Writer form field forced to UPPER case

Roderick Anderson Roderick Anderson

Writer form field forced to UPPER case

OK my Google foo is defective.

I'm trying to build a PDF membership (501.c.3) form using LibreOffice
Writer.

One of the fields should be upper case.  Is there a form control that
will convert entered text to upper case?

TIA for any help or suggestions.

Rod

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Writer form field forced to UPPER case

Hi Rod,

> One of the fields should be upper case.  Is there a form control that
> will convert entered text to upper case?

There is no form-field in LO which changes the input from lower case to
upper case.

Special for *.pdf-forms: The fields in *.pdf-forms will be textfields
without any special behaviour. Comboboxes, Listfields, Buttons and and
Checkboxes will also work.

Regards

Robert

João Jerónimo João Jerónimo

Re: Writer form field forced to UPPER case

Try the following:

* Select the form.
* Then right click -Character.
* Go to tab "Font effects".
* Inside that tab you have an "Effects" combobox. Choose "Upper
        case".
Then all text entered in the form will be in caps.

Regards,

João Jerónimo

Às 07:57 de 28/09/2019, Roderick A.
      Anderson escreveu:
OK my
      Google foo is defective.I'm trying to build a PDF membership (501.c.3) form using
      LibreOffice Writer.One of the fields should be upper case.  Is there a form control
      that will convert entered text to upper case?TIA for any help or suggestions.Rod
Roderick Anderson Roderick Anderson

Re: Writer form field forced to UPPER case

Thanks João.

I think this is for a Base Form.  I'm doing this using Writer.

Further research is in my future.

Rod

Maurice Batey Maurice Batey

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 10:03:45 +0200, Robert Großkopf wrote:

> There is no form-field in LO which changes the input from lower case to
> upper case

  You mean other than Format/Text/Uppercase?

/\/\aurice

/\/\aurice

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Writer form field forced to UPPER case

Hi Maurice,

>> There is no form-field in LO which changes the input from lower case to
>> upper case
>
>   You mean other than Format/Text/Uppercase?

Look at a form-field. Right click on the field > Control properties >
Font. There is one button "Features". No possibility to set the whole
content to uppercase. Only to set "Lowercase to Small Capitals".

This is the behaviour in Writer- and Base-forms.

If you export forms to a *.pdf-form most of this "features" won't be
exported. Also Scribus, which would export more features to a
*.pdf-form, doesn't give a possibility to set the content ot uppercase.

Format > Text > UPPERCASE will change the input of text in Writer, not
in a formfield.

Regards

Robert

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Le 28/09/2019 à 08:57, Roderick A. Anderson a écrit :
> OK my Google foo is defective.
>
> I'm trying to build a PDF membership (501.c.3) form using LibreOffice
> Writer.
>
> One of the fields should be upper case.  Is there a form control that
> will convert entered text to upper case?

As others have said, there is no default control that allows you to do
this in Writer and have it function in an exported PDF form.

One suggestion might be to see whether you can embed a JS script in your
PDF form for that control that does this for you, see for example, this
thread :

https://answers.acrobatusers.com/how-make-form-field-caps-q38840.aspx

I honestly don't know whether this is possible from within Writer when
you create and export the form to FPDF.

Alex

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Writer form field forced to UPPER case

Hi Alex,

> One suggestion might be to see whether you can embed a JS script in your
> PDF form for that control that does this for you, see for example, this
> thread :
>
> https://answers.acrobatusers.com/how-make-form-field-caps-q38840.aspx
>
> I honestly don't know whether this is possible from within Writer when
> you create and export the form to FPDF.

Writer doesn't but Scribus includes Javascript for a form.

Robert