Windows for SUSE?

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Windows for SUSE?

Pedro Pedro

Re: Windows for SUSE?

Steven Shelton wrote
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious now . . . what is "Windows from SUSE"?
"LibreOffice for Windows" from SUSE not "Windows from SUSE" :)

It seems to be a Windows only version optimized for Intel CPUs and for running in Ultrabooks (Intel doesn't really explain that part :) )

Some more info from Intel
http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4664

HTH,
Pedro
Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: Windows for SUSE?

Tom Tom

Re: Windows for SUSE?

Hi :)

I thought the best news was
"Intel is also becoming a member of TDF Advisory Board, a body that provides advice and funding for the LibreOffice project."
So they are going to work alongside Google which is all quite interesting.  I wonder if IBM could be tempted to join too!

The news about a version of LibreOffice being tweaked/compiled to run better on Intel chips in machine running Windows is kinda secondary imo.  Good to hear about though even though it is a tad confusing to hear that SUSE are working on stuff for Windows.  Not that it's bad.  It's just unexpected.

Re: Windows for SUSE?

Steven Shelton wrote:
> Just saw this headline:
>
> "The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice for Windows from SUSE is
> now available in Intel AppUp(SM) Center"
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious now . . . what is "Windows from SUSE"?

openSUSE is a Linux distro that includes LibreOffice.  I guess they've
just created a Windows version of it.  I see there's a 64 bit version
available through them.  IIRC, the regular LO site is 32 bits only.

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Windows for SUSE?

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 12:58 -0500, James Knott wrote:

> Steven Shelton wrote:
> > Just saw this headline:
> >
> > "The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice for Windows from SUSE is
> > now available in Intel AppUp(SM) Center"
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious now . . . what is "Windows from SUSE"?
>
> openSUSE is a Linux distro that includes LibreOffice.  I guess they've
> just created a Windows version of it.  I see there's a 64 bit version
> available through them.  IIRC, the regular LO site is 32 bits only.

I believe that is a case of the site, rightfully, stating which MS
Windows versions the application will run on. The 32bit version of
LibreOffice does and always has run on the 64bit OS.

I do not believe that a native 64bit LibreOffice is being offered, yet.

//drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
James E. Lang-2 James E. Lang-2

Re: Windows for SUSE?

--On Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:42 -0500 Steven Shelton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/23/2012 9:36 AM, Pedro wrote:
>> "LibreOffice for Windows" from SUSE not "Windows from SUSE" :)
>>
>> It seems to be a Windows only version optimized for Intel CPUs and for
>
> Okay. For a minute, I thought I had missed something big there. LibO is
> already available for Windows, and I was pretty sure the SUSE project
> would concentrate on doing software for linux, not Windows, so that led
> me to believe maybe there was a product called "Windows from SUSE" (like
> maybe a version of SUSE designed as an entry-level cross-over for
> Windows users or something). Apparently, my second assumption--that the
> SUSE project was pretty much just doing work on linux software--was
> off-base.

Doesn't the SUSE project add VBA support to the macro capabilities of OOo and
LO to ease the transition from MS Office to the open source alternatives? That
would not be a Linux only feature.

I _have_ seen differences in the handling of the macro capabilities between the
Windows version of LO and the Linux version. (e.g. Macro Recorder appears to
not be implented in the Windows version.)

--
Jim

Pedro Pedro

Re: Windows for SUSE?

James E. Lang-2 wrote
I _have_ seen differences in the handling of the macro capabilities between the
Windows version of LO and the Linux version. (e.g. Macro Recorder appears to
not be implemented in the Windows version.)
This is a little off-topic, but you are mistaken ;) Simply the Macro Recorder is disabled by default in the Windows version. To enable it you need to go to Tools, Options, LibreOffice, General, Enable experimental (unstable) features

--
Pedro