Writer- Adjust space around a character in a table?

pda123 pda123

Writer- Adjust space around a character in a table?

How do I adjust the space between characters and table borders in Writer?

Fox example- within a Writer Table I want little or no space between the
top and sides and bottom of the word "writer".

Thanks

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Re: Writer- Adjust space around a character in a table?

1. Optionally select the specific cells you want to adjust; otherwise all cells will be affected.
2. Go to the Menu item: Tables, then Properties.
3. Choose the Borders tab.
4. On the right hand side, use the "Spacing to Contents" adjustments. If you wish to set the top, bottom, and sides individually, you will need to uncheck the "Synchronize" box.

If you go to the Menu item: "View - Toolbars" and check "Table", a tool bar with all of the table settings will appear whenever you place the cursor inside the table - I suggest doing this if you use tables a lot, as it makes things much easier.

Be aware that the [perceived] distance between the text and table borders is affected by the line thickness (set in the same dialog described above) as well as the weight and style of the fonts in use, so you may need to twiddle a bit to get the effect you want.

This should get you going ...
pda123 pda123

On 01/24/2017 10:08 AM, CVAlkan wrote:
> 1. Optionally select the specific cells you want to adjust; otherwise all
> cells will be affected.
> 2. Go to the Menu item: Tables, then Properties.
> 3. Choose the Borders tab.
> 4. On the right hand side, use the "Spacing to Contents" adjustments. If you
> wish to set the top, bottom, and sides individually, you will need to
> uncheck the "Synchronize" box.
Thanks.  Tried that but there's no difference even with line width set
to 0.0 pt.  It's ok.  I can live with it.

> If you go to the Menu item: "View - Toolbars" and check "Table", a tool bar
> with all of the table settings will appear whenever you place the cursor
> inside the table - I suggest doing this if you use tables a lot, as it makes
> things much easier.
>
> Be aware that the [perceived] distance between the text and table borders is
> affected by the line thickness (set in the same dialog described above) as
> well as the weight and style of the fonts in use, so you may need to twiddle
> a bit to get the effect you want.
>
> This should get you going ...

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Re: Writer- Adjust space around a character in a table?

No - From what you said, you wouldn't want to adjust the line WIDTH to correct the spacing.

What I said was "4. On the right hand side, use the "Spacing to Contents" adjustments. If you wish to set the top, bottom, and sides individually, you will need to uncheck the "Synchronize" box."

The "Line width" is in the middle of the dialog box, and the "Spacing to Contents" (what I think you want from your description) is on the far right (assuming you have a fairly recent version of Writer).

Take another look - the spacing for each side is usually set to 4 points as a default.

If nothing seems to change, please tell us the version of Writer you are using (it's under Help>About) and the operating system you are using (e.g. Windows, Fedora, or whatever).
Mike Adams Mike Adams

Re: Writer- Adjust space around a character in a table?

If table spacing isn't working for you, and it may not on certain
imported tables, HTML ones in my experience; then there is a cludge
where you can select the cells then use Format > Paragraph and set the
spacing around the paragraphs instead.