Writer makes a mess of saved documents

jjs jjs

Writer makes a mess of saved documents

Hi,
i don't know why but when you make a document, starting with just a blanc layout.
You put in text and in between some pictures. Then it looks ok.

When you save it in docx or odt format and then re-open it, it is a totall mess. aaaaaaaHrrggg!

it totally does not remember were you placed the picture.
It places thru the document and even on top of each other.
How come this happens, this is really a big bug to me.
I never have it at my job were MS Office is used and were the same actions are used.

Thanks for helping. btw i use 3.4.4

Regards,
jerry
Tom Tom

Re: Writer makes a mess of saved documents

Hi :)
Try keeping your originals in Odt format (for 'text' (really word-processed) documents) and then save in DocX or better still Doc.  The way you are doing it, ie DocX for originals, is creating problems.

Actually DocX is a nightmare at best.  Try to avoid it!  Even MS Office renders it differently depending on which version of MS and which OS.  So something in MS Office 2010 may look different when viewed with MS Office 2010 on Win7 or Vista and often will look weird in 2007 (assuming 2007 can open the file at all).

The older Doc format is better as more programs render it properly now.  In LibreOffice just "Save As ... " "MS Word (97/2000/Xp)" or set that as default in
Tools - Options - Load/Save - General

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

jjs wrote:

> Hi,
> i don't know why but when you make a document, starting with just a blanc
> layout.
> You put in text and in between some pictures. Then it looks ok.
>
> When you save it in docx or odt format and then re-open it, it is a totall
> mess. aaaaaaaHrrggg!
>
> it totally does not remember were you placed the picture.
> It places thru the document and even on top of each other.
> How come this happens, this is really a big bug to me.
> I never have it at my job were MS Office is used and were the same actions
> are used.
>
> Thanks for helping. btw i use 3.4.4
>
> Regards,
> jerry

      Perhaps you should anchor you pictures when you insert
them.
My way to do this:
      1) When I complete the paragraph before the place for
a picture to be inserted, I use the Enter key to create an
empty
           paragraph.
      2) I insert the picture.
      3) I right click the picture to open a context menu,
selecting Anchor > As Character.
      4) I use the Enter key again to go to the beginning of
the next paragraph before adding more text.

      This works for me for documents containing over 15,000
words and at least 50 pictures.
       And remember, no two office suites are going to do
things the same way. What works well for one may not work
very well at all for another. (You have different people
writing the code for the programs meaning they have
different ideas as to how their program should work.)

--Dan

jjs jjs

Re: Writer makes a mess of saved documents

Hi Dan and Tom,

thank you both for your comments, i appreciate it

True MS can also do weird things.

But i never had to use an anchor in MS word.
So i will try your suggestions and hopefully that will help me out and save me some frustration ;)

Of course the free open source software is highly appreciated by me !
Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 31.05.2012 17:48, jjs wrote:

> Hi Dan and Tom,
>
> thank you both for your comments, i appreciate it
>
> True MS can also do weird things.
>
> But i never had to use an anchor in MS word.
> So i will try your suggestions and hopefully that will help me out and save
> me some frustration ;)
>
> Of course the free open source software is highly appreciated by me !

There is not a single technical reason why anybody should save any
document as OOXML(docx/xlsx/pptx). OOXML has been introduced in order to
fight the ODF standard while increasing the level of incompatibility
with OpenOffice.org and its derivatives.
You can not be compatible with something that has been designed for a
maximum of incompatibility despite the "Open" and "Office" and "XML" in
the name. Even if LibreOffice would take up with this pestilence of a
file format, that would be the point were MS would introduce the next
incompatible shit.
So do us all a favour, ignore all OOXML export (in fact this
anti-feature should not be in this software) and save your work as ODF.

If you want to send your ready made document: File>Send>Send as PDF

If and only if you need to co-edit a document with MS Office users:
File>Send>Send as MS Word(.doc)
When the next version of the .doc arrives in your inbox you open the
mail attachent and save an editable copy as ODF in your own directory.

Tom Tom

Re: Writer makes a mess of saved documents

You are welcome.  MS Word automatically sets your anchor type and point and has a more limited range of choices if you are not happy with their default choice.

My company newsletter was a nightmare until i started afresh with a fresh new blank Odt and then copied the various logos and images into it.  The old Word 2007 one wouldn't let me move images around so freely and kept crashing on the older machines despite being fairly short, only 12 pages!  There was a lot of garbage and hidden redundant code that had built-up over the years so i think even a fresh start in Word would have been an improvement but moving it to LO and using Odt for originals has made a vast positive difference. :)