Unable to use SCIM to import CJK languages into LibreOffice on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10

mhenriday mhenriday

Unable to use SCIM to import CJK languages into LibreOffice on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10

I recently had occasion to reinstall 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (n b, not because
of a problem in Ubuntu itself, but because I replaced Windows Vista with
Windows 7 on the Windows side of this dual-boot machine and thereafter
failed in my attempts to restore GRUB2) and after doing so, noticed that no
matter what I tried, I was unable to get SCIM to import CJK languages into a
Writer text. Same problem, of course, when using OOo ; I'm using the latest
(Swedish) 3.3 version in both cases. SCIM works fine with other applications
on Ubuntu, like the gedit text editor or Gmail's compose. In contrast to the
situation on Ubuntu, I have no problem using the Microsoft IMEs to import
these languages into LO or OOo texts. However, I don't want to be forced to
run Windows 7 in order to write, e g, a Chinese or Japanese text in a LO or
OOo document. Is it possible to get SCIM and LO to play nice with each other
and in that event, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about
doing so ?...

Henri

Re: Unable to use SCIM to import CJK languages into LibreOffice on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10

Hi Henri, *,

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Same problem, of course, when using OOo ; I'm using the latest
> (Swedish) 3.3 version in both cases. SCIM works fine with other applications
> on Ubuntu, like the gedit text editor or Gmail's compose.

As OOo/LO doesn't support GTK's input method switching on the fly (you
cannot choose between the different input methods by opening the
context-menu), you need to enable scim before launching OOo/LO -
either by setting it as your global default (i.e. default not GTK
input method, but scim), or by setting
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim just for OOo/LO

Either add it to the soffice startup script, or launch it manually
from the commandline.

(GTK_IM_MODULE=scim soffice)

Note that it has to be completely shut down, otherwise it will just
reuse an existing session and not apply the change.

ciao
Christian

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/2/20 Christian Lohmaier <[hidden email]>

> Hi Henri, *,
>
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Same problem, of course, when using OOo ; I'm using the latest
> > (Swedish) 3.3 version in both cases. SCIM works fine with other
> applications
> > on Ubuntu, like the gedit text editor or Gmail's compose.
>
> As OOo/LO doesn't support GTK's input method switching on the fly (you
> cannot choose between the different input methods by opening the
> context-menu), you need to enable scim before launching OOo/LO -
> either by setting it as your global default (i.e. default not GTK
> input method, but scim), or by setting
> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim just for OOo/LO
>
> Either add it to the soffice startup script, or launch it manually
> from the commandline.
>
> (GTK_IM_MODULE=scim soffice)
>
> Note that it has to be completely shut down, otherwise it will just
> reuse an existing session and not apply the change.
>
> ciao
> Christian

That was fast, Christian - many thanks ! I chose to launch the start up
script from the command line and it worked perfectly - the command opened
OOo (3.2) and a test showed that SCIM functioned just as it should. Well and
good ! But alas, as always seems to be the case with me, the situation is
more complicated. At the moment I have no less than two (2) versions of OOo
and one (1) version of LibreOffice installed on my machine - i e, the
Ubuntuised version of OOo that came with the 10.10 OS, *viz*,
1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1.1 and the OOo 3.3 RC (3.3.0-20) and LibreOffice 3.3
(3.3.0-19) packages which I myself installed. Writer in the former is
launched via the command «ooffice -writer %F», the two latter packages are
launched via «/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice» and
«/opt/libreoffice/program/soffice», respectively. Not surprisingly, after
performing the command «GTK_IM_MODULE=scim soffice», SCIM now works with the
first named, but not with the latter two. My knowledge of Ubuntu hasn't
sufficed to permit me to set SCIM as my global default, which I think would
be the best solution or, failing that, to insert the «GTK_IM_MODULE=scim» in
the soffice startup scripts for both LibreOffice and OpenOffice. Can I
prevail upon you to further help me by explaining how to perform these
operations ?...

Henri

NoOp NoOp

On 02/20/2011 07:39 AM, M Henri Day wrote:

> I recently had occasion to reinstall 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (n b, not because
> of a problem in Ubuntu itself, but because I replaced Windows Vista with
> Windows 7 on the Windows side of this dual-boot machine and thereafter
> failed in my attempts to restore GRUB2) and after doing so, noticed that no
> matter what I tried, I was unable to get SCIM to import CJK languages into a
> Writer text. Same problem, of course, when using OOo ; I'm using the latest
> (Swedish) 3.3 version in both cases. SCIM works fine with other applications
> on Ubuntu, like the gedit text editor or Gmail's compose. In contrast to the
> situation on Ubuntu, I have no problem using the Microsoft IMEs to import
> these languages into LO or OOo texts. However, I don't want to be forced to
> run Windows 7 in order to write, e g, a Chinese or Japanese text in a LO or
> OOo document. Is it possible to get SCIM and LO to play nice with each other
> and in that event, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about
> doing so ?...
>
> Henri

Perhaps try iBus instead?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ibus

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/2/21 NoOp <[hidden email]>

> On 02/20/2011 07:39 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> > I recently had occasion to reinstall 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (n b, not
> because
> > of a problem in Ubuntu itself, but because I replaced Windows Vista with
> > Windows 7 on the Windows side of this dual-boot machine and thereafter
> > failed in my attempts to restore GRUB2) and after doing so, noticed that
> no
> > matter what I tried, I was unable to get SCIM to import CJK languages
> into a
> > Writer text. Same problem, of course, when using OOo ; I'm using the
> latest
> > (Swedish) 3.3 version in both cases. SCIM works fine with other
> applications
> > on Ubuntu, like the gedit text editor or Gmail's compose. In contrast to
> the
> > situation on Ubuntu, I have no problem using the Microsoft IMEs to import
> > these languages into LO or OOo texts. However, I don't want to be forced
> > run Windows 7 in order to write, e g, a Chinese or Japanese text in a LO
> or
> > OOo document. Is it possible to get SCIM and LO to play nice with each
> other
> > and in that event, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about
> > doing so ?...
> >
> > Henri
> >

> Perhaps try iBus instead?
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ibus

NoOp, thanks for your suggestion. Alas, I found myself unable to get IBus to
work ; for example, after installing IBus according to the instructions on
the Ubuntu Community page and adding Chinese and Japan, I didn't find «IBus
IBus in, e g, LibreOffice, despite my having selected «ibus» as my keyboard
still trying to get SCIM to work. The thing that surprised me with respect
to Christian's advice above to set SCIM as my «global default» was that I
thought I had already  done so ; i e, I had edited my profile under /etc by
adding the following :
# SCIM
export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -d

I had also ensured that the following lines appeared in /etc/scim/global :
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = sv_SE.utf8,en_US.UTF-8. Previously, these
measures have sufficed to make SCIM work with OOo/LO....

What next ?...

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/2/21 NoOp <[hidden email]>
>> On 02/20/2011 07:39 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> The thing that surprised me with respect
> to Christian's advice above to set SCIM as my «global default» was that I
> thought I had already  done so ; i e, I had edited my profile under /etc by
> adding the following :
> # SCIM
> export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> scim -d

The profile is only used for interactive/login shells, i.e. when you
open a terminal and launch LO/OOo from there it is applied, but when
running it from the menu it is not used at all.

> What next ?...

As mentioned earlier: Modify the launchers (the different soffice
scripts you already cited - those are shell scripts that setup some
environment variables and then launch the binary)

Or add it to your display-manager's set of default environment variables.

ciao
Christian

Peter Junge Peter Junge

On 02/21/2011 04:18 PM, M Henri Day wrote:

> 2011/2/21 NoOp <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 02/20/2011 07:39 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
>>> I recently had occasion to reinstall 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (n b, not
>> because
>>> of a problem in Ubuntu itself, but because I replaced Windows Vista with
>>> Windows 7 on the Windows side of this dual-boot machine and thereafter
>>> failed in my attempts to restore GRUB2) and after doing so, noticed that
>> no
>>> matter what I tried, I was unable to get SCIM to import CJK languages
>> into a
>>> Writer text. Same problem, of course, when using OOo ; I'm using the
>> latest
>>> (Swedish) 3.3 version in both cases. SCIM works fine with other
>> applications
>>> on Ubuntu, like the gedit text editor or Gmail's compose. In contrast to
>> the
>>> situation on Ubuntu, I have no problem using the Microsoft IMEs to import
>>> these languages into LO or OOo texts. However, I don't want to be forced
>>> run Windows 7 in order to write, e g, a Chinese or Japanese text in a LO
>> or
>>> OOo document. Is it possible to get SCIM and LO to play nice with each
>> other
>>> and in that event, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about
>>> doing so ?...
>>>
>>> Henri
>>>

>> Perhaps try iBus instead?
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ibus
>>

> NoOp, thanks for your suggestion. Alas, I found myself unable to get IBus to
> work ; for example, after installing IBus according to the instructions on
> the Ubuntu Community page and adding Chinese and Japan, I didn't find «IBus
> IBus in, e g, LibreOffice, despite my having selected «ibus» as my keyboard
> still trying to get SCIM to work. The thing that surprised me with respect
> to Christian's advice above to set SCIM as my «global default» was that I
> thought I had already  done so ; i e, I had edited my profile under /etc by
> adding the following :
> # SCIM
> export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> scim -d
>
> I had also ensured that the following lines appeared in /etc/scim/global :
> /SupportedUnicodeLocales = sv_SE.utf8,en_US.UTF-8. Previously, these
> measures have sufficed to make SCIM work with OOo/LO....

Henri,

SCIM is AFAIK really outdated. IBus is certainly the better choice. I'm
using Ubuntu 10.04, 32-bit hence things might be a bit different. I got
IBus to work pretty easily by adding it at System -> Preferences ->
Startup Applications. After restarting the desktop you should have an
IBus tool in the system tray.

In general, it might be easier to get help at the IBus user forum:
http://groups.google.com/group/ibus-user?pli=1. I guess there should
also be resources with Ubuntu handling that kind of topics.

Last but not least the forum of the Beijing Linux User Group should also
be worth a try:
http://www.beijinglug.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=listcat&catid=0&func=listcat&Itemid=138
(registration required).

Best regards,
Peter

Re: Unable to use SCIM to import CJK languages into LibreOffice on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Peter Junge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 04:18 PM, M Henri Day wrote:
>
> SCIM is AFAIK really outdated.

SCIM works fine, worked fine for the past years.

> IBus is certainly the better choice.

There have been so many "better choices" already that really fucked
up. pulseaudio (now, after years of "betterness" its becoming to be
usable, i.e. supported by the user-facing stuff), the "better,
improved" Mail-merge wizard in OOo/LO, device-kit power (that is too
stupid to recognize battery/AC plug status, a stuff that both acpi and
hal don't have any problem with, better gdm that in turn means loosing
the fast-user-switch applet, etc.

ciao
Christian

NoOp NoOp

On 02/21/2011 12:18 AM, M Henri Day wrote:

> 2011/2/21 NoOp <...
>> Perhaps try iBus instead?
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ibus
>>

> NoOp, thanks for your suggestion. Alas, I found myself unable to get IBus to
> work ; for example, after installing IBus according to the instructions on
> the Ubuntu Community page and adding Chinese and Japan, I didn't find «IBus
> IBus in, e g, LibreOffice, despite my having selected «ibus» as my keyboard

Log out & back in, or:

$ killall gnome-panel

System|Preferences|Keyboard Input Methods

Note: you really should move this over to the user list:
"[hidden email]: User support list for LibreOffice users needing
help with a problem."

this list:
"[hidden email]: Mailing list for general discussions
about The Document Foundation."

On the user list see the thread: "LibreOffice with iBus on linux".

NoOp NoOp

On 02/21/2011 01:16 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Peter Junge <snipped> wrote:
>> On 02/21/2011 04:18 PM, M Henri Day wrote:
>>
>> SCIM is AFAIK really outdated.
>
> SCIM works fine, worked fine for the past years.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scim/files/scim/
==> 2009.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/scim/index.php?title=Main_Page
"SCIM platform project is suffered from lack of working members."

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/desktop-karmic-input-methods
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/IBus

It might work fine, but Peter is correct, scim is really outdated. Yes,
it's maintained in Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scim
but lots of older working packages are still maintained. Also note that
scim is only available from the universe repository.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus has been available since
karmic and in the main repository.

The good part is that you have choices :-)