Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

seedpress seedpress

Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

I’m having an aggravating problem with using a comments feature in
LibreOffice writer. As you may know, each comment in the right margin of the
document has dashed lines that go out to a “carrot” indicator in the main
body of the document. When I enable the print option “comments in the
margins,” the printed comments’ dashed lines are too faint and thin to read
easily.

I can’t find a way to increase the thickness of the dashed lines to make
them more legible. I’ve tried adjusting the font size within the comments,
but the dashed line thickness remains fixed.

I’m printing with a black-and-white only laser printer. The grayscale of the
printed dashed lines varies according to the color of the comment. So, I can
darken them a little by cycling through the colors and picking a darker one.
That helps readability somewhat, but the dashed comment lines are still too
thin.

I have to cycle through the colors using a clumsy trick detailed in various
places, for example: https://askubuntu.com/questions/60116...

Is there an easier way to select a comments background color in the newest
version of LO?

I’m running LO Version: 6.4.3.2 (x64), on Win 10.

aguador aguador

Re: Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

El vie, 29-05-2020 a las 19:43 -0700, seedpress escribió:

> I’m having an aggravating problem with using a comments feature in
> LibreOffice writer. As you may know, each comment in the right margin
> of the
> document has dashed lines that go out to a “carrot” indicator in the
> main
> body of the document. When I enable the print option “comments in the
> margins,” the printed comments’ dashed lines are too faint and thin
> to read
> easily.
>
> I can’t find a way to increase the thickness of the dashed lines to
> make
> them more legible. I’ve tried adjusting the font size within the
> comments,
> but the dashed line thickness remains fixed.
>
> I’m printing with a black-and-white only laser printer. The grayscale
> of the
> printed dashed lines varies according to the color of the comment.
> So, I can
> darken them a little by cycling through the colors and picking a
> darker one.
> That helps readability somewhat, but the dashed comment lines are
> still too
> thin.

Are you, by chance, using a toner-saving mode? I have seen that very
thin lines are affected by dpi and toner-saving mode on my laser
printer.

seedpress seedpress

Re: Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

I'm not using toner-saving mode, but thanks for the suggestion. Also, I tried
to raise the printer's resolution from 600 dpi to 1200, which in my case
made the line even less readable.

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

LIbreOffice Version: 6.3.5.2

Try...

     Create a comment from <Insert><Comment>

     When cursor is inside comment then: <Format><Comments>

I haven't done this, but hopefully it will effect the dashed line as
well as text font.

Paul

On 5/29/20 10:43 PM, seedpress wrote:

> I’m having an aggravating problem with using a comments feature in
> LibreOffice writer. As you may know, each comment in the right margin of the
> document has dashed lines that go out to a “carrot” indicator in the main
> body of the document. When I enable the print option “comments in the
> margins,” the printed comments’ dashed lines are too faint and thin to read
> easily.
>
> I can’t find a way to increase the thickness of the dashed lines to make
> them more legible. I’ve tried adjusting the font size within the comments,
> but the dashed line thickness remains fixed.
>
> I’m printing with a black-and-white only laser printer. The grayscale of the
> printed dashed lines varies according to the color of the comment. So, I can
> darken them a little by cycling through the colors and picking a darker one.
> That helps readability somewhat, but the dashed comment lines are still too
> thin.
>
> I have to cycle through the colors using a clumsy trick detailed in various
> places, for example: https://askubuntu.com/questions/60116...
>
> Is there an easier way to select a comments background color in the newest
> version of LO?
>
> I’m running LO Version: 6.4.3.2 (x64), on Win 10.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

seedpress seedpress

Re: Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately  the "<Format><Comments>" option
only allows formatting of fonts. The dashed indicator line referred to in my
question remains unaffected by any changes to font size or style.

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Writer Comments Have Faintly Printed Indicator Lines

I poked around a little more, but could not find any more references.

There has to be some type of color description field in a file for it to
show as it is.

It may take a bit of effort, but if you can change that, at least it
will be more obvious.

You may want to submit a suggestion that they add a <Format><Comments>
that would allow changes to line type and color mixed in with the text
option.

Sorry, couldn't help.