Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

James Knott James Knott

Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

Occasionally on this list, someone asks about open source email &
calendar that can be used with LibreOffice.  Here are instructions for
using Google Calendar with Thunderbird.  You can use the Thunderbird
Add-Ons manager to install both Lightning and "Provider for Google
Calendar", instead of going to a web site and downloading the package.
This also works with the email program in Seamonkey, but Thunderbird
works better with LO.

https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/using-lightning-google-calendar

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

On 2013-09-30 1:45 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Occasionally on this list, someone asks about open source email &
> calendar that can be used with LibreOffice.  Here are instructions for
> using Google Calendar with Thunderbird.  You can use the Thunderbird
> Add-Ons manager to install both Lightning and "Provider for Google
> Calendar", instead of going to a web site and downloading the package.
> This also works with the email program in Seamonkey, but Thunderbird
> works better with LO.
>
> https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/using-lightning-google-calendar

Just be aware that it isn't perfect.

The main problem is working with invitations from others.

If someone sends  you an invite, yes, you can accept it and it gets
added to your calendar.

But, if that same someone then sends an UPDATE to the existing event,
and you UPDATE it, it spams ALL of the attendees with a BRAND NEW invite
from YOU for the new/updated event.

It is basically non workable in a corporate environment.

This is why we are currently working on getting SOGo set up locally. If
you are technically inclined, while more work, it is a MUCH better way
to go if you are using the Calendar for anything other than personal use.

For personal use, it works well, although it still has issues
occasionally...

Tom Tom

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

Hi :)
Is that
http://www.sogo.nu/english.html

I might be interested in trying to get that working in a couple of weeks but first need to see some screen-shots and stuff so i will hunt around their site later.  So far i have been stuck on trying to get Evolution to work because it's practically a drop-in replacement for Outlook but unfortunately i got into a big row on their forum/mailing list.
Thanks and regards form
Tom :)

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

Le 30/09/2013 19:45, James Knott a écrit :

Hi all,

> Occasionally on this list, someone asks about open source email &
> calendar that can be used with LibreOffice.  Here are instructions for
> using Google Calendar with Thunderbird.  You can use the Thunderbird
> Add-Ons manager to install both Lightning and "Provider for Google
> Calendar", instead of going to a web site and downloading the package.

Also bear in mind that the Google Data provider and Lightning extension
are said not to work with the newest version of Google's calendar
communication protocol API meaning that if nothing is done about it, the
whole thing will become a white elephant.

Alex

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

I am curious as to how the Provider works.
Thank you for telling us about it.
I installed Provider in Thunderbird last night and see that I now have a
tab for Google Calendar next to my tab for Lightening.
My Google calendars display, and I was able to add an event to Google
calendar from the Thunderbird window, but it is not showing up in the
Thunderbird/Lightening calendar. The "synchronize" button is now active
on the Lightening tab, but nothing seems to happen when I click it.

So I guess what I am asking is does the Provider add-on just let me
see/update Google Calendar in a tab in the Thunderbird window, or is
there a way to use it to synchronize the Google calendars with the
Lightening calendars?
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

--
Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

~William J. H. Boetcker

James Knott James Knott

Ruth Ann wrote:

> I am curious as to how the Provider works.
> Thank you for telling us about it.
> I installed Provider in Thunderbird last night and see that I now have
> a tab for Google Calendar next to my tab for Lightening.
> My Google calendars display, and I was able to add an event to Google
> calendar from the Thunderbird window, but it is not showing up in the
> Thunderbird/Lightening calendar. The "synchronize" button is now
> active on the Lightening tab, but nothing seems to happen when I click
> it.
>
> So I guess what I am asking is does the Provider add-on just let me
> see/update Google Calendar in a tab in the Thunderbird window, or is
> there a way to use it to synchronize the Google calendars with the
> Lightening calendars?

I'm not sure how you got that.  I have a calendar tab next to the tab.
The calendar shows my own personal Google calendar, along with that for
a group I belong to.  I don't have a separate "Google Calendar" tab.
Lightning syncs with both my own and the group calendar.  I'm not sure
what you did wrong.  Perhaps the best thing to do would be to remove the
provider & Lightning and start over.

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

On 10/1/2013 9:02 AM, James Knott wrote:
> I'm not sure how you got that.  I have a calendar tab next to the tab.
> The calendar shows my own personal Google calendar, along with that for
> a group I belong to.  I don't have a separate "Google Calendar" tab.
> Lightning syncs with both my own and the group calendar.  I'm not sure
> what you did wrong.  Perhaps the best thing to do would be to remove the
> provider & Lightning and start over.
I have been using Lightening and Google both for a long time.
In the past, I have always just made separate entries in both calendars
- synchronized them manually so to speak.
So, I have always had a "Calendar" tab next to my email tab in
Thunderbird. Then last night, when I installed the Provider add-on, I
got a third tab that says "Google Calendar" and shows all the events
from my Google calendars.
It looks like it belongs there. Are you saying that I should just have
the one "calendar" tab?
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

--
Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine
www.CameoCanine.com
[hidden email]

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

~William J. H. Boetcker

Tom Tom

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

I really like the sound of all that.  Really tightly integrated and that 'should' make it much easier for my colleagues to understand.  Hopefully even easier than outlook which is looking more and ore clunky compared to what you are describing.

I've only just about got Evolution working but might switch over to what you describe in a couple of weeks.  The one or 2 bits i am having trouble with in Evo are things i can't ask about on their lists anymore.  I really shot myself in the foot over there! :(

James Knott James Knott

Ruth Ann wrote:
> I have been using Lightening and Google both for a long time.
> In the past, I have always just made separate entries in both
> calendars - synchronized them manually so to speak.
> So, I have always had a "Calendar" tab next to my email tab in
> Thunderbird. Then last night, when I installed the Provider add-on, I
> got a third tab that says "Google Calendar" and shows all the events
> from my Google calendars.
> It looks like it belongs there. Are you saying that I should just have
> the one "calendar" tab?

Yes.  Installing Lightning enables the calendar tab.  After installing
the provider, I was then able to add the Google calendars to that tab.
So, when I look at Thunderbird, I see a tab for email and one for
calendar.  When I go to the calendar tab, I see the 2 Google calenars I
use listed on the left side, below the month calendar.  I can add as
many different calendars as I wan't, including a local one there.  To
create a new calendar, I just right click in the area at the left and
select new calendar and I go from there.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

Le 01/10/2013 15:27, Ruth Ann a écrit :

Hi Ruth,

> I have been using Lightening and Google both for a long time.
> In the past, I have always just made separate entries in both calendars
> - synchronized them manually so to speak.
> So, I have always had a "Calendar" tab next to my email tab in
> Thunderbird. Then last night, when I installed the Provider add-on, I
> got a third tab that says "Google Calendar" and shows all the events
> from my Google calendars.
> It looks like it belongs there. Are you saying that I should just have
> the one "calendar" tab?

The Google Calendar tab extension is separate and different from the
Gdata provider extension. You need the Gdata provider extension in order
to be able to set up and sync your Google Calendar within the Lightning
tab, it isn't automatic.

Please also note that the Gdata provider 0.25 currently causes
Thunderbird to hang, requiring the user to restart TB in safe mode.

How-to set it up anyway, for the brave :

James Knott James Knott

Alex Thurgood wrote:
> Please also note that the Gdata provider 0.25 currently causes
> Thunderbird to hang, requiring the user to restart TB in safe mode.

I haven't had that problem with the "Provider for Google Calendar" on
either Linux (version 24.0) or Windows (v17.0.3).  It just works.
However, I also wonder if Ruth has something else installed, such as
Google Calendar Tab.

James Knott James Knott

Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> Is that
> http://www.sogo.nu/english.html

No, nothing to do with it.  This is Google calendar in Thunderbird.

James Knott James Knott

Alex Thurgood wrote:
> Also bear in mind that the Google Data provider and Lightning
> extension are said not to work with the newest version of Google's
> calendar communication protocol API meaning that if nothing is done
> about it, the whole thing will become a white elephant.

Does the new protocol precluded them leaving the existing methods in place?

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

Oh, so now I think I understand.
As I said in a previous post, I have just been creating duplicate
calendars on both Google and Lightening.
So - my two tabs for Calendar (local) and Google Calendar (Google) each
show just "their" calendars, which happen to be pretty much the same
since I have been making dual entries.

To make my life easier and just need one entry per event, I can close
the Google Calendar tab and just use the Lightening Calendar tab if I
create a network calendar in the Lightening Calendar tab and give it my
Google address - which should then make it a Google calendar.
THAT is why the instructions for the Provider add-on described how to
find the Google calendar URL !
OK, now I think I understand.
Before I can change to just the one tab though I guess I need to
re-think how I organize my calendars. That should not be too difficult.
Thank you for explaining.
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

On 10/1/2013 11:21 AM, James Knott wrote:

> Ruth Ann wrote:
>> I have been using Lightening and Google both for a long time.
>> In the past, I have always just made separate entries in both
>> calendars - synchronized them manually so to speak.
>> So, I have always had a "Calendar" tab next to my email tab in
>> Thunderbird. Then last night, when I installed the Provider add-on, I
>> got a third tab that says "Google Calendar" and shows all the events
>> from my Google calendars.
>> It looks like it belongs there. Are you saying that I should just have
>> the one "calendar" tab?
> Yes.  Installing Lightning enables the calendar tab.  After installing
> the provider, I was then able to add the Google calendars to that tab.
> So, when I look at Thunderbird, I see a tab for email and one for
> calendar.  When I go to the calendar tab, I see the 2 Google calenars I
> use listed on the left side, below the month calendar.  I can add as
> many different calendars as I wan't, including a local one there.  To
> create a new calendar, I just right click in the area at the left and
> select new calendar and I go from there.

--
Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine
www.CameoCanine.com
[hidden email]

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

~William J. H. Boetcker

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

Thank you to everyone.
It was late last night after a very long day and I was sure I had
installed the Google Calendar Provider.
But after James' email below, I actually went in and checked. Turns out
I really had installed the Google Calendar tab - which is probably why I
was seeing the separate Google Calendar tab ;-)
So, thanks to all your information and  instructions, I have now
installed the Google Calendar Provider add-on.
I created a test calendar on Google  and successfully imported it to
Lightening tab. Then I created an event in Google, and another one in
Lightening, and both events show up in both Google and Lightening.
Now that is pretty nifty! ;-)

As for the Google Calendar Tab - well, I think I will keep it for a
while as I suspect it will come in handy while I transition from two
sets of calendars into just the one set.

This has turned out to be a very productive day.
Thank you!
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH, USA

James Knott James Knott

Ruth Ann wrote:
> Now that is pretty nifty! ;-)

You can also connect to Google Calendar with your tablet or smart
phone.  I also use gcontact sync to sync my address book with GMail.  Of
course, my tablet and phone contacts are synced too.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Using Lightning with Google Calendar | How to | Thunderbird

I deleted my local calander in the end, I didn't want a calander that I
could only use in front of the PC and I kept making the mistake of
putting appointments in the local calander I could not see during the day.
As Jame says, your phone syncs with google calander, I have stuck with
Samsungs preloaded S Planner that syncs fine. My Apple calander thing on
my macbook syncs fine and thunderbird on Win/Lin syncs fine. Appointment
reminders come up everywhere.
Steve

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

On 10/1/2013 10:15 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
> I deleted my local calander in the end, I didn't want a calander that
> I could only use in front of the PC and I kept making the mistake of
> putting appointments in the local calander I could not see during the
> day.
That was the thought I had also.
I have been setting up two new computers, and it was soooooo much easier
this time than last when I just downloaded and installed a few software
programs, entered a few user names and passwords, and then let (mostly)
Google just synchronize all my data.
Well, I did have some data to transfer, but I long ago formed the habit
of storing all my personal data in just one or two folders. So for
backup or transfer, I just have a couple of folders to remember.