Version 5.2.1.2 Questions

Dave Liesse Dave Liesse

Version 5.2.1.2 Questions

I'm noticing some behavior recently that I don't like.  When I installed
v5.2.1.2, though, I seem to have eliminated all my existing profile
information so I'm hoping that on the first item, at least, there's just
a setting that I haven't been able to find.

1.  In Writer, I keep seeing "balloon" spelling suggestions. Can't click
on them to do anything, so very annoying.  Any way to turn them off?  I
haven't found anything in the options that does this.

2.  Also in Writer, using an arrow to move up or down is not always
placing the cursor in the correct place on the second line.  For
example, I type a line and, at the end, press up-arrow; instead of the
cursor being at the end of that (shorter) line, it's at a seemingly
random location within the text.  For another example, if the cursor is
in the middle a line and I press up-arrow the cursor is then at the end
of the second (longer) line.  I haven't been able to discern a pattern.
Is this a known issue?  I'm not familiar enough with the bug reporting
system to find it.

Since it can make a difference, I'm working in Windows 7 Professional
64-bit.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!

Dave

fudmer rieley fudmer rieley

Re: Version 5.2.1.2 Questions

in 16.04 ubuntu i see that copy and paste is failing to copy everything
and is double pasting sometimes triple pasting.. on occassion??

 Subject: [libreoffice-users] Version 5.2.1.2 Questions
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 5:02 PM

[...]

 All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and
 cannot be deleted

RGB-es RGB-es

Re: Version 5.2.1.2 Questions

El 2016-12-01 00:02, Dave Liesse escribió:
> I'm noticing some behavior recently that I don't like.  When I
> installed v5.2.1.2, though, I seem to have eliminated all my existing
> profile information so I'm hoping that on the first item, at least,
> there's just a setting that I haven't been able to find.
>
> 1.  In Writer, I keep seeing "balloon" spelling suggestions. Can't
> click on them to do anything, so very annoying.  Any way to turn them
> off?  I haven't found anything in the options that does this.

This seems to be the "word completion" utility. See at Tools →
Autocorrect → Autocorrect options and on the last tab disable the
autocompletion.

> 2.  Also in Writer, using an arrow to move up or down is not always
> placing the cursor in the correct place on the second line.  For
> example, I type a line and, at the end, press up-arrow; instead of the
> cursor being at the end of that (shorter) line, it's at a seemingly
> random location within the text.  For another example, if the cursor
> is in the middle a line and I press up-arrow the cursor is then at the
> end of the second (longer) line.  I haven't been able to discern a
> pattern.  Is this a known issue?  I'm not familiar enough with the bug
> reporting system to find it.

I've seen that behaviour too. AFAIK it is present on all 5.x versions.

Regards,
Ricardo

--
Il mio blog in italiano: https://ilpinguinoscrittore.wordpress.com/
Mi blog en español: https://elpinguinotolkiano.wordpress.com/

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Re: Version 5.2.1.2 Questions

Re: Fudmer's comment ...

I've also experienced this partial copy with Ubuntu 16.04.1 and LibreOffice 5.2.3.2, but I would describe it as "SOMETIMES when I paste something copied elsewhere into Writer, I only get the first word."

It doesn't always happen, and I hadn't yet decided whether it was a problem with LibreOffice or Ubuntu, since I got updates to both at around the same time.

So: I didn't file a bug report; if anyone else experiences something like this, it would be helpful to know. Then maybe it can be pinned down.
Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: Version 5.2.1.2 Questions

Il 1 dic 2016 5:07 PM, "Ricardo" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

El 2016-12-01 00:02, Dave Liesse escribió:

> I'm noticing some behavior recently that I don't like.  When I
> installed v5.2.1.2, though, I seem to have eliminated all my existing
> profile information so I'm hoping that on the first item, at least,
> there's just a setting that I haven't been able to find.
>
> 1.  In Writer, I keep seeing "balloon" spelling suggestions. Can't
> click on them to do anything, so very annoying.  Any way to turn them
> off?  I haven't found anything in the options that does this.

This seems to be the "word completion" utility. See at Tools → Autocorrect
→ Autocorrect options and on the last tab disable the autocompletion.

By the way it can be a really useful feature. To use it, you just have to
press ENTER to confirm the suggested word or continue typing if that's not
what you need. (Or probably you can press ESC too,  I can't remember and
I'm on the smartphone now). Please consider learning the keyboard use:
you'll see that many more things can be done and about 10 times faster ;)

> 2.  Also in Writer, using an arrow to move up or down is not always
> placing the cursor in the correct place on the second line.  For
> example, I type a line and, at the end, press up-arrow; instead of the
> cursor being at the end of that (shorter) line, it's at a seemingly
> random location within the text.  For another example, if the cursor
> is in the middle a line and I press up-arrow the cursor is then at the
> end of the second (longer) line.  I haven't been able to discern a
> pattern.  Is this a known issue?  I'm not familiar enough with the bug
> reporting system to find it.

I've seen that behaviour too. AFAIK it is present on all 5.x versions.

I've never experienced such a behaviour in any platform (Linux, Mac or
Windows).

Have a nice Sunday,
Gabriele Ponzo.

Regards,