We want to create a questionnaire...

Next » 12
JenS8 JenS8

We want to create a questionnaire...

Hello,

We want to create a questionaire that people can fill out on their
computer and email back to us when complete.

How can we create a document with the following properties:

1. When person clicks on a blank, they can type in their answer, and
the "underline characters" [ _______ ] don't move to the right
2. We want some parts of the form to be uneditable. For example, the
headers, the instructions, the text that says what we expect in every
blank.
3.The document can be saved when completed, or even when partially completed
4. Check-boxes can be clicked on
5.Radio buttons (multiple choice) can be clicked on
6.The document is universal:
   a. People using Windows, Mac, Linux, Playbook, tablets can work on the form
   b. People don't have to download a special program to fill the form

Thank you very much.
Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

JenS8 JenS8

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

Fabian,

Yes, the person will be getting to the questionnaire/form through our
website, so a webpage, if it could do all this, is good.

However, the  questionnaire is rather long; it has about 70-plus questions.
A text document may be better to use because the person can save their
progress and easily resume  anytime.

upscope upscope

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 06:10:20 PM JenS8 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We want to create a questionaire that people can fill out on their
> computer and email back to us when complete.
>
> How can we create a document with the following properties:
>
> 1. When person clicks on a blank, they can type in their answer, and
> the "underline characters" [ _______ ] don't move to the right
> 2. We want some parts of the form to be uneditable. For example, the
> headers, the instructions, the text that says what we expect in every
> blank.
> 3.The document can be saved when completed, or even when partially
> completed 4. Check-boxes can be clicked on
> 5.Radio buttons (multiple choice) can be clicked on
> 6.The document is universal:
>    a. People using Windows, Mac, Linux, Playbook, tablets can work on
> the form
>    b. People don't have to download a special program to fill the form
>

> Thank you very much.

> to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

This all can be done in LibreOffice Writer.  You can create a .odt
document by using the tools that you can enable with View --> Toolbars
--> Form design, form navigation and forms control. After your done your
design you can export the .odt document as an .pdf. The pdf document can
be emailed out, filled in and then emailed back.

I use this for a lot of questionaires for my Lions Club activities. Also
under the libreoffice help read the sections under Forms.

Also this may help:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/7/73/WG3400-WriterGuideLO.pdf

Chapters 14 and 15.

Hope this help.

Russ
openSUSE 12.1(3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64)|KDE Platform Version
4.8.3 (4.8.3) "release 504"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB
DDR3|GeForce 8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53)

Russ
JenS8 JenS8

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

Hi, Upscope.

Thanks for your comment.

Is there a quick way to make sure that the protected text and the field/blank are on the same horizontal level/plane?

Tom Tom

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

Pdf is a fairly universal format and most people already have soem version of Adobe Reader on their machine because Pdf and Adobe are  so widespread.  There are better Pdf readers such as Foxit (also free) or OpenSource ones.  LibreOffice can read Pdf but editing them is tricky so it's best to keep an original in an OpenDocument Format such as Odt.  Foxit is very fast compared to the Adobe one and doesn't keep demanding you upgrade it but like i say most people already have an Adobe Reader installed.

Pdf tends to be downloadable rather than viewed and filled-in on a web-site.

Perhaps you are looking for an html answer?
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp
I'm not sure what you need on the server-side in order to keep track of the input.  It's one of those things i have managed to avoid needing so far but i really should get to grips with it as i am fairly sure our web-hosts already have everything we need just waiting to be used.

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

On 20/06/2012 at 03:54, [hidden email] wrote:

> However, the  questionnaire is rather long; it has about 70-plus questions.
> A text document may be better to use because the person can save their
> progress and easily resume  anytime.

There is online survey tool called LimeSurvey. It is open sourced and depends
on PHP and MySQL (if you have website, then I believe you do meet these
requirements). It gives users option to save survey and resume for later.
It is used by quite a few universities out there. I recommend you give it a
try.

Their website is at http://www.limesurvey.org/ . You will find documentation
and demo page there as well.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Walther Koehler Walther Koehler

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

High Tom

do you really recommend a proprietary format like pdf in an open source
environment?

You know, PDF is licensed by Adobe and even a simple end user has to subscribe
a contract with this company. Have you ever read this license agreement? So
PDF ist NOT free.

Walther

Tom Tom

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

Hi :)
Yes, sadly i do realise that Pdf is a fairly ethically bad format BUT i do have to live in the real world too.  Pdf is difficult to avoid and there doesn't seem to be much alternative yet.  One of the key requirements of the op was that no special program would have to be installed.  Pdf readers are likely to already be installed on most peoples systems.  The docs team have offered one of the guides as e-pub but pdf remains dominant.

I would recommend moving away from Adobe Reader because there are a lot of alternatives and i think they are almost all better.  Adobe seems to have frequent 'security' updates but many would claim that it needs them because it is so widely used that it is a target.  The theory is that if other programs were so widespread then they would have similar level of trouble.  It's a poor argument but appears popular with people that refuse to try alternatives.

Pdf is free (small f) just not Free in a Libre sense.

do you really recommend a proprietary format like pdf in an open source
environment?

You know, PDF is licensed by Adobe and even a simple end user has to subscribe
a contract with this company. Have you ever read this license agreement? So
PDF ist NOT free.

Walther

Am Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 schrieb Tom Davies:

> Hi :)
> Pdf is a fairly universal format and most people already have soem version
> of Adobe Reader on their machine because Pdf and Adobe are  so widespread.
> There are better Pdf readers such as Foxit (also free) or OpenSource ones.
> LibreOffice can read Pdf but editing them is tricky so it's best to keep an
> original in an OpenDocument Format such as Odt.  Foxit is very fast
> compared to the Adobe one and doesn't keep demanding you upgrade it but
> like i say most people already have an Adobe Reader installed.
>
> Pdf tends to be downloadable rather than viewed and filled-in on a
> web-site.
>
> Perhaps you are looking for an html answer?
> http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp
> I'm not sure what you need on the server-side in order to keep track of the
> input.  It's one of those things i have managed to avoid needing so far but
> i really should get to grips with it as i am fairly sure our web-hosts
> already have everything we need just waiting to be used.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Séamas Ó Brógáin Séamas Ó Brógáin

Re: PDF (was We want to create a questionnaire...)

The PDF specification is now the subject of a formal international
standard, ISO 32000, part 1 (2008), so it is no longer proprietary.

And most of the PDF readers are free, and many of them are open-source.

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 20.06.2012 10:58, Walther Koehler wrote:
> High Tom
>
> do you really recommend a proprietary format like pdf in an open source
> environment?

What is your suggestion for the given task?

> You know, PDF is licensed by Adobe and even a simple end user has to subscribe
> a contract with this company. Have you ever read this license agreement? So
> PDF ist NOT free.

When I install LibreOffice as a PDF generating software I do not see any
such aggreement nor can I find anything in the readme files.
Mouse-click aggreements do not mean a shit in Germany. Apart from that,
I have not installed any Acrobat Reader since many years. There are
better PDF readers for all operating systems, free and unfree ones.

Walther Koehler Walther Koehler

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

High Tom,

yes PDF is free meaning you have not to pay in advance, a least as you use
only basic functions and its not a commercial use. But what when you receive
a document with special features?

Its the same situation I had at the university long time ago: At this time
MSWord was "free" in the sense that nobody cared where you get your license
from, and all students used it and requesetd its use in their offces later
on.

Walther

On 06/20/2012 06:39 AM, Walther Koehler wrote:
> High Tom,
>
> yes PDF is free meaning you have not to pay in advance, a least as you use
> only basic functions and its not a commercial use. But what when you
receive
> a document with special features?
Ask for another format, or ask to file the same document in some other
way. Complain, complain, complain. Be very precise about why it's not a
good practice to do that.

> Its the same situation I had at the university long time ago: At this time
> MSWord was "free" in the sense that nobody cared where you get your
license
> from, and all students used it and requesetd its use in their offces later
> on.
>
> Walther

To the extent that LibreOffice integrates PDF import and export
functions, there isn't much point in extending this discussion much
longer unless one can propose a valid, better/equivalent alternative. I
personally think an online implementation (via web forms+database/email)
is better suited for this specific case. I can't see a good reason to
use PDF forms except in exceptionally highly custom-formatted scenarios.
Then again, if your questionnaire requires such formatting it may
benefit from some simplification. Here's a list of possible technical
issues of using PDF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf#Technical_issues

If and when there is absolutely no alternative to using a PDF, I'd
suggest you point your audience to this resource for a good, free+open
source PDF reader:
http://pdfreaders.org/

Adobe's reader software is notoriously bloated, and the frequent updates
are there because the reader includes several other dozen formats that
Adobe wants to be readable on every system it's installed on (in
addition to advanced features only available in commercial versions)

What about patents and openness of the PDF standard? This page provides
such details:
http://pdfreaders.org/os.en.html

Microsoft licenses are vey much 100% free and legal to obtain by
students/faculty staff pretty much worldwide now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamSpark_Premium

It's not the same situation with MS software although I see your point.
No Microsoft software is considered an ISO standard and there aren't
100% free open source software implementations of any MS software that I
know of as is the case with the PDF format, so I'd be use such examples
with care - otherwise you'll get the opposite effect when trying to
advocate free, open standards.

Cheers,

Fabián Rodríguez
http://libreoffice.magicfab.ca

Mark Phillips Mark Phillips

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

I suggest you check out Survey Monkey http://www.surveymonkey.com. You
create the survey, they host and collect the data for you. it is free for
simple surveys.

Mark

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Mirosław Zalewski
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 20/06/2012 at 03:54, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > However, the  questionnaire is rather long; it has about 70-plus
> questions.
> > A text document may be better to use because the person can save their
> > progress and easily resume  anytime.
>
> There is online survey tool called LimeSurvey. It is open sourced and
> depends
> on PHP and MySQL (if you have website, then I believe you do meet these
> requirements). It gives users option to save survey and resume for later.
> It is used by quite a few universities out there. I recommend you give it a
> try.
>
> Their website is at http://www.limesurvey.org/ . You will find
> documentation
> and demo page there as well.
> --
> Best regards
> Mirosław Zalewski

Tom Tom

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

All good except the side-issue about MS licenses.  To quote from the wiki-page pointed to
"The participating schools pay an annual fee for the service"
"Students may continue to use these products for non-commercial purposes, even after they graduate.  Even after graduation students may receive all free updates to the
software, such as security updates and service packs, that are available
 to everyone through ... [citation needed]" (citation needed means the link given doesn't work so i replaced it with dots)

Sadly MS formats almost always do still need to be used to communicate with some people but hopefully that will stop being the case in the future.  Most of us have very different ideas on how to get away from that dependency.  I think we need a multi-vectored approach which is pretty much the way things are going already.

Odd to see someone with an FSF address suggesting MS is cool&groovy!  Lol, i guess we all have strange days occasionally.

--- On Wed, 20/6/12, Fabian Rodriguez <hidden> wrote:

<snip />

Microsoft licenses are very much 100% free and legal to obtain by
students/faculty staff pretty much worldwide now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamSpark_Premium

It's not the same situation with MS software although I see your point.
No Microsoft software is considered an ISO standard and there aren't
100% free open source software implementations of any MS software that I
know of as is the case with the PDF format, so I'd be use such examples
with care - otherwise you'll get the opposite effect when trying to
advocate free, open standards.

Cheers,

Fabián Rodríguez

Tom Tom

Tom Tom

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

I think these 2 answers were by far the best in this thread!  I hope they are useful Jenny :)

Chad Neeper Chad Neeper

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM, JenS8 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We want to create a questionaire that people can fill out on their
> computer and email back to us when complete.
>
> One of my (rather non-technical) clients just created a very effective
survey form via Google Apps. The form is available via the Internet, so
it's cross-platform. The data is collected and dumped into a spreadsheet
and is accessible via Google. Very clean, very simple, very effective, very
free. I think it quite possibly would handily meet your requirements.

(But I still love and use LibreOffice!)

--
______________________________
*Chad Neeper*

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*

Eric S. Johansson Eric S. Johansson

On 6/20/2012 1:14 PM, Chad Neeper wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM, JenS8 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We want to create a questionaire that people can fill out on their
>> computer and email back to us when complete.
>>
>> One of my (rather non-technical) clients just created a very effective
> survey form via Google Apps. The form is available via the Internet, so
> it's cross-platform. The data is collected and dumped into a spreadsheet
> and is accessible via Google. Very clean, very simple, very effective, very
> free. I think it quite possibly would handily meet your requirements.
>
> (But I still love and use LibreOffice!)

I would love to hear how they did this. Many thanks

--- eric

Tom Tom

Re: We want to create a questionnaire...

Google apps are on our side, if there are sides, in this co-operative competition between ourselves.  Each fills a niche and it's just finding the right tool for the job instead of one great big bloated tool that is never quite right anywhere.  Google are one of LO's supporters and i think they are one of the companies on the Advisory Board that helps guide the BoD.