[VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Next » 12
nik-2 nik-2

[VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi guys,

So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks
heaps to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals.
I've put together a list of all the candidates from the proposals
accumulated on the Motif page;

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif

as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list
(because it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here,
and aren't on the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above Wiki
page (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The
voting concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).

To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you
get a feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next to
the proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll filled out
by "John";
EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
Red proposal
Blue proposal, +1 John
Green proposal

It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead
of a reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted
votes (in case people omit their name).
So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;

*MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
-----------------------
Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
Christoph's "Large motif"
Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
Nik's "MessyStack"
Nik's "OpenBook"
Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
Nik's "DocumentFlower"
Nik's "FoldedPage"
Nik's "Scatter"
Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

Happy voting y'all

-Nik

(P.S. Thanks for the vote already Daniel, I'll add it to the Wiki now,
and sorry about the delay, this Email is sent at 5:00am GMT)

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

To all, they are all good ideas.
--
Jay Lozier

Tobias Bernard Tobias Bernard

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Nik's "Scatter" +1 Tobias

Christopher Stark Christopher Stark

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

*MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
-----------------------
Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
Christoph's "Large motif"
Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
Nik's "MessyStack"
Nik's "OpenBook"
Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
Nik's "DocumentFlower"
Nik's "FoldedPage"
Nik's "Scatter"  + 1 Christopher
Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

best regards
christopher

Am 19.03.2011 06:01, schrieb Nik:

> Hi guys,
>
> So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks
> heaps to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals.
> I've put together a list of all the candidates from the proposals
> accumulated on the Motif page;
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
>
> as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list
> (because it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here,
> and aren't on the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above
> Wiki page (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting).
> The voting concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).
>
> To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you
> get a feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next
> to the proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll
> filled out by "John";
> EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
> Red proposal
> Blue proposal, +1 John
> Green proposal
>
> It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead
> of a reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted
> votes (in case people omit their name).
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter"
> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"
>

> Happy voting y'all
>
> -Nik
>
> (P.S. Thanks for the vote already Daniel, I'll add it to the Wiki now,
> and sorry about the delay, this Email is sent at 5:00am GMT)

Irmhild Rogalla Irmhild Rogalla

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi @ll

Am 19.03.2011 06:01, schrieb Nik:
> Hi guys,
>
> So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired,
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------

> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

+ 1 for Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

regards
        Irmhild

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Nik, all,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Nik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks heaps
> to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals. I've put
> together a list of all the candidates from the proposals accumulated on the
> Motif page;
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
>
> as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list (because
> it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here, and aren't on
> the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above Wiki page
> (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The voting
> concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).
>
> To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you get a
> feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next to the
> proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll filled out by
> "John";
> EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
> Red proposal
> Blue proposal, +1 John
> Green proposal
>
> It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead of a
> reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted votes (in
> case people omit their name).
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter"

+1 for Nik's "Scatter"

> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

Regards,
Ivan.

Hélio José Santiago Ferreira Hélio José Santiago Ferreira

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hil all,

Nik's "Scatter" +1 Helio

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nik, all,
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Nik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks
> heaps
> > to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals. I've put
> > together a list of all the candidates from the proposals accumulated on
> the
> > Motif page;
> >
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
> >
> > as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list
> (because
> > it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here, and aren't
> on
> > the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above Wiki page
> > (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The voting
> > concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).
> >
> > To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you
> get a
> > feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next to the
> > proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll filled out by
> > "John";
> > EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
> > Red proposal
> > Blue proposal, +1 John
> > Green proposal
> >
> > It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead of
> > reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted votes (in
> > case people omit their name).
> > So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
> >
> > *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> > -----------------------
> > Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> > Christoph's "Large motif"
> > Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> > Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> > Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> > Nik's "MessyStack"
> > Nik's "OpenBook"
> > Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> > Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> > Nik's "FoldedPage"
> > Nik's "Scatter"
>
> +1 for Nik's "Scatter"
>
> > Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"
>
> Regards,
> Ivan.

Hélio José Santiago Ferreira
Linux User #384101

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Nik!

Am Samstag, den 19.03.2011, 16:01 +1100 schrieb Nik:
[...]
>  I will collate the results on the above Wiki
> page (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The
> voting concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).

Thanks for the excellent wiki page and you work here! More below ...

> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter" --> +1 for "scatter, bunch", Christoph
> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

Nik, since I've had no chance to reply within the last days ... please
let me say that the scatter proposals are absolutely amazing. Although I
still prefer the "bunch" variation, I think that it shows the potential
how the motif might evolve / be re-used for e.g. different versions of
LibreOffice. For example, how about using "stream" for a online office
suite. Or "horizon" for LibreOffice 4.x? ;-)))

Oh well, of course, we might finish the voting round first ... and maybe
improve the current LibO versions before starting to dream :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

bedipp bedipp

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Nik, all,

thank you very much for your work and dedication on this task - and
thanks to everybody providing mockups, comments and votes:

Our team evolves in a way I couldn't imagine a few months ago!

Nik schrieb:

> [...]
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
Nik's "Scatter" +1 Bernhard
> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

Scatter provides a unique look&feel, is flexible while staying
recognizable, identifies the unity as well as the diversity of our
community - it's just great!

The general color impression is a bit lighter (yellowish) than the main
LibO Green, I don't know if we have to work on this (and where: motif or
community based branding), but I just wanted to mention it in case I'll
forget it...

Best regards

Bernhard

mirek2 mirek2

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi everyone,
+1 for Nick's Scatter  - Mirek2

2011/3/19 Nik <[hidden email]>

> Hi guys,
>
> So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks heaps
> to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals. I've put
> together a list of all the candidates from the proposals accumulated on the
> Motif page;
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
>
> as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list
> (because it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here, and
> aren't on the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above Wiki page (
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The voting
> concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).
>
> To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you get
> a feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next to the
> proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll filled out by
> "John";
> EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
> Red proposal
> Blue proposal, +1 John
> Green proposal
>
> It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead of a
> reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted votes (in
> case people omit their name).
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter"
> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"
>

> Happy voting y'all
>
> -Nik
>
> (P.S. Thanks for the vote already Daniel, I'll add it to the Wiki now,
> and sorry about the delay, this Email is sent at 5:00am GMT)

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Nik,
Am 19.03.2011 06:01, schrieb Nik:

> Hi guys,
>
> So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks
> heaps to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals.
> I've put together a list of all the candidates from the proposals
> accumulated on the Motif page;
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
>
> as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list
> (because it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here,
> and aren't on the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above Wiki
> page (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The
> voting concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).
>
> To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you
> get a feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next to
> the proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll filled out
> by "John";
> EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
> Red proposal
> Blue proposal, +1 John
> Green proposal
>
> It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead
> of a reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted
> votes (in case people omit their name).
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
+1 k-j

> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter"
> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

Paulo José Amaro Paulo José Amaro

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Nik's "Scatter" +1 - Paulo
--
Paulo José O. Amaro
Computer Science student / UFSJ-MG-Brazil

Drini Nosi Drini Nosi

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

> Nik's "MessyStack" +1 Drini Nosi

Sent from my iPhone

On 19/mar/2011, at 06:01, Nik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> So the Design phase for the Motif proposals has just expired, thanks heaps to anyone that participated in the discussion and the proposals. I've put together a list of all the candidates from the proposals accumulated on the Motif page;
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
>
> as mentioned in a previous Email, we will vote on this Mailing list (because it is presumably convenient for all who are registered here, and aren't on the wiki) and I will collate the results on the above Wiki page (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Voting). The voting concludes midnight this Sunday (GMT).
>
> To vote for you preferred proposal, scan the above page quickly so you get a feeling for all the proposals, then, add a "+1 <yourname>" next to the proposal of your choice. For example, here is a fake poll filled out by "John";
> EXAMPLE PROPOSALS
> Red proposal
> Blue proposal, +1 John
> Green proposal
>
> It would help a lot if you only replied to this original Email instead of a reply posted by other members, so there is no confusing quoted votes (in case people omit their name).
> So without further ado, here are our beautiful finalists;
>
> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter"
> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"
>

> Happy voting y'all
>
> -Nik
>
> (P.S. Thanks for the vote already Daniel, I'll add it to the Wiki now,
> and sorry about the delay, this Email is sent at 5:00am GMT)

epix epix

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Nik, *

Am 19.03.2011 06:01, schrieb Nik:

> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
> -----------------------
> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
> Christoph's "Large motif"
> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
> Nik's "MessyStack"
> Nik's "OpenBook"
> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
> Nik's "FoldedPage"

Nik's "Scatter"  +1 - Erich

> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"

My daughter prefers OpenBook but it won't get a chance as it looks
like...  :-)

ciao
Erich

nik-2 nik-2

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Design!

Sorry this arrives so late, I meant to do it before I left for work
today but didn't get a chance, just finished work now.
THANKS TO ALL WHO VOTED!
The votes are in... in descending order;

10 votes for "Scatter"
1 vote for "Repeating triangles"
1 vote for "Remix of repeating triangles"
1 vote for "Messy stack"
1 vote for "Triangle patchwork"
---
14 in total

While it's not a huge sample, I'd say it's safe to assume we are going
with "Scatter" =)
I will ready the file (clean it up, flatten, then export to EPS and SVG
formats) and upload it to the wiki.
I'll update the Motif page now to show that voting is complete and move
all our discussions to the bottom as "Design Process".
I think there should be /some/ guidelines on how to use the Motif, but
in general it should be very lax
because the context will play a greater role in determining how it
should be used than anything else.

*Thanks again for everyone who contributed discussion, designs or votes.*
This was a nice, clean Design exercise and will hopefully result in some
very nice, clean Design material very shortly!

-Nik

On 3/21/2011 11:58 AM, Erich Christian wrote:

> Hi Nik, *
>
> Am 19.03.2011 06:01, schrieb Nik:
>> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
>> -----------------------
>> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
>> Christoph's "Large motif"
>> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
>> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
>> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
>> Nik's "MessyStack"
>> Nik's "OpenBook"
>> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
>> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
>> Nik's "FoldedPage"
> Nik's "Scatter"  +1 - Erich
>
>> Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"
> My daughter prefers OpenBook but it won't get a chance as it looks
> like...  :-)
I appreciate her vote all the same ;)

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Nik,

Fantastic work Nik, both on the "Scatter" design and on organizing the motif
project.  I think it resulted in a lot of great ideas which might find uses
someday in other things (like advertisement or event media).  It has been
great to show the potential of this community through this project and I
look forward to seeing what other major tasks the community can tackle.  GO
Design!  ;-)

Cheers,
Jaron

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Nik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Design!
>
> Sorry this arrives so late, I meant to do it before I left for work today
> but didn't get a chance, just finished work now.
> THANKS TO ALL WHO VOTED!
> The votes are in... in descending order;
>
> 10 votes for "Scatter"
> 1 vote for "Repeating triangles"
> 1 vote for "Remix of repeating triangles"
> 1 vote for "Messy stack"
> 1 vote for "Triangle patchwork"
> ---
> 14 in total
>
> While it's not a huge sample, I'd say it's safe to assume we are going with
> "Scatter" =)
> I will ready the file (clean it up, flatten, then export to EPS and SVG
> formats) and upload it to the wiki.
> I'll update the Motif page now to show that voting is complete and move all
> our discussions to the bottom as "Design Process".
> I think there should be /some/ guidelines on how to use the Motif, but in
> general it should be very lax
> because the context will play a greater role in determining how it should
> be used than anything else.
>
> *Thanks again for everyone who contributed discussion, designs or votes.*
> This was a nice, clean Design exercise and will hopefully result in some
> very nice, clean Design material very shortly!
>
> -Nik
>

> On 3/21/2011 11:58 AM, Erich Christian wrote:
>
>> Hi Nik, *
>>
>> Am 19.03.2011 06:01, schrieb Nik:
>>
>>> *MOTIF DESIGN PROPOSALS;*
>>> -----------------------
>>> Christoph's "Triangle patterns"
>>> Christoph's "Large motif"
>>> Daniel's "Overlapping coloured circles"
>>> Daniel's "Remix of the repeating triangles"
>>> Ivan's "Interweaved diagonals"
>>> Nik's "MessyStack"
>>> Nik's "OpenBook"
>>> Nik's "ApplicationCorners"
>>> Nik's "DocumentFlower"
>>> Nik's "FoldedPage"
>>>
>> Nik's "Scatter"  +1 - Erich
>>
>>  Tobias' "Triangle patchwork pattern"
>>>
>> My daughter prefers OpenBook but it won't get a chance as it looks
>> like...  :-)
>>
> I appreciate her vote all the same ;)
>
>  ciao
>> Erich

nik-2 nik-2

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi Jaron, All!

Some bad news =( , but first...

On 3/22/2011 11:33 PM, Jaron Kuppers wrote:
> Hi Nik,
>
> Fantastic work Nik, both on the "Scatter" design and on organizing the motif
> project.
Thanks Jaron! it's feedback like that that keeps a volunteer very happy =)
> I think it resulted in a lot of great ideas which might find uses
> someday in other things (like advertisement or event media).  It has been
> great to show the potential of this community through this project and I
> look forward to seeing what other major tasks the community can tackle.  GO
> Design!  ;-)
+1, GO Design! =)
> Cheers,
> Jaron

To all,

I've uploaded a usable version of the Scatter Motif to the Motif page,
but unfortunately it is only in PNG format right now (although Hi-res);
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
Ideally I'd like to make vector versions available instead. Here's my
problem...

The Motif uses complex transparency in the Design. It needs the support
of a full Alpha channel in order to appear correctly.
This is not a problem for raster formats (like the PNG file currently
available, GOD BLESS PNG!)
But so far I have had no luck exporting to a vector format that doesn't
use binary transparency, including SVG and EPS.

This is not usually a problem for me because I use Adobe Creative Suite
and support between the applications in CS5 is /superbly/ achieved via
"smart-objects", but when it comes time to export, well, we get the
problem I'm facing now, which is best demonstrated in image form... I've
documented the problem at the bottom of the Motif page and added an
image depicting the problem;
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Alpha_problem

If anyone can lend a hand in this, I'd be most grateful. Since I don't
use anything but Creative Suite, I can't even test for alpha support in
other apps.
I've uploaded a PSD file containing the Motif with Alpha as it is
intended to be, here;
http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/ScatterWithTransparency.psd

Also, while we are nutting this last step out, would either Christoph or
Bernhard be able to raise the Scatter Motif with the SC to get it
confirmed as "officially approved artwork" ?

Please don't let this setback hinder your desire to use the Motif. The
uploaded PNG is hi-res enough (300dpi, 2500x2500 pixels) for most
applications for now.
Feel free to download and fiddle, it would be great to see some web
banners/CD labels/print material etc soon? =)

-Nik

Christopher Stark Christopher Stark

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

Hi,

/"This is not usually a problem for me because I use Adobe Creative
Suite and support between the applications in CS5 is /superbly/ achieved
via "smart-objects", but when it comes time to export, well, we get the
problem I'm facing now, which is best demonstrated in image form... I've
documented the problem at the bottom of the Motif page and added an
image depicting the problem;
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Alpha_problem
If anyone can lend a hand in this, I'd be most grateful. Since I don't
use anything but Creative Suite, I can't even test for alpha support in
other apps.
I've uploaded a PSD file containing the Motif with Alpha as it is
intended to be, here;
http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/ScatterWithTransparency.psd "/

I don't understand why it isn't possible to export the graphics to SVG (
then it can be easily imported e.g. to inkscape).

By the way why don't you work with open source inkscape instead of a
2000 $ monster? These things can be done with inkscape as well (and in
my opinion inkscape is one of the best open source programs out there)

If it is not possible to export it it shouldn't be too difficult to
rebuild this in inkscape I think

Best regards
desputin

Am 22.03.2011 15:01, schrieb Nik:

> Hi Jaron, All!
>
> Some bad news =( , but first...
>

> On 3/22/2011 11:33 PM, Jaron Kuppers wrote:
>> Hi Nik,
>>
>> Fantastic work Nik, both on the "Scatter" design and on organizing
>> the motif
>> project.
> Thanks Jaron! it's feedback like that that keeps a volunteer very
> happy =)
>> I think it resulted in a lot of great ideas which might find uses
>> someday in other things (like advertisement or event media).  It has
>> been
>> great to show the potential of this community through this project and I
>> look forward to seeing what other major tasks the community can
>> tackle.  GO
>> Design!  ;-)
> +1, GO Design! =)
>> Cheers,
>> Jaron
>>
> To all,
>
> I've uploaded a usable version of the Scatter Motif to the Motif page,
> but unfortunately it is only in PNG format right now (although Hi-res);
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif
> Ideally I'd like to make vector versions available instead. Here's my
> problem...
>
> The Motif uses complex transparency in the Design. It needs the
> support of a full Alpha channel in order to appear correctly.
> This is not a problem for raster formats (like the PNG file currently
> available, GOD
who is that?? ;)

> BLESS PNG!)
> But so far I have had no luck exporting to a vector format that
> doesn't use binary transparency, including SVG and EPS.
>
> This is not usually a problem for me because I use Adobe Creative
> Suite and support between the applications in CS5 is /superbly/
> achieved via "smart-objects", but when it comes time to export, well,
> we get the problem I'm facing now, which is best demonstrated in image
> form... I've documented the problem at the bottom of the Motif page
> and added an image depicting the problem;
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Alpha_problem
>
> If anyone can lend a hand in this, I'd be most grateful. Since I don't
> use anything but Creative Suite, I can't even test for alpha support
> in other apps.
> I've uploaded a PSD file containing the Motif with Alpha as it is
> intended to be, here;
> http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/ScatterWithTransparency.psd
>
> Also, while we are nutting this last step out, would either Christoph
> or Bernhard be able to raise the Scatter Motif with the SC to get it
> confirmed as "officially approved artwork" ?
>
> Please don't let this setback hinder your desire to use the Motif. The
> uploaded PNG is hi-res enough (300dpi, 2500x2500 pixels) for most
> applications for now.
> Feel free to download and fiddle, it would be great to see some web
> banners/CD labels/print material etc soon? =)
>
> -Nik

Rob Cummings Rob Cummings

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

I did a little playing around in Inkscape earlier and it appears that it
saves all the alpha info correctly in the SVG.  I could not get it to work
correctly for EPS, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Rob
On Mar 22, 2011 1:45 PM, "Christopher Stark" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> use anything but Creative Suite, I can't even test for alpha support
>> in other apps.
>> I've uploaded a PSD file containing the Motif with Alpha as it is
>> intended to be, here;
>> http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/ScatterWithTransparency.psd
>>
>> Also, while we are nutting this last step out, would either Christoph
>> or Bernhard be able to raise the Scatter Motif with the SC to get it
>> confirmed as "officially approved artwork" ?
>>
>> Please don't let this setback hinder your desire to use the Motif. The
>> uploaded PNG is hi-res enough (300dpi, 2500x2500 pixels) for most
>> applications for now.
>> Feel free to download and fiddle, it would be great to see some web
>> banners/CD labels/print material etc soon? =)
>>
>> -Nik

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [VOTE] Design task: LibreOffice Motif

thanks for (still) maintaining the wiki page and all the related work
items!

Am Dienstag, den 22.03.2011, 14:32 -0400 schrieb Rob Cummings:
> I did a little playing around in Inkscape earlier and it appears that it
> saves all the alpha info correctly in the SVG.  I could not get it to work
> correctly for EPS, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
>
> Rob
> On Mar 22, 2011 1:45 PM, "Christopher Stark" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif#Alpha_problem
[...]
> > I've uploaded a PSD file containing the Motif with Alpha as it is
> > intended to be, here;
> > http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/ScatterWithTransparency.psd "/

Okay, I can import it into Gimp, but that doesn't solve the core
problem ... so would it be possible to export it to SVG (whether it
works or not) and to make it available. I think that would help to have
a look at it in a vector format.

> > By the way why don't you work with open source inkscape instead of a
> > 2000 $ monster? These things can be done with inkscape as well (and in
> > my opinion inkscape is one of the best open source programs out there)
> >
> > If it is not possible to export it it shouldn't be too difficult to
> > rebuild this in inkscape I think

Well, people chose their tools for different reasons ... may it be
familiarity or other stuff (e.g. full CMYK support for "real" printing).

Since we have chosen a motif, the more important question is how to
transform the graphics into something more people can work with.
Christopher, you statements seem to convey that you are an "advanced
Inkscape user", could you please have a look at it? That'll be very
cool...

Cheers,
Christoph

Next » 12