[Win 5.1.6.2] Writer fails reading Win1252-encoded HTML document

Gilles Gilles

[Win 5.1.6.2] Writer fails reading Win1252-encoded HTML document

Hello

I wrote an HTML document using an older release of Nano WebEditor. I guess it saves data as Win1252 instead of UTF8.

When opening the file in LibreOffice, all the accents are messed up:

https://s29.postimg.org/iicxnws1z/Libre_Office_Writer_How_to_convert_from_Win1252_t.jpg

Any idea what I could try when opening the file, or afterwards?

Thank you.
libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: [Win 5.1.6.2] Writer fails reading Win1252-encoded HTML document

Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wrote an HTML document using an older release of Nano WebEditor. I guess
> it saves data as Win1252 instead of UTF8.
>
> When opening the file in LibreOffice, all the accents are messed up:
>
> https://s29.postimg.org/iicxnws1z/Libre_Office_Writer_How_to_convert_from_Win1252_t.jpg
>
> Any idea what I could try when opening the file, or afterwards?

You need a tag in the HTML code declaring the character set used,
otherwise LibreOffice seems to assume UTF-8. I don't know if Namo
WebEditor provides a dialog or other GUI to add the necessary tag, but
you need something like the following within the <head> section (ideally
near the top*):

If there's already a similar line, perhaps with the charset part missing
or incorrect, edit that line.

LibreOffice doesn't seem to recognise the HTML5 <meta charset="...">
style, so if you're currently saving the page as HTML5 it might be worth
trying HTML4 and Namo might add the appropriate tag for you.

Hopefully that helps.

--
Mark.