Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

libroffice.dev libroffice.dev

Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

We are recently switched from AOO to LO. In the release notes a possible
removal of ActiveX is announced.
You are asking for information about the use case so here we are:

We are using in our company a selfmade ERP system which is grown for
more than 15 years now. For historical reasons the system is written in
Delphi. At the beginning MS Office was used as "office frontend", since
about 10 years OOo/AOO/LO. The main workflow is using calc for business
calculation and writer as a kind of report tool. Most information from
the main database is delivered via ActiveX to calc. After working in
calc the information are read back and used to create documents in
writer. The complete project and document management (and many more) is
done by our ERP.

I know there are others and probably more elegant ways and about once a
year we are discussing to change that and finding the "big solution" -
but this is a huge and expensive project.

Removing ActiveX from LO will be a showstopper and nail us to the last
supported release - or bring us back to AOO, who knows.

Best regards
Joergen Pisarz
Bryan Quigley-3 Bryan Quigley-3

re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

Welcome and thanks for responding to notice!

You're the first person (AFAICT) who has written in response to the
deprecation notice.   My original intention was to remove it from the
5.2 release if we got no responses to that notice (that obviously
hasn't happened).

At this point the soonest release we could remove it from is 5.4
(which might be around Aug 2017).  It's far from scheduled though.

We really don't have much data to base this decision on, so I'll ask
you instead.  Knowing keeping support has an impact on LibreOffice
development, when do you think is reasonable for ActiveX support to be
removed?

What Windows version are you running?

Kind regards,
Bryan

[The whole original thread - quite long]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2015-December/071580.html
Mike Kaganski Mike Kaganski

Just wanted to mention two (now discontinued) projects that aimed to provide alternative ActiveX MS Office-compatible APIs for OpenOffice.org: AutomateIT! (https://sourceforge.net/projects/automateit/) and UniOffice (http://wiki.etersoft.ru/UniOffice, http://ftp.etersoft.ru/pub/Etersoft/UniOffice@Etersoft/). They are open-source, and may be of some interest if someone wants to take the code and improve/maintain it. In Russia, there were a number of working solutions based on them, so they are at least working starting point.

Removing ActiveX from LO will be a showstopper and nail us to the last supported release - or bring us back to AOO, who knows.

Best regards
Joergen Pisarz

Mike Kaganski

SOS SOS

re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

Bryan,
Please clarify, will stuff like

oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Still working after removing ActiveX?
If not: then lots off API code will been broken and this will been a BIG regression ?

Greetz

Fernand

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Am 25.01.2017 um 20:43 schrieb Bryan Quigley:

> Welcome and thanks for responding to notice!
>
> You're the first person (AFAICT) who has written in response to the
> deprecation notice.   My original intention was to remove it from the
> 5.2 release if we got no responses to that notice (that obviously
> hasn't happened).
>
> At this point the soonest release we could remove it from is 5.4
> (which might be around Aug 2017).  It's far from scheduled though.
>
> We really don't have much data to base this decision on, so I'll ask
> you instead.  Knowing keeping support has an impact on LibreOffice
> development, when do you think is reasonable for ActiveX support to be
> removed?

IMHO ActiveX (aka COM) is a major technology in Windows, even if it will
not be developed further because of .NET. A lot of software packages
using this technology and I believe it will never be removed from
Windows. Even if it disappears completely from internet services it will
stay under the hood of Windows.
But I also thought in the late 1970's that Pascal is the best
programming language ever and will be the #1 in the future. Or when Java
was introduced that this technology will die fast. So don't give too
much on my opinion...

So I can't answer the question. If the automation bridge is removed, we
will stay with the last supported version of LO until we decide to get a
new ERP.

I didn't look into the code and I don't know how ActiveX is implemented.
But if it doesn't need to be touched when something in UNO changes, is
there a need to remove it?

> What Windows version are you running?

Windows 7

> Kind regards,
> Bryan
>
> [The whole original thread - quite long]
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2015-December/071580.html
Best regards
Jörgen Pisarz

Am 25.01.2017 um 21:31 schrieb Kaganski Mike:

> Just wanted to mention two (now discontinued) projects that aimed to
> provide alternative ActiveX MS Office-compatible APIs for
> OpenOffice.org: AutomateIT!
> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/automateit/) and UniOffice
> (http://wiki.etersoft.ru/UniOffice,
> http://ftp.etersoft.ru/pub/Etersoft/UniOffice@Etersoft/). They are
> open-source, and may be of some interest if someone wants to take the
> code and improve/maintain it. In Russia, there were a number of
> working solutions based on them, so they are at least working starting
> point.

Thanks for the information.
I looked into the sources. Both using ActiveX to control OOo. They are
only translators which forms OOo-style interfaces to MSOffice-style
interfaces.
Both will not work anymore if ActiveX support is removed.

> --
> Best regards,
> Mike Kaganski
Best regards
Jörgen Pisarz

Bryan Quigley-3 Bryan Quigley-3

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

Hi.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Am 25.01.2017 um 20:43 schrieb Bryan Quigley:
>>
>> Welcome and thanks for responding to notice!
>>
>> You're the first person (AFAICT) who has written in response to the
>> deprecation notice.   My original intention was to remove it from the
>> 5.2 release if we got no responses to that notice (that obviously
>> hasn't happened).
>>
>> At this point the soonest release we could remove it from is 5.4
>> (which might be around Aug 2017).  It's far from scheduled though.
>>
>> We really don't have much data to base this decision on, so I'll ask
>> you instead.  Knowing keeping support has an impact on LibreOffice
>> development, when do you think is reasonable for ActiveX support to be
>> removed?
>

> IMHO ActiveX (aka COM) is a major technology in Windows, even if it will not
> be developed further because of .NET.

Looking back over my previous attempt, I think you might not be
affected.  (In any case COM/ATL support would not be dropped)

> A lot of software packages using this
> technology and I believe it will never be removed from Windows. Even if it
> disappears completely from internet services it will stay under the hood of
> Windows.
> But I also thought in the late 1970's that Pascal is the best programming
> language ever and will be the #1 in the future. Or when Java was introduced
> that this technology will die fast. So don't give too much on my opinion...
>
> So I can't answer the question. If the automation bridge is removed, we will
> stay with the last supported version of LO until we decide to get a new ERP.
>
> I didn't look into the code and I don't know how ActiveX is implemented. But
> if it doesn't need to be touched when something in UNO changes, is there a
> need to remove it?

It has been getting touched, but if I remember correctly we don't have
good coverage there.

I would suggest testing newer builds of LibreOffice to make sure it
keeps working as you expect.

The other problem was not having good test cases for making changes to
the code.  I do note in my original release notes "We specifically
want feedback if you use ActiveX to embed LibreOffice components into
your application."  Our original intention was to remove the plugin
that allows you to embed LibreOffice inside other applications (like
IE) using ActiveX.  Without test cases that worked, we weren't able to
ensure we wouldn't break something.

I don't currently have time to pursue this right now, but would be
interested in testing some custom builds to ensure that we remove the
right part of ActiveX while your use case keeps working?

Kind regards,
Bryan

>> What Windows version are you running?
>

> Windows 7
>

>> Kind regards,
>> Bryan
>>
>> [The whole original thread - quite long]
>>
>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2015-December/071580.html
>
> Best regards
> Jörgen Pisarz
Bryan Quigley-3 Bryan Quigley-3

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

I don't believe it would be affected, but it would need to be tested to be sure.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 3:43 PM, sos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bryan,
> Please clarify, will stuff like
>
> oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>
> Still working after removing ActiveX?
> If not: then lots off API code will been broken and this will been a BIG
> regression ?
>
> Greetz
>
> Fernand
>

> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

It would be much nicer to have a Pascal bridge rather than to support
the proprietary ActiveX protocol. Some references are on the
Freepascal wiki http://wiki.freepascal.org/Office_Automation

> We are recently switched from AOO to LO. In the release notes a possible
> removal of ActiveX is announced.
> You are asking for information about the use case so here we are:
>
> We are using in our company a selfmade ERP system which is grown for more
> than 15 years now. For historical reasons the system is written in Delphi.
> At the beginning MS Office was used as "office frontend", since about 10
> years OOo/AOO/LO. The main workflow is using calc for business calculation
> and writer as a kind of report tool. Most information from the main database
> is delivered via ActiveX to calc. After working in calc the information are
> read back and used to create documents in writer. The complete project and
> document management (and many more) is done by our ERP.
>
> I know there are others and probably more elegant ways and about once a year
> we are discussing to change that and finding the "big solution" - but this
> is a huge and expensive project.
>
> Removing ActiveX from LO will be a showstopper and nail us to the last
> supported release - or bring us back to AOO, who knows.
>
> Best regards
> Joergen Pisarz
SOS SOS

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

Ok
Any idea how we can test the behaviour with ActiveX removed ?

Am 27.01.2017 um 18:03 schrieb Bryan Quigley:
> Looking back over my previous attempt, I think you might not be
> affected.  (In any case COM/ATL support would not be dropped)

> The other problem was not having good test cases for making changes to
> the code.  I do note in my original release notes "We specifically
> want feedback if you use ActiveX to embed LibreOffice components into
> your application."  Our original intention was to remove the plugin
> that allows you to embed LibreOffice inside other applications (like
> IE) using ActiveX.  Without test cases that worked, we weren't able to
> ensure we wouldn't break something.
Ah, maybe we were talking about different things.
Do you mean the ability i.e. to put an LO calc document as object into a
MS word document, and when activating the object the LO menu appears and
take over control? I was talking about the pure automation through COM,
remotely working on LO documents or gathering information.

ActiveX is more likely a marketing buzzword used for many aspects of the
COM technology.

So, no, we don't use that OLE stuff. I can remember from the early days
of OLE it was slow and had poor stability, so I never used that.

Best regards
Jörgen
Bryan Quigley-3 Bryan Quigley-3

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

To test most* of what I proposed to remove: During Install disable the
ActiveX control.  (Ideally with a fresh install)

AFAICT OLE is actually also separate (but if it's not we don't want to
break that).  It works fine on Linux (and I don't have a copy of MS
Office to test with on Windows).

>ActiveX is more likely a marketing buzzword used for many aspects of the COM technology.
Yes, I've found that a lot.  Not a clear line in the sand for what it is.

Thanks both if you can test!
Bryan

*We'd still want to confirm with an actual build to be sure.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 6:24 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 27.01.2017 um 18:03 schrieb Bryan Quigley:
>>
>> Looking back over my previous attempt, I think you might not be
>> affected.  (In any case COM/ATL support would not be dropped)
>

>> The other problem was not having good test cases for making changes to
>> the code.  I do note in my original release notes "We specifically
>> want feedback if you use ActiveX to embed LibreOffice components into
>> your application."  Our original intention was to remove the plugin
>> that allows you to embed LibreOffice inside other applications (like
>> IE) using ActiveX.  Without test cases that worked, we weren't able to
>> ensure we wouldn't break something.
>
> Ah, maybe we were talking about different things.
> Do you mean the ability i.e. to put an LO calc document as object into a MS
> word document, and when activating the object the LO menu appears and take
> over control? I was talking about the pure automation through COM, remotely
> working on LO documents or gathering information.
>
> ActiveX is more likely a marketing buzzword used for many aspects of the COM
> technology.
>
> So, no, we don't use that OLE stuff. I can remember from the early days of
> OLE it was slow and had poor stability, so I never used that.
>
> Best regards
> Jörgen
Lionel Elie Mamane Lionel Elie Mamane

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

I think what he meant is that rewriting their ERP to another API to
drive LibreOffice would be quite some work for them, and not gonna
happen except if forced kicking and screaming.

In principle, I like to support these kinds of universal (in this case
"universal on a platform") APIs; are we deprecating / yanking only
ActiveX or the whole COM Automation / OLE / ... bridge (insofar as
these differ, I'm a bit lost in the Microsoft terminology)?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 09:19:33PM +0100, Heiko Tietze wrote:

> It would be much nicer to have a Pascal bridge rather than to support
> the proprietary ActiveX protocol. Some references are on the
> Freepascal wiki http://wiki.freepascal.org/Office_Automation

> > We are recently switched from AOO to LO. In the release notes a possible
> > removal of ActiveX is announced.
> > You are asking for information about the use case so here we are:
> >
> > We are using in our company a selfmade ERP system which is grown for more
> > than 15 years now. For historical reasons the system is written in Delphi.
> > At the beginning MS Office was used as "office frontend", since about 10
> > years OOo/AOO/LO. The main workflow is using calc for business calculation
> > and writer as a kind of report tool. Most information from the main database
> > is delivered via ActiveX to calc. After working in calc the information are
> > read back and used to create documents in writer. The complete project and
> > document management (and many more) is done by our ERP.
> >
> > I know there are others and probably more elegant ways and about once a year
> > we are discussing to change that and finding the "big solution" - but this
> > is a huge and expensive project.
> >
> > Removing ActiveX from LO will be a showstopper and nail us to the last
> > supported release - or bring us back to AOO, who knows.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Joergen Pisarz
Bryan Quigley-3 Bryan Quigley-3

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

I believe it's just the ActiveX plugin which was designed to view
LibreOffice documents through IE.  Unfortunately, we did not have a
test case for other COM automation to confirm if that's the case.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Lionel Elie Mamane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think what he meant is that rewriting their ERP to another API to
> drive LibreOffice would be quite some work for them, and not gonna
> happen except if forced kicking and screaming.
>
> In principle, I like to support these kinds of universal (in this case
> "universal on a platform") APIs; are we deprecating / yanking only
> ActiveX or the whole COM Automation / OLE / ... bridge (insofar as
> these differ, I'm a bit lost in the Microsoft terminology)?
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 09:19:33PM +0100, Heiko Tietze wrote:
>> It would be much nicer to have a Pascal bridge rather than to support
>> the proprietary ActiveX protocol. Some references are on the
>> Freepascal wiki http://wiki.freepascal.org/Office_Automation

>> > We are recently switched from AOO to LO. In the release notes a possible
>> > removal of ActiveX is announced.
>> > You are asking for information about the use case so here we are:
>> >
>> > We are using in our company a selfmade ERP system which is grown for more
>> > than 15 years now. For historical reasons the system is written in Delphi.
>> > At the beginning MS Office was used as "office frontend", since about 10
>> > years OOo/AOO/LO. The main workflow is using calc for business calculation
>> > and writer as a kind of report tool. Most information from the main database
>> > is delivered via ActiveX to calc. After working in calc the information are
>> > read back and used to create documents in writer. The complete project and
>> > document management (and many more) is done by our ERP.
>> >
>> > I know there are others and probably more elegant ways and about once a year
>> > we are discussing to change that and finding the "big solution" - but this
>> > is a huge and expensive project.
>> >
>> > Removing ActiveX from LO will be a showstopper and nail us to the last
>> > supported release - or bring us back to AOO, who knows.
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> > Joergen Pisarz
libroffice.dev libroffice.dev

Re: Usage of ActiveX in Libre Office

I did today a quick test on a Windows 7 (32Bit) computer.

AOO 4.1.1 was de-installed completely first and I verified that COM and
OLE didn't worked anymore.
After that LOO 5.2.5.1 was installed with deactivated ActiveX support.

Both COM and OLE are working. Automation through our ERP is working and
I could embed a calc document into MSWord and edit it.

So sorry for upsetting the apple cart.
cheers
Jörgen

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:49 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did today a quick test on a Windows 7 (32Bit) computer.
>
> AOO 4.1.1 was de-installed completely first and I verified that COM and OLE
> didn't worked anymore.
> After that LOO 5.2.5.1 was installed with deactivated ActiveX support.
>
> Both COM and OLE are working. Automation through our ERP is working and I
> could embed a calc document into MSWord and edit it.
>
> So sorry for upsetting the apple cart.

Quite the contrary.  Thank you a ton for doing this testing!  This
means we can move forward with removing that bit knowing it shouldn't
break your ERP (or anyone's).

Thanks a bunch!
Bryan