Ubuntu Community Documentation

Johnny McClung Johnny McClung

Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hello,

I recently joined the LibreOffice Documentation group. I was about to send
out an email asking the where I should start when I had an idea. I am
running the current (10.10) version of Ubuntu and involved with the
community documentation. With the next release (11.04) LibreOffice will be
the default office suite. The Ubuntu Community Currently has not
documentation on LibreOffice. I propose that I take the documents in Alfresco
and convert them into the Ubuntu Community Documentation.

Thank you,
Johnny

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi Johnny, :-)

Well that could be one approach. But the documentation we have is
still very much a work in progress. We'd be continuing to work on it,
and you'd have an out-of-date copy. It would be particularly sad since
we are about to re-do *all* the screenshots in the docs. They're
currently mostly taken under Windows. The plan is to re-take all the
screenshots under Ubuntu 10.10. And that's just one of the tasks
scheduled.

We'd love to keep you with us, Johnny. It seems like a sad duplication
of effort for you to be documenting LibreOffice "over there" while
we're doing the same thing "over here". :-D

When you wrote to me asking me where to start, I mentioned that the
best thing would be to write to Hal and Barbara on the list, because
they are the people with the closest view of the work right now.

Me, I've been busy dealing with Alfresco, plus I've also had client
work to do that has meant that I've not actually been doing any
documenting recently.

To make up for that, I had volunteered to re-take all those
screenshots. But, for instance, this could be one task you could help
out with, Johnny.

Hal, Barbara, can you guys organize Johnny and me and point us both at
some work, given that you know best where we are with things right
now?

By the way, we already have a couple of meta tasks we need to get done:

1) We need to finalize a LibreOffice versioning system to maintain in
the meta info of each file we work on.

2) We need to finalize the chapter template.

David Nelson

Johnny McClung Johnny McClung

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

The last thing I want to do is cause problems or duplicate work. I had a thought and if that is not the best use of my time, fine.

I want to help you guys where you need me.

Thank you,
Johnny

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi Johnny, :-)

In any case, it's great that you're an Ubuntu user. Me, too. We can
perfectly well divide the screenshooting (screenshotting?) between us.

For the desktop theme, I'd go with the default Ubuntu theme. The tool
I'd use, unless you have a better suggestion, would be
gnome-screenshot.

In LibreOffice Options > General > Open/Save dialogs, we should
activate "Use LibreOffice dialogs".

Let's wait for Hal, Barbara and whoever else to post back and then
figure out a "work specification" all together (what's needed, sizes,
etc.) . I'll be free to work on this Saturday or Sunday.

David Nelson

Tom Tom

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

I think Ubuntu's Community Documentation tries to do too much sometimes.External
links are a good idea but it can be tricky trying to find something suitably
reliable to link to.  Hopefully most distros will be able to just link directly
to our documentation here.

________________________________
The last thing I want to do is cause problems or duplicate work. I had a thought
and if that is not the best use of my time, fine.

I want to help you guys where you need me.

Thank you,
Johnny

On Feb 23, 2011, at 1:50 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Johnny, :-)
>
> Well that could be one approach. But the documentation we have is
> still very much a work in progress. We'd be continuing to work on it,
> and you'd have an out-of-date copy. It would be particularly sad since
> we are about to re-do *all* the screenshots in the docs. They're
> currently mostly taken under Windows. The plan is to re-take all the
> screenshots under Ubuntu 10.10. And that's just one of the tasks
> scheduled.
>
> We'd love to keep you with us, Johnny. It seems like a sad duplication
> of effort for you to be documenting LibreOffice "over there" while
> we're doing the same thing "over here". :-D
>
> When you wrote to me asking me where to start, I mentioned that the
> best thing would be to write to Hal and Barbara on the list, because
> they are the people with the closest view of the work right now.
>
> Me, I've been busy dealing with Alfresco, plus I've also had client
> work to do that has meant that I've not actually been doing any
> documenting recently.
>
> To make up for that, I had volunteered to re-take all those
> screenshots. But, for instance, this could be one task you could help
> out with, Johnny.
>
> Hal, Barbara, can you guys organize Johnny and me and point us both at
> some work, given that you know best where we are with things right
> now?
>
> By the way, we already have a couple of meta tasks we need to get done:
>
> 1) We need to finalize a LibreOffice versioning system to maintain in
> the meta info of each file we work on.
>
> 2) We need to finalize the chapter template.
>
> David Nelson

Gukk_Devel Gukk_Devel

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hello Johnny,

Am 23.02.2011 19:07, schrieb Johnny McClung:
> documentation on LibreOffice. I propose that I take the documents in Alfresco
> and convert them into the Ubuntu Community Documentation.

just to inform you, the published versions of the documentations are on
the Wiki http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
in Alfresco and ODF-Authors are only the working copies.

So it would be better to use the documents on the Wiki, I think.

Cheers
Karl-Heinz

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi, :-)

David Nelson

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 18:05, Karl-Heinz Gödderz
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> just to inform you, the published versions of the documentations are on
> the Wiki http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
> in Alfresco and ODF-Authors are only the working copies.
>
> So it would be better to use the documents on the Wiki, I think.

It would be even better if Johnny were to work with the LibreOffice
docs team here and not to duplicate effort needlessly, don't you
think, Karl-Heinz?

The best way to contribute to LibreOffice documentation is to work
with the LibreOffice docs team. It's pointless for outside projects to
be developing documentation for LibreOffice separately from the
LibreOffice project.

My 2 cents.

David Nelson

Helmar Helmar

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

I agree David... I just joined the docs team but I'm a little lost with some
stuff... I joined Alfresco too but what documentation is the oficial version
to be translated?

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation ? or
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org ?

How can I get access to Alfresco?

Thanks

Helmar Fernandes
=======================
Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat user
www.aquahobby.com
www.penguim.net/pocosdecaldas

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

On 02/23/2011 01:07 PM, Johnny McClung wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently joined the LibreOffice Documentation group. I was about to send
> out an email asking the where I should start when I had an idea. I am
> running the current (10.10) version of Ubuntu and involved with the
> community documentation. With the next release (11.04) LibreOffice will be
> the default office suite. The Ubuntu Community Currently has not
> documentation on LibreOffice. I propose that I take the documents in Alfresco
> and convert them into the Ubuntu Community Documentation.
>
> Thank you,
> Johnny

Hi Johny,

I've been drafting Ubuntu-specific docs here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice/fr

I have lacked time lately to formally propose them for merging to either
Ubuntu docs or LibreOffice docs, but anyone is free to take that next
step if I don't get to it soon enough.

I include such docs as an RTF file in my LibO DVD distribution.

Cheers,

Fabian

--
LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi Helmar, :-)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 22:44, Helmar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree David... I just joined the docs team but I'm a little lost with some
> stuff... I joined Alfresco too but what documentation is the oficial version
> to be translated?

We always post the latest finalized version of documents or the wiki
at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

However, the English docs team stores its work on
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org / http://documentation.libreoffice.org
(they are the two Web-facing interfaces of the same Alfresco ECM
[Enterprise Content Management] system).

So the bleeding edge of English docs work can be found on Alfresco.

> How can I get access to Alfresco?

I created a user account for you at http://alfresco.libreoffice.org /
http://documentation.libreoffice.org and I've mailed you the details
plus some Alfresco-related documentation to get you started.

If you'd like to use Alfresco for translations of existing English
LibreOffice documentation or for creating your own adapted/new
content, it's no problem at all, and we can give you any help you
need. For instance, you can have your own dedicated team space
containing all the "latest and greatest" content available for
translation.

It would probably be a good idea to discuss the idea with your other
team members beforehand and see if you have a general consensus about
using Alfresco, so that no-one is duplicating work. If you guys do
decide to go with Alfresco, then please give me a heads-up and I/we
will do whatever necessary to set things up for you and help you get
started.

At the present moment, there's no self-registration on Alfresco, so
you'd need to give us a nudge here to create the necessary user
accounts.

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi Fabián, :-)

2011/2/27 Fabián Rodríguez <[hidden email]>:
> I've been drafting Ubuntu-specific docs here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice/fr
>
> I have lacked time lately to formally propose them for merging to either
> Ubuntu docs or LibreOffice docs, but anyone is free to take that next
> step if I don't get to it soon enough.

I took a look, and - as far as I can see - it all seems to be related
to installation under Ubuntu. So it's *probably* more relevant to
Ubuntu Docs - at least at the moment. I have started monitoring the
Ubuntu Docs list, so I'll be on the look-out for any
LibreOffice-related posts.

> I include such docs as an RTF file in my LibO DVD distribution.

In any case, if you'd like an account on our Alfresco, let me know and
I'll be happy to create one for you.

David Nelson

sophi sophi

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi Fabian,

On 26/02/2011 20:58, Fabián Rodríguez wrote:
[...]

> Hi Johny,
>
> I've been drafting Ubuntu-specific docs here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice/fr
>
> I have lacked time lately to formally propose them for merging to either
> Ubuntu docs or LibreOffice docs, but anyone is free to take that next
> step if I don't get to it soon enough.

For the FR documentation you're developing, you can open an Ubuntu
specific part on our wiki under this page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/La_documentation_de_l%27utilisateur
and cross link to your docs on Ubuntu.
Don't worry about the presentation on the page above, once the wiki has
migrated to our FR domain, we will draw and use a nice template.

I had a quick look to your page when you announced it to our list, where
do you want me to give you the feedback: within a mail or do you have a
file I can modify?

Kind regards
Sophie

Helmar Helmar

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Hi David.... according my local friends the US team didn't allow us to take
our jobs to Alfresco...
I'm trying to undestand what's going on

Helmar Fernandes
=======================

davidnelson davidnelson

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 21:43, Helmar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi David.... according my local friends the US team didn't allow us to take
> our jobs to Alfresco...
> I'm trying to undestand what's going on

Ah OK, well, it would be interesting to know why if you manage to fine
out... ;-)

David Nelson

Helmar Helmar

Re: Ubuntu Community Documentation

Well... I think I'm not the right person to lead this project....
as you may know (and our friends from up there may not) I'm not a computer
scientist. I'm a Human resources Manager working as a volunteer because I
believe in a world where the knowledge is free and accessible to
everybody...
I can dedicate my time and all my efforts to work on this but I'm afraid I
don't have the knowhow to do it... If you can guide throught this I can
try.... or simply help someone.... after all that's why I'm here... just to
offer my help...

Helmar Fernandes