VCL LineInfo dotlen and dashlen question

Chris Sherlock Chris Sherlock

VCL LineInfo dotlen and dashlen question

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the different between GetDotLen and GetDashLen in LineInfo?

You can have a situation where there are dashes and dots in lines, so does that affect anything?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Sherlock Chris Sherlock

Re: VCL LineInfo dotlen and dashlen question

Quick ping to the ML - can anyone advise me on the purpose of these functions?

Before I forget, there’s also GetDistance as well.

I’m assuming that GetDashLen is the length of each individual dash in the dashed line, GetDotLen is the length of each individual dot in a dotted line and GetDistance is the length of the distance between dashes and dots.

I’d just like to confirm this, because if so then there’s an odd bug I think Stephan van den Akker and myself have uncovered in a VCL unit test that Stephan added (not *caused* by Stephan, but uncovered).

Chris

> On 5 Mar 2016, at 12:25 PM, Chris Sherlock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me the different between GetDotLen and GetDashLen in LineInfo?
>
> You can have a situation where there are dashes and dots in lines, so does that affect anything?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Armin Le Grand-2 Armin Le Grand-2

Re: VCL LineInfo dotlen and dashlen question

Hi,

Am 08.03.2016 um 23:52 schrieb Chris Sherlock:
> Quick ping to the ML - can anyone advise me on the purpose of these functions?
>
> Before I forget, there’s also GetDistance as well.

Nothing complicated, just access methods to read the values.

A line is defined as:

(dotLen, distance) * numDot, distance (dashLen, distance) * numDash

Means: numDot dots with dotLen, followed by numDash dashes with DashLen,
all seperated by distance-gaps.

> I’m assuming that GetDashLen is the length of each individual dash in the dashed line, GetDotLen is the length of each individual dot in a dotted line and GetDistance is the length of the distance between dashes and dots.
>
> I’d just like to confirm this, because if so then there’s an odd bug I think Stephan van den Akker and myself have uncovered in a VCL unit test that Stephan added (not *caused* by Stephan, but uncovered).
>
> Chris
>
>> On 5 Mar 2016, at 12:25 PM, Chris Sherlock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me the different between GetDotLen and GetDashLen in LineInfo?
>>
>> You can have a situation where there are dashes and dots in lines, so does that affect anything?

Of course. Open LO, draw a line, choose '3 Dashes 3 Dots' as LineStyle.

>> Thanks,
>> Chris

HTH!

Sincerely,
Armin

--
ALG (PGP Key: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)

Armin Le Grand-2 Armin Le Grand-2

Re: VCL LineInfo dotlen and dashlen question

Hi again,

Am 09.03.2016 um 10:52 schrieb Armin Le Grand:

> Hi,
>
> Am 08.03.2016 um 23:52 schrieb Chris Sherlock:
>> Quick ping to the ML - can anyone advise me on the purpose of these
>> functions?
>>
>> Before I forget, there’s also GetDistance as well.
>
> Nothing complicated, just access methods to read the values.
>
> A line is defined as:
>
> (dotLen, distance) * numDot, distance (dashLen, distance) * numDash
>
> Means: numDot dots with dotLen, followed by numDash dashes with
> DashLen, all seperated by distance-gaps.

One error here - it starts with the dashes, not the dots.
It then gets repeated (plus one distance)

>> I’m assuming that GetDashLen is the length of each individual dash in
>> the dashed line, GetDotLen is the length of each individual dot in a
>> dotted line and GetDistance is the length of the distance between
>> dashes and dots.
>>
>> I’d just like to confirm this, because if so then there’s an odd bug
>> I think Stephan van den Akker and myself have uncovered in a VCL unit
>> test that Stephan added (not *caused* by Stephan, but uncovered).
>>
>> Chris
>>
>>> On 5 Mar 2016, at 12:25 PM, Chris Sherlock
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me the different between GetDotLen and GetDashLen in
>>> LineInfo?
>>>
>>> You can have a situation where there are dashes and dots in lines,
>>> so does that affect anything?
>
> Of course. Open LO, draw a line, choose '3 Dashes 3 Dots' as LineStyle.
>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris
>
> HTH!
>
> Sincerely,
> Armin
>

> --
> ALG (PGP Key: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)

ALG (PGP Key: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)

Chris Sherlock Chris Sherlock

Re: VCL LineInfo dotlen and dashlen question

> On 9 Mar 2016, at 8:52 PM, Armin Le Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.03.2016 um 23:52 schrieb Chris Sherlock:
>> Quick ping to the ML - can anyone advise me on the purpose of these functions?
>>
>> Before I forget, there’s also GetDistance as well.

[snip]

> HTH!
>
> Sincerely,
> Armin