Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Next » 12
PeeWee PeeWee

Version 4.1 Draw Guide

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Draw Guide v4.1 Preface and Chapters 1, 2, 3 have been published. I made trivial changes to all but Ch3, in which I did a bit more copyediting. Thanks for the good work, Peter.

--Jean

PeeWee PeeWee

PeeWee PeeWee

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Hi Peter,

I belong to the authors of this part in the German version
www.openoffice.org/de/doc/oooauthors/ooo-draw-handbuch.pdf‎

I now see, that all my efforts to distinguish between the so called
"custom shapes" and the classical (from OOo1) primitive shapes are lost
and that there is a large confusion in the descriptions and figures.

Only "custom shapes" can use "Extrusion on/off". The objects of the
Fontwork gallery are "custom shapes" too. Custom shapes remain custom
shapes even when extruded to 3D. This kind of extrusion is a special
state of a custom shapes. Therefore you can turn extrusion on and off.

Only classical primitive shapes can be turned into true 3D Scenes. Such
a 3D Scene and the 3D objects in it are different kind of objects. There
is no way back to the generating 2D shape.

Extruded custom shapes and true 3D objects have different tools and are
stored different in file format. It is no good idea to mix them up in
the guide.

The icon has the label "Extrusion on/off" but the icon "To 3D" does also
"extrude". Therefore the word "extrusion" is not suitable to distinguish
between them.

Do you understand German, so that you can read the German "Draw-Handbuch"?

Kind regards
Regina

PeeWee PeeWee

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Hi Peter,

Am 13.10.2013 09:32, schrieb PeeWee:
> Hello Regina again
>
> The link in your email does not work.

I didn't follow the thread but maybe here you can find what you search for:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/deutsch/arbeitsordner/Archiv_alte_OOo_Dokumente/draw

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
http://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/members/
http://de.libreoffice.org
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

PeeWee schrieb:
> Hello Regina
>
> My German is very limited - no problem in German bars and restaurants
> and paying there bill. I did spend two years in Hamburg and learnt
> some German from the people I became friends with. However that was a
> long time ago.

I still struggling with English. My written English is often strange and
it is difficult for me to understand spoken English.

> You have made 3D objects a little clearer with your explanation. What
> puzzles me is why is there such a complication with 3D objects?

Let's go back in history. In StarOffice and in the sequel in OOo1 only
some kind of shapes exists. The status bar shows in the left field,
which kind of object it is. For example, you will see "Rectangle
selected" or "Callout selected" or "Parallelogram selected" or "Bézier
curve selected" ...
This draw objects can be turned to 3D objects. The methods are rotation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_of_revolution) and extrusion
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrusion_%28Geometrie%29; I find no
English one).
There exists a 3D engine with a lot of features, but the UI is confusing
and bad designed, not changed since StarOffice times. The UI is in great
want of refresh and redesign.

These classical draw objects were not able to store the features of the
"Autoforms" of Microsoft Office. Therefore a new kind of shapes were
implemented in OOo2, the so called custom shapes. They got the ability
to contain informations, how they should be rendered as
3D-extrusion-object. And they got a new UI for setting this properties.
For all the different custom shapes you get only the one string "shape
selected" in the status bar. At the same time the "Fontwork gallery" was
introduced. From a technical view, that are custom shapes as well.

  Once
> a 2D object is extruded into 3D then you should be able to use all
> the tools that are available for the ready made 3D objects.

The ready made 3D objects are not only simple 3D objects, but they are
3D scenes. You cannot have such 3D object without a root 3D scene. Such
3D scene cannot include custom shapes. There is no way to write such
thing into the file format. And there exists no requests to change the
spec in this direction. If you convert a custom shape by the tools "To
3D" or "To 3D rotation object" they are converted to a polygon or to a
curve first, but the user is not notified about that. Therefore the 3D
dialog is not suitable for custom shapes.

To get a deeper understanding of this very different kind of objects, it
might be worth reading the spec, section 10.5 "3D Shapes" and 10.6
"Custom Shape".
[http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html]

  This
> complication makes it a difficult thing to get across simple enough
> for a novice user to understand, so your help will be appreciated.

I agree, that is a challenge. In contrast to the old German version, I
now would make two strictly independent sections, one for "3D Shapes"
and a new section covering all the properties and handlings of "Custom
Shapes". There exists not only their special way of extruding, but also
the yellow handles to vary the shapes, and they differ in the way text
is used. You can even write your own custom shapes, but sadly their is
no UI for that, but you have to write into the file directly. I had a
talk about it last FOSDEM.

The current drawing toolbar in LO makes it more complicate. OOo had the
classical rectangle and ellipse in the toolbar, and you could turn them
into 3D shapes. But the current drawing toolbar has dropped them, and
instead has included the custom shapes "Rectangle" and "Ellipse" which
are already in the drop-down list "Basic shapes" of the custom shapes.
To use the classical shapes, you have to customize the toolbar first.
The consequence of which is, that users do not get the properties they
are used to, rounded corners for example.

If you have questions about the shapes, please ask. I do not have time
enough to write a full text, but will comment on single problems.

Kind regards
Regina

PeeWee PeeWee

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Hi Peter,

I have put a version with further comments into the Feedback folder.

Kind regards
Regina

PeeWee PeeWee

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Chapters 7 and 8 of the Draw Guide v4.1 have been published after
minor editing by me. As always, they are available for further review
by others.

--Jean

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM, PeeWee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Version 4.1 of the Draw Guide Chapter 8 Connections, Flowcharts and
> Organization Charts is now available in the Drafts LO4.1 folder on the ODF
> Authors website ready for review and comment.
>
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/draw-guide/draft-lo4.1/dg-ch-08-connections-flowcharts-and-organization-charts/view
>
> Regards
>
> PeterS
>

> -----
> Peter Schofield

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Version 4.1 Draw Guide, Chapter 9

Hello

I recently joined the LibreOffice documentation mailing list and decided
to begin my contribution by updating Chapter 9 of the Draw guide (Adding
And Formatting Text) to version 4.1. It has now been uploaded to the ODF
Authors website for review and comments.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/draw-guide/draft-lo4.1/chapter-9-adding-and-formatting-text/view

Whilst there was not a great deal that needed to be updated, there is
one screen shot that will need replacing. The Special Characters
dialogue box (Figure 8, on page 9) in the version I am using
(LibreOffice 4.1.3.2 on Windows 8.1) is re-organised, with clickable
action boxes now found at the bottom of window, along with a new 'Delete
Last' box added.

I recall reading in the instructional documentation that screen shots
from Mac or Linux operating systems are preferable to those from
Windows. As such, I hope that someone will be able to update the screen
shot on my behalf.

I also wonder whether the slightly different placement of tabs in the
Graphic Styles dialogue box (Figure 10, on page 12) would necessitate
replacement of the screen shot. The 'Text' and 'Text Animation' tabs are
on the second row in the version I am using but this seems a minor detail.

Regards,

Martin

PeeWee PeeWee

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide, Chapter 9

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: Version 4.1 Draw Guide, Chapter 9

Hello Peter

I'm terribly sorry; I should have checked before I started.

I've just taken another look at the publications page
(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications) and
would like advice as to which area I can begin work on.  Is the
objective to bring all guides up to date (4.1.x branch) or are 4.0.x
guides sufficient?

Thanks,

Martin

On 16/11/13 07:36, PeeWee wrote:

> Hello Martin
>
> We are at cross purposes here. I am updating the Draw Guide to Version 4.1 which means two of us were working on the same chapter. I shall now use your version to complete Chapter 9 and reissue onto the ODF Authors website. This will mean that Chapter 10 & 11 will follow very quickly.
>
> With regards
>
> Peter Schofield
> [hidden email]
>

> On 15 Nov 2013, at 19:58, Martin Saffron [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I recently joined the LibreOffice documentation mailing list and decided
>> to begin my contribution by updating Chapter 9 of the Draw guide (Adding
>> And Formatting Text) to version 4.1. It has now been uploaded to the ODF
>> Authors website for review and comments.
>>
>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/draw-guide/draft-lo4.1/chapter-9-adding-and-formatting-text/view
>>
>> Whilst there was not a great deal that needed to be updated, there is
>> one screen shot that will need replacing. The Special Characters
>> dialogue box (Figure 8, on page 9) in the version I am using
>> (LibreOffice 4.1.3.2 on Windows 8.1) is re-organised, with clickable
>> action boxes now found at the bottom of window, along with a new 'Delete
>> Last' box added.
>>
>> I recall reading in the instructional documentation that screen shots
>> from Mac or Linux operating systems are preferable to those from
>> Windows. As such, I hope that someone will be able to update the screen
>> shot on my behalf.
>>
>> I also wonder whether the slightly different placement of tabs in the
>> Graphic Styles dialogue box (Figure 10, on page 12) would necessitate
>> replacement of the screen shot. The 'Text' and 'Text Animation' tabs are
>> on the second row in the version I am using but this seems a minor detail.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martin

>> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Version-4-1-Draw-Guide-tp4068532p4083378.html
>> To start a new topic under Documentation, email [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe from Documentation, click here.
>> NAML
>

> -----
> Peter Schofield

Next » 12