Which Font Is Substituted?

John-11 John-11

Which Font Is Substituted?

I have a several chapters of a book that were originally composed
using an earlier version of LibreOffice using what I believe was the
"Century Schoolbook" font.  Now when I call them in for editing, the
font is shown in italics as "Times New Roman" with the note "The
current font is not available and will be substituted".

This is giving me a serious problem since the book contains many
drawings and framed images and these get re-flowed due to the
difference in the absolute height of the font being substituted. In
some cases the drawings are pages away from their correct location and
have to be towed back, which is time consuming and creates some other
problems too.

I checked and the Century Schoolbook font is installed where expected;
in the /usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/ directory.

I have not been able to figure out which font is being used for the
substitution, nor why the correct font cannot be found.

Can anyone help?

Details:
        Linux Fedora 32 - workstation
        LO 6.1.3.2

I am on a back level of Libre Office because we have hundreds of line
drawings in use in the .eps format that is no longer supported by LO
on newer releases.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

John

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

Re: Which Font Is Substituted?

John,

I am using Slackware Linux 14.2 (k4.4.227).

Do you have any font substitutions in LO's Options > LibreOffice > Fonts
 > Replacement table?

Note that "/usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/" is not a standard Xorg
font directory. Xorg probably does not have this directory in its list
of font directories to search. That may be why LO cannot find it. I
found it in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" as ncen*.pcf.gz. It is listed in
the fonts.dir plain text file in that directory. If the font path is not
in the X font directory search list, then X cannot supply it to LO. I
suggest to place it in the correct directory or add the
century-schoolbook directory to X's font directory list. To do that, if
you have an xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf YMMV), look for the
"FontPath" entries and add your path to it.

Another option is to run the font database manager, but I use that so
little, I have forgotten how to do it.

I just checked and discovered my LibreOffice 6.2.8.2 does not have
Century Schoolbook listed either. However, my Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
does have a "Century Schoolbook L" font listed. This implies that even
if the font is in the correct directory, as in my case, LO is omitting
it for some reason. Are you sure there is no entry in your font
replacement table?
So, another option might be to install AOO and see if that works better
for you.

HTH.

Girvin Herr

On 10/10/20 12:34 PM, John wrote:

> I have a several chapters of a book that were originally composed
> using an earlier version of LibreOffice using what I believe was the
> "Century Schoolbook" font.  Now when I call them in for editing, the
> font is shown in italics as "Times New Roman" with the note "The
> current font is not available and will be substituted".
>
> This is giving me a serious problem since the book contains many
> drawings and framed images and these get re-flowed due to the
> difference in the absolute height of the font being substituted. In
> some cases the drawings are pages away from their correct location and
> have to be towed back, which is time consuming and creates some other
> problems too.
>
> I checked and the Century Schoolbook font is installed where expected;
> in the /usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/ directory.
>
> I have not been able to figure out which font is being used for the
> substitution, nor why the correct font cannot be found.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Details:
> Linux Fedora 32 - workstation
> LO 6.1.3.2
>
> I am on a back level of Libre Office because we have hundreds of line
> drawings in use in the .eps format that is no longer supported by LO
> on newer releases.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Regards,
>
> John

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: Which Font Is Substituted?

You can also places fonts in /home/<username>/.fonts. They will be
available only for that user, but it's easier because there's just one
folder so you don't have to sweat whether you put it in the right
place.

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 14:07:18 -0700
Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> dijo:

> [...]
>> drawings and framed images and these get re-flowed due to the
>> difference in the absolute height of the font being substituted. In
>> some cases the drawings are pages away from their correct location
>> and have to be towed back, which is time consuming and creates some
>> other problems too.
>>
>> I checked and the Century Schoolbook font is installed where
>> expected; in the /usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/ directory.
>>
>> I have not been able to figure out which font is being used for the
>> substitution, nor why the correct font cannot be found.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Details:
>> Linux Fedora 32 - workstation
>> LO 6.1.3.2
>>
>> I am on a back level of Libre Office because we have hundreds of line
>> drawings in use in the .eps format that is no longer supported by LO

John-11 John-11

Re: Which Font Is Substituted?

Thanks you for the prompt reply Girvin.

The replacement table is empty at the moment; any font replacements/
substitutions are happening due to defaults.

I did find the X11 font table but Fedora uses Wayland instead of X11
as the display manager so it may not show up in Gnome, and hence to
Libre Office. None of the common fonts seem to be in the fonts.alias
table in the X11/dpi100 font directory.

I didn't know there is a font database; I'll have to look that up and
see if it helps.

I might have to install Apache Open Office but that would be a
significant business risk if I screw up and lose the existing LO
version because of the management of the drawing inserts.

Regards,

John
==============================
On Sat, 2020-10-10 at 14:07 -0700, Girvin Herr wrote:

> [...]
> > some cases the drawings are pages away from their correct location
> > and
> > have to be towed back, which is time consuming and creates some
> > other
> > problems too.
> >
> > I checked and the Century Schoolbook font is installed where
> > expected;
> > in the /usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/ directory.
> >
> > I have not been able to figure out which font is being used for
> > the
> > substitution, nor why the correct font cannot be found.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Details:
> > Linux Fedora 32 - workstation
> > LO 6.1.3.2
> >
> > I am on a back level of Libre Office because we have hundreds of
> > line
> > drawings in use in the .eps format that is no longer supported by

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Which Font Is Substituted?

I also had a similar issue because the name of the font changed with an
upgrade. I.e "Century Schoolbook" to "Century Schoolbook L", although in
my case it wasn't Century Schoolbook.

The first step will be to get the font you need to show in the fonts
list in LibreOffice. A solution here could be to use the system font
installer tool, go to /usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/ directory and
try to install the fonts. The installer will either install the fonts
where the system wants them or tell you they are already installed.

Restart LO and see if the font is in the font list.

A backup for next time: I have a fonts directory in my home folder, I
copy fonts here as a backup when they are installed and it means I cam
always get back to fonts used in old documents even after an OS upgrade,
assuming you back up this fonts directory.

Steve

On 11/10/2020 10:07, Girvin Herr wrote:

> [...]
>> drawings and framed images and these get re-flowed due to the
>> difference in the absolute height of the font being substituted. In
>> some cases the drawings are pages away from their correct location and
>> have to be towed back, which is time consuming and creates some other
>> problems too.
>>
>> I checked and the Century Schoolbook font is installed where expected;
>> in the /usr/share/fonts/century-schoolbook/ directory.
>>
>> I have not been able to figure out which font is being used for the
>> substitution, nor why the correct font cannot be found.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Details:
>>     Linux Fedora 32 - workstation
>>     LO 6.1.3.2
>>
>> I am on a back level of Libre Office because we have hundreds of line
>> drawings in use in the .eps format that is no longer supported by LO

John-11 John-11

Re: Which Font Is Substituted?

Thanks John.

I created that directory and the result is a bit peculiar.  When I
copied over the Century Schoolbook directory it has fonts like
"Century PS Pro" in it and these now appear on the available fonts
list. So I tried that one and it appears to be identical to the
existing text so I think I'll use that.  The size is correct and for
me, the character outlines look the same, or close enough that it
won't be a problem.

That said, I still don't know why the font shows in italics as "Times
New Roman", a font that I do not have installed at all anywhere that I
can find, when I initially load the document.

One of life's little mysteries I guess!

Regards and thanks.

John