Mark Bourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> You can disable spell checking for selected text, whole paragraphs,
> >> or the whole document: Tools > Language > For [Selection |
> >> Paragraph | all Text] > None.
> >
> > As I mentioned in my mail, that doesn't stop things like initial
> > capitalization.
> >

> >> Paragraph styles can also be set to use a particular language (or
> >> no language) on the font tab of the style settings. So, for
> >> example, a paragraph style for formatting source code or giving
> >> command line examples can be set up to use a monospaced font,
> >> indent the paragraphs, etc... and to have no language so it is not
> >> spell checked.
> >
> > Again, language settings don't seem to affect things like initial
> > capitalization.
>
> Ah, sorry, my misunderstanding; I thought you were referring to the
> spell-check language settings in that last comment.

Well, I was really talking about all of them at once. I don't see why
they are separate. Some languages have different rules for punctuation
than English does. Also, if you want text verbatim, you want *all*
corrections turned off. I understand having individual options in the
configuration settings, but this is really about the need for a simple
method to turn everything off and on at will, preferably something
like the toolbar button that currently exists, but doesn't affect
*everything*, only some stuff.

> > Can one set those options on a per paragraph style
> > basis?
>
> Not that I know of, but it may be nice even if just an option to
> disable all autocorrect features for the paragraph style. Perhaps one
> for a feature request, although it may need to be supported in the
> ODF spec.
>
> Enabling or disabling each feature individually for each style would
> probably be too confusing, and difficult to support across
> applications with different sets of features.

Of course, as you point out below, autocorrect should be on the
"client" side, it should never be saved with the text, such as in a
paragraph style.

> I see the use of disabling all autocorrect for a paragraph; as you
> say, you may want text typed into that type of paragraph to be left
> unaltered for whatever reason.

Yes, just this should be a feature request.

> I don't think paragraph styling should be able to
> specifically ENable features though; that would just lead to
> behaviour unexpected by a user who finds that capital letters are
> being added and words replaced etc., regardless of their own
> autocorrect settings, but only in a particular paragraph of a
> particular document (which perhaps someone else sent to them, or they
> copied from someone else's document).

Yes agreed, these are good points.

TomD TomD

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

Hi :)
This might be going off-track a bit but ...

Apparently at least many of the Autocorrect stuff is kept in a .dat file
somewhere.  Does anyone know where?  Can it be edited?

Reason i'm asking is the other way around.  I've just got KMail reading off
the company Exchange (thanks to a huge amount of help from our external
consultant, Robert Smith (not the singer!)) and in amoungst it's settings
it allows for autocorrect but wants to use an external source for
correcting tpyos and top of it's list of suggestions was LibreOffice's!!

I actually quite like the autocorrect but it got me thinking that if there
is a file it might be easier for some peopel to edit that rather than go
the gui way.

On 21 August 2014 22:59, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 20:04:22 +0100
> Mark Bourne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Paul wrote:

> > > As I mentioned in my mail, that doesn't stop things like initial
> > > capitalization.

> > > Again, language settings don't seem to affect things like initial
> > > capitalization.
> >
> > Ah, sorry, my misunderstanding; I thought you were referring to the
> > spell-check language settings in that last comment.
>
> Well, I was really talking about all of them at once. I don't see why
> they are separate. Some languages have different rules for punctuation
> than English does. Also, if you want text verbatim, you want *all*
> corrections turned off. I understand having individual options in the
> configuration settings, but this is really about the need for a simple
> method to turn everything off and on at will, preferably something
> like the toolbar button that currently exists, but doesn't affect
> *everything*, only some stuff.
>

> > > Can one set those options on a per paragraph style
> > > basis?
> >
> > Not that I know of, but it may be nice even if just an option to
> > disable all autocorrect features for the paragraph style. Perhaps one
> > for a feature request, although it may need to be supported in the
> > ODF spec.
> >
> > Enabling or disabling each feature individually for each style would
> > probably be too confusing, and difficult to support across
> > applications with different sets of features.
>
> Of course, as you point out below, autocorrect should be on the
> "client" side, it should never be saved with the text, such as in a
> paragraph style.
>

> > I see the use of disabling all autocorrect for a paragraph; as you
> > say, you may want text typed into that type of paragraph to be left
> > unaltered for whatever reason.
>
> Yes, just this should be a feature request.
>

> > I don't think paragraph styling should be able to
> > specifically ENable features though; that would just lead to
> > behaviour unexpected by a user who finds that capital letters are
> > being added and words replaced etc., regardless of their own
> > autocorrect settings, but only in a particular paragraph of a
> > particular document (which perhaps someone else sent to them, or they
> > copied from someone else's document).
>
> Yes agreed, these are good points.

Owen Genat Owen Genat

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

TomD wrote
These locale-specific files are stored under share/autocorr/ in the install location. The XML files in each DAT can be extracted using an archive manager and edited. As is always the case, take care when doing so.

Owen Genat wrote:
> TomD wrote
>> Apparently at least many of the Autocorrect stuff is kept in a .dat file
>> somewhere.  Does anyone know where?  Can it be edited?
>
> These locale-specific files are stored under share/autocorr/ in the install
> location. The XML files in each DAT can be extracted using an archive
> manager and edited. As is always the case, take care when doing so.

That looks like the replacement table and exceptions, for all users of
that installation. There are also user-specific versions under the
user's profile (<User Profile>/autocorr/).

Looks like some of the other settings (enabling / disabling various
options) are specified in <Install Path>/share/registry/main.xcd and
<User Profile>/registrymodifications.xcu

I'm not sure where else relevant settings might be stored...

Mark.

kajdna wrote:

> *My*
>
> My gripe with libreoffice are its "stupid" algorithims that constantly find
> false errors in what I type.
>
> If I type *** as a break between sections I get a bold line
>
> If I type cat --help
>
> I get Cat --(dash)help
>
> Is there ONE place where I can turn off ALL automatic overrides?
>
> If I can't type what I want to type, libreoffice is a deal-breaker. I have
> carefully searched all menus.

Not sure if you're still watching this thread, but poking around for
another thread I've just found that you can completely disable
AutoCorrect from modifying text as you type at Format > AutoCorrect >
While Typing. It has a tick next to it by default, but if you click that
option the tick is removed and AutoCorrect stops modifying text as you type.

I didn't know about that one before...

Mark.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Turn Off All Automated Functions

       Here's a suggestion:
           how about turning off these inane auto-corrects as the default;
          then if someone should happen to want any of them, that person
can turn them on -

       The first thing I do with any new machine or program, is to turn off
these inane defaults ...
          anyone with a grammar school education, knows re. spelling &
grammar.

       And I wish someone would explain to me why these machines are
defaulted to the brightest settings -
            it's tiring - blindingly so - on the eyes to have that bright
light shining in them -
          set the brightness to the dimmest and it's more like reading a
book  ;-)

From: Mark Bourne <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Turn Off All Automated Functions