Verifying LO 5.1 on Mac OS X takes a long time

pietervo pietervo

Verifying LO 5.1 on Mac OS X takes a long time

I have a strange problem with the new LO 5.1 on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5). I installed it and started it up for the first time. Naturally the first time the app gets verified. However the verification took a long time and my computer got almost completely unresponsive.

Activity Monitor indicated that kernel_task had growm to more than 6.3GB (real memory). My machine has 8GM memory. It did not take very much CPU time, but everything came virtually to a halt. Even the clock sometimes lagged minutes behind. The verification process took more than 2 hours and 15 minutes, after which I had to leave. When I returned it had finished, so I know it took less than 5 hours. Ater confirming that I wanted to run the application downloaded from the internet, LO continued, but it took at least 10 minutes before it appeared. In the meantime the kernel_task memory footprint still was high, but later it dropped back to more reasonable values.

I did this twice, with a reboot in between. The reboot didn't solve the problem.

I also tried LO 5.0.5, and its verification took about 5 minutes (still quite long I think), with kernel_task going up to about 4GB. But at least the system continued to work normally.

So what can be the problem with LO 5.1?
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: Verifying LO 5.1 on Mac OS X takes a long time

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:33:34AM +0100, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
> I have a strange problem with the new LO 5.1 on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5).

great that you are using LibreOffice! Unfortunately, this is the wrong list for
user support. Please consider:

 [hidden email] or
 https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/

instead. This list is for actively developing LibreOffice itself only.

Thanks,

Bjoern
pietervo pietervo

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:33:34AM +0100, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
 > > I have a strange problem with the new LO 5.1 on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5).
 >
 > great that you are using LibreOffice! Unfortunately, this is the wrong list for
 > user support. Please consider:
 >
 >  [hidden email] or
 >  https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/
 >
 > instead. This list is for actively developing LibreOffice itself only.
 >
 > Thanks,

The reason I sent it to this list is that I thought it might be a problem with the distribution, i.e. a problem of the development. But I will also send it to the other list.