Write Closed but Windows 10 won't provide safe to remove flash drive

charles meyer charles meyer

Write Closed but Windows 10 won't provide safe to remove flash drive

This is both a Writer question and a Windows 10 issue.

I close Libre Writer and all the other  programs I had  opened but when I
click the flash drive icon in the "system tray" (lower right) to receive
the Safely remove the flash drive it keeps displaying  that I need to close
programs.

I've check each program along the toolbar (on the bottom) and none are open
but it still won't give the OK to pull the flash drive out.

I've Googled this and reads both that you can just pull the flash drive out
as its plug and play and others say the flash drive will stop working oif
you keep pulling it out with the "Safe to Remove" message.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Write Closed but Windows 10 won't provide safe to remove flash drive

 1. Separately open a window of the folder showing the document you are
    opening. Make a backup copy from Windows. Once your document is
    open, a temporary file should be created in that folder. When
    closing the document, the temporary document should disappear. If
    the temporary document does not go away, delete it.
 2. Run Windows 10 Task Manager and look for any surviving LibreOffice
    programs running. If yes, kill the program, then see if it is safe
    to remove drive.

If either of these work for you, see "How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice
at https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport

These are the two things I found that caused LibreOffice to not let go
of a file.

Hope it helps.

On 3/6/21 4:36 PM, charles meyer wrote:

> This is both a Writer question and a Windows 10 issue.
>
> I close Libre Writer and all the other  programs I had  opened but when I
> click the flash drive icon in the "system tray" (lower right) to receive
> the Safely remove the flash drive it keeps displaying  that I need to close
> programs.
>
> I've check each program along the toolbar (on the bottom) and none are open
> but it still won't give the OK to pull the flash drive out.
>
> I've Googled this and reads both that you can just pull the flash drive out
> as its plug and play and others say the flash drive will stop working oif
> you keep pulling it out with the "Safe to Remove" message.
>
> Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: Write Closed but Windows 10 won't provide safe to remove flash drive

When Windows displays that programs need to be closed, does it display any
of the program name(s)?

If yes, what is the name or what are some names? (If Paul's response fixed
it, never mind.)

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM charles meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is both a Writer question and a Windows 10 issue.
>
> I close Libre Writer and all the other  programs I had  opened but when I
> click the flash drive icon in the "system tray" (lower right) to receive
> the Safely remove the flash drive it keeps displaying  that I need to close
> programs.
>
> I've check each program along the toolbar (on the bottom) and none are open
> but it still won't give the OK to pull the flash drive out.
>
> I've Googled this and reads both that you can just pull the flash drive out
> as its plug and play and others say the flash drive will stop working oif
> you keep pulling it out with the "Safe to Remove" message.
>
> Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Luuk Luuk

On 6-3-2021 22:36, charles meyer wrote:

> This is both a Writer question and a Windows 10 issue.
>
> I close Libre Writer and all the other  programs I had  opened but when I
> click the flash drive icon in the "system tray" (lower right) to receive
> the Safely remove the flash drive it keeps displaying  that I need to close
> programs.
>
> I've check each program along the toolbar (on the bottom) and none are open
> but it still won't give the OK to pull the flash drive out.
>
> I've Googled this and reads both that you can just pull the flash drive out
> as its plug and play and others say the flash drive will stop working oif
> you keep pulling it out with the "Safe to Remove" message.
>
> Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Using openfiles.exe (from Microsoft) you can see which files are open.

(link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/openfiles
)
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/openfiles>

first you have to enable it using: openfiles /Local ON    (and do a reboot)

After that you can query with files are open using : openfiles /Query .....

More details on how to use this are given on the link given above.

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
John Kaufmann John Kaufmann

On 2021-03-07 10:03, Luuk wrote:
> Using openfiles.exe (from Microsoft) you can see which files are open.
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/openfiles>
>
> first you have to enable it using: openfiles /Local ON    (and do a reboot)
> After that you can query with files are open using : openfiles /Query .....

Thanks! Very handy to know about.