Web Administration

Next » 12
Andrew Cassidy Andrew Cassidy

Web Administration

Hi all,

So earlier today I stumbled across this page
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/web-administrators/ and found that
you're looking for more people to help out so I thought I'd introduce
myself.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science from the University of Kent,
Canterbury, UK and have been running Linux web servers since before I left
school (mainly as a hobby). I'm familiar with Apache, nginx, postgres,
MySQL and so on. My PHP is fairly limited these days since I made the jump
to Python a few years ago.

I currently run a small web hosting server for a few customers under my own
company, but I work full time for a marketing company who are already in
the process of rolling out LibreOffice with the view to go fully
open-source by April 2014 (I'm sure some of you recognize the date!)

I'd be interested to help build an official APT repository for
Debian/Ubuntu (I use Linux Mint Debian Edition as my main OS), rather than
having to manually download and install the packages as the case currently
seems to be, or even perhaps a set of tools the help organisations create
their own for internal deployments.

However, the big question for me is is there some kind of time commitment
you'd require me to make (if you were to accept me, of course!) as my free
time can vary dramatically week-to-week.

--
*Andrew Cassidy BSc (Hons) MBCS SSCA*
Managing Director

*T <[hidden email]> *03300 100 960
*F<[hidden email]>
 *03300 100 961
*E <[hidden email]> *[hidden email]
*W <[hidden email]> *www.cassidywebservices.co.uk

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Web Administration

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Cassidy wrote on 2013-07-26 10:47:
> So earlier today I stumbled across this page
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/web-administrators/  and found that
> you're looking for more people to help out so I thought I'd introduce
> myself.

thanks a lot for your kind offer and interest! :-)

I'm on the rush, so my reply is brief - but the reason why I am rushing
comes in handy here! By coincidence, exactly this weekend, we have the
LibreOffice Admin Weekend, where people can also join remotely. I know
it's on short notice, but would you have time tomorrow morning (European
time)?

All the details are at http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/infra

Would be wonderful if you could join! :)

Florian

Mas/_gemini Mas/_gemini

Re: Web Administration

Found the agenda on the pad , The times are in which time zone?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Florian Effenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Cassidy wrote on 2013-07-26 10:47:
>
>  So earlier today I stumbled across this page
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/**get-involved/web-**administrators/<http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/web-administrators/> and found that
>> you're looking for more people to help out so I thought I'd introduce
>> myself.
>>

> thanks a lot for your kind offer and interest! :-)
>
> I'm on the rush, so my reply is brief - but the reason why I am rushing
> comes in handy here! By coincidence, exactly this weekend, we have the
> LibreOffice Admin Weekend, where people can also join remotely. I know it's
> on short notice, but would you have time tomorrow morning (European time)?
>
> All the details are at http://pad.documentfoundation.**org/p/infra<http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/infra>
>
> Would be wonderful if you could join! :)
>
> Florian

Masekela Walls
Web Security Analyst | Senior Server Administrator
Powserve.com / Gemini ISP Networks

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Web Administration

Next call is planned in 90 minutes :)

Mas wrote on 2013-07-27 13:51:
> Found the agenda on the pad , The times are in which time zone?

Alex Waite Alex Waite

Re: Web Administration

Andrew,

It was nice meeting you on the admin call this weekend.

> I'd be interested to help build an official APT repository for
> Debian/Ubuntu (I use Linux Mint Debian Edition as my main OS)

 From reading the ESC meeting minutes, it seems like they are currently
contemplating the future direction of the .deb build the TDF provides.

The minutes are posted to the devel list; July 18th might be of interest
to you.

> However, the big question for me is is there some kind of time commitment
> you'd require me to make (if you were to accept me, of course!) as my free
> time can vary dramatically week-to-week.

It's a volunteer project; so as much time as you're willing/able to
provide. :-)

---Alex

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Web Administration

One thing I really wanted to bring up but I had a family isuse which i had
to disappear. I was thinking could the TDF host a debian repo with the
daily builds etc as I was helping someone in qa who when installing the
package with dpkg basically screwed up his installation. I think having a
repo would be great in the sense one wont have to use dpkg and have to deal
with dependency issues one can encounter using it.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Alex Waite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> It was nice meeting you on the admin call this weekend.
>
>  I'd be interested to help build an official APT repository for
>> Debian/Ubuntu (I use Linux Mint Debian Edition as my main OS)
>>

> From reading the ESC meeting minutes, it seems like they are currently
> contemplating the future direction of the .deb build the TDF provides.
>
> The minutes are posted to the devel list; July 18th might be of interest
> to you.
>
>  However, the big question for me is is there some kind of time commitment
>> you'd require me to make (if you were to accept me, of course!) as my free
>> time can vary dramatically week-to-week.
>>

> It's a volunteer project; so as much time as you're willing/able to
> provide. :-)
>
> ---Alex

Jonathan Aquilina

Andrew Cassidy Andrew Cassidy

Re: Web Administration

Exactly.

Also, I noticed that the packages for 4.1 do not replace the ones for 4.0,
so I essentially had 2 copies of LibreOffice installed to other day.

For the majority of users, having this linked into their systems update
mechanism will help keep the majority of the userbase up to date, anyone
who doesn't want to update can always pin the older versions in apt.

For me, the company I work for are looking to move to a full OSS
deployment, including LibreOffice. If they had an apt repository it would
make managing the installation across out entire network much easier as we
can just put the relevant packages in SaltStack states.

Also, a minor thing, the list doesn't seem to automatically set the
reply-to header on the emails, so my last email went only to Alex and not
the list. Contents:

Hi Alex, nice to meet you too!

Sorry I'm having issues finding that specific thread in the archives, do
you have a link?

I'd also be happy to help out in other items discussed at the weekend, such
as the proposed transition to nginx. I added some of my thoughts to the
bottom of the pad. There are some pretty cool things we could do with it,
like run php in fcgi mode on N (virtual) machines, have M instances of
nginx load balance across them connecting directly to the php fcgi
instances.

With regards to time, that's the answer I was hoping for :)

On 29 July 2013 10:29, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I really wanted to bring up but I had a family isuse which i had
> to disappear. I was thinking could the TDF host a debian repo with the
> daily builds etc as I was helping someone in qa who when installing the
> package with dpkg basically screwed up his installation. I think having a
> repo would be great in the sense one wont have to use dpkg and have to deal
> with dependency issues one can encounter using it.
>

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Alex Waite <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Andrew,
> >
> > It was nice meeting you on the admin call this weekend.
> >
> >  I'd be interested to help build an official APT repository for
> >> Debian/Ubuntu (I use Linux Mint Debian Edition as my main OS)
> >>

> > From reading the ESC meeting minutes, it seems like they are currently
> > contemplating the future direction of the .deb build the TDF provides.
> >
> > The minutes are posted to the devel list; July 18th might be of interest
> > to you.
> >
> >  However, the big question for me is is there some kind of time
> commitment
> >> you'd require me to make (if you were to accept me, of course!) as my
> free
> >> time can vary dramatically week-to-week.
> >>

> > It's a volunteer project; so as much time as you're willing/able to
> > provide. :-)
> >
> > ---Alex
> >

> > --
> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/>
> > deleted
> >

> --
> Jonathan Aquilina

*Andrew Cassidy BSc (Hons) MBCS SSCA*
Managing Director

*T <[hidden email]> *03300 100 960
*F<[hidden email]>
 *03300 100 961
*E <[hidden email]> *[hidden email]
*W <[hidden email]> *www.cassidywebservices.co.uk

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Web Administration

that is dependent on your email client regarding the reply to all issue. I
have done some research into setting up a debian repo I have not tested it
but it can be done using reprepro

This is for debian but should be acceptible to be setup on ubuntu. I can do
some testing on this at some point. I would love to hear Florian's input on
this. I was also thinking doing the same for rpm based distros provide them
with packages as well.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Andrew Cassidy <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > Andrew,
> > >
> > > It was nice meeting you on the admin call this weekend.
> > >
> > >  I'd be interested to help build an official APT repository for
> > >>

> > > From reading the ESC meeting minutes, it seems like they are currently
> > > contemplating the future direction of the .deb build the TDF provides.
> > >
> > > The minutes are posted to the devel list; July 18th might be of
> interest
> > > to you.
> > >
> > >  However, the big question for me is is there some kind of time
> > commitment
> > free
> > >>

> > > It's a volunteer project; so as much time as you're willing/able to
> > > provide. :-)
> > >
> > > ---Alex
> > >

> > > --
> > http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/>
> > > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2013-07-29 11:29:
> One thing I really wanted to bring up but I had a family isuse which i had
> to disappear. I was thinking could the TDF host a debian repo with the

really sorry to hear that, hope it's nothing terribly bad that happened!
In any case, was wonderful having you in the call!

> daily builds etc as I was helping someone in qa who when installing the
> package with dpkg basically screwed up his installation. I think having a
> repo would be great in the sense one wont have to use dpkg and have to deal
> with dependency issues one can encounter using it.

I think that's more a question for the developers list - someone has to
trigger automated DEB builds...

Florian

Andrew Cassidy Andrew Cassidy

Re: Web Administration

I've used reprepro before. shouldn't be too difficult.

The debs provided are compatible with both, we'd just have to add them to
the database multiple times for each we want to support, for example you'd
add it to precise, wheezy, etc.

I use Gmail which is defaulting to the person who sent the email I reply
to. FreeSWITCH users list sets reply-to, so always replies to the list by
default for me.

--
*Andrew Cassidy BSc (Hons) MBCS SSCA*
Managing Director

*T <[hidden email]> *03300 100 960
*F<[hidden email]>
 *03300 100 961
*E <[hidden email]> *[hidden email]
*W <[hidden email]> *www.cassidywebservices.co.uk

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Web Administration

Florian im going to have to disagree we dont need to involve the
developers. If we have a machine that is producing nightly builds we would
need to tweak it so that it puts the build in their respective repository.
Given the current infrastructure would it be possible to do the above
mentioned for end users. I think this would making things easier especially
for the QA team in terms of being on the latest version and easily updating
on new releases.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Florian Effenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2013-07-29 11:29:
>
>  One thing I really wanted to bring up but I had a family isuse which i had
>> to disappear. I was thinking could the TDF host a debian repo with the
>>

> really sorry to hear that, hope it's nothing terribly bad that happened!
> In any case, was wonderful having you in the call!
>

>  daily builds etc as I was helping someone in qa who when installing the
>> package with dpkg basically screwed up his installation. I think having a
>> repo would be great in the sense one wont have to use dpkg and have to
>> deal
>> with dependency issues one can encounter using it.
>>

> I think that's more a question for the developers list - someone has to
> trigger automated DEB builds...
>
> Florian

Jonathan Aquilina

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Web Administration

Andrew what would be interesting if there was a way to create universal deb
package instead of one for each version.

--
Jonathan Aquilina

Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2013-07-29 12:12:
> Florian im going to have to disagree we dont need to involve the
> developers. If we have a machine that is producing nightly builds we would

the buld bots producing the nightly builds are machines run by
developers. :-)

Florian

Alex Waite Alex Waite

Re: Web Administration

> Also, I noticed that the packages for 4.1 do not replace the ones for 4.0,
> so I essentially had 2 copies of LibreOffice installed to other day.

I think this is (currently) by design, so that TDF packaged don't
override the system ones.

> For the majority of users, having this linked into their systems update
> mechanism will help keep the majority of the userbase up to date, anyone
> who doesn't want to update can always pin the older versions in apt.

No arguments here.

> Sorry I'm having issues finding that specific thread in the archives, do
> you have a link?

Here's the link on Nabble.

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/minutes-of-ESC-call-td4066046.html

> With regards to time, that's the answer I was hoping for :)

Glad to hear you're interested.

---Alex

Alex Waite Alex Waite

Re: Web Administration

On 07/29/2013 12:13 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Andrew what would be interesting if there was a way to create universal deb
> package instead of one for each version.

It's much easier to just do t the right way and compile in a chroot for
each target distro/release. It's not that hard, and it's a much better
way to do it.

---Alex

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Web Administration

Alex if you want to go back to system versions you purge the nightly and
then remove the repo and reinstall the system version

I have added the developers list.

Greetings developers

I wanted to put forth a suggestion at the admin weekend this past weekend
but I have done so now. As in the previous emails the suggestion was to
create TDF hosted deb and rpm based repositories. I was talking with joel
madero earlier in the week and using dpkg basically messed up his system.
Seeing as dpkg doesnt do dependency resolution I was thinking of a
repository to prevent end users from having to use dpkg and run into
dependency problems.

Seeing as the builds are mostly automated all that would need to be done is
them put in the repo. The advantage of these repos is that those that want
to be on the bleeding edge can as well i feel it will improve overall QA as
it is easier to install the latest version. This isnt limited to Debian
based distros but can also be applied to rpm based distros as well.

Looking forward to developer feed back

Regards
Jonathan

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Alex Waite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, I noticed that the packages for 4.1 do not replace the ones for 4.0,
>> so I essentially had 2 copies of LibreOffice installed to other day.
>>

> I think this is (currently) by design, so that TDF packaged don't override
> the system ones.
>

>  For the majority of users, having this linked into their systems update
>> mechanism will help keep the majority of the userbase up to date, anyone
>> who doesn't want to update can always pin the older versions in apt.
>>

> No arguments here.
>

>  Sorry I'm having issues finding that specific thread in the archives, do
>> you have a link?
>>

> Here's the link on Nabble.
>
> http://nabble.**documentfoundation.org/**minutes-of-ESC-call-td4066046.**
> html<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/minutes-of-ESC-call-td4066046.html>
>

>  With regards to time, that's the answer I was hoping for :)
>>

> Glad to hear you're interested.
>
> ---Alex

Jonathan Aquilina

Andrew Cassidy Andrew Cassidy

Re: Web Administration

My thought was more for stable release version rather than nightlies,
knowing how long some of the  packages can take to reach the distro
repositories. LibreOffice in Debian Stable is 3.5, backports has 4.0.3 but
we're actually on 4.1 which has only just hit unstable.

Maybe the situation isn't quite as bad as I thought with distro repos, but
it'd still be nice to have quicker repository access to newer versions as
they're released.

On 29 July 2013 11:23, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex if you want to go back to system versions you purge the nightly and
> then remove the repo and reinstall the system version
>
> I have added the developers list.
>
> Greetings developers
>
> I wanted to put forth a suggestion at the admin weekend this past weekend
> but I have done so now. As in the previous emails the suggestion was to
> create TDF hosted deb and rpm based repositories. I was talking with joel
> madero earlier in the week and using dpkg basically messed up his system.
> Seeing as dpkg doesnt do dependency resolution I was thinking of a
> repository to prevent end users from having to use dpkg and run into
> dependency problems.
>
> Seeing as the builds are mostly automated all that would need to be done is
> them put in the repo. The advantage of these repos is that those that want
> to be on the bleeding edge can as well i feel it will improve overall QA as
> it is easier to install the latest version. This isnt limited to Debian
> based distros but can also be applied to rpm based distros as well.
>

> Looking forward to developer feed back
>
> Regards
> Jonathan
>

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Alex Waite <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Also, I noticed that the packages for 4.1 do not replace the ones for
> 4.0,
> >> so I essentially had 2 copies of LibreOffice installed to other day.
> >>

> > I think this is (currently) by design, so that TDF packaged don't
> override
> > the system ones.
> >

> >  For the majority of users, having this linked into their systems update
> >> mechanism will help keep the majority of the userbase up to date, anyone
> >> who doesn't want to update can always pin the older versions in apt.
> >>

> > No arguments here.
> >

> >  Sorry I'm having issues finding that specific thread in the archives, do
> >> you have a link?
> >>

> > Here's the link on Nabble.
> >
> > http://nabble.**
> documentfoundation.org/**minutes-of-ESC-call-td4066046.**
> > html<
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/minutes-of-ESC-call-td4066046.html>
> >

> >  With regards to time, that's the answer I was hoping for :)
> >>

> > Glad to hear you're interested.
> >
> > ---Alex
> >

> > --
> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/>
> > deleted
> >

> --
> Jonathan Aquilina

*Andrew Cassidy BSc (Hons) MBCS SSCA*
Managing Director

*T <[hidden email]> *03300 100 960
*F<[hidden email]>
 *03300 100 961
*E <[hidden email]> *[hidden email]
*W <[hidden email]> *www.cassidywebservices.co.uk

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: Web Administration

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:38:00AM +0100, Andrew Cassidy wrote:
> My thought was more for stable release version rather than nightlies,
> knowing how long some of the  packages can take to reach the distro
> repositories. LibreOffice in Debian Stable is 3.5, backports has 4.0.3 but
> we're actually on 4.1 which has only just hit unstable.
>
> Maybe the situation isn't quite as bad as I thought with distro repos, but
> it'd still be nice to have quicker repository access to newer versions as
> they're released.

so, IMHO doing essentially a "TDF-hosted PPA" to solve the dependency issue
wont fly, as the dependencies are different for each distro and release. Which,
btw is one of the reasons it takes some time to get the PPAs and distro
releases ready. That said: Ubuntu had its ppa locked and loading upon release
for Ubuntu+1 (Ubuntu 13.10/saucy), for the current Ubuntu release (Ubuntu
13.04) and the LTS release (Ubuntu 12.04).

On Debian, Rene is really quick with getting builds into debian experimental.
So if you want to do early testing, why not get the package from there? If that
is not quick enough for you, Rene sometimes has even earlier builds available,
which you can test with the caveats: might eat your cat and sacrifice your
children. If you are fine with that, you might even help Rene by doing some
testing.

tl;dr: Its tiresome, boring work to get all the dependencies right for stable
LibreOffice package. The build itself isnt really the problem there and you are
not magically solving the hard problem by making a TDF-PPA. In fact, you make
things worse by splitting forces.

Best,

Bjoern

Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

Re: Web Administration

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:03:06PM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:38:00AM +0100, Andrew Cassidy wrote:
> > My thought was more for stable release version rather than nightlies,
> > knowing how long some of the  packages can take to reach the distro
> > repositories. LibreOffice in Debian Stable is 3.5, backports has 4.0.3 but
> > we're actually on 4.1 which has only just hit unstable.

What on earth? "only just"?
4.1 has hit unstable _on the day it was released_. There's nothing
sane doing otherwise. Get your facts straight, please.

Backports has 4.0.3 because there's no sense to jump on every version which
still needs to be tested to be exposed to stable users. And 3.5, yeah, it sucks
but 3.6 was't ready by the time wheezy was frozen...

> On Debian, Rene is really quick with getting builds into debian experimental.

And as Bjoen says, all betas and rcs were in experimental nefore

> So if you want to do early testing, why not get the package from there? If that
> is not quick enough for you, Rene sometimes has even earlier builds available,
> which you can test with the caveats: might eat your cat and sacrifice your
> children. If you are fine with that, you might even help Rene by doing some
> testing.

For example: http://people.debian.org/~rene/libreoffice/4.2.0/
(because of firebird)

> tl;dr: Its tiresome, boring work to get all the dependencies right for stable
> LibreOffice package. The build itself isnt really the problem there and you are
> not magically solving the hard problem by making a TDF-PPA. In fact, you make
> things worse by splitting forces.

ACK.

Regards,

Rene

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:08:28PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Backports has 4.0.3 because there's no sense to jump on every version which
> still needs to be tested to be exposed to stable users. And 3.5, yeah, it sucks
> but 3.6 was't ready by the time wheezy was frozen...

Besides that, I uploaded dthe 4.0.x backport quickly after 4.0.x was in
unstable. (factually breaking the rules, but LO has a exception for important
updates. 3.5-Y>4.0 is so). Otherwise the policy is "take from testing".
4.1 will follow when it's tested in unstable...

Should I tell you what hinders in from entering testing now?

$ grep-excuses libreoffice
libreoffice (1:4.0.3-3 to 1:4.1.0-2)
    Maintainer: Debian LibreOffice Maintainers
    Too young, only 1 of 10 days old
[ missing builds on armel, armhd, kfreebsd-i386, kfreebsd-amd64 ]
[ RC bug which is fixed ]
    Not considered
    Depends: libreoffice kde-runtime (not considered)
    Depends: libreoffice liborcus (not considered)
    Depends: libreoffice mdds (not considered)
    Depends: libreoffice python3-defaults (not considered)

Thus it's blocked by
 a) being too young
 b) by the KDE people adding a stricter depends and that one's blocked due to
    a bug
 c) new dependencies LO 4.1 has.
 d) python3-defaults because python3.3-uno was just a workaround and now
    it's back to sane packaging, but with the caveat that it needs the
    new default pyton (python 3.3 IS needed, even upstream)

Please tell me how I should have speeded this up? There's no way out of the
waiting time and no, I am not going to use internal libraries.

Regards,

Rene

Next » 12