Watermarks

JOE CONNER JOE CONNER

Watermarks

Using Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
Using Version: 4.4.5.2
I am trying to insert a watermark into a writer document.
The help files says:

 1.

    Choose *Format - Page*.

 2.

    On the *Background* tab page, select a background color or a
    background graphic.

However, there is NO background tab  on *Format - Page***. What
happened? To where
was it moved?

Now, how do you create a watermark?

Thank you. Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

timllloyd timllloyd

Re: Watermarks

I have to say I am beaten by this. I had a look at some old doco which
echoed what Joe said. Any takers?

On 09/08/15 05:31, Joe Conner wrote:

> Using Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
> Using Version: 4.4.5.2
> I am trying to insert a watermark into a writer document.
> The help files says:
>
> 1.
>
>    Choose *Format - Page*.
>
> 2.
>
>    On the *Background* tab page, select a background color or a
>    background graphic.
>
> However, there is NO background tab  on *Format - Page***. What
> happened? To where
> was it moved?
>
> Now, how do you create a watermark?
>
> Thank you. Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Watermarks

   As I asked Joe, what type of watermark do you want? Do you know how to add a graphic to the gallery? ( Assuming your watermark is a graphic)
   You begin with Format > Page. Click the Area tab . Select type of watermark from the Fill drop down list. Select the Transparency tab. Set the amount of transparency. Close the dialog.
   The Fill drop down list is likely to be a problem because of the underlying choices that are possible.  Custom colors can be created and used. Gradients can be created and used. Hash patterns likewise. Graphics can be added to the gallery and then used. ( This is done differently from how it use to be done. )

Dan

I have to say I am beaten by this. I had a look at some old doco which
echoed what Joe said. Any takers?

On 09/08/15 05:31, Joe Conner wrote:

> Using Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
> Using Version: 4.4.5.2
> I am trying to insert a watermark into a writer document.
> The help files says:
>
> 1.
>
>    Choose *Format - Page*.
>
> 2.
>
>    On the *Background* tab page, select a background color or a
>    background graphic.
>
> However, there is NO background tab  on *Format - Page***. What
> happened? To where
> was it moved?
>
> Now, how do you create a watermark?
>
> Thank you. Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

Peter Hillier-Brook Peter Hillier-Brook

Re: Watermarks

On 09/08/15 08:11, Tim Lloyd wrote:

> I have to say I am beaten by this. I had a look at some old doco which
> echoed what Joe said. Any takers?
>
> On 09/08/15 05:31, Joe Conner wrote:
>> Using Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
>> Using Version: 4.4.5.2
>> I am trying to insert a watermark into a writer document.
>> The help files says:
>>
>> 1.
>>
>>    Choose *Format - Page*.
>>
>> 2.
>>
>>    On the *Background* tab page, select a background color or a
>>    background graphic.
>>
>> However, there is NO background tab  on *Format - Page***. What
>> happened? To where
>> was it moved?
>>
>> Now, how do you create a watermark?
>>
>> Thank you. Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

Just to confirm: with Debian 8 and LibreOffice 5.0.0.5 there is no
'Background' tab on the 'Format/Page dialogue. Maybe similar
functionality exists in the 'Area' tab: it's what I would try to achieve
a watermark.

Peter HB

Peter Hillier-Brook Peter Hillier-Brook

Re: Watermarks

On 09/08/15 08:11, Tim Lloyd wrote:

> I have to say I am beaten by this. I had a look at some old doco which
> echoed what Joe said. Any takers?
>
> On 09/08/15 05:31, Joe Conner wrote:
>> Using Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
>> Using Version: 4.4.5.2
>> I am trying to insert a watermark into a writer document.
>> The help files says:
>>
>> 1.
>>
>>    Choose *Format - Page*.
>>
>> 2.
>>
>>    On the *Background* tab page, select a background color or a
>>    background graphic.
>>
>> However, there is NO background tab  on *Format - Page***. What
>> happened? To where
>> was it moved?
>>
>> Now, how do you create a watermark?
>>
>> Thank you. Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

Further to my previous post: the 'Area' tab may not be so useful after
all. There is no obvious way of employing a user chosen bitmap rather
than the pre-set patterns which, whilst not a show-stopper, would
involve a certain amount of fiddling to put a user chosen bitmap into
the selection list.

Peter HB

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Watermarks

On 08/09/2015 09:21 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

> On 09/08/15 08:11, Tim Lloyd wrote:
>> I have to say I am beaten by this. I had a look at some old doco which
>> echoed what Joe said. Any takers?
>>
>> On 09/08/15 05:31, Joe Conner wrote:
>>> Using Ubuntu 15.04 64bit
>>> Using Version: 4.4.5.2
>>> I am trying to insert a watermark into a writer document.
>>> The help files says:
>>>
>>> 1.
>>>
>>>     Choose *Format - Page*.
>>>
>>> 2.
>>>
>>>     On the *Background* tab page, select a background color or a
>>>     background graphic.
>>>
>>> However, there is NO background tab  on *Format - Page***. What
>>> happened? To where
>>> was it moved?
>>>
>>> Now, how do you create a watermark?
>>>
>>> Thank you. Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA
>>>

> Further to my previous post: the 'Area' tab may not be so useful after
> all. There is no obvious way of employing a user chosen bitmap rather
> than the pre-set patterns which, whilst not a show-stopper, would
> involve a certain amount of fiddling to put a user chosen bitmap into
> the selection list.
>
> Peter HB

DID you know if you make the watermark "light enough" you can print it
out, but you cannot use a copy machine or printer scanner to copy the
page and have the watermark show up in the copy of the page?

I did that several years ago, using a graphic editor to do the work on
the watermark image.  Works great for detecting copied documents vs.
original printed ones.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Watermarks

Peter Hillier-Brook wrote
Further to my previous post: the 'Area' tab may not be so useful after
all. There is no obvious way of employing a user chosen bitmap rather
than the pre-set patterns which, whilst not a show-stopper, would
involve a certain amount of fiddling to put a user chosen bitmap into
the selection list.
Format -> Page -> Area &  Transparency  tabs are the correct way to insert your own bitmap to use as a watermark. Seems the Help/Wiki needs a tweak But, the image still must support transparency (e.g. JPEGs will not work).

This is resolved for the 5.0.1 release and on current master.

See tdf#93041 where the "Import Graphic" button had gotten suppressed.

But, the image still must support transparency (e.g. JPEGs will not work).

Sutart

JOE CONNER JOE CONNER

Re: Watermarks

Thank all of you for your help. I did solve my problem with help from users.
The pathway is **a *Format - Page - Area**- Then change the Fill Bar to
Bitmap* - this opens a whole new panel of selections, which includes an
*Import Graphic* bar. Clicking it allowed for navigation to the .jepg I
needed for the watermark. I did not need to change the transparency, I
just wanted the background image (it was a form with fill-in lines but
was not a .pdf or word processor document.)

This pathway is not at all intuitive. Perhaps someone who knows how to
modify the help files (mine are downloaded and installed) to reflect
this pathway.

Better yet, why not have *WATERMARK* as one of the choices of the
*Insert* drop down menu. I think that would make it intuitive.

Blessings, Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

On 08/09/2015 05:53 AM, elderdanlewis wrote:

>     As I asked Joe, what type of watermark do you want? Do you know how to add a graphic to the gallery? ( Assuming your watermark is a graphic)
>     You begin with Format > Page. Click the Area tab . Select type of watermark from the Fill drop down list. Select the Transparency tab. Set the amount of transparency. Close the dialog.
>     The Fill drop down list is likely to be a problem because of the underlying choices that are possible.  Custom colors can be created and used. Gradients can be created and used. Hash patterns likewise. Graphics can be added to the gallery and then used. ( This is done differently from how it use to be done. )
>
> Dan

JOE CONNER JOE CONNER

Re: Watermarks

Unfortunately, the bar was not included in the LO5 version. I think it
is a developer mistake.

Blessings, Joe