Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Next » 12
Luuk Luuk

Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Where can i get more info on 'Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser'
i found this link:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

What is the planning with this web-enabled stuff?

--
Luuk

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Tom Tom

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Hi :)
Were there any good answers to this?  I know i can view files in my web-browser (if i have the right add-on for my browser) but is anyone able to edit yet!?

>________________________________

Luuk Luuk

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Not any good answers, and not any bad answers.....
No answers at all..... ;(

Seems no one is interested in being able to edit via a browser

williamdrescher williamdrescher

On 2/23/2013 3:00 PM, Luuk wrote:
> Not any good answers, and not any bad answers.....
> No answers at all..... ;(
>
> Seems no one is interested in being able to edit via a browser

I can not imagine why I would want to.
Why would I want to ?

--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com

David Lastovicka David Lastovicka

bill <william <at> techservsys.com> writes:

> On 2/23/2013 3:00 PM, Luuk wrote:
> > Not any good answers, and not any bad answers.....
> > No answers at all..... ;(
> >
> > Seems no one is interested in being able to edit via a browser
>
> I can not imagine why I would want to.
> Why would I want to ?

Because from anywhere I could connect to my home computer and edit my
libreoffice documents directly on this home computer without caring about
their synchronization or about
the fact whether libreoffice is installed on the computer that I happened to
be at.

Cley Faye Cley Faye

2013/11/12 David Lastovicka <[hidden email]>

> bill <william <at> techservsys.com> writes:
>

> > On 2/23/2013 3:00 PM, Luuk wrote:
> > > Not any good answers, and not any bad answers.....
> > > No answers at all..... ;(
> > >
> > > Seems no one is interested in being able to edit via a browser
> >
> > I can not imagine why I would want to.
> > Why would I want to ?
> >

> Because from anywhere I could connect to my home computer and edit my
> libreoffice documents directly on this home computer without caring about
> their synchronization or about
> the fact whether libreoffice is installed on the computer that I happened
> be at.

​This might not be supported anymore... it reference version 3.5, which is
quite old.

Anyway, if you're really willing to have such "functionnality", you could
always emulate it with some existing techniques (since setting up LO as a
webserver and setting acces to it from the web needs minimal technical
knowledge, I believe you're ready to use the alternatives):
- Remote desktop, there is some kind of client that run in a web browser too
- X server (even on windows!). Allow you to run any application from a
remote server, including LO. It can also perform slightly better than a
"dummy" VNC-based solution, but your mileage may vary. Also available in
the form of browser-compliant java plugins (not tested myself, but it
exists)
- Get in the code and bring this functionnality up to par yourself (just
kidding; this looks like a tremendous amount of work!)

Anyway, I don't think that adding webserver-gui functionality should lie
inside of an office suite, when there is alternatives.​

jomali jomali

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Can't you use LogMeIn.com to do what you want?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM, David Lastovicka <[hidden email]>wrote:

> bill <william <at> techservsys.com> writes:
>

> > On 2/23/2013 3:00 PM, Luuk wrote:
> > > Not any good answers, and not any bad answers.....
> > > No answers at all..... ;(
> > >
> > > Seems no one is interested in being able to edit via a browser
> >
> > I can not imagine why I would want to.
> > Why would I want to ?
> >

> Because from anywhere I could connect to my home computer and edit my
> libreoffice documents directly on this home computer without caring about
> their synchronization or about
> the fact whether libreoffice is installed on the computer that I happened
> be at.

Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Den 12.11.2013 16:47, skreiv jomali:
> Can't you use LogMeIn.com to do what you want?
I am using Dropbox for that purposes. It is free up to a few Gb of storage.
Kolbjoern

--
Kolbjørn Stuestøl, Stuestøl, 4580 Lyngdal
Telefon: (47) 38 34 78 62,  (47) 917 81 125

jomali jomali

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Kolbjørn Stuestøl
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Den 12.11.2013 16:47, skreiv jomali:
>
>> Can't you use LogMeIn.com to do what you want?
>>
> I am using Dropbox for that purposes. It is free up to a few Gb of storage.
> Kolbjoern

Dropbox != LogMeIn. Dropbox just stores files. LogMeIn accesses your remote
computer, allowing you to control it as if you were sitting at its
keyboard. It, too, is free.

<snip>

Pedro Pedro

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote
Den 12.11.2013 16:47, skreiv jomali:
> Can't you use LogMeIn.com to do what you want?
I am using Dropbox for that purposes. It is free up to a few Gb of storage.
LogMeIn is not the same. You would be running LibreOffice on the remote computer.

Dropbox is not the same. You would need to download the full office suite to the local computer and then run it locally.

If you want to run a local copy on any computer it is far more efficient to run a portable version (e.g. X-LibreOffice) from your own pen (it only needs some 400Mb)

Running LibreOffice from a Web Server would be fantastic...
Cley Faye Cley Faye

2013/11/12 Pedro <[hidden email]>

> Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote
> > Den 12.11.2013 16:47, skreiv jomali:
> >> Can't you use LogMeIn.com to do what you want?
> > I am using Dropbox for that purposes. It is free up to a few Gb of
> > storage.
>
> LogMeIn is not the same. You would be running LibreOffice on the remote
> computer.
>
> Dropbox is not the same. You would need to download the full office suite
> the local computer and then run it locally.
>
> If you want to run a local copy on any computer it is far more efficient to
> run a portable version (e.g. X-LibreOffice) from your own pen (it only
> needs
> some 400Mb)
>
> Running LibreOffice from a Web Server would be fantastic...

For the record, the provided wiki page reference the broadway backend of
GTK, which mean that the software is actually running on the server, and
only displayed in the browser. It's not different that what you'd achieve
with logmein or X forwarding or VNC (etc...).

​​Curious peoples can try the various tutorials on the web (not always
straightforward...) to enable broadway as a GTK backend on their systems
globally, and thus use it with libreoffice (or anything using gtk3 I
suppose). At least under linux.

Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Den 12.11.2013 19:21, skreiv Pedro:

> Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote
>> Den 12.11.2013 16:47, skreiv jomali:
>>> Can't you use LogMeIn.com to do what you want?
>> I am using Dropbox for that purposes. It is free up to a few Gb of
>> storage.
> LogMeIn is not the same. You would be running LibreOffice on the remote
> computer.
>
> Dropbox is not the same. You would need to download the full office suite to
> the local computer and then run it locally.
To be a bit more precise: My team is running LibreOffice on all
computers. Using Dropbox to store the generated common text files or
whatever only.
Have to check out LogMeIn. Did not know about it.

> If you want to run a local copy on any computer it is far more efficient to
> run a portable version (e.g. X-LibreOffice) from your own pen (it only needs
> some 400Mb)
>
> Running LibreOffice from a Web Server would be fantastic...
Yes, I agree.
Kolbjoern

jmadero jmadero

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

>> run a portable version (e.g. X-LibreOffice) from your own pen (it
>> only needs
>> some 400Mb)
>>
>> Running LibreOffice from a Web Server would be fantastic...
> Yes, I agree.
> Kolbjoern

https://www.rollapp.com/search?query=libreoffice

Pedro Pedro

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Hi Gabriel

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
For the record, the provided wiki page reference the broadway backend of
GTK, which mean that the software is actually running on the server, and
only displayed in the browser. It's not different that what you'd achieve
with logmein or X forwarding or VNC (etc...).
Running software on a remote PC (like logmein or VNC) usually doesn't allow the applications there to open and save local files. Does this GTK implementation allow that?

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
​​Curious peoples can try the various tutorials on the web (not always
straightforward...) to enable broadway as a GTK backend on their systems
globally, and thus use it with libreoffice (or anything using gtk3 I
suppose). At least under linux.
Hum... Sounds like a linux thing... I think I will stick with Joel's suggestion :)

Thanks!
Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

2013/11/12 Pedro <[hidden email]>

> Hi Gabriel
>

> Gabriel Risterucci wrote
> > For the record, the provided wiki page reference the broadway backend of
> > GTK, which mean that the software is actually running on the server, and
> > only displayed in the browser. It's not different that what you'd achieve
> > with logmein or X forwarding or VNC (etc...).
>
> Running software on a remote PC (like logmein or VNC) usually doesn't allow
> the applications there to open and save local files. Does this GTK
> implementation allow that?

​I'm having a hard t​ime compiling libreoffice with gtk3 support (or
rather, my VM is having a hard time :D).
However, I did build gtk3 with the broadway module and launched an
application (gedit) on my linux box, and "showed" it on my windows box.
It's really only the display that goes to the browser, as I see my linux FS
and nothing else.

It's still interesting, though. If my LO build end anytime soon *and* work
with gtk3, I'll post more details.

> Gabriel Risterucci wrote
> > ​​Curious peoples can try the various tutorials on the web (not always
> > straightforward...) to enable broadway as a GTK backend on their systems
> > globally, and thus use it with libreoffice (or anything using gtk3 I
> > suppose). At least under linux.
>
> Hum... Sounds like a linux thing... I think I will stick with Joel's
> suggestion :)

Yes it is! Hehe.
Although it might be possible under windows, building the needed parts on a
linux system is usually easier as build tools and source packages are
easier to come by.​​

Pedro Pedro

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Hi Gabriel, Joel, all

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
I'm having a hard t​ime compiling libreoffice with gtk3 support (or
rather, my VM is having a hard time :D).
However, I did build gtk3 with the broadway module and launched an
application (gedit) on my linux box, and "showed" it on my windows box.
It's really only the display that goes to the browser, as I see my linux FS
and nothing else.

It's still interesting, though. If my LO build end anytime soon *and* work
with gtk3, I'll post more details.
Please do. Thanks!

Joel, thank you for the link.

Unfortunately it seems to be a 14 day trial only. They do mention an Ad supported version but I couldn't find it.
It requires a Gmail login and then you need to have some online (aka cloud) storage.
Since I really didn't want them to have access to my Dropbox or Google Drive, my experiment ended briefly.
I was surprised to see that they are still using LO 3.6.5.2 (not even 3.6.7.2...) but given LO 4.x problems with

I might give it another run when I create a separate cloud storage ;) Thanks again!

Cheers,
Pedro
Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

13/11/12 Pedro <[hidden email]>

> Hi Gabriel, Joel, all
>

> Gabriel Risterucci wrote
> > I'm having a hard t​ime compiling libreoffice with gtk3 support (or
> > rather, my VM is having a hard time :D).
> > However, I did build gtk3 with the broadway module and launched an
> > application (gedit) on my linux box, and "showed" it on my windows box.
> > It's really only the display that goes to the browser, as I see my linux
> > FS
> > and nothing else.
> >
> > It's still interesting, though. If my LO build end anytime soon *and*
> work
> > with gtk3, I'll post more details.
>
> Please do. Thanks!

Ok, so I built LibreOffice 4.2.0.0.alpha1 with GTK3 support, as it's needed
to use the broadway backend it provide.
The result is less than stellar, unfortunately. I don't know how well LO is
written to support GTK3 yet, but there's a lot of improvements needed to
make this usable:
- Display's all whonky: menu items don't always show, have a black
background, when scrolling a document the content disappear...
- Windows/Dialogs not always opening/closing
- Crash when using fullscreen functionalities
- General unresponsiveness (on a local connection)

Also, not that I tried this with GTK 3.4.2, far from the last version.

However, even if the graphical part is fixed, the following will stay true:
- The application runs 100% on the server. Think of it as an X11
application sending it's windows to a remote machine: only the display is
deported. Execution, filesystem, all is from the server.
- Shortcuts will likely be an issue
- Response time will be a major setback: you press a key, it have to go to
the server, then the server send back a display update to the browser.
Running locally it's somewhat noticeable; over the internet that would be
problematic (although useable).

Don't know exactly where the fault lies, but some other gtk applications
works well, so I believe it's a mix between broadway not being perfect and
LibreOffice doing funny stuff to GTK.​​

You can see it "in action" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzoMEXRAhg.
You might want to cut the sound though, my spoken english is far from
pleasant ;)

If I get around running a more recent version of GTK3 without breaking my
system, and if it improve things in a way that make it usable, I'll tell
here.

Pedro Pedro

Re: Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

Hi Gabriel

Thank you for the update :)

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
Ok, so I built LibreOffice 4.2.0.0.alpha1 with GTK3 support, as it's needed
to use the broadway backend it provide.

--snip--

If I get around running a more recent version of GTK3 without breaking my
system, and if it improve things in a way that make it usable, I'll tell
here.
Maybe you should start first with 3.6.7.2 (as I mentioned in my previous mail the guys at rollap are still running 3.5.7.2...) and maybe try the stable 4.1.3.2

Please do keep us posted on progress!

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
You can see it "in action" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzoMEXRAhg.
You might want to cut the sound though, my spoken english is far from
pleasant ;)
It looks like it's running quite fast (actually, faster than rollap...).
I expected your English to have an Italian accent but it is clearly French :)
In any case it is clearly understandable!

Best regards,
Pedro
nabbler nabbler

On 16/02/2013, Luuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Where can i get more info on 'Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser'
> i found this link:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser
>
> What is the planning with this web-enabled stuff?

What is wrong with using webdav?

Cley Faye Cley Faye

2013/11/13 e-letter <[hidden email]>

> On 16/02/2013, Luuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Where can i get more info on 'Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser'
> > i found this link:
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser
> >
> > What is the planning with this web-enabled stuff?
> >

> What is wrong with using webdav?

​Nothing I suppose, but the point here is to actually have access to a
piece of software from the browser, not just sharing files :)​

Next » 12