Writer: how to disable table's tool tips

Mike. Mike.

Writer: how to disable table's tool tips

LO 5.4.4.2 (x64) on Windows AMD64

Is there any way to turn off the tool tips associated with tables
("Select table row", "Adjust table row" etc., etc.)?

They are incredibly annoying, constantly popping up over the text I am
trying to read and/or edit.  In addition to being annoying, they are
also incorrect in what they say.  For example, when the "Select table
row" tool tip is seen and I click the mouse button, I'd expect the table
row to be selected.  It is not.

But my main concern is that the tool tips pop up and blot out the text I
want to see and provide me little to no usefulness with their
appearance.  The tool tips are one of the most irritating parts of a UI
that I've experienced in a long, long while.

I've disabled extended tool tips but that does not seem to resolve the
problem.

Is there a way to disable the table tool tips? (and only the table tool
tips)

thx.

Mike. Mike.

Re: Writer: how to disable table's tool tips

On 2/8/2018 10:09 AM, Mike wrote:

> LO 5.4.4.2 (x64) on Windows AMD64
>
> Is there any way to turn off the tool tips associated with tables
> ("Select table row", "Adjust table row" etc., etc.)?
>
> They are incredibly annoying, constantly popping up over the text I am
> trying to read and/or edit.  In addition to being annoying, they are
> also incorrect in what they say.  For example, when the "Select table
> row" tool tip is seen and I click the mouse button, I'd expect the table
> row to be selected.  It is not.
>
> But my main concern is that the tool tips pop up and blot out the text I
> want to see and provide me little to no usefulness with their
> appearance.  The tool tips are one of the most irritating parts of a UI
> that I've experienced in a long, long while.
>
> I've disabled extended tool tips but that does not seem to resolve the
> problem.
>
> Is there a way to disable the table tool tips? (and only the table tool
> tips)
>
> thx.

I just installed 6.0.1.1 (X64) and this still appears to be a problem.
I was unable to disable the annoying tool tips when using tables.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Writer: how to disable table's tool tips

Just hit <Esc> to immediately dismiss the tool-tip. Otherwise the tip will
appear for 4 seconds.

We used to be able to control how long to wait (with mouse over action)
before displaying the tool-tip, but that looks a little muddled now in
source, and seems to default to 1 second.

And for Accessibility we can extend the length of time the tool-tip is
visible, from default 4-99 seconds.  Set in Expert Configuration.

The timer is global, so no way to isolate the behavior in Tables.  Again,
just <Esc> to dismiss the tool-tip.

--
Sent from: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Users-f1639498.html

Mike. Mike.

On 2/9/2018 12:16 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
> Just hit <Esc> to immediately dismiss the tool-tip. Otherwise the tip will
> appear for 4 seconds.
>[snip]

For me, that's not even a workaround.  My left hand is on the mouse, not
the keyboard.

I'm somewhat surprised that such an annoying UI "feature" has been
around for so long.

Oh well...

thx for the reply.

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Writer: how to disable table's tool tips

Why don't you write a ticket on Bugzilla? There are always ways to suppress tooltips completely.

Mike. Mike.

On 2/10/2018 4:30 AM, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Why don't you write a ticket on Bugzilla? There are always ways to suppress tooltips completely.

That was my next step.

I know about suppressing tool tips completely (found it in google), but
I'd want to avoid that because I usually find them helpful.

Thanks.