Which components do you use most?

Next » 123
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Which components do you use most?

I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate the
different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:

Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
Calc        (10%)
Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
Draw      (What's that?)

Virgil

Dale Rebgetz Dale Rebgetz

Re: Which components do you use most?

Writer - 90%
Draw - 9%
Calc - 1%
Base - once
Impress - never

Dale.

On 12/05/2014 7:53 am, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate
> the different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:
>
> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> Calc        (10%)
> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> Draw      (What's that?)
>
> Virgil

--------
Email from setec.com.au does not necessarily represent the official
policy of SETEC Pty Ltd.
See http://www.setec.com.au/emaildisclaimer20060629.html for details.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 05/11/2014 05:53 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate
> the different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:
>
> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> Calc        (10%)
> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> Draw      (What's that?)
>
> Virgil
My usage is:
Calc     85%
Writer   10%
Impress  a few times a year, mostly to view slide shows
Base     5% mostly for testing purposes
Draw     very rarely

Most of my Calc use is generating spreadsheet reports for others. I
typically use text manipulation functions

My Writer use is for writing/editing short documents and reports.

Impress is used to view slide shows, I almost never make a show.

Base is occasionally used to work with a MySQL/MariaDB backend. I
usually use MySQL Workbench or HeidiSQL via Wine to work with MySQL/MariaDB.

Draw is used maybe once a year.

 From what I have seen of alternative commercial office suites I suspect
the usage is concentrated on Writer, Calc, and Impress. Base and Draw
are not used by most but those who do use either probably use them a lot.

--
Jay Lozier

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Which components do you use most?

       an interesting survey -
           as for me:

Writer  - prefer this to any other text program; use to write, ...
Calc - don't use since still do manually  ;-)
Impress - use to use for presentations, then would convert to video; now
skip that 1st step
Base - don't use since still do manually - (well, old-fashioned with good,
artistic hand-writing)
Draw - have not gotten the hang of drawing with these machines; they just
don't look as appealing as done by hand  ;-)

Bruce Carlson-2 Bruce Carlson-2

RE: Which components do you use most?

HI Anne,

Yes a very interesting question:-

Me:-
        Writer and Calc extensively all the time even on my Samsung tablet (running under Ubuntu but that's another story) 33% each
        Draw I use at least once a day. (I like it  --- it is a very good easy to use application) 22%
        Impress I use often. (I find it better than MS PowerPoint.  Impress has less bugs and is easier to use.) 11%
        Base I use rarely. 1%

 I have this idea that when (if) I retire I will dedicate much of my time to helping make base a useable application but at the moment it just does not fulfil any requirements but that does not mean that I think it should be suspended because I do think that it has the prospect of being something excellent but needs much more development and that takes time and developers.

I find that LO does not handle Visio files very well either yet.

This makes Access and Visio the only two MSO applications I still use. (Oh! And outlook which the company I work for insists on everyone using).

Bruce Carlson
Applications Development Manager

les les

On Sun, 2014-05-11 at 17:53 -0400, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate the
> different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:
>
> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> Calc        (10%)
> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> Draw      (What's that?)
>
> Virgil

Writer 10%
Calc 30% (but decreasing as I become more familiar with gnuplot_
Impress 10% (not just for presentations, but as a tool for creating
graphics to send to customers)
Base 0%
Draw 0%

Give me a link to a more powerful tool for graphing tool, please.
Gnuplot is OK, but I deal with millions and millions of samples, and I
find generating plots or graphs with zoom and very slow and time
consuming.  I think gnuplot uses TK, which is not quick, and maybe
python in the back end.  Something native would be nice, but with the
ability to choose samples, rows and columns like gnuplot.

Big data is the field, isn't it.

Regards,
Les H

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Which components do you use most?

Writer 90%
Calc- a few times a year
Base- daily
Impress- almost never
Draw- just discovering how simple it is to layout info on a page

Keith

--
God bless you

Keith Bates
4 Mooloobar St
Narrabri

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life

som som

som som

Re: Which components do you use most?

> On , som <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  On Monday, 12 May 2014 3:25 AM, Virgil Arrington
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  > I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
>
>>  people on this list.
>
>>  Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
>>  Calc        (10%)
>>  Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
>>  Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
>>  Draw      (What's that?)

hi virgil,

its a very interesting topic.

for me,

writer: 80-85%
calc: not much (most of the analysis done on PSPP/R)
impress: 15-20%
base: none (could not understand)
draw: once/twice a year (mainly for poster presentation in conferences)

regards,

som

Ian Leyton Ian Leyton

Re: Which components do you use most?

For me:

Calc 90% of my LO use
Writer 8%
Base >1 have never had a use that really needs it.
Draw even less than base

Ian

On 12/05/2014, at 1:31 PM, som <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On , som <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> people on this list.
>>
>>> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
>>> Calc        (10%)
>>> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
>>> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
>>> Draw      (What's that?)
>
> hi virgil,
>
> its a very interesting topic.
>
> for me,
>
> writer: 80-85%
> calc: not much (most of the analysis done on PSPP/R)
> impress: 15-20%
> base: none (could not understand)
> draw: once/twice a year (mainly for poster presentation in conferences)
>
> regards,
>
> som

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: Which components do you use most?

I know this does not add up to 100%, but then - most of the time I use a
combination of parts of LO together. So...
Writer     most of the time
Calc       15 to 20%
Impress    3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year
Base       most of the time (I use it to interface to a MySQL-DB which is
            the base for the administration of a 50-piece band (music,
            performances, sponsors, uniforms, etc., etc.)
Draw       hardly used at all...
Regards
Heinrich

david_lynch david_lynch

On 11/05/2014 22:53, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate
> the different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:
Writer: 4%
Calc: 95% mainly for text manipulation (it's fast enough to be usable
with the complex spreadsheets I use, but only just)
Draw: 1%

David Lynch

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

Re: Which components do you use most?

Writer: 30%
Calc: 60%
Impress: 4%
Base: 5%
Draw: <1%

Cheers
Harvey

On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 11:31 +0800, som wrote:

> > On , som <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> >>  On Monday, 12 May 2014 3:25 AM, Virgil Arrington
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>  > I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> >
> >>  people on this list.
> >
> >>  Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> >>  Calc        (10%)
> >>  Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> >>  Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> >>  Draw      (What's that?)
>
> hi virgil,
>
> its a very interesting topic.
>
> for me,
>
> writer: 80-85%
> calc: not much (most of the analysis done on PSPP/R)
> impress: 15-20%
> base: none (could not understand)
> draw: once/twice a year (mainly for poster presentation in conferences)
>
> regards,
>
> som

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Which components do you use most?

Calc: By far the component I use the most. I use this regularly.
      Mostly small stuff, household finance spreadsheets, usage stats,
      bank statements, that sort of thing.

Writer: The second most used, although I seldom use this.

Impress: I have used this on a couple of occasions.

Base: I've only ever opened it for a quick look around.
      Being a programmer, I prefer to write my own. It may be past
      prejudice from the likes of Access, but I just can't feel
      comfortable using something like Base for anything; if the
      requirement is small, Base would be too much overhead, and if the
      requirement is large, then a custom application on top of a
      proper database would be a far better solution, more robust, more
      secure, more customised...

Draw: I've only ever opened it for a quick look around.
      I use other, custom drawing software when I need to edit stuff,
      like the Gimp, or Inkscape. Again, probably more just my personal
      prejudices, but I just don't view an office suit as a graphics
      package.

Paul

On Sun, 11 May 2014 17:53:46 -0400

Jay Ridgley Jay Ridgley

On 05/11/2014 04:53 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the people on
> this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of experience. It
> might also help us in learning new ways to integrate the different components.
> For myself, my approximate usage is:
>
> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> Calc        (10%)
> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> Draw      (What's that?)
>
> Virgil

Good Morning Folks,

My usage is:

Calc: 90+%
Write: 7+%
Impress; <1%
Base: <1%
Draw: 2%

I use LO on 3 systems and like it very much. I also advocate replacing M$ Office
as often as I can!

Cheers,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley
[hidden email]

Tom Williams Tom Williams

On 05/11/2014 02:53 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate
> the different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:
>
> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> Calc        (10%)
> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> Draw      (What's that?)
>
> Virgil

I use Calc more than Writer but I rarely use Impress and have never used
Draw or Base.

So,  it's between Calc and Writer for me.  :)   I use Calc daily (to
update blood pressure monitoring spreadsheet, mostly) and Writer
occasionally.

Peace...

Tom

--
/When we dance, you have a way with me,
Stay with me... Sway with me.../

TomD TomD

Re: Which components do you use most?

Hi :)
I should use Draw more.  It's the better tool for the job for the company
newsletter but i just feel more comfortable in Writer.  So,

Writer = 80%
Calc  =   5% (and mostly only to check my answers to mailing list)
Draw = 10%  (mostly use Inkscape and Gimp tbh but Draw trumps them for
floor plans etc)
Base =   2%  (again, "use" might not be an accurate term)
Math =   2%
Impress= 1%

On 12 May 2014 15:24, Tom Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/11/2014 02:53 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> > I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> > people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> > experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate
> > the different components. For myself, my approximate usage is:
> >
> > Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
> > Calc        (10%)
> > Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
> > Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
> > Draw      (What's that?)
> >
> > Virgil
> >

> I use Calc more than Writer but I rarely use Impress and have never used
> Draw or Base.
>
> So,  it's between Calc and Writer for me.  :)   I use Calc daily (to
> update blood pressure monitoring spreadsheet, mostly) and Writer
> occasionally.
>
> Peace...
>
> Tom
>
> --
> /When we dance, you have a way with me,
> Stay with me... Sway with me.../

yahoo-pier_andreit yahoo-pier_andreit

Re: Which components do you use most?

calc 80%
writer10%
presentation 8%
the rest 2%

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Le 11/05/2014 23:53, Virgil Arrington a écrit :
> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
> people on this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
> experience. It might also help us in learning new ways to integrate the
> different components.

Writer:  75%
Calc:    40%
Draw:    15%
Impress: 10%
Base:    10%
Math:     0%

That's more than 100%? Probably because I'm working more than that as
well ;-)

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl

Re: Which components do you use most?

Personal use:
50% Writer
50% Calc
(Impress perhaps twice a year).

But as a translator I am walking through the other components one after
another. I like to know what I am translating. At the moment I am
working partly on Impress partly on Base.
Kolbjoern

Den 12.05.2014 15:12, skreiv Jay Ridgley:

> On 05/11/2014 04:53 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> I'm curious to find out what components of LO are used most by the
>> people on
>> this list. I think it helps to know different folks' area of
>> experience. It
>> might also help us in learning new ways to integrate the different
>> components.
>> For myself, my approximate usage is:
>>
>> Writer     (85% of my use of LO)
>> Calc        (10%)
>> Impress  (3%, Maybe four to five presentations a year)
>> Base       (once a year to print out labels for my Christmas cards)
>> Draw      (What's that?)
>>
>> Virgil

Next » 123