UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1

Next » 12
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1

Hi,

I got

(contains a screenshot)

and

lately.

It seems that there were UI problems introduced in the gen VCLPLug
in 6.1? I cross-checked with gtk3 when replying to those bugs, and gtk3
doesn't have both problems.

Any idea? Probably too late for 6.1.0 anyways, but this should be fixed
for 6.1.1 I think :-)

Regards,

Rene
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 10:56:41AM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=905408#23:

"As an example: format | paragraph | Alignment

There are no check boxes to select left justify right etc

This is common."

> It seems that there were UI problems introduced in the gen VCLPLug
> in 6.1? I cross-checked with gtk3 when replying to those bugs, and gtk3
> doesn't have both problems.

As the poster says, looks quite general to me...

Regards,

Rene
Xisco Fauli Xisco Fauli

Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1

Hello,

> "As an example: format | paragraph | Alignment
>
> There are no check boxes to select left justify right etc
>
> This is common."

It looks fine in

Version: 6.1.1.0.0+
Build ID: c936193b51c9328f9279078207bddfca23995b05
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: x11;
Locale: ca-ES (ca_ES.UTF-8); Calc: group threaded

see attached image...

Regards

Xisco Faulí
Libreoffice QA Team
IRC: x1sc0

Captura de 2018-08-06 22-26-28.png (41K) Download Attachment

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 10:26:46PM +0200, Xisco Fauli wrote:

> > "As an example: format | paragraph | Alignment
> >
> > There are no check boxes to select left justify right etc
> >
> > This is common."
> >

> It looks fine in
>
> Version: 6.1.1.0.0+
> Build ID: c936193b51c9328f9279078207bddfca23995b05

6.1.1.0.0+ != 6.1.0.2 or .3

But yeah, I am currently building libreoffice-6-1 based on
c936193b51c9328f9279078207bddfca23995b05 anyways. Will check.

Regards,

Rene

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 10:48:57PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > It looks fine in
> >
> > Version: 6.1.1.0.0+
> > Build ID: c936193b51c9328f9279078207bddfca23995b05
[...]
> But yeah, I am currently building libreoffice-6-1 based on
> c936193b51c9328f9279078207bddfca23995b05 anyways. Will check.

Can still reproduce.

Regards,

Rene
htietze htietze

Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1

No problem here. But haphazardly I could imagine it's the expander icon (see screenshot) that is not painted for some reasons ending up in a zero/one pixel height for the first line. This is my setup:

SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen instdir/program/swriter => https://imgur.com/a/1QT3AjV

Version: 6.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: bea491c47e6beb1e0c62baf6db4ee026056d2e74
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.17; UI render: default; VCL: x11;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group threaded

more autogen.lastrun
--enable-debug
--without-java
--without-myspell-dicts
--without-doxygen
--disable-firebird-sdbc
--without-system-firebird

qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation
Version
=======
KWin version: 5.13.3
Qt Version: 5.11.1
Qt compile version: 5.11.1
XCB compile version: 1.13

Operation Mode: X11 only

Compositing
===========
Compositing is active
Compositing Type: OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 396.45
OpenGL platform interface: GLX
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver: NVIDIA
Driver version: 396.45
GPU class: Unknown
OpenGL version: 4.6
GLSL version: 4.60
X server version: 1.20
Linux kernel version: 4.17.11
Direct rendering: Requires strict binding: no
GLSL shaders:  yes
Texture NPOT support:  yes
Virtual Machine:  no
OpenGL 2 Shaders are used
Painting blocks for vertical retrace:  no

Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 10:56 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got

> (contains a screenshot)
>
> and

> lately.
>
> It seems that there were UI problems introduced in the gen VCLPLug
> in 6.1? I cross-checked with gtk3 when replying to those bugs, and
> gtk3 doesn't have both problems.

Just to follow up, reportedly this doesn't affect the gtk2 vclplug, not
does opengl appear to be related.
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

broken radio/checkboxes in LibreOffice 6.1 (was: Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1)

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:47:04PM +0200, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> No problem here. But haphazardly I could imagine it's the expander icon (see screenshot) that is not painted for some reasons ending up in a zero/one pixel height for the first line. This is my setup:

How would I debug this? gtk2 works, OpenGL doesn't matter as it's off
afaics.

A new incarnation of this is http://bugs.debian.org/905819.
That screenshot looks GTKish for the "normal" UI so it seems drawing
those buttons by LO is broken?

Regards,

Rene
Maxim Monastirsky Maxim Monastirsky

Re: broken radio/checkboxes in LibreOffice 6.1 (was: Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1)

Hi Rene,

The non-native code path inside vcl uses images from the icon theme to
draw radio/checkboxes. The problem is that not all icon themes have all
needed images, so e.g. Elementary does not have them but Colibre does.
In practice, all you need is to always have Colibre installed, as it's
defined as the last fallback. Hope that will solve the problem.

Maxim

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:41:02AM +0300, Maxim Monastirsky wrote:
> The non-native code path inside vcl uses images from the icon theme to
> draw radio/checkboxes. The problem is that not all icon themes have all
> needed images, so e.g. Elementary does not have them but Colibre does.

Eh, ok.

> In practice, all you need is to always have Colibre installed, as it's

:(

> defined as the last fallback.

vcl/source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:

/*static*/ const OUStringLiteral IconThemeSelector::FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID("tango");
[...]

/*static*/ OUString
IconThemeSelector::GetIconThemeForDesktopEnvironment(const OUString& desktopEnvironment)
{
    OUString r;
#ifdef _WIN32
    r = "colibre";
    (void)desktopEnvironment;
#else
    if ( desktopEnvironment.equalsIgnoreAsciiCase("kde4") ||
         desktopEnvironment.equalsIgnoreAsciiCase("kde5") ) {
        r = "breeze";
    } else
    if ( desktopEnvironment.equalsIgnoreAsciiCase("macosx") ) {
#if MPL_HAVE_SUBSET
        r = "tango";
#else
        r = "breeze";
#endif
    } else
    if ( desktopEnvironment.equalsIgnoreAsciiCase("gnome") ||
         desktopEnvironment.equalsIgnoreAsciiCase("mate") ||
         desktopEnvironment.equalsIgnoreAsciiCase("unity") ) {
        r = "elementary";
    } else
    {
        r = FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID;
    }
#endif

    return r;
}

Or does it use an other fallback=

> Hope that will solve the problem.

It does...

But my packages (because of the above) already do

Package: libreoffice-common
Architecture: all
Depends: libreoffice-style-tango, ure, ${numbertext-data-recommends}, ${misc:Depends}
Suggests: libreoffice-style,
[...]

So I really need to add a hard colibre Depends here, too? :(

Regards,

Rene
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

Re: broken radio/checkboxes in LibreOffice 6.1 (was: Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1)

Hi again,

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 08:25:19AM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Or does it use an other fallback=

Ah, vcl/source/image/ImplImageTree.cxx:

OUString ImplImageTree::fallbackStyle(const OUString& rsStyle)
{
    OUString sResult;

    if (rsStyle == "colibre" || rsStyle == "helpimg")
        sResult = "";
    else if (rsStyle == "sifr" || rsStyle == "breeze_dark")
        sResult = "breeze";
    else if (rsStyle == "sifr_dark" )
        sResult = "breeze_dark";
    else
        sResult = "colibre";

    return sResult;
}

Looks like this wasn't updated when the d efault changed (again)
during 6.1 development?

Will tango work there, too or do I really need to add a extra
Depends: on colibre?

Regards,

Rene
htietze htietze

Re: broken radio/checkboxes in LibreOffice 6.1 (was: Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1)

Fallback was reworked. And Tango should also be complete in 6.1 after copying the remaining icons from Galaxy
Noel Grandin-2 Noel Grandin-2

Re: broken radio/checkboxes in LibreOffice 6.1 (was: Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1)

​Don't the icon themes have weird links files that allow each icon theme to copy icons from other themes? Perhaps just a matter of updating those files so those other themes get the necessary checkbox, etc icons?​

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 08:56:23AM +0200, Heiko Tietze wrote:
>    Fallback was reworked. And Tango should also be complete in 6.1 after
>    copying the remaining icons from Galaxy

So we should update the second case also to tango?

Build with that change for testing just running.

On Sun, 2018-08-12 at 08:46 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Will tango work there,

No, as it doesn't have the radio/checkboxes images. Besides colibre,
only karasa_jaga has these images, but it isn't part of the fallback
mechanism as you saw.

> or do I really need to add a extra
> Depends: on colibre?
I think you should use colibre *instead* of tango. My understanding is
that colibre is at least as complete as tango, and is actively
maintained unlike tango. And tango isn't even part of the fallback
mechanism currently, so depending on it is pointless (unless we change
the fallback list again).

Maxim

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:44:21AM +0300, Maxim Monastirsky wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-08-12 at 08:46 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > Will tango work there,
>
> No, as it doesn't have the radio/checkboxes images. Besides colibre,

sigh, OK, so I did
https://salsa.debian.org/libreoffice-team/libreoffice/libreoffice/commit/3c1aee743e2de32b636ce906145ce588d9f285af

> only karasa_jaga has these images, but it isn't part of the fallback
> mechanism as you saw.
>
> > or do I really need to add a extra
> > Depends: on colibre?
> I think you should use colibre *instead* of tango. My understanding is

No, that looks too much Windows'ishy to me.

> that colibre is at least as complete as tango, and is actively
> maintained unlike tango. And tango isn't even part of the fallback

That is not 100% true, see my paste.

For the desktop detection icon detection it is.
For the "other" fallback you are right...

Regards,

Rene
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

Re: broken radio/checkboxes in LibreOffice 6.1 (was: Re: UI regressions in "gen" plugin with LibreOffice 6.1)

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:44:21AM +0300, Maxim Monastirsky wrote:
> only karasa_jaga has these images, but it isn't part of the fallback
> mechanism as you saw.

... and this one isn't packaged by me anyway. Didn't see a need and didn't
want to have months of delay for approving the new package.
(Any style has a extra package here.)

Maybe I enable it for 6.2 given I need NEW anyway because of -qt5...

On Sun, 2018-08-12 at 09:52 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > I think you should use colibre *instead* of tango. My understanding
> > is
>
> No, that looks too much Windows'ishy to me.

Ah, OK. In this case it might make sense to do an upstream patch to
copy these icons to tango, as we already did for a lot of other icons
that were copied to tango from galaxy (see tdf#118123).

> > that colibre is at least as complete as tango, and is actively
> > maintained unlike tango. And tango isn't even part of the fallback
>
> That is not 100% true, see my paste.
>
> For the desktop detection icon detection it is.

The desktop detection code you cited is about defining the *preferred*
icon theme, not about "fallback" - which means what to do when the
requested theme isn't found. The fallback for a complete icon theme (as
opposed to an individual icon) is done like this:

/*static*/ OUString
IconThemeSelector::ReturnFallback(const std::vector<IconThemeInfo>&
installedThemes)
{
    if (!installedThemes.empty()) {
        return installedThemes.front().GetThemeId();
    }
    else {
        return FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID;
    }
}

... which means that it will return the first found theme, which might
or might not be tango. Imagine a case of a user running gnome or kde
(which have other defined themes in
IconThemeSelector::GetIconThemeForDesktopEnvironment), while having
only tango and colibre. It will get through the above code, and might
pick colibre as well, which is not what you want.

Maxim

htietze htietze

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:09:42PM +0300, Maxim Monastirsky wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-08-12 at 09:52 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > > I think you should use colibre *instead* of tango. My understanding
> > > is
> >
> > No, that looks too much Windows'ishy to me.
>
> Ah, OK. In this case it might make sense to do an upstream patch to
> copy these icons to tango, as we already did for a lot of other icons
> that were copied to tango from galaxy (see tdf#118123).
>
> > > that colibre is at least as complete as tango, and is actively
> > > maintained unlike tango. And tango isn't even part of the fallback
> >
> > That is not 100% true, see my paste.
> >
> > For the desktop detection icon detection it is.
>
> The desktop detection code you cited is about defining the *preferred*
> icon theme, not about "fallback" - which means what to do when the
> requested theme isn't found. The fallback for a complete icon theme (as
> opposed to an individual icon) is done like this:
>
> /*static*/ OUString
> IconThemeSelector::ReturnFallback(const std::vector<IconThemeInfo>&

$ git grep ReturnFallback
source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:    return ReturnFallback(installedThemes);
source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:    return ReturnFallback(installedThemes);
source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:IconThemeSelector::ReturnFallback(const std::vector<IconThemeInfo>& installedThemes)

so vcl/source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx

> installedThemes)
> {
>     if (!installedThemes.empty()) {
>         return installedThemes.front().GetThemeId();
>     }
>     else {
>         return FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID;
>     }
> }

$ git grep FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID
qa/cppunit/app/test_IconThemeSelector.cxx:            OUString(vcl::IconThemeSelector::FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID), selected);
source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:/*static*/ const OUStringLiteral IconThemeSelector::FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID("tango");
                                                                                                             ^^^^^

source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:        r = FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID;
source/app/IconThemeSelector.cxx:        return FALLBACK_ICON_THEME_ID;

So what is this then? Count me confused. :)

Regards,

Rene
Next » 12