UK Government adopts Open Document Format

Andrew Beverley Andrew Beverley

UK Government adopts Open Document Format

Following on from previous threads, this is good news for LibreOffice:

"Government documents will use what are known as open standards for
document formats. Word processor files will be saved with “.odt”
suffixes, rather than “.doc”."

https://gds.blog.gov.uk/2014/07/22/making-things-open-making-things-better/

TomD TomD

Re: UK Government adopts Open Document Format

Hi :)
There is already quite a lot of FUD in the comments.  Surprisingly only 2
posts about MS formats!  I attempted to point out a few blunders in
people's comments but my posts were toooo long and are now getting stuck in
the moderators inbox.

If anyone else could post SHORT comments to dispell some of the FUD it
would be really great! :)

James Knott James Knott

On 08/04/2014 04:21 AM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> Word processor files will be saved with “.odt”
> suffixes, rather than “.doc”."

I wonder how many people will try to just change the extension, without
saving as the appropriate file type?

TomD TomD

Re: UK Government adopts Open Document Format

 Hi :)
Good point!

One of the posters, Angus, seems to be pushing people into thinking that is
all that's required.  I think i have covered that but just 1 voice saying
it doesn't carry much weight imo.  Or at least it shouldn't, imo.

On 4 August 2014 13:14, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/04/2014 04:21 AM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> > Word processor files will be saved with “.odt”
> > suffixes, rather than “.doc”."
>
> I wonder how many people will try to just change the extension, without
> saving as the appropriate file type?

timllloyd timllloyd

Re: UK Government adopts Open Document Format

I would like to think that the people behind this will have provided a
handy list of dos and donts to make integration a bit easier.

If not let me know and I'll volunteer my services :)

Cheers

On 05/08/14 00:12, Tom Davies wrote:

>   Hi :)
> Good point!
>
> One of the posters, Angus, seems to be pushing people into thinking that is
> all that's required.  I think i have covered that but just 1 voice saying
> it doesn't carry much weight imo.  Or at least it shouldn't, imo.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 4 August 2014 13:14, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2014 04:21 AM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
>>> Word processor files will be saved with “.odt”
>>> suffixes, rather than “.doc”."
>> I wonder how many people will try to just change the extension, without
>> saving as the appropriate file type?

>> deleted

NoOp NoOp

[ODF 1.2 compatibility] Re: UK Government adopts Open Document Format

On 08/04/2014 01:21 AM, Andrew Beverley wrote:

> Following on from previous threads, this is good news for LibreOffice:
>
> "Government documents will use what are known as open standards for
> document formats. Word processor files will be saved with “.odt”
> suffixes, rather than “.doc”."
>
> https://gds.blog.gov.uk/2014/07/22/making-things-open-making-things-better/

Wow! Excellent stuff. Now for an LO user specific question...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-standards-for-government/sharing-or-collaborating-with-government-documents>
states that ODF 1.2 is prefered and will be used ( also see:
<http://standards.data.gov.uk/meeting/technical-standards-panel-meeting-17-march-2014>
). So LO 4.1 default is set to ODF 1.2 Extended (recommened), however
there are these ODF 1.2 options to choose from
(Tools|Options|Load/Save|General[Default file format and ODF settings]):

ODF 1.2
ODF 1.2 Extended (compat mode)
ODF 1.2 Extended (recommened)

Does anyone know:
1. What the difference is between 'ODF 1.2 Extended (compat mode)' and
'ODF 1.2 Extended (recommened)'?
2. If using 'ODF 1.2 Extended (recommened)' will cause issues with the
UK Gov 'ODF 1.2'?

Where is Dennis E. Hamilton when you need him? :-)
<http://orcmid.com/blog/2010/02/worst-nightmare-opendocument-format.asp>

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: UK Government adopts Open Document Format

       and then these inane ones will complain they've 'lost their files'
;-)

       Oh, how can we retrieve the inane- into thinking-folks, before they
reach the stage of insane  ;-)

From: James Knott <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] UK Government adopts Open Document Format