Word counting in LO Writer

Krunose Krunose

Word counting in LO Writer

Hi,

is it ok for LO to find five words in 'This is < a word.' as

https://www.countofwords.com/

finds only four. Don't know how that reflects on this like 'This is 4
words' and not sur so on. It's hard to anticipate every possible variant
- is that the reason?

Is there more information about this?

Thanks,

Kruno

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Word counting in LO Writer

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 20:57:55 +0100
Krunose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it ok for LO to find five words in 'This is < a word.' as

I'd have thought the answer was either 4 or 6 depending on whether you
ignore '<' or pronounce 'less than'. :)

> https://www.countofwords.com/
>
> finds only four. Don't know how that reflects on this like 'This is 4
> words' and not sur so on. It's hard to anticipate every possible
> variant
> - is that the reason?
>
> Is there more information about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kruno

jomali jomali

Re: Word counting in LO Writer

A simple experiment shows that LO writer considers a new word to have begun
when any character occurs after a whitespace character. Do you disagree
with this algorithm? I certainly don't. It's straightforward, easy to
understand and unambiguous.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 3:36 PM Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 20:57:55 +0100
> Krunose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it ok for LO to find five words in 'This is < a word.' as
>
> I'd have thought the answer was either 4 or 6 depending on whether you
> ignore '<' or pronounce 'less than'. :)
>
> > https://www.countofwords.com/
> >
> > finds only four. Don't know how that reflects on this like 'This is 4
> > words' and not sur so on. It's hard to anticipate every possible
> > variant
> > - is that the reason?
> >
> > Is there more information about this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kruno

mikey mikey

Re: Word counting in LO Writer

For all purposes that matter (payment, thesis limits, etc.) doesn't the 5
characters per word rule still count? I guess if they are instead counting
the word boundaries these days that could be 5, but if you submitted an
invoice for it, 4 is correct, or if you're trying to achieve a word count
for a thesis, 4 is correct (as far as I know, but I'm a child of the
80's... things may be different these days.)