Uploading to ODF

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Uploading to ODF

HI.
Can I have a little help please?. I'm still new and taking baby steps.

1. How do I upload files to ODFAuthors? Jean set up my account and I've
had a look around but can't see how it's done :-[ .
With Alfresco still down, I want to upload the chapter which I'd put on
there, but which obviously now is somewhere in the ether.

2. On the ODFAuthors site, how does one mark the file as being worked
on. I can't make out the 'Change State' functionality. I'm looking at
the Writer folders here BTW.

I had marked the chapter (Ch11 Writer) on the wiki as updated, so I've
got how to do that ok.

Sorry if this is a nuisance :-[ .

Thanks, John

eskroni eskroni

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi John,

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:53:02 +0000
John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI.
> Can I have a little help please?. I'm still new and taking baby steps.
>
> 1. How do I upload files to ODFAuthors? Jean set up my account and
> I've had a look around but can't see how it's done :-[ .
> With Alfresco still down, I want to upload the chapter which I'd put
> on there, but which obviously now is somewhere in the ether.

Do you want to upload a completely new document? Go to the
corresponding folder (e. g. Writer > To Be Updated to LO3.4). In the
green bar above the list with the files there is a menu entry called
"Add new..." with a arrow pointing downwards on its right side. Click
on this entry and chose then "Document". Give a name, enter a short
description, browse to the correct file on your computer and when
everything is filled in to your satisfaction click on "Save". That's
all.

> 2. On the ODFAuthors site, how does one mark the file as being worked
> on. I can't make out the 'Change State' functionality. I'm looking at
> the Writer folders here BTW.

You go into the folder, click on the document name that you want to
edit. In the green menu bar above there is a menu entry called
"Actions". Click here and select "Check out". This will automatically
create a "working copy" (and you will see a double entry for this
chapter!) The original entry gets an extra banner, saying that XYZ has
created a working copy on this date...

Don't forget to download the chapter. :)

> I had marked the chapter (Ch11 Writer) on the wiki as updated, so
> I've got how to do that ok.
>
> Sorry if this is a nuisance :-[ .

No, it's not. People asking how to do things gives us the chance to
improve our descriptions. :)
I hope my instructions are clear.

Sigrid

Tom Tom

Re: Uploading to ODF

It is not a nuisance.  They are good questions.  Hopefully someone can help soon and that might help a few other people that have been too shy to ask.

Sorry i can't help with this :(

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Uploading to ODF

Correction to #1 below it.

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 23:22 +0100, Sigrid Carrera wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:53:02 +0000
> John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > HI.
> > Can I have a little help please?. I'm still new and taking baby steps.
> >
> > 1. How do I upload files to ODFAuthors? Jean set up my account and
> > I've had a look around but can't see how it's done :-[ .
> > With Alfresco still down, I want to upload the chapter which I'd put
> > on there, but which obviously now is somewhere in the ether.
>
> Do you want to upload a completely new document? Go to the
> corresponding folder (e. g. Writer > To Be Updated to LO3.4). In the
> green bar above the list with the files there is a menu entry called
> "Add new..." with a arrow pointing downwards on its right side. Click
> on this entry and chose then "Document". Give a name, enter a short
> description, browse to the correct file on your computer and when
> everything is filled in to your satisfaction click on "Save". That's
> all.

     Click "Add new ..." and in its menu select "File". Follow the rest
of the direction above. The menu no longer has "Document" as one of the
choices.
     Additional if you have not already done this, your file should be
named as follows NameOfTheChapter_INITIALS_date_.odt. The date format is
YYYYDDMM. (e.g., uploads today should have 20120118) Also, if you are
reviewing someone else's chapter, you would put your initials after the
author's initials with underlining before and after your initials.
(ChapterName_JS_DEL_20120118.odt says that you wrote "Chapter Name", I
reviewed it, and it was uploaded today.

--Dan

> > 2. On the ODFAuthors site, how does one mark the file as being worked
> > on. I can't make out the 'Change State' functionality. I'm looking at
> > the Writer folders here BTW.
>
> You go into the folder, click on the document name that you want to
> edit. In the green menu bar above there is a menu entry called
> "Actions". Click here and select "Check out". This will automatically
> create a "working copy" (and you will see a double entry for this
> chapter!) The original entry gets an extra banner, saying that XYZ has
> created a working copy on this date...
>
> Don't forget to download the chapter. :)
>
> > I had marked the chapter (Ch11 Writer) on the wiki as updated, so
> > I've got how to do that ok.
> >
> > Sorry if this is a nuisance :-[ .
>
> No, it's not. People asking how to do things gives us the chance to
> improve our descriptions. :)
> I hope my instructions are clear.
>
> Sigrid

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi, thanks for replies guys.

In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer > To be updated to LO
3.4', in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
"Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
"View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
"Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
relevant to uploading.
In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but
the menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to
"Translate into ..." on its own.

Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green
bar, happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm
happy with that part.

I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar

Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.

John
On 18/01/2012 22:42, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Correction to #1 below it.
>
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 23:22 +0100, Sigrid Carrera wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:53:02 +0000
>> John Smith<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> HI.
>>> Can I have a little help please?. I'm still new and taking baby steps.
>>>
>>> 1. How do I upload files to ODFAuthors? Jean set up my account and
>>> I've had a look around but can't see how it's done :-[ .
>>> With Alfresco still down, I want to upload the chapter which I'd put
>>> on there, but which obviously now is somewhere in the ether.
>> Do you want to upload a completely new document? Go to the
>> corresponding folder (e. g. Writer>  To Be Updated to LO3.4). In the
>> green bar above the list with the files there is a menu entry called
>> "Add new..." with a arrow pointing downwards on its right side. Click
>> on this entry and chose then "Document". Give a name, enter a short
>> description, browse to the correct file on your computer and when
>> everything is filled in to your satisfaction click on "Save". That's
>> all.
>       Click "Add new ..." and in its menu select "File". Follow the rest
> of the direction above. The menu no longer has "Document" as one of the
> choices.
>       Additional if you have not already done this, your file should be
> named as follows NameOfTheChapter_INITIALS_date_.odt. The date format is
> YYYYDDMM. (e.g., uploads today should have 20120118) Also, if you are
> reviewing someone else's chapter, you would put your initials after the
> author's initials with underlining before and after your initials.
> (ChapterName_JS_DEL_20120118.odt says that you wrote "Chapter Name", I
> reviewed it, and it was uploaded today.
>
> --Dan
>
>>> 2. On the ODFAuthors site, how does one mark the file as being worked
>>> on. I can't make out the 'Change State' functionality. I'm looking at
>>> the Writer folders here BTW.
>> You go into the folder, click on the document name that you want to
>> edit. In the green menu bar above there is a menu entry called
>> "Actions". Click here and select "Check out". This will automatically
>> create a "working copy" (and you will see a double entry for this
>> chapter!) The original entry gets an extra banner, saying that XYZ has
>> created a working copy on this date...
>>
>> Don't forget to download the chapter. :)
>>
>>> I had marked the chapter (Ch11 Writer) on the wiki as updated, so
>>> I've got how to do that ok.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is a nuisance :-[ .
>> No, it's not. People asking how to do things gives us the chance to
>> improve our descriptions. :)
>> I hope my instructions are clear.
>>
>> Sigrid

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Uploading to ODF

     I have attached a picture of the Draft folder in the Writer folder.
The red rectangle shows where the "Add new " is located.

--Dan

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 23:37 +0000, John Smith wrote:

> Hi, thanks for replies guys.
>
> In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer > To be updated to LO
> 3.4', in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
> "Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
> "View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
> "Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
> Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
> relevant to uploading.
> In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but
> the menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to
> "Translate into ..." on its own.
>
> Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green
> bar, happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm
> happy with that part.
>
> I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar
>
> Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.
>
> John
> On 18/01/2012 22:42, Dan Lewis wrote:
> > Correction to #1 below it.
> >
> > On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 23:22 +0100, Sigrid Carrera wrote:
> >> Hi John,

> >> Do you want to upload a completely new document? Go to the
> >> corresponding folder (e. g. Writer>  To Be Updated to LO3.4). In the
> >> green bar above the list with the files there is a menu entry called
> >> "Add new..." with a arrow pointing downwards on its right side. Click
> >> on this entry and chose then "Document". Give a name, enter a short
> >> description, browse to the correct file on your computer and when
> >> everything is filled in to your satisfaction click on "Save". That's
> >> all.
> >       Click "Add new ..." and in its menu select "File". Follow the rest
> > of the direction above. The menu no longer has "Document" as one of the
> > choices.
> >       Additional if you have not already done this, your file should be
> > named as follows NameOfTheChapter_INITIALS_date_.odt. The date format is
> > YYYYDDMM. (e.g., uploads today should have 20120118) Also, if you are
> > reviewing someone else's chapter, you would put your initials after the
> > author's initials with underlining before and after your initials.
> > (ChapterName_JS_DEL_20120118.odt says that you wrote "Chapter Name", I
> > reviewed it, and it was uploaded today.
> >
> > --Dan

> >> You go into the folder, click on the document name that you want to
> >> edit. In the green menu bar above there is a menu entry called
> >> "Actions". Click here and select "Check out". This will automatically
> >> create a "working copy" (and you will see a double entry for this
> >> chapter!) The original entry gets an extra banner, saying that XYZ has
> >> created a working copy on this date...
> >>
> >> Don't forget to download the chapter. :)

> >> No, it's not. People asking how to do things gives us the chance to
> >> improve our descriptions. :)
> >> I hope my instructions are clear.
> >>
> >> Sigrid

eskroni eskroni

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi John,

On 19 January 2012 00:37, John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for replies guys.
>
> In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer > To be updated to LO 3.4',
> in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
> "Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
> "View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
> "Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
> Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
> relevant to uploading.
> In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but the
> menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to "Translate into
> ..." on its own.
>
> Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green bar,
> happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm happy with
> that part.
>
> I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar
>
> Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.

Not sure, but I expanded your rights (added "Editor" and "Contributor"
to your roles), so please log in again and see, if you see the "Add
new..." entry now.

If you do, then I will need to talk with Andreas and ask which role
includes which permissions, so that we can adapt the roles that all
necessary things are visible for the members.

Sigrid

Tom Tom

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi Sigrid :)
Please could you set-up a login for me too?  I haven't got anything to add at the moment so it's not urgent.

On 19 January 2012 00:37, John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for replies guys.
>
> In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer > To be updated to LO 3.4',
> in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
> "Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
> "View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
> "Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
> Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
> relevant to uploading.
> In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but the
> menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to "Translate into
> ..." on its own.
>
> Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green bar,
> happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm happy with
> that part.
>
> I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar
>
> Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.

Not sure, but I expanded your rights (added "Editor" and "Contributor"
to your roles), so please log in again and see, if you see the "Add
new..." entry now.

If you do, then I will need to talk with Andreas and ask which role
includes which permissions, so that we can adapt the roles that all
necessary things are visible for the members.

Sigrid

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Uploading to ODF

Thanks Sigrid,

Everything looks ok now, I have the added menu items which allow me to
upload.

Dan, unfortunately the list strips out attachments. As you can see,
Sigrid has sorted me out ok, but thank you for your efforts.

John

On 19/01/2012 08:32, Sigrid Carrera wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On 19 January 2012 00:37, John Smith<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi, thanks for replies guys.
>>
>> In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer>  To be updated to LO 3.4',
>> in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
>> "Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
>> "View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
>> "Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
>> Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
>> relevant to uploading.
>> In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but the
>> menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to "Translate into
>> ..." on its own.
>>
>> Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green bar,
>> happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm happy with
>> that part.
>>
>> I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar
>>
>> Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.
> Not sure, but I expanded your rights (added "Editor" and "Contributor"
> to your roles), so please log in again and see, if you see the "Add
> new..." entry now.
>
> If you do, then I will need to talk with Andreas and ask which role
> includes which permissions, so that we can adapt the roles that all
> necessary things are visible for the members.
>
> Sigrid

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Uploading to ODF

      When I sent the email to the list with an attachment, I also CC'd
John so that he would receive a direct reply with the attachment. Wonder
what happen to the copy?

--Dan

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 10:26 +0000, John Smith wrote:

> Thanks Sigrid,
>
> Everything looks ok now, I have the added menu items which allow me to
> upload.
>

> Dan, unfortunately the list strips out attachments. As you can see,
> Sigrid has sorted me out ok, but thank you for your efforts.
>
> John
>
> On 19/01/2012 08:32, Sigrid Carrera wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > On 19 January 2012 00:37, John Smith<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> Hi, thanks for replies guys.
> >>
> >> In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer>  To be updated to LO 3.4',
> >> in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
> >> "Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
> >> "View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
> >> "Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
> >> Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
> >> relevant to uploading.
> >> In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but the
> >> menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to "Translate into
> >> ..." on its own.
> >>
> >> Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green bar,
> >> happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm happy with
> >> that part.
> >>
> >> I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar
> >>
> >> Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.
> > Not sure, but I expanded your rights (added "Editor" and "Contributor"
> > to your roles), so please log in again and see, if you see the "Add
> > new..." entry now.
> >
> > If you do, then I will need to talk with Andreas and ask which role
> > includes which permissions, so that we can adapt the roles that all
> > necessary things are visible for the members.
> >
> > Sigrid

Tom Tom

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi :)
The cc'd one does arrive but the person may not have realised that and just deleted both emails.  Nabble is a good way of passing attachments but cc'ing is pretty smart too.

Errr, is there any chance of someone doing a wiki-page about the uploading issue?  We seem to have a good thread worth copying and pasting to a wiki-page before editing?  perhaps an address like this?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ODFAuthors/Uploading

Shall i create the page so that people can put in the contents?  That screenshot would be great.

      When I sent the email to the list with an attachment, I also CC'd
John so that he would receive a direct reply with the attachment. Wonder
what happen to the copy?

--Dan

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 10:26 +0000, John Smith wrote:

> Thanks Sigrid,
>
> Everything looks ok now, I have the added menu items which allow me to
> upload.
>

> Dan, unfortunately the list strips out attachments. As you can see,
> Sigrid has sorted me out ok, but thank you for your efforts.
>
> John
>
> On 19/01/2012 08:32, Sigrid Carrera wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > On 19 January 2012 00:37, John Smith<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> Hi, thanks for replies guys.
> >>
> >> In the green menu bar, having clicked on 'Writer>  To be updated to LO 3.4',
> >> in the Navigation pane on the left side, I have three menu items;
> >> "Contents", "View", and "Sharing".
> >> "View" is selected by default. To the right on the green bar I have
> >> "Translate into...", "Actions", and "State:Internal draft".
> >> Each of the latter three items have dropdown submenus, none of which are
> >> relevant to uploading.
> >> In the "Contents" view, each file has a checkbox available to it, but the
> >> menu items on the right side of the green bar then reduce to "Translate into
> >> ..." on its own.
> >>
> >> Clicking a file while in the "View" setting to the left of the green bar,
> >> happily adds "Checkout" to the "Actions" menu dropdown list. I'm happy with
> >> that part.
> >>
> >> I just don't seem to have this "Add new..." on the green menu bar
> >>
> >> Not a problem with permissions or suchlike I hope.
> > Not sure, but I expanded your rights (added "Editor" and "Contributor"
> > to your roles), so please log in again and see, if you see the "Add
> > new..." entry now.
> >
> > If you do, then I will need to talk with Andreas and ask which role
> > includes which permissions, so that we can adapt the roles that all
> > necessary things are visible for the members.
> >
> > Sigrid

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Uploading to ODF

    If someone else wants to do the wiki page, I'm willing to provide
the screenshot. But then again, I'm a little curious as to what people
see in the green strip containing the menus.

--Dan

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 11:25 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> The cc'd one does arrive but the person may not have realised that and just deleted both emails.  Nabble is a good way of passing attachments but cc'ing is pretty smart too.
>
> Errr, is there any chance of someone doing a wiki-page about the uploading issue?  We seem to have a good thread worth copying and pasting to a wiki-page before editing?  perhaps an address like this?
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ODFAuthors/Uploading
>
> Shall i create the page so that people can put in the contents?  That screenshot would be great.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Tom Tom

Re: Uploading to ODF

Superb thread everyone!  Sigrid and Dan were stars but it was good of John to ask in the first place.  Creating a wiki-page went a bit weird from this machine (my boss's but booted into Ubuntu so he wont know (unless he reads this thread of course!)).  The menus at the top should have been

{{TopMenu}}{{Menu}}{{OrigLang|}}

but i added a wrong one from a wrong page and got an extra blue line that is just blatantly wrong for this page.  Also i missed out adding a ToC!  I can sort these things later but i think i need to reboot this machine.

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Uploading to ODF

Dan,
I've checked through my mail folders and there's no sign of the cc'd
copy. I keep this email address for LO only so if it arrives it'll be
amongst all my other messages from the list.
  I'll have a look directly on Yahoo, as I use Thunderbird as my email
client.
I did check Nabble earlier to see if that had the attachment but no luck
there.

John

On 19/01/2012 11:21, Dan Lewis wrote:

>        When I sent the email to the list with an attachment, I also CC'd
> John so that he would receive a direct reply with the attachment. Wonder
> what happen to the copy?
>
> --Dan
>

> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 10:26 +0000, John Smith wrote:
>> Thanks Sigrid,
>>
>> Everything looks ok now, I have the added menu items which allow me to
>> upload.
>>

>> Dan, unfortunately the list strips out attachments. As you can see,
>> Sigrid has sorted me out ok, but thank you for your efforts.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On 19/01/2012 08:32, Sigrid Carrera wrote:
>>> Hi John,

>>> Not sure, but I expanded your rights (added "Editor" and "Contributor"
>>> to your roles), so please log in again and see, if you see the "Add
>>> new..." entry now.
>>>
>>> If you do, then I will need to talk with Andreas and ask which role
>>> includes which permissions, so that we can adapt the roles that all
>>> necessary things are visible for the members.
>>>
>>> Sigrid

Tom Tom

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi :)

John, don't worry about the screen-shot.
1.  Dan has a copy for the wiki-page.
2.  You have already solved the problem for yourself.
So, there is no need to worry about it now ;)  All good :)
JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Uploading to ODF

Thanks Tom.
My interest was only in wondering if the list did something to CC's, as
it does to attachments.
I'm happy with things at the moment.
John

On 19/01/2012 15:19, Tom wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> John, don't worry about the screen-shot.
> 1.  Dan has a copy for the wiki-page.
> 2.  You have already solved the problem for yourself.
> So, there is no need to worry about it now ;)  All good :)
> Regards from
> Tom :)

eskroni eskroni

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi Tom,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:40:05 +0000 (GMT)
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sigrid :)
> Please could you set-up a login for me too?  I haven't got anything
> to add at the moment so it's not urgent. Regards from
> Tom :)

I've setup an account for you. You should have received a message with
a link to change your password.

Btw, I gave you the very same rights, that I also gave to John. So you
should be able to see the things I and Dan described in our replys to
him.

If you have any more questions: Please ask. :)

Sigrid

Tom Tom

Re: Uploading to ODF

Hi :)
Thanks :)  It looks good.  Not as rough as i was expecting!

I like the idea of having a central folder to upload images from all the guides into although having a zip-file beside the chapters was also a good way of dealing with the issue there.  It looks like quite a few people have put a lot of work into getting chapters up there.  There are a lot missing but it's good to see that they are appearing.

No-one seems to be uploading the screen-shots separately so if that old problem recurrs we might be stuck unless they are the same images we have on older versions.  Can people try to put a copy of any newer screen-shots they take into the folder on ODFAuthors?

Many thanks Sigrid! and all! :)