Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Next » 12
bedipp bedipp

Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi all,

for the ones of you not subscribed to the website mailing list: the
LibreOffice website is online and can be filled with content.

As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I want to
discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.

Main area will be http://marketing.libreoffice.org, I think.

But I'm not really sure for artwork and branding material and definitions.

There might be three or four possible areas

http://art.libreoffice.org
http://branding.libreoffice.org
http://marketing.libreoffice.org/art
http://marketing.libreoffice.org/branding

Personally I think art and branding are more than just sub-sets of
marketing even if marketing material will be necessarily based on artwork.

Therefore I don't think a sub-area of marketing to be appropriate.

Branding can be seen as the official part of artwork, so the main area
would be art.LibO.org with some pages on branding, while other pages
contain less official artwork.

On the other hand branding is much more than artwork alone - it is even
more than marketing, because it wants to provide not only a consistent
visual design but the optical reference of our goals and feelings.

It's about branding to create our working surroundings in a way people
feel comfortable and love to work for the same goal. Those positive
feelings have to be supported (initiated if necessary) not only for the
community members, but for our users too.

But finally it's all about artwork...

My personal preference is

http://art.libreofffice.org

What do you think?

Best regards

Bernhard

I'd prefer http://art.libreoffice.org even if branding.LibO.org is the
more "serious" approach.

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi, :-)

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 06:44, Bernhard Dippold
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But I'm not really sure for artwork and branding material and definitions.
>
> There might be three or four possible areas
>
> http://art.libreoffice.org
+1

David Nelson

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Thu Nov 04 2010 15:44:55 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> My personal preference is
>
> http://art.libreofffice.org

+1

Andy

yorick yorick

On Friday 05 Nov 2010 11:44:55 Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for the ones of you not subscribed to the website mailing list: the
> LibreOffice website is online and can be filled with content.
>
> As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I want to
> discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.
>
> Main area will be http://marketing.libreoffice.org, I think.
>
> But I'm not really sure for artwork and branding material and definitions.
>
> There might be three or four possible areas

I would like to think that we have sufficient numbers in the art project to
warrant art.libreoffice.org.  Certainly with a CMS, contribution will be so
much easier, I think that in itself will grow the art community and the
activity.

Branding I see as part of the Art project that happens to intersect with
marketing.  Branding discussion will occur on the marketing list, branding
elements will be best displayed on the art subsite IMHO.

cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

yorick yorick

yorick yorick

On Saturday 06 Nov 2010 01:16:08 Graham Lauder wrote:

> On Friday 05 Nov 2010 11:44:55 Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > for the ones of you not subscribed to the website mailing list: the
> > LibreOffice website is online and can be filled with content.
> >
> > As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I want to
> > discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.
> >
> > Main area will be http://marketing.libreoffice.org, I think.
> >
> > But I'm not really sure for artwork and branding material and
> > definitions.
> >
> > There might be three or four possible areas
>
> I would like to think that we have sufficient numbers in the art project to
> warrant art.libreoffice.org.  Certainly with a CMS, contribution will be so
> much easier, I think that in itself will grow the art community and the
> activity.
>
> Branding I see as part of the Art project that happens to intersect with
> marketing.  Branding discussion will occur on the marketing list, branding
> elements will be best displayed on the art subsite IMHO.
>
> cheers
> GL

Upon further consideration I'm of the opinion that branding should come uder
Marketing because branding is not only images, it's also about policy.

cheers
GL

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-05 21:00, Graham Lauder a écrit :

> On Saturday 06 Nov 2010 01:16:08 Graham Lauder wrote:
>> On Friday 05 Nov 2010 11:44:55 Bernhard Dippold wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> for the ones of you not subscribed to the website mailing list: the
>>> LibreOffice website is online and can be filled with content.
>>>
>>> As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I want to
>>> discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.
>>>
>>> Main area will be http://marketing.libreoffice.org, I think.
>>>
>>> But I'm not really sure for artwork and branding material and
>>> definitions.
>>>
>>> There might be three or four possible areas
>>
>> I would like to think that we have sufficient numbers in the art project to
>> warrant art.libreoffice.org.  Certainly with a CMS, contribution will be so
>> much easier, I think that in itself will grow the art community and the
>> activity.
>>
>> Branding I see as part of the Art project that happens to intersect with
>> marketing.  Branding discussion will occur on the marketing list, branding
>> elements will be best displayed on the art subsite IMHO.
>>
>> cheers
>> GL
>
> Upon further consideration I'm of the opinion that branding should come uder
> Marketing because branding is not only images, it's also about policy.
>
> cheers
> GL

Ok, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I would say that branding belongs
under marketing. I have always thought that we were here to advertise
and make sure of the visibility of the LibO branding. As to what defines
branding is a subject of debate, but not usually of art. It is normally
defined by the community and from the community there may be, from time
to time, elements that may be sent back to the art members for redesign.

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-05 21:32, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Ok, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I would say that branding belongs
> under marketing. I have always thought that we were here to advertise
> and make sure of the visibility of the LibO branding. As to what defines
> branding is a subject of debate, but not usually of art. It is normally
> defined by the community and from the community there may be, from time
> to time, elements that may be sent back to the art members for redesign.
>
> Marc

I've reread notes from several threads and now am a little confused as
to the definition of the word "branding". It looks like the
understanding of branding may have different implications from the point
of view of drafting a logo and the layman's definition of branding.

As I have always seen it (and I believe that, this is what most people's
understanding of the word):

branding: (Oxford Dictionary)
========
the activity of giving a particular name and image to goods and services
so that people will be attracted to them and want to buy them

* He sees contemporary branding as ‘service with personality’.
* This marketing campaign is the most remarkable branding exercise of
all time.

=========

In this sense the word "branding" is the outcome of the marketing
activity that will give a name its popularity and has no relationship in
the completion of the logo creation process.

However, it seems that there is another definition of the word
"branding" in the world of the craft of logo design. The branding of the
logo by which colours and shades are applied to an, as of yet,
unfinished logo, as a final step in the creation process.

Herein lies the problem with categorizing our understanding of the word
"branding", two divergent definitions.

We should therefore take a closer look at the word "branding" and
determine between both of our groups, designers and marketers, as to
which side of the fence sits the word.

If "branding" is commonly known in the design professions as a final
step in the completion of a logo design schedule, in this case it could
only be categorized as a subset of an art project. On the other hand, if
"branding", in the process of  completing a logo, occupies a leading
role in the completion of the creation of a logo design schedule, in
this case is deserves a separate category unto itself but still under
the "art" umbrella.

However, if "branding" is meant as the activity associated with the
marketing of different identifying traits of LibO, of which its logo,
then "branding" should occupy a place as a subset of the marketing section.

We, therefore, need to agree on the definition of the word "branding"
before giving it its category placement.

Marc

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hallo Bernhard,

Am 04.11.2010 23:44, schrieb Bernhard Dippold:

> As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I
> want to discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.
>
> Main area will be http://marketing.libreoffice.org, I think.

I don´t think so.

>From what I understand, the new concept is to use the website,
created by the CMS, mainly for users focus. Developers stuff,
project collaboration stuff, resources for project members et cetera
are supposed to be on the wiki.

So, I think, we will never have something like
http://marketing.libreoffice.org.

There will be a simple international http://www.libreoffice.org and
lots of translations of it, like

http://ar.libreoffice.org
http://de.libreoffice.org
http://it.libreoffice.org
http://fr.libreoffice.org
http://ru.libreoffice.org
http://zh-hans.libreoffice.org

and so on.

But I don´t see any concept for having subprojects like marketing or
QA or API or ux or sw or sc or whatever in the CMS. They all have
their place on the wiki.

We want to avoid the mixture of user oriented information and
services and project orientated information and services on the
website, that we have been suffering on the openoffice.org website.

This new concept is not my invention, but my impression I got from
what I have been reading and hearing.

Also, I personally would advocate this new concept.

Servus,
Stefan

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Stefan,
My name is Michael Wheatland and I am working on the Drupal Website
development team. In case you are unaware we are currently designing a
fully integrated website for the LibreOffice community which will
replace the existing site in around 3-6 months.

On the aspect of project sub-domains and localised sub-domains, the
question remains, if we functionally separate the community into
individual groups we may not have as rich interaction as we would have
with one, unified site which caters for all aspects of the community.

There will of course be areas which deal exclusively with a working
project team such as the artwork or marketing teams, however in
integrating the community we will encourage participation across
specialities which should enrich the community with both a wide range
of views and new idea generation in many areas. A good example of this
type of unity is the KDE community: http://www.kde.org/community

There will also be geographical groups, however the Drupal Website Dev
Team is currently working on the framework to eliminate the language
barrier using a combination of manual and automated translation
systems. In many cases you will be able to communicate directly with
another member who you do not share any language with, yet still have
the ability to discuss, conceptualise and develop ideas together
without a third party involved.

I would suggest that if you have views about what you want from the
website I would suggest getting involved with the
[hidden email] mailing list or visiting the Drupal Website
Development Wiki page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal

We have already been consulting with the documentation team on
workflows and their requirements, and we are about to start to develop
the other project teams infrastructure. I am sure you will be hearing
more of us very soon.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

bedipp bedipp

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi Marc, *

thanks for pointing out the main question in definition of "branding"

Marc Paré schrieb:

> [...]
>
> As I have always seen it (and I believe that, this is what most people's
> understanding of the word):
>
> branding: (Oxford Dictionary)
> ========
> the activity of giving a particular name and image to goods and services
> so that people will be attracted to them and want to buy them
>
> * He sees contemporary branding as ‘service with personality’.
> * This marketing campaign is the most remarkable branding exercise of
> all time.
>
> =========
>
> In this sense the word "branding" is the outcome of the marketing
> activity that will give a name its popularity and has no relationship in
> the completion of the logo creation process.
>
> However, it seems that there is another definition of the word
> "branding" in the world of the craft of logo design. The branding of the
> logo by which colours and shades are applied to an, as of yet,
> unfinished logo, as a final step in the creation process.
>
> [...]
>
> If[...]"branding", in the process of completing a logo, occupies a leading role
> in the completion of the creation of a logo design schedule, in this
> case is deserves a separate category unto itself but still under the
> "art" umbrella.
>
> However, if "branding" is meant as the activity associated with the
> marketing of different identifying traits of LibO, of which its logo,
> then "branding" should occupy a place as a subset of the marketing section.

My understanding contains both:

Branding is not only logo design and visual design in general, but
covers all activities to improve brand recognition and brand awareness
in public and inside the community.

Despite the Oxford definition I think community awareness with the
knowledge and (even more) the feeling of belonging together between the
different groups of the community is part of branding activity too.

In the most extreme definition branding is the umbrella for marketing,
art, user experience and user interface...

... but I don't think that this will be shared by the majority here and
in the other teams involved, so I don't want to define a mega category
inside the community.

Christoph came up with an other idea (offlist, but will present it soon
here on the list) I like very much - avoiding the category branding and
art at all.

So please wait a bit more - it is worthwhile IMHO.

Best regards

Bernhard

Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi Bernhard,

2010/11/4 Bernhard Dippold <[hidden email]>:
> for the ones of you not subscribed to the website mailing list: the
> LibreOffice website is online and can be filled with content.
>
> As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I want to
> discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.

[..]

I have to second mostly what Stefan Weigel told here earlier,

The CMS is not intended to do the projects work inside. It should only
contain the results for the wider public, in this case logos, banners
etc.
The work should be done with the lists and the wiki.
The wiki is actually in need for more structure, but this is on
another piece of paper.

Thanks for considering

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi Michael,

Am 07.11.2010 11:12, schrieb Michael Wheatland:

> My name is Michael Wheatland and I am working on the Drupal Website
> development team. In case you are unaware we are currently designing a
> fully integrated website for the LibreOffice community which will
> replace the existing site in around 3-6 months.

Yes, I have heard, that some people are working on a Drupal
solution. However, from what I know, the Steering Committee decided
to work with Silverstripe, and we are currently working with
Silverstripe. The Steering Committee did *not* yet decide a
replacement of Silverstripe by Drupal in the future. They just
suggested further investigation on how Drupal could be a future
solution. The Steering Committee did not decide about a time frame.
(I just read the minutes again.)

However, Bernhard is referring to the LibreOffice website, that is
to be filled with content *now* and this is Silverstripe.

> There will also be geographical groups, however the Drupal Website Dev
> Team is currently working on the framework to eliminate the language
> barrier using a combination of manual and automated translation
> systems. In many cases you will be able to communicate directly with
> another member who you do not share any language with, yet still have
> the ability to discuss, conceptualise and develop ideas together
> without a third party involved.

Maybe important and interesting work, no doubt.

> I would suggest that if you have views about what you want from the
> website I would suggest getting involved with the
> [hidden email] mailing list or visiting the Drupal Website
> Development Wiki page:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal

I´d rather concentrate on filling the existing website with the very
urgently needed content, immediately.

I am answering here at [hidden email] rather than posting
on [hidden email], because Bernhard raised this issue here.

What you guys are doing, is building up a new house. I am engaged in
disaster management and emergency service, trying to accomodate the
homeless *now*. ;-)

Both is necessary, though.

Stefan

bedipp bedipp

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi Stefan, *

just a short notice:

Stefan Weigel schrieb:
> Hi Michael,
> [...]However, from what I know, the Steering Committee decided
> to work with Silverstripe, and we are currently working with
> Silverstripe. The Steering Committee did *not* yet decide a
> replacement of Silverstripe by Drupal in the future. They just
> suggested further investigation on how Drupal could be a future
> solution. The Steering Committee did not decide about a time frame.
> (I just read the minutes again.)

But I think you didn't read the mail Florian sent to the website list:
http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/msg00607.html

"it will be Silverstripe as a starter, with plans to migrate to Drupal
later on"

So it's much more than further investigation.

And about the time frame please read Florian's next mail in this thread:
http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/msg00610.html

"The plan indeed is that we hope that the Drupal folks will work on
their ideas, so we can, probably in 6 months or so, migrate to it."

Best regards

Bernhard

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

Hi all!

A very interesting discussion - I wished this one would have started
about one year within the OpenOffice.org project. So my personal
thoughts ...

For reasons of efficiency, I'll refer to the Wikipedia article
considering branding [1], although some things are different if a
product is shaped by a community. But however, the main thoughts are
identical.

Am Sonntag, den 07.11.2010, 12:23 +0100 schrieb Bernhard Dippold:
> In the most extreme definition branding is the umbrella for marketing,
> art, user experience and user interface...

Yes.

We start with a plain user - what does he perceive when finally using
our software? What is his experience? Having in mind, that most users
don't know the community and what Open-Source-Software really is
about...

He will perceive the functionality (maybe a "just works"), the issues
("grrrr" and "never use it again"). This starts from the initial
installation of the software until the (hopefully not) removal. Usually
people refer to that being the (overall) "User Experience". One part of
that is the visual appearance - including logo text, graphics, claims.

In the best of all worlds (no issues, just pleasing experience), the
visual design exactly matches and emphasizes this positive experience.
So the logo and the visuals express the already perceived feelings and
emotions. But ...

The world isn't that optimal - so the branding does (at least in parts)
communicate what the creator(s) of the product had in mind - whether
they achieved the goal or not. So creators want to communicate a certain
"feeling" or "emotion" whether the product will create it or not
(usually producers of sweet beverages communicate the social aspect
within their promotion activities).

However, an example that is more valid for us: A very extreme and
progressive branding (new, innovative, cutting edge) will fail for most
people - because we (finally) cannot prove that this is correct (no
trust after a certain time). At the moment, we can provide something
like: versatility, productivity, quality.

Another aspect is, that we are a group of individuals and companies who
create a software - together. So we also think about our own motivation
- and usually want to express that. A famous example is the Ubuntu logo
- three people in a circle, warm colors. (By the way, Ubuntu has some
very good reading at [2].)

Finally, a good branding considers all of these aspects. It shapes how
we want to be perceived, but also what we currently stand for. It
considers our users and our community. If things are too different, then
we have to work on separate brandings for both software and community.
This is far more important than a simple logo. But this has to be done
without rush ...

> ... but I don't think that this will be shared by the majority here
> and in the other teams involved, so I don't want to define a mega
> category inside the community.

At the moment, we make up the "initial branding" without exact knowledge
what all the people here think, without a long-term product roadmap
which might have influence. So - to come back to the initial question -
we currently work on the "Visual brand identity" [3] and are assuming
some of the issues mentioned before.

To make sure that this is correct, we have these discussions on the
"object" (logo, presentations, colors) - although we should discuss
about values and visual language. When I initially made up the branding
page, I tried to quickly summarize my assumptions [4] based on our
discussions / previous experiences within OOo (to be continued).

This is now. I'm really looking forward to work with more experienced
designers, more knowledge about our project and the software we want to
shape to make up the "community branding" for LibreOffice. In the
meantime, thanks for your patience, support and the discussions to - at
least - create something that will work for the next release!

@ Bernhard: Still thinking about the structuring proposal :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand

[2] http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ubuntu-brand-guidelines/

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand#Visual_brand_identity

[4] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Branding

bedipp bedipp

Stefan Weigel schrieb:

> Hallo Bernhard,
>
> Am 04.11.2010 23:44, schrieb Bernhard Dippold:
>
>> As the author / publisher privileges can be bound to subsites, I
>> want to discuss the main structure of the marketing related website.
>>
>> Main area will be http://marketing.libreoffice.org, I think.
>
> I don´t think so.
>
> From what I understand, the new concept is to use the website,
> created by the CMS, mainly for users focus. Developers stuff,
> project collaboration stuff, resources for project members et cetera
> are supposed to be on the wiki.

I've been subscribed to the website mailing list already from the
beginning - and I didn't get this impression, even if it has positive
aspects of course.

> So, I think, we will never have something like
> http://marketing.libreoffice.org.
>
> [...]I don´t see any concept for having subprojects like marketing or
> QA or API or ux or sw or sc or whatever in the CMS. They all have
> their place on the wiki.

As I think Christian is aware of the goals and the way the team decided
to achieve them. On the website list he replied to my question:

"Do you plan to divide access to different areas (not only native-lang,
but teams like marketing/branding, QA, ...) ?"

without mentioning any of the points you describe here:
(http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/msg00808.html)

Christian wrote:
> It is possible to have different access by subsites - and by default a
> member will only have access to the one subsite he requests access
> for, but of course a user can be author in de project, publisher in
> marketing, and subsite admn in qa project.
>
> It is also possible to have special areas within a subsite with
> different permission setup.

that's me:
>> I'd like to have publisher access (mainly for branding/artwork and marketing
>> material).
>
> What would the preferred hostname be? artwork or branding? or is it
> meant to all be within the marketing project?

That's the reason to come up with this question here.

> We want to avoid the mixture of user oriented information and
> services and project orientated information and services on the
> website, that we have been suffering on the openoffice.org website.

I'm not fully convinced - there are areas that should be presented on
the website rather than in the wiki: Press material, officially approved
artwork, all the stuff that shouldn't modified but used unchanged is
better located on the website but in the wiki with locked pages / resources.

If we decide to replace not only the website CMS but also the wiki by
Drupal (this really has not been decided - and it doesn't need to at the
moment), these questions will become less important I think.

> This new concept is not my invention, but my impression I got from
> what I have been reading and hearing.

So this concept should be discussed and decided on the website mailing
list - it's not at all a marketing only topic.

Best regards

Bernhard

drewjensen drewjensen

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 15:05 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> So this concept should be discussed and decided on the website
> mailing
> list - it's not at all a marketing only topic.

Agree - and the only thing I would add, here, is this.

OpenOffice.org had one domain to use.

We have two:
LibreOffice.org
DocumentFoundation.org

They should IMO have different focus.

So, we have the option even to do this:

de.libreoffice.org/docs = Location to find the user documentation.

docs.documentfoundation.org = Location for those working on developing
the documentation.

You also have the option to do this:

wiki.libreoffice.org = MediaWiki libreoffice namespace

wiki.documentfoundation.org = MediaWiki documentfoundation namespace

Again, there can be a real difference in layout, features turned on, and
the like, between the different namespaces. With libreoffice being
focused on presenting information to end users and documentfoundation
focused for use by the different development teams.

Thanks

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Website online - question on main structure for art / branding / marketing

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 15:05 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> So, I think, we will never have something like
> > http://marketing.libreoffice.org.

Hi Bernhard,

So to finish pulling my last email into this particular discussion.

IMO the proper place for the user facing marketing page is:

www.libreoffice.org (de.libreoffice.org, etc)

The place for the those looking for marketing pieces, to use for
local/special events or to work on general material would be:

marketing.documentfoundation.org

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-07 09:05, Bernhard Dippold a écrit :

> If we decide to replace not only the website CMS but also the wiki by
> Drupal (this really has not been decided - and it doesn't need to at the
> moment), these questions will become less important I think.
>>
>> This new concept is not my invention, but my impression I got from
>> what I have been reading and hearing.
>
> So this concept should be discussed and decided on the website mailing
> list - it's not at all a marketing only topic.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

Hi Bernhard:

The Drupal team is trying to make an effort to listen/lurk on all
mailists in order to collect information/opinions influential in the
development of the TDF/LibO Drupal development.

I believe that Michael and myself are trying to listen in on the Website
mailist as often as we can (myself, I am part of the marketing team).

I am sure there would be a way to integrate the Wikis into the Drupal
site if this were one of the requests.

We can look into this.

Marc

Ian-2 Ian-2

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 10:55 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:

> I am sure there would be a way to integrate the Wikis into the Drupal
> site if this were one of the requests.
>
> We can look into this.

Seems to me that Drupal public pages do much of what a wiki does.

Anyway, I have put details about certification in the marketing ideas
section.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas

Maybe certification is a section in it's own right rather than a subset
of marketing? Not sure, but it can stay here for the time being.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications

Next » 12