Where is the right place for discussing new features?

Chynte Chynte

Where is the right place for discussing new features?

Hi guys,

as a user of OpenOffice since years, the change to LibreOffice looks
like the chance to go forward with the project as a majority (and not
one company) would like to go.
Since this also includes the danger that to many (not or only in rare
cases useful) things are requested and done I would like to ask, where I
should place and discuss my feature requests.

Thanks so far to go in that direction and good luck for LibreOffice

Chynte

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Where is the right place for discussing new features?

Le 2010-11-06 09:23, Chynte a écrit :

> Hi guys,
>
> as a user of OpenOffice since years, the change to LibreOffice looks
> like the chance to go forward with the project as a majority (and not
> one company) would like to go.
> Since this also includes the danger that to many (not or only in rare
> cases useful) things are requested and done I would like to ask, where I
> should place and discuss my feature requests.
>
> Thanks so far to go in that direction and good luck for LibreOffice
>
> Chynte

Hi Chynte

Depending on the feature, you may decide to post on the mailist that
best suits your feature request for discussion. Here is the link for the
different LibO mailist:

http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/

This list is also great if you would like to offer your feature request
for general discussion. If you do, expect to have a lively discussion if
the feature request if interesting.

Marc

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Where is the right place for discussing new features?

Hi Chynte,

Chynte wrote (06-11-10 14:23)

> as a user of OpenOffice since years, the change to LibreOffice looks
> like the chance to go forward with the project as a majority (and not
> one company) would like to go.

Since developers are either sponsored, or enthusiastich individuals,
they always have their programs and areas of interest.
Therefore the big step forward is the creation of a community where
contributing is easy and fast and where all feel welcome.
If this always leads to developments as 'a majority' (...) would like,
is not sure.
I think this question is strongly related to the discussion about
defining "Membership" within TDF. See
http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/msg01720.html

This (long..) thread is to be continued (based on it there will be a
more specific proposal).

> Since this also includes the danger that to many (not or only in rare
> cases useful) things are requested and done

Indeed there is the danger of discussions not related to issues that are
worked on by developers or planned ..
On the other hand, more general discussions will help to raise awareness
on (new) wishes, ideas etc.

> I would like to ask, where I should place and discuss my feature requests.

As for now, we do not yet have a list where for example usability issues
are discussed. And 'feature requests' will in general fit in that area.
But then (and see the UX archives for OpenOffice.org how that looks
like) there will be a mixture of issues that are (nearly) worked on, and
issues that are just discussions (for the moment).

Besides this, it is possible to step in on the developer list on
specific issues that are worked on. But that is different from a new
feature request, obviously.

> Thanks so far to go in that direction and good luck for LibreOffice

Thanks for your interest and support. Hope to see more from you!

Cor

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Where is the right place for discussing new features?

The LibreOffice Drupal website development team is currently working on the issue of feature requests, brainstorming and idea/proposal management.

If you are not aware, Drupal is a very powerful content management system which will replace the basic pages of libreoffice.org in 3-6 months.  So far we have developed the scope of work to include an idea generation and popularity system, much like Ubuntu Brainstorm, which will manage the smaller suggestions such as small feature requests.

I am in the process of putting together a scope for handling larger proposals or 'blue sky' ideas.  Can I suggest that you have any ideas on the ways we can manage this, or maybe some examples of projects which do this very well could you please post the information back here or on the Drupal Website Development wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal/brainstorm

I don't agree with the view that these larger ideas are irrelevant at the moment. Every open source project requires an inspirational goal to keep people interested, whether achievable or not, such as Ubuntu's bug #1. I hope we will have this system online soon so that people can start suggesting these awe inspiring targets.
Chynte Chynte

  On 07.11.2010 06:19, Wheatbix wrote:

> The LibreOffice Drupal website development team is currently working on the
> issue of feature requests, brainstorming and idea/proposal management.
>
> If you are not aware, Drupal is a very powerful content management system
> which will replace the basic pages of libreoffice.org in 3-6 months.  So far
> we have developed the scope of work to include an idea generation and
> popularity system, much like Ubuntu Brainstorm, which will manage the
> smaller suggestions such as small feature requests.
>
> I am in the process of putting together a scope for handling larger
> proposals or 'blue sky' ideas.  Can I suggest that you have any ideas on the
> ways we can manage this, or maybe some examples of projects which do this
> very well could you please post the information back here or on the Drupal
> Website Development wiki:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal/brainstorm
>
> I don't agree with the view that these larger ideas are irrelevant at the
> moment. Every open source project requires an inspirational goal to keep
> people interested, whether achievable or not, such as Ubuntu's bug #1. I
> hope we will have this system online soon so that people can start
> suggesting these awe inspiring targets.

Thanks to all for your comments.
The Ubuntu Brainstorm tool is a very success- and helpful tool to manage
all kinds of feature requests.
As far as I understand, you will use ideatorrent also in LibreOffice
project? Good idea!

I will wait with my feature requests until there is "LibreOffice
Brainstorm" up and running.

Thanks again

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-09 13:17, Chynte a écrit :

> Thanks to all for your comments.
> The Ubuntu Brainstorm tool is a very success- and helpful tool to manage
> all kinds of feature requests.
> As far as I understand, you will use ideatorrent also in LibreOffice
> project? Good idea!
>
> I will wait with my feature requests until there is "LibreOffice
> Brainstorm" up and running.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Chynte

Thanks for contributing with you ideas. Keep them coming, we are interested.

Marc

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***