Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Next » 12
Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Hi everyone,

We've been working on an updated donate page for the LibreOffice
website. Here's the result so far (this is the main donate block that
will be integrated into our SilverStripe CMS):

https://www.libreoffice.org/assets/Uploads/donate-design-test-1-js.html

We've implemented the features we need and tested it in many browsers,
but if anyone would like to improve its appearance (eg change colours,
fonts, add graphics) then go ahead!

We want to make this live quite soon, but there's still time if someone
wants to work on it.

Thanks!

--
Mike Saunders, Marketing & PR
The Document Foundation

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Mike, *

Tested on FF, IE11, Chrome functions well.

Do we need another green for more contrast/highlight?

Stuart

Daniel A. Rodriguez Daniel A. Rodriguez

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Localiation is still possible?

El 27 mar. 2017 11:45 AM, "V Stuart Foote" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Mike, *
>
> Tested on FF, IE11, Chrome functions well.
>
> Do we need another green for more contrast/highlight?
>
> Stuart

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Hi Mike,

Are you interested in Usability feedback on the form or are you purely
interested in colors/fonts?

Also, is the second page (after clicking next) functional? (I found it a
bit confusing, but it might be the case that it is just not finished or
working for me)

Jan

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Hi Daniel,

On 27/03/2017 17:45, Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote:

> Localiation is still possible?

It will be possible to localise it, yes, but I think we should settle on
a final design first before we look at that. Hopefully we'll have that
done within the next few days.

Mike

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Hi Jan,

On 27/03/2017 19:03, jan wrote:

> Are you interested in Usability feedback on the form or are you purely
> interested in colors/fonts?

If there's anything you think we can improve without starting from
scratch, then yes, that would be useful! Especially if you can do a
mockup or make changes to the HTML / CSS.

> Also, is the second page (after clicking next) functional? (I found it a
> bit confusing, but it might be the case that it is just not finished or
> working for me)

Yes, sorry, I should've explained that -- the second page won't do
anything yet because that will need to be integrated into SilverStripe
and the donation payment systems.

Thanks!

Mike

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Hi Mike,

It seems to be best practice (at least looking at Wikimedia and Mozilla)
to combine the "next" button with the choice of payment
(https://donate.mozilla.org/en-US/)

Could this be done here, too, or can we only pass the amount on to
SilverStripe?

Also, can we run Javascript to enable/disable inputs or show Icons –
e.g. a blue PayPal logo if PP is availiable for the choosen currency and
a grayed out version of the logo, if PP it is not? (just to give an example)

I got some rough draft (https://postimg.org/image/5oe3x1ucj/) and the
direction depends a bit on above questions.

Jan

Am 28.03.2017 um 13:04 schrieb Mike Saunders:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On 27/03/2017 19:03, jan wrote:
>>
>> Are you interested in Usability feedback on the form or are you purely
>> interested in colors/fonts?
>
> If there's anything you think we can improve without starting from
> scratch, then yes, that would be useful! Especially if you can do a
> mockup or make changes to the HTML / CSS.
>
>> Also, is the second page (after clicking next) functional? (I found it a
>> bit confusing, but it might be the case that it is just not finished or
>> working for me)
>
> Yes, sorry, I should've explained that -- the second page won't do
> anything yet because that will need to be integrated into SilverStripe
> and the donation payment systems.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

…one thing I forgot to ask: Is the width of the donate box fixed or can
it vary (in particular concerning mobile devices)

Jan

On 28/03/2017 21:37, jan wrote:

> It seems to be best practice (at least looking at Wikimedia and Mozilla)
> to combine the "next" button with the choice of payment
> (https://donate.mozilla.org/en-US/)
>
> Could this be done here, too, or can we only pass the amount on to
> SilverStripe?

I'm not sure about that to be honest -- I know very little about
SilverStripe.

> Also, can we run Javascript to enable/disable inputs or show Icons –
> e.g. a blue PayPal logo if PP is availiable for the choosen currency and
> a grayed out version of the logo, if PP it is not? (just to give an example)
>
> I got some rough draft (https://postimg.org/image/5oe3x1ucj/) and the
> direction depends a bit on above questions.

That looks good! I'm not a web designer so all I know is basic HTML and
CSS, and our current donate page is rather old so I came up with my
mockup. (Hence why it's not responsive to different dimensions as well).

If someone wants to take the idea and improve it like in your draft,
however, that'd be great! It's obviously something we want to get right,
as it's a big source of income for TDF and the community...

Cheers,
Mike

Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4

Mike Saunders píše v St 29. 03. 2017 v 13:01 +0200:

> > It seems to be best practice (at least looking at Wikimedia and Mozilla)
> > to combine the "next" button with the choice of payment
> > (https://donate.mozilla.org/en-US/)
> >
> > Could this be done here, too, or can we only pass the amount on to
> > SilverStripe?
>
> I'm not sure about that to be honest -- I know very little about
> SilverStripe.

So there are things I like about the Mozilla's approach, and things I
like about your approach :-)

What I like about the Mozilla's approach is that all the choices are
accumulated at one place, with a clear "press here to get this done".

What I like about your approach is that you pre-select the amount for
the user (Mozilla instead warns you when you press the button without
choosing

If we combine the two, I think we have the ideal workflow here - the
only choice the user has to do is "do I want to pay with a card or with
Paypal"?

So - can you please remove the 2nd screen, and instead:

* use radio buttons One time / Monthly [and maybe Quarterly / Yearly -
  if we really want them there] directly on the 1st screen

    + if we cannot do recurring payments with credit cards, just disable
      the "pay by credit card" button for the non-One-time payments

* the "I'm not a robot" and "Your email address" can easily fit the 1st
  page too I think?

> > Also, can we run Javascript to enable/disable inputs or show Icons –
> > e.g. a blue PayPal logo if PP is availiable for the choosen currency and
> > a grayed out version of the logo, if PP it is not? (just to give an example)
> >
> > I got some rough draft (https://postimg.org/image/5oe3x1ucj/) and the
> > direction depends a bit on above questions.
>
> That looks good! I'm not a web designer so all I know is basic HTML and
> CSS, and our current donate page is rather old so I came up with my
> mockup. (Hence why it's not responsive to different dimensions as well).

I hope that if you just avoid hardcoding dimensions, all should be fine?
But something should be there, on the 2nd page, the "Quarterly" does not
fit the button; and with translations this is going to be even worse.

> If someone wants to take the idea and improve it like in your draft,
> however, that'd be great! It's obviously something we want to get right,
> as it's a big source of income for TDF and the community...

Indeed - so I hope we are going to A/B test the new design to compare
against the old one? :-)

All the best,
Kendy

On 29/03/2017 18:25, Jan Holesovsky wrote:

> If we combine the two, I think we have the ideal workflow here - the
> only choice the user has to do is "do I want to pay with a card or with
> Paypal"?
>
> So - can you please remove the 2nd screen

Sure, I can try combining them both into a single screen. I'm in
training early next week so it may take a few days -- but as I mentioned
before on the list, if anyone else wants to jump in,
go ahead :-)

> Indeed - so I hope we are going to A/B test the new design to compare
> against the old one? :-)

Yes, that's the plan. Once we have a design we're happy with, Cloph will
add it to Silverstripe and implement A/B testing to see how it works
(and also with default donation values).

Mike Saunders píše v Čt 30. 03. 2017 v 15:49 +0200:

> Yes, that's the plan. Once we have a design we're happy with, Cloph will
> add it to Silverstripe and implement A/B testing to see how it works
> (and also with default donation values).

Awesome - thank you so much for driving this!

All the best,
Kendy

jan-3 jan-3

Am 29.03.2017 um 18:25 schrieb Jan Holesovsky:

>     + if we cannot do recurring payments with credit cards, just disable
>       the "pay by credit card" button for the non-One-time payments

Can we do this? (we would need to runs a snippet of Javascript, I assume)

> * the "I'm not a robot" and "Your email address" can easily fit the 1st
>   page too I think?

Agree, we should do so. And also:

1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?
2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to know about
is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)

Jan

On 30/03/2017 23:08, jan wrote:

> 1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?

That's a captcha -- it's in the current donate process so I thought I'd
keep it in. (I don't know the exact reason it was added originally.)

> 2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to know about
> is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)

It's for getting a confirmation / thank-you mail from TDF once the
donation is complete. I could add some text to mention that...

Mike

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Hi Mike,

Here an updated proposal design-wise:

        http://imgur.com/a/IVMEj

(it should be easy enough to implement in its basic form. Some added
Javascrip-foo will make it easier to use)

Notes:

* I integrated most like Jan suggested, on one page

* I ditched the "robot"-captcha. It is easy to reintegrate, but as long
as we are not sure we really need it, I would not use it, since it can
slow the process of donating down.

* I suggest the eMail field should come after the donation has been
finished, so we don’t create the impression that you need to enter your
mail to donate (and we can add information on why the mail may be
entered without cluttering the mail donation form)
If we really need it on the first page, we can integrate it there, though.

Kind Regards,
 Jan

Am 31.03.2017 um 14:48 schrieb Mike Saunders:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On 30/03/2017 23:08, jan wrote:
>>
>> 1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?
>
> That's a captcha -- it's in the current donate process so I thought I'd
> keep it in. (I don't know the exact reason it was added originally.)
>
>> 2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to know about
>> is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)
>
> It's for getting a confirmation / thank-you mail from TDF once the
> donation is complete. I could add some text to mention that...
>
> Mike

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Big plus for the easy to recognize links. Other than that we should consider to make it even more simple. No recurring transaction, one input field with 10 as default, and next to it the currency. And a less blatant font (if you are at this page the disclaimer on top is way too much info).
Many thanks for your mockup, Jan!

On April 2, 2017 4:50:32 PM GMT+02:00, jan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>
>Here an updated proposal design-wise:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/IVMEj
>
>(it should be easy enough to implement in its basic form. Some added
>Javascrip-foo will make it easier to use)
>
>Notes:
>
>* I integrated most like Jan suggested, on one page
>
>* I ditched the "robot"-captcha. It is easy to reintegrate, but as long
>as we are not sure we really need it, I would not use it, since it can
>slow the process of donating down.
>
>* I suggest the eMail field should come after the donation has been
>finished, so we don’t create the impression that you need to enter your
>mail to donate (and we can add information on why the mail may be
>entered without cluttering the mail donation form)
>If we really need it on the first page, we can integrate it there,
>though.
>
>Kind Regards,
> Jan
>

>Am 31.03.2017 um 14:48 schrieb Mike Saunders:
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> On 30/03/2017 23:08, jan wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?
>>
>> That's a captcha -- it's in the current donate process so I thought
>I'd
>> keep it in. (I don't know the exact reason it was added originally.)
>>
>>> 2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to know
>about
>>> is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)
>>
>> It's for getting a confirmation / thank-you mail from TDF once the
>> donation is complete. I could add some text to mention that...
>>
>> Mike
>>

>--
>deleted

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Based on Heikos ideas (or at least how I understood them)
here a super simple version: http://imgur.com/a/jxYK7

Jan

Am 02.04.2017 um 17:26 schrieb Heiko Tietze:

> Big plus for the easy to recognize links. Other than that we should
> consider to make it even more simple. No recurring transaction, one
> input field with 10 as default, and next to it the currency. And a less
> blatant font (if you are at this page the disclaimer on top is way too
> much info).
> Many thanks for your mockup, Jan!
>
> On April 2, 2017 4:50:32 PM GMT+02:00, jan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi Mike,
>
>     Here an updated proposal design-wise:
>
>      http://imgur.com/a/IVMEj
>
>     (it should be easy enough to implement in its basic form. Some added
>     Javascrip-foo will make it easier to use)
>
>     Notes:
>
>     * I integrated most like Jan suggested, on one page
>
>     * I ditched the "robot"-captcha. It is easy to reintegrate, but as long
>     as we are not sure we really need it, I would not use it, since it can
>     slow the process of donating down.
>
>     * I suggest the eMail field should come after the donation has been
>     finished, so we don’t create the impression that you need to enter your
>     mail to donate (and we can add information on why the mail may be
>     entered without cluttering the mail donation form)
>     If we really need it on the first page, we can integrate it there, though.
>
>     Kind Regards,
>      Jan
>

>     Am 31.03.2017 um 14:48 schrieb Mike Saunders:
>
>         Hi Jan,
>
>         On 30/03/2017 23:08, jan wrote:
>

>             1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?
>

>         That's a captcha -- it's in the current donate process so I
>         thought I'd
>         keep it in. (I don't know the exact reason it was added originally.)
>
>             2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to
>             know about
>             is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)
>

>         It's for getting a confirmation / thank-you mail from TDF once the
>         donation is complete. I could add some text to mention that...
>
>         Mike

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Will this actually replace the current Interface of
http://donate.libreoffice.org/?

Jan

Am 31.03.2017 um 14:48 schrieb Mike Saunders:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On 30/03/2017 23:08, jan wrote:
>>
>> 1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?
>
> That's a captcha -- it's in the current donate process so I thought I'd
> keep it in. (I don't know the exact reason it was added originally.)
>
>> 2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to know about
>> is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)
>
> It's for getting a confirmation / thank-you mail from TDF once the
> donation is complete. I could add some text to mention that...
>
> Mike

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

Exactly like this. The "monthly" could be a dropdown with (weekly), quarterly, yearly etc. Just for discussion.
@Mike: CC @marketing?

On 04/02/2017 08:50 PM, jan wrote:

> Based on Heikos ideas (or at least how I understood them)
> here a super simple version: http://imgur.com/a/jxYK7
>
> Jan
>

> Am 02.04.2017 um 17:26 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
>> Big plus for the easy to recognize links. Other than that we should
>> consider to make it even more simple. No recurring transaction, one
>> input field with 10 as default, and next to it the currency. And a less
>> blatant font (if you are at this page the disclaimer on top is way too
>> much info).
>> Many thanks for your mockup, Jan!
>>
>> On April 2, 2017 4:50:32 PM GMT+02:00, jan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Mike,
>>
>>     Here an updated proposal design-wise:
>>
>>      http://imgur.com/a/IVMEj
>>
>>     (it should be easy enough to implement in its basic form. Some added
>>     Javascrip-foo will make it easier to use)
>>
>>     Notes:
>>
>>     * I integrated most like Jan suggested, on one page
>>
>>     * I ditched the "robot"-captcha. It is easy to reintegrate, but as long
>>     as we are not sure we really need it, I would not use it, since it can
>>     slow the process of donating down.
>>
>>     * I suggest the eMail field should come after the donation has been
>>     finished, so we don’t create the impression that you need to enter your
>>     mail to donate (and we can add information on why the mail may be
>>     entered without cluttering the mail donation form)
>>     If we really need it on the first page, we can integrate it there, though.
>>
>>     Kind Regards,
>>      Jan
>>

>>     Am 31.03.2017 um 14:48 schrieb Mike Saunders:
>>
>>         Hi Jan,
>>
>>         On 30/03/2017 23:08, jan wrote:
>>

>>             1) What is the "I'm not a robot" for?
>>

>>         That's a captcha -- it's in the current donate process so I
>>         thought I'd
>>         keep it in. (I don't know the exact reason it was added originally.)
>>
>>             2) What is asking for the mail address for? (I would like to
>>             know about
>>             is for the design, but I think the users want to know, too)
>>

>>         It's for getting a confirmation / thank-you mail from TDF once the
>>         donation is complete. I could add some text to mention that...
>>
>>         Mike

Dr. Heiko Tietze
UX Designer
Tel. +49 (0)179/1268509

jan-3 jan-3

Re: Updated LibreOffice donate page on website for beautifying

I like the dropdown idea, and we should carefully AB test the "minimal"
design with the one that has all the preset controls, since the latter
is pretty similar to  what Wikimedias and Mozillas forms do (at least
Wikimedias raises a lot, but let's see, maybe the simple approach fares
better!)

Jan

Next » 12