Word doesn't see symbols

Deve Deve

Word doesn't see symbols

http://pl.libreofficeforum.org/sites/default/files/uploads/deveee_files/ZRZUT_EKRANU10.jpg
http://pl.libreofficeforum.org/sites/default/files/uploads/deveee_files/ZRZUT_EKRANU20.jpg

I create math symbols on writer. It doesn't have font "Symbol". Only
"OpenSymbol". Next I send document to somebody, who have only MS Word.
He doesn't have "OpenSymbol". Word doesn't display some symbols. For
example CDOT on math equation.

It's a problem when I must work with somebody who has only Word.

It could be solved if I could change font to official "Symbol". But I
don't see it on properties.

Maybe better compatibility on saving to doc...

Any suggestions?
Pedro Pedro

Re: Word doesn't see symbols

I'm not a dev (and this mailing list is for devs only).

But your problem isn't related to doc compatibility (or any format, for that matter).

If the person you are sending the file doesn't the font you are using and the font used to replace doesn't have the symbols you are using, the only option would be to embed the font in the document.

Unfortunately it seems that ODF doesn't support embedding fonts and the Save option for .doc in LibreOffice doesn't either.

I agree this is a serious limitation (especially for presentations)

You should add a feature to request to embed fonts in doc files (which is supported by the MS doc format).

As for embedding fonts in ODF, I couldn't find anything on Google or Bugzilla so I guess this hasn't been considered?

(In this particular case you could email Opensymbol.ttf to your friends because it has a GPL license although it's copyrighted to Oracle http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=11463)
Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

Re: Word doesn't see symbols

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 03:18 -0700, plino wrote:
> I'm not a dev (and this mailing list is for devs only).
>
> But your problem isn't related to doc compatibility (or any format, for that
> matter).

Well, the actual image shown is a .wmf preview of the object. So its not
certain that actually embedded opensymbol into the .doc will actually
add it to the list of fonts that word uses to render wmfs. Anyway, there
is some complicated magic available to attempt to convert the OpenSymbol
glyphs to wingdings equivalents which is typically enabled when
exporting to .doc.

That may have come unstack on the changes to the opensymbol font in 3.3,
or may not be connected up for the embedded .wmf in a .doc case.

A good bug report and debugging required.

C.

Dennis E. Hamilton Dennis E. Hamilton

Re: Word doesn't see symbols

I don't know which is CDOT in OpenSymbol (it looks like a vertically-centered dot, but it appears attached to the "b" in the JPG and there are at least six symbols that look like it in OpenSymbol), so I couldn't check this but ...

Do you have Lucida Sans Unicode on your installation of Writer?  It may work better to choose your symbols from there if you can find the ones you want.  Check the Unicode that LO Writer shows for the character in OpenSymbol and then look at other fonts to see which ones also have the symbol for that Unicode Code Point.

Look in the Insert | Special Character ... dialog for matches in different fonts.

Not a perfect solution, but it might provide a work-around for now.

 - Dennis