Wiki, who you are, national marketing

marcpare4 marcpare4

Wiki, who you are, national marketing

  If we ever get a wiki going for the marketing group, which I believe
is in the "to do" list, we should each present ourselves see how many
countries are represented. Ideally, I would think that we should try to
get at least one rep. for each localization being done for the "l10n" group.

Would it be a good idea to sign off on emails with your country? Like
below? This would help in explaining the marketing views that you may
have in discussion threads.

Marc
Canada

italovignoli italovignoli

Re: Wiki, who you are, national marketing

Marc Paré wrote:

> Would it be a good idea to sign off on emails with your country? Like
> below? This would help in explaining the marketing views that you may
> have in discussion threads.

Yes, this could be a nice way to recognize ourselves and the specific
problems we represent. Software has to deal with languages because of
the localization, but marketing has to deal with countries because of
governments and economies. Let's say that the OOo project was a
collection of marketing horrors by Sun that Oracle is pushing forward in
a shameless way. Of course, there are country specific languages, like
Italian, where the distinction between language and market don't matter,
and languages like english and spanish which are spoken in completely
different economies. In this case I am definitely for some country
specific distinction, which definitely make sense. At first, though,
it's better to shape the group, and then look at country specificities.

--
Italo Vignoli
Mobile: +39.348.5653829 - VoIP: +39.02.320621813

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
drewjensen drewjensen

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 23:06 +0200, Italo Vignoli wrote:

> Marc Paré wrote:
>
> > Would it be a good idea to sign off on emails with your country? Like
> > below? This would help in explaining the marketing views that you may
> > have in discussion threads.
>
> Yes, this could be a nice way to recognize ourselves and the specific
> problems we represent. Software has to deal with languages because of
> the localization, but marketing has to deal with countries because of
> governments and economies. Let's say that the OOo project was a
> collection of marketing horrors by Sun that Oracle is pushing forward in
> a shameless way. Of course, there are country specific languages, like
> Italian, where the distinction between language and market don't matter,
> and languages like english and spanish which are spoken in completely
> different economies. In this case I am definitely for some country
> specific distinction, which definitely make sense. At first, though,
> it's better to shape the group, and then look at country specificities.
>
> --
Hello Italo

Just a quick comment - not restricted to marketing per se, or even
country specific.

OO.o as an organization was constructed in such a way that everything
focused on the single entity. Very much similar to a corporate
structure. This is not the only way to construct an organization
however.

There are models that are much more based on confederation.

I haven't seen anything yet on the structures that are being talked
about for the document foundation - and I realize it is early, so don't
take that as meaning that I think I should of at this point.

But I am interested if anyone is looking at this other type of approach.

Thanks

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Eric ? Eric ?

Re: Wiki, who you are, national marketing

I am also in.

But keep focust on the i think main goal.
Keep it Free, and workable for everybody.

Thats the power of OOo lets make this one better
Eric Redegeld AKA compie
Holland

,

--
bezoek ook mijn ICT site

http://compie.nl.nu
of
http://www.linkedin.com/in/compie
http://www.facebook.com/people/Eric-Redegeld/1675196392?ref=search
http://twitter.com/compie67
http://www.google.com/profiles/compie67#about

marcpare4 marcpare4

  Le 2010-10-07 17:06, Italo Vignoli a écrit :

> Marc Paré wrote:
>
>> Would it be a good idea to sign off on emails with your country? Like
>> below? This would help in explaining the marketing views that you may
>> have in discussion threads.
> Yes, this could be a nice way to recognize ourselves and the specific
> problems we represent. Software has to deal with languages because of
> the localization, but marketing has to deal with countries because of
> governments and economies. Let's say that the OOo project was a
> collection of marketing horrors by Sun that Oracle is pushing forward in
> a shameless way. Of course, there are country specific languages, like
> Italian, where the distinction between language and market don't matter,
> and languages like english and spanish which are spoken in completely
> different economies. In this case I am definitely for some country
> specific distinction, which definitely make sense. At first, though,
> it's better to shape the group, and then look at country specificities.
Thanks for the note. Do you have numbers as to how many people are in
the marketing mailist so far?

Marc

Sadiq Saif Sadiq Saif

Re: Wiki, who you are, national marketing

Hi,

I am a high school student here in Toronto, Canada. I believe office suites
are very important for students. ;)
I am willing to help in anyway possible.

Sadiq S
mailto: [hidden email]
Blog: www.staticsafe.me
Twitter - www.twitter.com/staticsafe
Facebook- www.facebook.com/static.safe

Drew Jensen wrote:

> But I am interested if anyone is looking at this other type of approach.

Let's do whatever it works, but let's focus on users according to the
market they live and not to the language they speak, otherwise is going
to be a very unefficient mess like in the past.

Marc Paré wrote:

> Thanks for the note. Do you have numbers as to how many people are in
> the marketing mailist so far?

Let's wait at least one full week to get the first figures about the
number of subscribers. One day is definitely not enough... non even a trend.

marcpare4 marcpare4

  Le 2010-10-07 17:28, Sadiq Saif a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am a high school student here in Toronto, Canada. I believe office suites
> are very important for students. ;)
> I am willing to help in anyway possible.
>
> Sadiq S
> mailto: [hidden email]
> Blog: www.staticsafe.me
> Twitter - www.twitter.com/staticsafe
> Facebook- www.facebook.com/static.safe

Welcome to the marketing mailist Sadiq. It will be nice to get a high
school student perspective here.

BTW. Try to keep to bottom posting when answering. We like to see the
discussion thread and answers on the bottom. It is a little more efficient.

BTW 2. I am in Waterloo Canada not far away from Toronto and a school
teacher.

Cheers

Marc

Sadiq Saif Sadiq Saif

Re: Wiki, who you are, national marketing

Thanks for the welcome.

Also, marketing wise, once the project is more mature, will we be having
promotional materials like stickers, CDs, T-shirts?
Stickers and T-shirts are the most effective I believe.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Le 2010-10-07 17:28, Sadiq Saif a écrit :
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I am a high school student here in Toronto, Canada. I believe office
>> suites
>> are very important for students. ;)
>> I am willing to help in anyway possible.
>>
>> Sadiq S
>> mailto: [hidden email]
>> Blog: www.staticsafe.me
>> Twitter - www.twitter.com/staticsafe
>> Facebook- www.facebook.com/static.safe
>>
>>  Welcome to the marketing mailist Sadiq. It will be nice to get a high
> school student perspective here.
>
> BTW. Try to keep to bottom posting when answering. We like to see the
> discussion thread and answers on the bottom. It is a little more efficien
t.

> BTW 2. I am in Waterloo Canada not far away from Toronto and a school
> teacher.
>
> Cheers
>

> Marc

/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot b
> deleted.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Wiki, who you are, national marketing

Hi Marc (Canada) *g*

Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 16:35 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
> If we ever get a wiki going for the marketing group, which I believe
> is in the "to do" list

It is on the "to do" list and we discussed in the last days - people
stated a requirement that results in "single language wiki now" or
"multi language wiki a bit later". Still open, unfortunately.

And again thank to alle the people who are capable of handling such
mailing list stuff very well, provide summaries and are just nice. Thus,
bridging the gap until the infrastructure is available and works well
right from the start :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

marcpare4 marcpare4

  Le 2010-10-08 17:06, Christoph Noack a écrit :

> Hi Marc (Canada) *g*
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 16:35 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
>> If we ever get a wiki going for the marketing group, which I believe
>> is in the "to do" list
> It is on the "to do" list and we discussed in the last days - people
> stated a requirement that results in "single language wiki now" or
> "multi language wiki a bit later". Still open, unfortunately.
>
> And again thank to alle the people who are capable of handling such
> mailing list stuff very well, provide summaries and are just nice. Thus,
> bridging the gap until the infrastructure is available and works well
> right from the start :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Thanks for the help and answer Christoph.

Marc