Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Kurt Jaeger Kurt Jaeger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

Hi!

Our printer in the office is ending its life in colorful printouts,
and we need a replacement. Current printer is a Brother MFC-9465CDN.
It printed approx. 50K pages during approx. 5 years. It has
duplex support, but it had its issues.

We print using lpr, mostly postscript.

Therefore I ask the community for feedback:

Which printer works best in a mostly-libreoffice enviroment ?

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                         2 years to go !

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

Le 01/03/2018 à 13:58, Kurt Jaeger a écrit :

Hi,

I suppose it is horses for courses, as they say.

At work, I have a networked Kyocera FS-C5150DN, it is slow by modern
standards but trusty.

I also have a networked HP MFP X576dw - lightning fast, colour OK,
although colour calibration is not quite what appears on screen (typical
HP). It can scan to virtually anything in the office over the network,
takes USB keys, etc, and handles wireless and phone app printing (even
printing over the internet if that is your thing)

Both can do duplex.


I have been rather surprised at the excellent print speed of the HP
though, so much so that I bought a second (slightly different model) for
my home office.

Alex


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
James Knott James Knott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

What is the best car?  The answer to your question depends entirely on
your needs and situation.

On 03/01/2018 08:45 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 01/03/2018 à 13:58, Kurt Jaeger a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I suppose it is horses for courses, as they say.
>
> At work, I have a networked Kyocera FS-C5150DN, it is slow by modern
> standards but trusty.
>
> I also have a networked HP MFP X576dw - lightning fast, colour OK,
> although colour calibration is not quite what appears on screen (typical
> HP). It can scan to virtually anything in the office over the network,
> takes USB keys, etc, and handles wireless and phone app printing (even
> printing over the internet if that is your thing)
>
> Both can do duplex.
>
>
> I have been rather surprised at the excellent print speed of the HP
> though, so much so that I bought a second (slightly different model) for
> my home office.
>
> Alex
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kurt Jaeger Kurt Jaeger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

Hello,

Alexander wrote:
> What is the best car?  The answer to your question depends entirely on
> your needs and situation.

Our old printer had issues with printing certain duplex documents
and after 50K pages was no longer in good shape.

So if someone has experience, saying "don't use xyz", or
"this one works for us", that would be useful.

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                         2 years to go !

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

In reply to this post by Alex Thurgood

I have has good luck with an HP laser printer, and even a HP colored
Laser [till it died].

Now my laserjet 2300's duplex system is now working well, but it was
used when I bought it.  For inkjet printers, I prefer ink-tank versions.
I have had good luck with Canon inkjet printers.  Since I use Ubuntu
Linux, I first look for ones that support Linux, which requires me to
look to the UK site where Canon seems to support Linux, while not
supporting it in the USA.

Now, if you are needing a large monthly printing life, and the
scanner/copier/fax included, I have seen a lot of good HP printer
systems.  It seems that every office I go to has a HP business printer
with 2-5 paper trays.

SO, I would thing HP for b&w laser printing and look into the business
inkjet printers [up to $1000] that has been designed for 10,000 + pages
a month.



On 03/01/2018 08:45 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 01/03/2018 à 13:58, Kurt Jaeger a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I suppose it is horses for courses, as they say.
>
> At work, I have a networked Kyocera FS-C5150DN, it is slow by modern
> standards but trusty.
>
> I also have a networked HP MFP X576dw - lightning fast, colour OK,
> although colour calibration is not quite what appears on screen (typical
> HP). It can scan to virtually anything in the office over the network,
> takes USB keys, etc, and handles wireless and phone app printing (even
> printing over the internet if that is your thing)
>
> Both can do duplex.
>
>
> I have been rather surprised at the excellent print speed of the HP
> though, so much so that I bought a second (slightly different model) for
> my home office.
>
> Alex
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

In reply to this post by Kurt Jaeger
I have an HP photosmart premium ink jet networked that prints and scans
well, uses the HPLIP software. Don't know about the postscript support.
In the office we have a networked Brother HL3170CDW that is colour laser
printer only. Prints well including postscript files. Brother also seem
to have good driver support. CUPS, LPR/LPRng on Linux.
Steve

On 02/03/18 01:58, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Our printer in the office is ending its life in colorful printouts,
> and we need a replacement. Current printer is a Brother MFC-9465CDN.
> It printed approx. 50K pages during approx. 5 years. It has
> duplex support, but it had its issues.
>
> We print using lpr, mostly postscript.
>
> Therefore I ask the community for feedback:
>
> Which printer works best in a mostly-libreoffice enviroment ?
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?


Actually, I tend to look for third party ink sources, to help with my
smaller fixed income.

I know that I sometimes choose Postscript Level 3 instead of the default
PDF option, when it is shown as an option.

Right now, I do much more color work, so my only laser printer is slowly
using the toner.  I have had a replacement toner on the for several
years now. I think I have about 500-600 pages to go before I need to
change out the empty one.

I love the HPLIP system.  That system is the best driver system over any
other printer brand I have used.  For Canon, I have to find drivers in
UK or other English countries since Canon USA does not support Linux -
officially from their support people.  That was before the Canon TS like
of printers. I bought a TS-9020 printer and it had basic support for
Linux.  The scanner package is very limited compared to the MG6200
line's scanner package.  At least Canon is starting to believe that the
US market also has Linux users that want to use Canon printers.

As for CUPS, I have CUPS-pdf driver/printing service installed as one of
my printers.  There seems to references to a newer PDF creating package,
but have not found it.

So, here is my list of network printers:

Canon TS9020 inkjet all-in-one [wired and wireless]
HP Laserjet 2300dn - postscript driver used
HP Officejet 7000-E809a  - hpcups used

I had others, but they died from use.  The color laser's image "belt"
somehow got "scratched" during a toner install or a paper flow issue. So
the middle of the printout had major issues. It would cost less to get
another color laser than it would to repair it.  So I chose not to
replace it.


On 03/01/2018 03:35 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> I have an HP photosmart premium ink jet networked that prints and
> scans well, uses the HPLIP software. Don't know about the postscript
> support.
> In the office we have a networked Brother HL3170CDW that is colour
> laser printer only. Prints well including postscript files. Brother
> also seem to have good driver support. CUPS, LPR/LPRng on Linux.
> Steve
>
> On 02/03/18 01:58, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Our printer in the office is ending its life in colorful printouts,
>> and we need a replacement. Current printer is a Brother MFC-9465CDN.
>> It printed approx. 50K pages during approx. 5 years. It has
>> duplex support, but it had its issues.
>>
>> We print using lpr, mostly postscript.
>>
>> Therefore I ask the community for feedback:
>>
>> Which printer works best in a mostly-libreoffice enviroment ?
>>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
robert leleu robert leleu
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?

If you do want low cost printing, investigate CISS (continuous ink
system). You can find printers equipped, and avid to install youself,
which is somehow tricky

Je la 01/03/2018 23:31, Tim-L skribis :

>
> Actually, I tend to look for third party ink sources, to help with my
> smaller fixed income.
>
> I know that I sometimes choose Postscript Level 3 instead of the
> default PDF option, when it is shown as an option.
>
> Right now, I do much more color work, so my only laser printer is
> slowly using the toner.  I have had a replacement toner on the for
> several years now. I think I have about 500-600 pages to go before I
> need to change out the empty one.
>
> I love the HPLIP system.  That system is the best driver system over
> any other printer brand I have used.  For Canon, I have to find
> drivers in UK or other English countries since Canon USA does not
> support Linux - officially from their support people.  That was before
> the Canon TS like of printers. I bought a TS-9020 printer and it had
> basic support for Linux.  The scanner package is very limited compared
> to the MG6200 line's scanner package.  At least Canon is starting to
> believe that the US market also has Linux users that want to use Canon
> printers.
>
> As for CUPS, I have CUPS-pdf driver/printing service installed as one
> of my printers.  There seems to references to a newer PDF creating
> package, but have not found it.
>
> So, here is my list of network printers:
>
> Canon TS9020 inkjet all-in-one [wired and wireless]
> HP Laserjet 2300dn - postscript driver used
> HP Officejet 7000-E809a  - hpcups used
>
> I had others, but they died from use.  The color laser's image "belt"
> somehow got "scratched" during a toner install or a paper flow issue.
> So the middle of the printout had major issues. It would cost less to
> get another color laser than it would to repair it.  So I chose not to
> replace it.
>
>
> On 03/01/2018 03:35 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>> I have an HP photosmart premium ink jet networked that prints and
>> scans well, uses the HPLIP software. Don't know about the postscript
>> support.
>> In the office we have a networked Brother HL3170CDW that is colour
>> laser printer only. Prints well including postscript files. Brother
>> also seem to have good driver support. CUPS, LPR/LPRng on Linux.
>> Steve
>>
>> On 02/03/18 01:58, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Our printer in the office is ending its life in colorful printouts,
>>> and we need a replacement. Current printer is a Brother MFC-9465CDN.
>>> It printed approx. 50K pages during approx. 5 years. It has
>>> duplex support, but it had its issues.
>>>
>>> We print using lpr, mostly postscript.
>>>
>>> Therefore I ask the community for feedback:
>>>
>>> Which printer works best in a mostly-libreoffice enviroment ?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which printer for best libreoffice integration ?


CISS - I assume that is the ink tank design that you fill the "tanks"
from ink bottles. Some are internal while others are external with a ink
"tubes" coming out of the printer.

I have seen some home office printers that include built in tanks where
you add the ink from a bottle. Epson has an "ET" line that include ink
bottles worth that is about 33 ink cartridges for each color.  Canon has
a "G" line with their "mega tanks".  The ink bottles seems to be much
less than their ink cartridges for the Canon printers I have bought.  HP
has their own family of this type of printers.

When I bought my last Canon printer, I did not see any CISS printers. 
Actually, there seems to have them on sale.  The only proble seem to be
there is no Linux support in any English language country's sites.



On 03/02/2018 06:45 AM, leleu wrote:

> If you do want low cost printing, investigate CISS (continuous ink
> system). You can find printers equipped, and avid to install youself,
> which is somehow tricky
>
> Je la 01/03/2018 23:31, Tim-L skribis :
>>
>> Actually, I tend to look for third party ink sources, to help with my
>> smaller fixed income.
>>
>> I know that I sometimes choose Postscript Level 3 instead of the
>> default PDF option, when it is shown as an option.
>>
>> Right now, I do much more color work, so my only laser printer is
>> slowly using the toner.  I have had a replacement toner on the for
>> several years now. I think I have about 500-600 pages to go before I
>> need to change out the empty one.
>>
>> I love the HPLIP system.  That system is the best driver system over
>> any other printer brand I have used.  For Canon, I have to find
>> drivers in UK or other English countries since Canon USA does not
>> support Linux - officially from their support people. That was before
>> the Canon TS like of printers. I bought a TS-9020 printer and it had
>> basic support for Linux.  The scanner package is very limited
>> compared to the MG6200 line's scanner package.  At least Canon is
>> starting to believe that the US market also has Linux users that want
>> to use Canon printers.
>>
>> As for CUPS, I have CUPS-pdf driver/printing service installed as one
>> of my printers.  There seems to references to a newer PDF creating
>> package, but have not found it.
>>
>> So, here is my list of network printers:
>>
>> Canon TS9020 inkjet all-in-one [wired and wireless]
>> HP Laserjet 2300dn - postscript driver used
>> HP Officejet 7000-E809a  - hpcups used
>>
>> I had others, but they died from use.  The color laser's image "belt"
>> somehow got "scratched" during a toner install or a paper flow issue.
>> So the middle of the printout had major issues. It would cost less to
>> get another color laser than it would to repair it.  So I chose not
>> to replace it.
>>
>>
>> On 03/01/2018 03:35 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>>> I have an HP photosmart premium ink jet networked that prints and
>>> scans well, uses the HPLIP software. Don't know about the postscript
>>> support.
>>> In the office we have a networked Brother HL3170CDW that is colour
>>> laser printer only. Prints well including postscript files. Brother
>>> also seem to have good driver support. CUPS, LPR/LPRng on Linux.
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> On 02/03/18 01:58, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>>>> Hi!
>>>>
>>>> Our printer in the office is ending its life in colorful printouts,
>>>> and we need a replacement. Current printer is a Brother MFC-9465CDN.
>>>> It printed approx. 50K pages during approx. 5 years. It has
>>>> duplex support, but it had its issues.
>>>>
>>>> We print using lpr, mostly postscript.
>>>>
>>>> Therefore I ask the community for feedback:
>>>>
>>>> Which printer works best in a mostly-libreoffice enviroment ?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted