WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice micro site

Sidorela Uku Sidorela Uku

WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice micro site

Helloall,

Great to be part of the LO marketing mailing list. This is my first post
here and I'm happy to update you on the work that Collective68 has been
doing during this time for WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice site. Please check
them and feel free to share your thoughts with us, feedback is always
welcome :)

Repository of the code:
https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice

Preview of the site:
https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice

Sitemap with the content of the site is documented here:
https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice(based
on the discussion and feedback from LibreOffice marketing mailing list
and video calls)

At the moment site is only in English and half Albanian. We have
documented one wayof doing translations on the site here:
https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice
For the next steps, the idea is to gather feedback based on the preview
link mentioned above and we agree on this list on which we have quite a
good progress, we propose to transfer the code on LibreOffice or TDF
online infrastructure and make it easier for even more people who are
interested to improve the project even more. After this stage also the
documentation on how to get involved will be added as well.

/Design for the site:/
     We had three proposals. Which are uploaded also in our git works:
https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/our-works/tree/master/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice
Now we have proceed with the first version from those. Feedback from the
community is welcomed.
Please let me know if you have any other question regarding the site. In
my opinion,the next step is to host it somewhere else, maybe at
LibreOffice GitHub projects (https://github.com/LibreOffice). When you
have some feedback on this, let me know where the code should be
uploaded to be visible for all the community.
Best regards,
Sidorela from Collective68

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice micro site

Hey Sidorela,

On 27/12/2018 22:43, Sidorela Uku wrote:

> Great to be part of the LO marketing mailing list. This is my first post
> here and I'm happy to update you on the work that Collective68 has been
> doing during this time for WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice site. Please check
> them and feel free to share your thoughts with us, feedback is always
> welcome :)

Thanks very much for sharing this! I was going to follow up with Redon
to check the status of the site, so it's awesome to see that it's in a
good shape already...

> Preview of the site:
> https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice

Looks great! This is something we can really promote, I think. The only
change I'd make is: "What's your area of expertise?" -- IMO we don't
want people to feel put off if they're not experts in something, so how
about:

"What area interests you?"

> /Design for the site:/
>     We had three proposals. Which are uploaded also in our git works:
> https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/our-works/tree/master/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice
>
> Now we have proceed with the first version from those. Feedback from the
> community is welcomed.

The first (existing design) looks good to me. Simple, clear, with big
chunky buttons just begging to be pressed :-)

> Please let me know if you have any other question regarding the site. In
> my opinion,the next step is to host it somewhere else, maybe at
> LibreOffice GitHub projects (https://github.com/LibreOffice). When you
> have some feedback on this, let me know where the code should be
> uploaded to be visible for all the community.

So I believe we have the domain whatcanidoforlibreoffice.org already;
once we've had a bit of feedback from others, we can look at making it
live -- what do you think?

Cheers,
Mike

sophie sophie

Re: WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice micro site

Hi Sidorela, all

First, thanks a lot for your work, I really like the design :)
Le 27/12/2018 à 22:43, Sidorela Uku a écrit :

> Helloall,
>
> Great to be part of the LO marketing mailing list. This is my first post
> here and I'm happy to update you on the work that Collective68 has been
> doing during this time for WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice site. Please check
> them and feel free to share your thoughts with us, feedback is always
> welcome :)
>
> Repository of the code:
> https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice
>
> Preview of the site:
> https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice

On a general remark, I would remove the line above the item, for example
when clicking on 'Tell me more', this line 'So you like helping and
mentoring other people? You could join' is displayed, and for me it's
not needed. It's not present under the Marketing part and I find it clearer.

Under Documentation, the same line shows 'So you like sharing what you
know? You could teach' for Books and Help Content item, again I don't
find it necessary or if you want to keep it, change it to 'You could
write'. And for Documentation I would add 'Video Tutorials' and 'Write
Tutorials'.

On Infrastructure, I would replace 'Learn' by 'Participate' or something
more inclusive than just learning which gives an impression of lurking

On Translation and Localization, I would do a translation part which
concerns documentation, websites, marketing materials, and a
localization part which concerns LibreOffice products or infrastructure.

On Advocacy, there is a typo in 'Give presantations' vs 'Give
presentations'.

> Sitemap with the content of the site is documented here:
> https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice(based
> on the discussion and feedback from LibreOffice marketing mailing list
> and video calls)

I can't access the link (even when removing (based)

> At the moment site is only in English and half Albanian. We have
> documented one wayof doing translations on the site here:
> https://collective68.pages.collective68.tech/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice

Same here, I can't access the translation part

> For the next steps, the idea is to gather feedback based on the preview
> link mentioned above and we agree on this list on which we have quite a
> good progress, we propose to transfer the code on LibreOffice or TDF
> online infrastructure and make it easier for even more people who are
> interested to improve the project even more. After this stage also the
> documentation on how to get involved will be added as well.
>
> /Design for the site:/
>     We had three proposals. Which are uploaded also in our git works:
> https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/our-works/tree/master/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice
>
> Now we have proceed with the first version from those. Feedback from the
> community is welcomed.
> Please let me know if you have any other question regarding the site. In
> my opinion,the next step is to host it somewhere else, maybe at
> LibreOffice GitHub projects (https://github.com/LibreOffice). When you
> have some feedback on this, let me know where the code should be
> uploaded to be visible for all the community.

I have a last question, is the site accessible? I've tried to navigate
through the page, but I'm only able to change the language, not to
navigate through the buttons.

Otherwise, I agree with Mike remark and his proposal.
Again, thanks a lot for your great work!
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Sidorela Uku Sidorela Uku

Re: WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice micro site

Hi Sophie, Mike

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It's really important to get
feedback from the community to improve the site even further.
The site is not finished yet, there are still things to improve from the
texts and design. Considering your comments, the following changes were
made:

From: "What's your area of expertise?"  TO "What area interests you?"

> On a general remark, I would remove the line above the item, for
> example when clicking on 'Tell me more', this line 'So you like
> helping and mentoring other people? You could join' is displayed, and
> for me it's not needed. It's not present under the Marketing part and
> I find it clearer.

@Sophie you mean to remove totally the line  'So you like helping and
mentoring other people? You could join' or replace it with something else?

> Under Documentation, the same line shows 'So you like sharing what you
> know? You could teach' for Books and Help Content item, again I don't
> find it necessary or if you want to keep it, change it to 'You could
> write'. And for Documentation I would add 'Video Tutorials' and 'Write
> Tutorials'.

Added as a note for the updates we are going to do, to add 'Video
Tutorials' and 'Write Tutorials' under Documentation.

> On Infrastructure, I would replace 'Learn' by 'Participate' or
> something more inclusive than just learning which gives an impression
> of lurking

This is done.

> On Translation and Localization, I would do a translation part which
> concerns documentation, websites, marketing materials, and a
> localization part which concerns LibreOffice products or infrastructure.
>
> On Advocacy, there is a typo in 'Give presantations' vs 'Give
> presentations'. Edited.

For the links not working, please check below:
Sitemap:
https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice/wikis/Sitemap-structure
Translations:
https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice/wikis/translations

> I have a last question, is the site accessible? I've tried to navigate
> through the page, but I'm only able to change the language, not to
> navigate through the buttons.

Yes the site is accessible. In the above link for the sitemap, you can
move through the buttons on the tree, and the last step is a link from
an outside resource. Javascript needs to be enabled on the browser also.

On the next steps, some changes to do:
- we need to add 'cookie policy' and maybe also 'privacy policy'
- manage translations. From the link I shared we can translate by
editing the code files. We will have a look maybe to use a translation
platform, to make it easier for community to get involved.
- Improve design and graphics. Replace LO logo and favicon.

Those are some notes weworked with these days.

In terms of next steps, would be nice if we worked back and forth on
this for the next weeks untill January and transfer the code to an
official TDF or LibreOffice owned git repo with the ultimate goal of
going live in February.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Sidorela

On 1/04/19 3:28 PM, Sophie Gautier wrote:

> [...]
> >     We had three proposals. Which are uploaded also in our git works:
> >
> https://git.collective68.tech/Collective68/our-works/tree/master/WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice
> >
> > Now we have proceed with the first version from those. Feedback from the
> > community is welcomed.
> > Please let me know if you have any other question regarding the site. In
> > my opinion,the next step is to host it somewhere else, maybe at
> > LibreOffice GitHub projects (https://github.com/LibreOffice). When you
> > have some feedback on this, let me know where the code should be
> > uploaded to be visible for all the community.
>
> I have a last question, is the site accessible? I've tried to navigate
> through the page, but I'm only able to change the language, not to
> navigate through the buttons.
>
> Otherwise, I agree with Mike remark and his proposal.
> Again, thanks a lot for your great work!

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: WhatCanIDoForLibreOffice micro site

Hi Sidorela, all,

Sidorela Uku wrote on 1/14/19 8:19 PM:

> On the next steps, some changes to do:
> - we need to add 'cookie policy' and maybe also 'privacy policy'
> - manage translations. From the link I shared we can translate by
> editing the code files. We will have a look maybe to use a translation
> platform, to make it easier for community to get involved.
> - Improve design and graphics. Replace LO logo and favicon.
>
> Those are some notes weworked with these days.
>
> In terms of next steps, would be nice if we worked back and forth on
> this for the next weeks untill January and transfer the code to an
> official TDF or LibreOffice owned git repo with the ultimate goal of
> going live in February.
>
> What do you think?

Really nice to see this!
I mostly missed the discussion and work leading to this, so forgive me
if my question is not relevant.
Having played a bit with the choices, I have the idea that people might
need more context or extra pointers with some of the outcomes.
E.g. Marketing > Booth materials just leads to a wiki with a list. A bit
more smart landing place, with intro, pointers and advice how to join,
would make sense, I think.
But maybe this is already planned?

greetings,
Cor