Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

chrispforr chrispforr

Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

I've been happily using LibreOffice for years without any problems, until
now.
Abruptly, on Windows 10, using Writer ver 6.3.2, I was unable to change the
name of existing .odt documents (but still able to save new documents, and
to save existing documents without changing the name.)
Result: LibreOffice hangs and I need to use Windows Task Manager to close
the app.
I uninstalled LibreOffice and did a fresh install of LibreOffice 6.3.4.2
(current ver). This did not solve the problem.
Suggestions? I looked thru the Archives, nothing seems to match. Advance
thanks.

John Kaufmann John Kaufmann

Re: Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

On 2020-02-28 20:52, chrispforr wrote:
> Abruptly, on Windows 10, using Writer ver 6.3.2, I was unable to change the
> name of existing .odt documents (but still able to save new documents, and
> to save existing documents without changing the name.)
> Result: LibreOffice hangs and I need to use Windows Task Manager to close
> the app.
> I uninstalled LibreOffice and did a fresh install of LibreOffice 6.3.4.2
> (current ver). This did not solve the problem. ...

"Abruptly" - meaning you have been able to use "Save As", but can no longer? Before un/re-installing LO, my thought would be to see if this problem exists in other applications. Does it?

FWIW, I have no problem doing "Save As" with v.6.3.2, including under Windows.

Good luck,
john

chrispforr chrispforr

Re: Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

John,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, before today, the Save As function was working fine in LO 6.3.2.
This afternoon I installed MS Office and the Save/Save As is completely
functional - so it's just in LO I have this problem.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

Hi.
Have a look at Tools>Options>Libreoffice>General>Open/Save Dialogues.

I had to select Use Libreoffice Dialogues because I was having a problem
with the OS dialogues and LO, I think I was getting freezing.
steve

On 29/02/2020 20:19, chrispforr wrote:

> John,
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> Yes, before today, the Save As function was working fine in LO 6.3.2.
> This afternoon I installed MS Office and the Save/Save As is completely
> functional - so it's just in LO I have this problem.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

chrispforr chrispforr

Re: Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

Steve,
I don’t understand why that works, but you correctly identified a workable
solution. I just ticked ‘on’ “Use LibreOffice dialogs” and it started
working fine. Problem solved!
Thank you very much.

On 2020-02-29 14:15 Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Have a look at Tools>Options>Libreoffice>General>Open/Save Dialogues.
>
> I had to select Use Libreoffice Dialogues because I was having a problem
> with the OS dialogues and LO, I think I was getting freezing.

Curious: I find no problem with "Save As" either way, but that makes a difference for you and Chris. Apparently at some point you were both able to do "Save As" /without/ "Use LibreOffice dialogs". It might be worth a bug report for some help to figure out what changed.

Steve, are you also (like Chris) on Windows 10?

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Writer 6.3.4.2 hangs on "Save as"

I never filed a bug report because I have LO from the openSUSE
repository and with my wife's PC with win10 and LO from the official
site there was no issue.
Apparently there could be some bug, but it would be hard to nail down or
make reproducible.
Steve