Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

All chapters of the Writer Guide 6.4 have been published and are ready
for "cleaning" by Martin or anyone familiar with his tool for doing
this.

Compiled full book will be available soon.

Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Compiled book is now available in ODT and PDF, in the Published folder.
Jean

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:33 PM Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All chapters of the Writer Guide 6.4 have been published and are ready
> for "cleaning" by Martin or anyone familiar with his tool for doing
> this.
>
> Compiled full book will be available soon.
>
> Jean

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Hi, Jean et. al.,

I cleaned the files with the odtclean.py script downloaded from
"English/Contributor Resources" map (uploaded 2 years ago).

I hope this is the latest script, as some styles have been recently renamed
etc. Maybe Miloš can confirm. The files seem bigger, but that might be
because of the different zipping algorithm (LO/python).

I placed the "cleaned" files in the Draft folder, in the
"Published-cleaned" subfolder to check.

Lp, m.

V V pet., 31. jul. 2020 ob 07:14 je oseba Jean Weber <[hidden email]>
napisala:

> Compiled book is now available in ODT and PDF, in the Published folder.
> Jean
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:33 PM Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > All chapters of the Writer Guide 6.4 have been published and are ready
> > for "cleaning" by Martin or anyone familiar with his tool for doing
> > this.
> >
> > Compiled full book will be available soon.
> >
> > Jean

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

When I first began working on the present Base Guide, I was translating
the chapter from Base Handbuch (German). For that I needed to create
clean file before translating them. All 10 of the files after cleaning
were in fact bigger as you have discovered.

Dan

On 7/31/20 13:16, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> Hi, Jean et. al.,
>
> I cleaned the files with the odtclean.py script downloaded from
> "English/Contributor Resources" map (uploaded 2 years ago).
>
> I hope this is the latest script, as some styles have been recently renamed
> etc. Maybe Miloš can confirm. The files seem bigger, but that might be
> because of the different zipping algorithm (LO/python).
>
> I placed the "cleaned" files in the Draft folder, in the
> "Published-cleaned" subfolder to check.
>
> Lp, m.
>
> V V pet., 31. jul. 2020 ob 07:14 je oseba Jean Weber <[hidden email]>
> napisala:
>
>> Compiled book is now available in ODT and PDF, in the Published folder.
>> Jean
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:33 PM Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> All chapters of the Writer Guide 6.4 have been published and are ready
>>> for "cleaning" by Martin or anyone familiar with his tool for doing
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Compiled full book will be available soon.
>>>
>>> Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

I have checked the "cleaned" files and replaced the ones in the
Published folder for the book.
Thanks for the quick work, Martin.
And thanks to everyone who worked on this book.
Jean

Jean

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:16 AM Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Jean et. al.,
>
> I cleaned the files with the odtclean.py script downloaded from "English/Contributor Resources" map (uploaded 2 years ago).
>
> I hope this is the latest script, as some styles have been recently renamed etc. Maybe Miloš can confirm. The files seem bigger, but that might be because of the different zipping algorithm (LO/python).
>
> I placed the "cleaned" files in the Draft folder, in the "Published-cleaned" subfolder to check.
>
> Lp, m.
>
> V V pet., 31. jul. 2020 ob 07:14 je oseba Jean Weber <[hidden email]> napisala:
>>
>> Compiled book is now available in ODT and PDF, in the Published folder.
>> Jean
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:33 PM Jean Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > All chapters of the Writer Guide 6.4 have been published and are ready
>> > for "cleaning" by Martin or anyone familiar with his tool for doing
>> > this.
>> >
>> > Compiled full book will be available soon.
>> >
>> > Jean

Milos Sramek Milos Sramek

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Hi Martin,

I have a newer version of the script, which should do a bit better job.
I'll upload it to "English/Contributor Resources", I did not know about
that directory.
I was unable to find the directories you have mentioned, I've checked
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/apps/files/?dir=/LibreOffice%20Documentation/English/Writer%20Guide/6.4

Milos

--
email & jabber: [hidden email]

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Hi, Miloš,

I guess the Feedback dir was emptied and Jean put my "cleaned" files to the
Published dir.

I found the old WG chapters (uncleaned) in my Trash folder, so I can upload
them somewhere for a new "cleaning" process.

Lp, m.

V V pon., 3. avg. 2020 ob 20:30 je oseba Milos Sramek <

Milos Sramek Milos Sramek

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Hi Martin,

prior to cleaning it is necessary to check correctness of formatting –
replace directly formatted bold and italic to styles and vice versa.
Have you done that? If not, the formatting will vanish in cleaning. In
that case please place the uncleaned files somewhere so that I can
download them.

I will upload the new version of the script together with a brief
description how to use it.
Perhaps we can add a new directory "for_cleaning" where finished
documents would be put. From there the document would go to Published

Milos

--
email & jabber: [hidden email]

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Hi, Miloš,

this is the first time I hear of these pre-operations on a file, prior to
cleaning it with this script. I haven't done it.

I will send you the non-cleaned chapters so you can do the cleaning as it
should be done.

Please, do document the required (pre)process, so that the l10n teams can
use the script in the most efficient way.

Lp, m.

V V pon., 3. avg. 2020 ob 21:28 je oseba Milos Sramek <

Milos Sramek Milos Sramek

Re: Writer Guide 6.4 chapters ready for "cleaning"

Hi Martin,

thank you for the files, I'll check them.

Earlier (when translating GS42) styles were used really poorly, mostly
direct formatting was used and large pieces of text were directly
reverted from formatting to unformatted text.
This has improved significantly, now there are often no problems or only
a few in one document. They can be fixed easily.

For example, I've noticed that in the file WG6410...odt "Path" in the
following sentence was directly formatted and therefore it vanished
after cleaning:

 1.

    To set the file name or change the folder, click the Path icon (the
    three dots to the right of the location). On the Save As dialog,
    make your selections and click *Save*.

Milos