Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently too lazy to send mails to this list, but others are not
(and this is great to see) ;-) As a consequence, it happens that
non-subscribed posters do send mails to this list - those mails need to
wait in the moderation queue.

Since I've noticed that I'm not on my computer every day, help for the
moderation stuff is highly appreciated. After Bernhard left, I'm the
only one moderating those mails ... and therefore some kind of single
point-of-failure.

So is there anybody willing to jump in as well? I think one or two
people joining would be cool!

Currently we have approx. 5 ... 10 mails / week - so no worry about the
workload. Quite the opposite - if mails get through quicker and posters
are informed earlier about the required subscription, it really eases
communication. And moderating is rather simple - the mailing list system
sends a mail and asks for a reply. If send, it gets through, and if you
don't reply, then ... okay you've got the point.

Thanks! Cheers,
Christoph

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

2012/3/15 Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently too lazy to send mails to this list, but others are not
> (and this is great to see) ;-) As a consequence, it happens that
> non-subscribed posters do send mails to this list - those mails need to
> wait in the moderation queue.
>
> Since I've noticed that I'm not on my computer every day, help for the
> moderation stuff is highly appreciated. After Bernhard left, I'm the
> only one moderating those mails ... and therefore some kind of single
> point-of-failure.
>
> So is there anybody willing to jump in as well? I think one or two
> people joining would be cool!

Count me in. :)

> Currently we have approx. 5 ... 10 mails / week - so no worry about the
> workload. Quite the opposite - if mails get through quicker and posters
> are informed earlier about the required subscription, it really eases
> communication. And moderating is rather simple - the mailing list system
> sends a mail and asks for a reply. If send, it gets through, and if you
> don't reply, then ... okay you've got the point.
>
> Thanks! Cheers,
> Christoph

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Hi Christoph

I'm in too... Just explain me how to procede ... (where to go ...)

Kévin

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 03/15/2012 04:40 PM, Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently too lazy to send mails to this list, but others are not
> (and this is great to see) ;-) As a consequence, it happens that
> non-subscribed posters do send mails to this list - those mails need to
> wait in the moderation queue.
>
> Since I've noticed that I'm not on my computer every day, help for the
> moderation stuff is highly appreciated. After Bernhard left, I'm the
> only one moderating those mails ... and therefore some kind of single
> point-of-failure.
>
> So is there anybody willing to jump in as well? I think one or two
> people joining would be cool!
>
> Currently we have approx. 5 ... 10 mails / week - so no worry about the
> workload. Quite the opposite - if mails get through quicker and posters
> are informed earlier about the required subscription, it really eases
> communication. And moderating is rather simple - the mailing list system
> sends a mail and asks for a reply. If send, it gets through, and if you
> don't reply, then ... okay you've got the point.
>
> Thanks! Cheers,
> Christoph

While I am not very active on the list. I am on my computer daily and
monitor the list. I am in Georgia, USA, about 6 hours behind Germany.

--
Jay Lozier

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Hi Mirek, Kévin, Jay!

Wow, thanks a lot for your really quick (and positive) replies
concerning the moderator question. Since you three answered mostly
independently, I'll answer commenting my own mail ... :-)

Personally, I think having three moderators in total is very fine for
this kind of list (medium volume). One of the reasons is, that every
moderator will be noticed about "pending" mails ... so work might be
doubled in rare cases. So I propose (please object if you think that is
wrong) to add Mirek and Kévin (being the first two who replied). Jay,
thanks a lot for your offer as well!

The next steps are: I will send a mail with your names attached to the
moderator list. One one the admins will take care that you get added -
then you will get mails from the mailing list system containing the
message of the (unsubscribed) poster. If everything is clean (subject,
poster address, content - if readable - because there are sometimes
strange encoding issues) then you reply to this mail to let it go
through. It would also be helpful to send a mail to the poster to tell
him that he isn't subscribed - so he won't notice any replies to his
mail (because these will go to the mailing list only).

Furthermore, you'll get added to the internal moderators list. Very
rarely, it is meant to inform you about updates / or you might get in
touch with other moderators.

Again, thanks for joining!

Christoph

Am Donnerstag, den 15.03.2012, 21:40 +0100 schrieb Christoph Noack:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently too lazy to send mails to this list, but others are not
> (and this is great to see) ;-) As a consequence, it happens that
> non-subscribed posters do send mails to this list - those mails need to
> wait in the moderation queue.
>
> Since I've noticed that I'm not on my computer every day, help for the
> moderation stuff is highly appreciated. After Bernhard left, I'm the
> only one moderating those mails ... and therefore some kind of single
> point-of-failure.
>
> So is there anybody willing to jump in as well? I think one or two
> people joining would be cool!
>
> Currently we have approx. 5 ... 10 mails / week - so no worry about the
> workload. Quite the opposite - if mails get through quicker and posters
> are informed earlier about the required subscription, it really eases
> communication. And moderating is rather simple - the mailing list system
> sends a mail and asks for a reply. If send, it gets through, and if you
> don't reply, then ... okay you've got the point.
>
> Thanks! Cheers,
> Christoph

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Hi Christoph

It's great to be able to help this list to live !

Kévin

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 03/20/2012 05:09 PM, Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Mirek, Kévin, Jay!
>
> Wow, thanks a lot for your really quick (and positive) replies
> concerning the moderator question. Since you three answered mostly
> independently, I'll answer commenting my own mail ... :-)
>
> Personally, I think having three moderators in total is very fine for
> this kind of list (medium volume). One of the reasons is, that every
> moderator will be noticed about "pending" mails ... so work might be
> doubled in rare cases. So I propose (please object if you think that is
> wrong) to add Mirek and Kévin (being the first two who replied). Jay,
> thanks a lot for your offer as well!
>
> The next steps are: I will send a mail with your names attached to the
> moderator list. One one the admins will take care that you get added -
> then you will get mails from the mailing list system containing the
> message of the (unsubscribed) poster. If everything is clean (subject,
> poster address, content - if readable - because there are sometimes
> strange encoding issues) then you reply to this mail to let it go
> through. It would also be helpful to send a mail to the poster to tell
> him that he isn't subscribed - so he won't notice any replies to his
> mail (because these will go to the mailing list only).
>
> Furthermore, you'll get added to the internal moderators list. Very
> rarely, it is meant to inform you about updates / or you might get in
> touch with other moderators.
>
> Again, thanks for joining!
>
> Christoph
You're welcome, glad to help!

--
Jay Lozier

Andrew Pullins Andrew Pullins

Re: Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Christoph

Personally, I think having three moderators in total is very fine for
> this kind of list (medium volume). One of the reasons is, that every
> moderator will be noticed about "pending" mails ... so work might be
> doubled in rare cases.

if it is a rare case then why should there be a monitor. that seems like a
waist of someones time. some times we have had to duplicate emails to get
more discussion out of people.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Wanted! Moderators for this mailing list :-)

Glad to help too :)