[Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

[Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Hello,

(please answer these thread on the website list).

The title pretty much says it all. What do people think about the
download experience of LibreOffice? How can it be improved? Any
particular idea besides a graphical redesign itself?

Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

Re: [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Hi Charles, all,

> (please answer these thread on the website list).

I hope reply-all is appropriate..?

> The title pretty much says it all. What do people think about the
> download experience of LibreOffice? How can it be improved?

Thanks for asking the question, there are two main things that irk me
about it:

1. There is a "download now" button on the homepage. It lies. It
currently is
   a go-to-some-other-page-then-click-Download-again button. I'd much
rather
   like to see a button on the front page that actually starts the
download,
   and a small link below it, "More download options."

2. On our Downloads page, we use absolutely atrocious buttons: these
buttons
   look like they only have one click zone, part of them feel like they
only
   have one click zone (background lights up), yet actually these
things have
   three click zones (Main Installer, Torrent, & Info).
   It is easy to see that this leads to people clicking on the button,
only
   to see nothing happening, because they clicked outside of one the
three
   small zones.
   So, in conclusion, the whole button should be inside an <a> (i.e., a
   hyperlink) element, and Torrent and Info should be placed somewhere
otside
   the big green button.

As an additional suggestion, there could be a bit more space around the
bottom
of the links on the download page. Also, it would be cool if the
buttons on the
homepage looked the same as those on the Download page.

Regards,

Astron.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Hello Astron,

Le Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:38:21 +0001,
Stefan Knorr <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Charles, all,
>
> > (please answer these thread on the website list).
> >

> I hope reply-all is appropriate..?
>

> > The title pretty much says it all. What do people think about the
> > download experience of LibreOffice? How can it be improved?
> >
> Thanks for asking the question, there are two main things that irk me
> about it:
>
> 1. There is a "download now" button on the homepage. It lies. It
> currently is
>    a go-to-some-other-page-then-click-Download-again button. I'd much
> rather
>    like to see a button on the front page that actually starts the
> download,
>    and a small link below it, "More download options."
>
> 2. On our Downloads page, we use absolutely atrocious buttons: these
> buttons
>    look like they only have one click zone, part of them feel like
> they only
>    have one click zone (background lights up), yet actually these
> things have
>    three click zones (Main Installer, Torrent, & Info).
>    It is easy to see that this leads to people clicking on the
> button, only
>    to see nothing happening, because they clicked outside of one the
> three
>    small zones.
>    So, in conclusion, the whole button should be inside an <a> (i.e.,
> a hyperlink) element, and Torrent and Info should be placed somewhere
> otside
>    the big green button.
>

> As an additional suggestion, there could be a bit more space around
> the bottom
> of the links on the download page. Also, it would be cool if the
> buttons on the
> homepage looked the same as those on the Download page.
>
> Regards,
>
> Astron.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

best,
--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Andrew Cassidy Andrew Cassidy

Re: [libreoffice-website] Re: [libreoffice-design] [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

I'd prefer if the download page detected I'm using a .deb based distro
rather than a .rpm one :)

On 12 November 2013 09:27, Charles-H. Schulz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Astron,
>
> Le Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:38:21 +0001,
> Stefan Knorr <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hi Charles, all,
> >
> > > (please answer these thread on the website list).
> > >

> > I hope reply-all is appropriate..?
> >

> > > The title pretty much says it all. What do people think about the
> > > download experience of LibreOffice? How can it be improved?
> > >
> > Thanks for asking the question, there are two main things that irk me
> > about it:
> >
> > 1. There is a "download now" button on the homepage. It lies. It
> > currently is
> >    a go-to-some-other-page-then-click-Download-again button. I'd much
> > rather
> >    like to see a button on the front page that actually starts the
> > download,
> >    and a small link below it, "More download options."
> >
> > 2. On our Downloads page, we use absolutely atrocious buttons: these
> > buttons
> >    look like they only have one click zone, part of them feel like
> > they only
> >    have one click zone (background lights up), yet actually these
> > things have
> >    three click zones (Main Installer, Torrent, & Info).
> >    It is easy to see that this leads to people clicking on the
> > button, only
> >    to see nothing happening, because they clicked outside of one the
> > three
> >    small zones.
> >    So, in conclusion, the whole button should be inside an <a> (i.e.,
> > a hyperlink) element, and Torrent and Info should be placed somewhere
> > otside
> >    the big green button.
> >

> > As an additional suggestion, there could be a bit more space around
> > the bottom
> > of the links on the download page. Also, it would be cool if the
> > buttons on the
> > homepage looked the same as those on the Download page.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Astron.
> >

> Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.
>
> best,
> --
> Charles-H. Schulz
> Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
> Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
> Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

*Andrew Cassidy BSc (Hons) MBCS SSCA*
Managing Director

*T <[hidden email]> *03300 100 960  *F
<[hidden email]> *03300 100 961
*E <[hidden email]> *[hidden email]
*W <[hidden email]> *www.cassidywebservices.co.uk

Teo91 Teo91

Re: [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Charles-H. Schulz wrote
What do people think about the download experience of LibreOffice? How can it be improved? Any
particular idea besides a graphical redesign itself?
I think there should be a clear distinction between early-adopters and rock-solid LO releases.
Lots of users just download the more recent version (e.g. 4.1.0) and then claim it's buggy: they simply don't know why there are two versions.
It would be really useful have a tooltip/little description/symbol who says something like:

( ✓)  LibreOffice  4.0.6 is our conservative and rock-solid version for professional users.

(!) LibreOffice 4.1.3 is our latest, feature rich version for early-adopters and casual users.
Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Hello Teo,

Le Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:41:38 -0800 (PST),
Teo91 <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Charles-H. Schulz wrote
> > What do people think about the download experience of LibreOffice?
> > How can it be improved? Any
> > particular idea besides a graphical redesign itself?
>
> I think there should be a clear distinction between early-adopters and
> rock-solid LO releases.
> Lots of users just download the more recent version (e.g. 4.1.0) and
> then claim it's buggy: they simply don't know why there are two
> versions. It would be really useful have a tooltip/little
> description/symbol who says something like:
>
> ( ✓)  LibreOffice  4.0.6 is our conservative and rock-solid version
> for professional users.
>
> (!) LibreOffice 4.1.3 is our latest, feature rich version for
> early-adopters and casual users.

Well I don't agree on the order of the download nor on what it
suggests, but I like the wording. The 4.1.3 (esp. when it comes to the
x.x.3) is already very stable and production ready. The 4.0.6 is the
one at the end of the support line so we don't want to put that first.

Best,

Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Teo91 Teo91

Re: [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

Thanks for reply, Charles.

My previous descriptions were just examples, I hope the new download page will teach users which is the best suitable version for their needs.
It would be useful show a warning message (e.g. "for early-adopters and casual users") on every major release until the next 3-4 bugfix releases made it production ready.

As a LO supporter, I'm afraid that people who download new releases like 4.2.0 (or 4.1.0, 4.0.0, etc...) found it so "buggy" to give up and don't try LO again. A simple message IMHO could make lots of users happy and avoid a potential lost for LO growth.

Best,

Teo.
dennisroczek dennisroczek

Re: [libreoffice-website] [Website Redesign] Assessing the Download experience

"Selected: LibreOffice Mac OS X (PPC), version 4.1.3, German

No regular installation files are available.
Please change your selection or pick one from the additional downloads
below.

If you're looking for old versions, please visit our download archive."

My experience from some other mailing lists and requests: why not
saying: " we don't support LibO PPC any more, but you still can use and
downlaod the old version 4.X. Click here for the [archive].

(What did I done? http://www.libreoffice.org/download --> PPC clicked)

Moreover I'm using a Mac and multiple Windows PCs. Well my problem
original was: I have to download a "Translated user interface" package
(very bad solution!) for Mac OS X which looks identical to the
"LibreOffice built-in help" for the Windows builds. Well until I
recognized that I had to download two packages for OS X (and how that
installation works) lasted a few moments... Still my q: Why is there no
built-in help for Mac OS X?

Well, room for improvements: integrate the language pack for OS X! ;-)

Dennis Roczek