What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

Hi all

I just updated LO from 3.6.4.3 to 4.0 rc3
Thanks to the patch from Stephan Bergmann (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061) some items are now migrated to 4.0

Items migrated: User Data, View preferences (such as icon theme and size)
Items NOT migrated: Recent Document list, Extensions

Is this expected? Shouldn't it pick up all items so that you continue from where you left off?

Anyone noticed other lost items?

Cheers,
Pedro
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

On 02/01/2013 06:21 PM, Pedro wrote:

> I just updated LO from 3.6.4.3 to 4.0 rc3
> Thanks to the patch from Stephan Bergmann
> (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061) some items are now
> migrated to 4.0
>
> Items migrated: User Data, View preferences (such as icon theme and size)
> Items NOT migrated: Recent Document list, Extensions
>
> Is this expected? Shouldn't it pick up all items so that you continue from
> where you left off?

I just updated <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061#c27>,
comment 27 to " Not all personal data imported during install from /3
User Profile," with some rationale and details.

Can you be more specific about extensions not being migrated?  In
general, they should be.

Stephan
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-qa] Poor migration of user profiles to LO 4 (was: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?)

[getting the dev list into the loop]

On 02/04/2013 12:39 PM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> On 02/01/2013 06:21 PM, Pedro wrote:
>> I just updated LO from 3.6.4.3 to 4.0 rc3
>> Thanks to the patch from Stephan Bergmann
>> (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061) some items are now
>> migrated to 4.0
>>
>> Items migrated: User Data, View preferences (such as icon theme and size)
>> Items NOT migrated: Recent Document list, Extensions
>>
>> Is this expected? Shouldn't it pick up all items so that you continue
>> from
>> where you left off?
>
> I just updated <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061#c27>,
> comment 27 to " Not all personal data imported during install from /3
> User Profile," with some rationale and details.

Quoting <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061#c27>:

"In general, what parts of an old user profile are migrated is
controlled by configuration settings in the
/org.openoffice.Setup/Migration tree (see
officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu).  The data that is
present there is apparently mostly what had been there for the migration
from OOo 2 to OOo 3 already.  The reason why certain parts of a user
profile had been excluded from migration back than are probably lost to
history.

"Note that this user profile migration code already kicked in on Linux
during the LO 3 timeframe, when
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=9276f7d5740a28b342db2a9bcd8644ff2f4f5742>
'fdo#32263' moved the location of the user profile from ~/.libreoffice/3
to ~/.config/libreoffice/3 and
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=6b522673373797bbf53d795d53e0ec45175a5d67>
'default config location has changed, look in old config dir when
migrating' enabled LO's migration code to migrate from an existing
~/.libreoffice/3 to a new ~/.config/libreoffice/3.

"Therefore, at least my assumption would have been that that migration
worked acceptably, or else (Linux) users would already have complained
when upgrading from old LO 3 versions (that used ~/.libreoffice/3) to
newer LO 3 versions (that used ~/.config/libreoffice/3) about settings
getting lost.  However, re-checking that now, things like the list of
recently used documents indeed were not migrated back then, either.
Apparently nobody looked at the migration machinery in detail, whether
it works acceptably for migrating individual settings to a new LO 4 user
profile."

I'm not sure what our position should be on that.  Given that it didn't
work any better in the Linux case discussed above, do we consider this
good enough?  Or is it severe enough to consider it a blocker for 4.0.0?

In any case, I'm personally not familiar enough with the various stuff
actually stored in the user profile (apart from the extension stuff, for
which I checked that it should be generally covered) to judge what to do
about it, so I would ask people who do know specifics about certain
parts of the user profile to step in.

Stephan
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Petr Mladek Petr Mladek
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor migration of user profiles to LO 4 (was: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?)

Stephan Bergmann píše v Po 04. 02. 2013 v 12:54 +0100:

> Quoting <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061#c27>:
>
> "In general, what parts of an old user profile are migrated is
> controlled by configuration settings in the
> /org.openoffice.Setup/Migration tree (see
> officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu).  The data that is
> present there is apparently mostly what had been there for the migration
> from OOo 2 to OOo 3 already.  The reason why certain parts of a user
> profile had been excluded from migration back than are probably lost to
> history.
>
> "Note that this user profile migration code already kicked in on Linux
> during the LO 3 timeframe, when
> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=9276f7d5740a28b342db2a9bcd8644ff2f4f5742>
> 'fdo#32263' moved the location of the user profile from ~/.libreoffice/3
> to ~/.config/libreoffice/3
>
> I'm not sure what our position should be on that.  Given that it didn't
> work any better in the Linux case discussed above, do we consider this
> good enough?  Or is it severe enough to consider it a blocker for 4.0.0?

IMHO, it is not a blocker but it would be nice to improve it in the
upcoming bugfix releases.

I think that it is not a blocker because it partly works. It was good
enough for Linux in the past and I am not aware of complaining users.
Finally, It might take some time until we solve all the missing parts
and potential bugs. Finally, the .0 release is intended for early
adopters and might include even annoying bugs.

> In any case, I'm personally not familiar enough with the various stuff
> actually stored in the user profile (apart from the extension stuff, for
> which I checked that it should be generally covered) to judge what to do
> about it, so I would ask people who do know specifics about certain
> parts of the user profile to step in.

Is it mostly about modifying the include/exclude parts in
officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu? Or do you think that
some more extensive coding is necessary, please?

Best Regards,
Petr

_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor migration of user profiles to LO 4

On 02/04/2013 02:04 PM, Petr Mladek wrote:

> Stephan Bergmann píše v Po 04. 02. 2013 v 12:54 +0100:
>> Quoting <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061#c27>:
>>
>> "In general, what parts of an old user profile are migrated is
>> controlled by configuration settings in the
>> /org.openoffice.Setup/Migration tree (see
>> officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu).  The data that is
>> present there is apparently mostly what had been there for the migration
>> from OOo 2 to OOo 3 already.  The reason why certain parts of a user
>> profile had been excluded from migration back than are probably lost to
>> history.
>>
>> "Note that this user profile migration code already kicked in on Linux
>> during the LO 3 timeframe, when
>> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=9276f7d5740a28b342db2a9bcd8644ff2f4f5742>
>> 'fdo#32263' moved the location of the user profile from ~/.libreoffice/3
>> to ~/.config/libreoffice/3
>>
>> I'm not sure what our position should be on that.  Given that it didn't
>> work any better in the Linux case discussed above, do we consider this
>> good enough?  Or is it severe enough to consider it a blocker for 4.0.0?
>
> IMHO, it is not a blocker but it would be nice to improve it in the
> upcoming bugfix releases.

But note that such improvements in LO 4.0.x will only benefit users who
didn't already install LO 4.0.0.

> I think that it is not a blocker because it partly works. It was good
> enough for Linux in the past and I am not aware of complaining users.

I guess <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57061> qualifies
as one.

>> In any case, I'm personally not familiar enough with the various stuff
>> actually stored in the user profile (apart from the extension stuff, for
>> which I checked that it should be generally covered) to judge what to do
>> about it, so I would ask people who do know specifics about certain
>> parts of the user profile to step in.
>
> Is it mostly about modifying the include/exclude parts in
> officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu? Or do you think that
> some more extensive coding is necessary, please?

I would assume that it is indeed mostly about the former.

Stephan
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

In reply to this post by sberg
Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
Can you be more specific about extensions not being migrated?  In
general, they should be.
I installed a Portuguese dictionary for All users under 3.6
It doesn't show up on the Extension Manager list.

Pedro
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

On 02/04/2013 03:30 PM, Pedro wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
>> Can you be more specific about extensions not being migrated?  In
>> general, they should be.
>
> I installed a Portuguese dictionary for All users under 3.6
> It doesn't show up on the Extension Manager list.

Ah, extensions installed for all users are never actively migrated
across LO upgrades.  (Technically, an extension installed for all users
manifests itself as data added to the share/uno_packages/ directory in a
LO installation.  So if you upgrade LO versions by installing the new
version into the same place as the old one, it will carry any extensions
installed for all users across.  If like on Windows however the default
installation path for LO 3.6 is something like C:\Program
Files\LibreOffice 3.6 while that for LO 4.0 is C:\Program
Files\LibreOffcie 4.0, the extensions installed for all users will
effectively get lost.  This would imply that those extensions also
effectively got lost when upgrading from, say, LO 3.5 to LO 3.6 on
Windows; adding András on cc about that.)

If you want any changes here (and note that behavior is highly dependent
on installation specifics, which in turn are highly platform-specifc --
like what shall happen if an admin on Mac dragged a 3.6 LibreOffice.app
to /Applications/foo and now drags a 4.0 Libreoffice.app to
/Applications/bar?), I guess it's best to file feature requests.

Stephan
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

Hi Stephan, all

Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
If like on Windows however the default
installation path for LO 3.6 is something like C:\Program
Files\LibreOffice 3.6 while that for LO 4.0 is C:\Program
Files\LibreOffcie 4.0, the extensions installed for all users will
effectively get lost.  This would imply that those extensions also
effectively got lost when upgrading from, say, LO 3.5 to LO 3.6 on
Windows; adding András on cc about that.)
Actually it's even worse. The extension is installed in
C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\lu3dp2o.tmp_\oo3x-pt_PT.oxt
where lu3dp2o.tmp_ is some randomly generated folder name...

It would probably make more sense to install to
C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\share\extensions
which is where the other extensions are...

In any case, you are right. As long as TDF / LO insists on creating version named folders (which is a Linux thing and causes all these unnecessary problems under Windows) there is no way to migrate/re-use extensions.

BTW It makes no sense to keep version named folders for the program if the installer updates the version i.e. it removes the previous version before installing the new one. If you want to keep the old version then all files should be kept and new links created in the Startup group. If it is going to be replaced then just name the folder LibreOffice.

Cheers,
Pedro
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

On 02/05/2013 01:39 PM, Pedro wrote:
> Actually it's even worse. The extension is installed in
> C:\Program Files\LibreOffice
> 4.0\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\lu3dp2o.tmp_\oo3x-pt_PT.oxt
> where lu3dp2o.tmp_ is some randomly generated folder name...
>
> It would probably make more sense to install to
> C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\share\extensions
> which is where the other extensions are...

share/extensions is about bundled extensions, while share/uno_packages
is about shared ones

Stephan
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
share/extensions is about bundled extensions, while share/uno_packages
is about shared ones
Ok. But

C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\share\uno_packages\oo3x-pt_PT.oxt

or even better

C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\share\uno_packages\dict-pt

makes a bit more sense than

\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\lu3dp2o.tmp_\oo3x-pt_PT.oxt