Version 4.2 Getting Started Guide

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Version 4.2 Getting Started Guide

Hello

I've recently had time to look at sections of the Getting Started guide
with a view to updating it to the LO 4.2 branch.

I've taken a look at the first three chapters (of the most recent
published versions edited by Jean) and noted the changes brought about
in the Windows 8.1 version of LO 4.2 beta 2.

I did not edit any of the guides directly and upload them as I was
unsure whether to edit the recent versions published by Jean or to make
edits to the auto-formatted versions submitted to the mailing list by
Milos.  There is also the fact that the stable LO 4.2 release may
introduce further changes.

Instead, I've made a detailed list of the aspects that will need
updating upon release of LO 4.2 and noted some of them here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks

Unfortunately, in submitting the form (as a test) before  adding all the
notes, I have been throttled so am unable to make further changes until
the anti-spam time limit expires.  I have attached an ODT file
containing all the changes so perhaps someone can update the page on my
behalf.

I'll continue looking at the Getting Started guide when I get time
(leaving chapters 4, 6, 7 and 8 as noted on the User Guide tasks page
above).

Merry Christmas,

Martin

Milos Sramek Milos Sramek

Re: Version 4.2 Getting Started Guide

Hi Martin,

Dňa 2013-12-21 18:05, Martin Saffron wrote / napísal(a):
> I did not edit any of the guides directly and upload them as I was
> unsure whether to edit the recent versions published by Jean or to
> make edits to the auto-formatted versions submitted to the mailing
> list by Milos.  There is also the fact that the stable LO 4.2 release
> may introduce further changes.
you can take the version, which is on the web. Once the 4.2 version is
finished, I woud like to have a look at its formatting again.

best wishes
Milos

--
Milos Sramek, [hidden email]

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Version 4.2 Getting Started Guide

Thanks for this work, Martin. I've just had a quick look at your
additions to the User Guide Tasks page, which are just what we need. I
just hope other people pay attention to them, as well as doing their
own reviewing, when updating the chapter files.

If you, or anyone else, want to start doing updates to the chapter
files, you can use the 4.0 files from here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/published-lo-4.0
or from here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice

Both sets have had Milos's style cleanups applied.

Please put the edited files here (as you did for chapter 1):
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2

--Jean

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've recently had time to look at sections of the Getting Started guide with
> a view to updating it to the LO 4.2 branch.
>
> I've taken a look at the first three chapters (of the most recent published
> versions edited by Jean) and noted the changes brought about in the Windows
> 8.1 version of LO 4.2 beta 2.
>
> I did not edit any of the guides directly and upload them as I was unsure
> whether to edit the recent versions published by Jean or to make edits to
> the auto-formatted versions submitted to the mailing list by Milos.  There
> is also the fact that the stable LO 4.2 release may introduce further
> changes.
>
> Instead, I've made a detailed list of the aspects that will need updating
> upon release of LO 4.2 and noted some of them here:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks
>
> Unfortunately, in submitting the form (as a test) before  adding all the
> notes, I have been throttled so am unable to make further changes until the
> anti-spam time limit expires.  I have attached an ODT file containing all
> the changes so perhaps someone can update the page on my behalf.
>
> I'll continue looking at the Getting Started guide when I get time (leaving
> chapters 4, 6, 7 and 8 as noted on the User Guide tasks page above).
>
> Merry Christmas,
>
> Martin

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: Version 4.2 Getting Started Guide

Hello

I've uploaded an edited draft of GS4201, this time using the most
recent, translation-friendly GS4001 file as a starting point.  The draft
can be found here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4201-introducing-libreoffice/view

In this version, I've made the same changes that were made in the
earlier draft and have also updated screen captures for Figure 1 and
Figure 10.  These images were captured from LO4.2 beta2 running on
Windows 8.1.  I've cropped window borders to make them more OS-neutral.
They were exported to PNG format and can be uploaded if required.

I've marked my initials on the User Tasks Guide
(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2) for chapter 1.
If I get time over the weekend I will edit and upload chapters 2 and 3.

Regards,

Martin