YouTube channel: community posts unlocked

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

YouTube channel: community posts unlocked

Hello, good news everyone!

Our YouTube channel now supports "community posts":

"Creators with access to the Community tab can interact with viewers
using rich media. Community posts can include polls, GIFs, text, images,
and on-demand video. Community posts help provide additional reach on
YouTube and greater engagement with your audience. They always appear on
the Community tab, and may appear in Home or the Subscriptions feed."

Let's think of some ideas for this! As an example, when we post a "new
features" video, we could also do some polls -- what's your favourite
new feature in this release?

--
Mike Saunders, Marketing & PR
The Document Foundation

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Re: YouTube channel: community posts unlocked

I would like to see more content on non-GAFAM platforms, relying too
much or exclusively on YouTube comes with important restrictions and the
risk of having such content removed or unavailable.

It also encourages joining such platforms which is not possible and
often incoherent with values associated to using LibreOffice in the
first place.

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca/

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: YouTube channel: community posts unlocked

Hi Fabian,

On 19/11/2018 17:59, Fabián Rodríguez wrote:
> I would like to see more content on non-GAFAM platforms, relying too
> much or exclusively on YouTube comes with important restrictions and the
> risk of having such content removed or unavailable.
>
> It also encourages joining such platforms which is not possible and
> often incoherent with values associated to using LibreOffice in the
> first place.

For the benefit of others in the list, GAFAM = Google, Apple, Facebook,
Amazon, Microsoft (I'd never heard of that before!).

Yes, we have to be available on fully free platforms, and I've asked the
infra community to look into PeerTube as an alternative to YouTube. At
the same time, if we want to spread the word, we have to go where the
people are.

I'm no big fan of Facebook, but it's an extremely effective way to reach
new users who weren't aware that LibreOffice exists, and encourage
existing users to tell new people.

I'll provide an update about PeerTube when I have more info!

Cheers,
Mike

Le 18-11-20 à 05 h 31, Mike Saunders a écrit :

> Hi Fabian,
>
> On 19/11/2018 17:59, Fabián Rodríguez wrote:
>> I would like to see more content on non-GAFAM platforms, relying too
>> much or exclusively on YouTube comes with important restrictions and the
>> risk of having such content removed or unavailable.
>>
>> It also encourages joining such platforms which is not possible and
>> often incoherent with values associated to using LibreOffice in the
>> first place.
> For the benefit of others in the list, GAFAM = Google, Apple, Facebook,
> Amazon, Microsoft (I'd never heard of that before!).

Thank you. This project explains clearly why it's important to stop
relying on them and what alternatives there may be:

https://degooglisons-internet.org/en/

> Yes, we have to be available on fully free platforms, and I've asked the
> infra community to look into PeerTube as an alternative to YouTube. At
> the same time, if we want to spread the word, we have to go where the
> people are.
>
> I'm no big fan of Facebook, but it's an extremely effective way to reach
> new users who weren't aware that LibreOffice exists, and encourage
> existing users to tell new people.

Yes, PeerTube would be interesting to add to share videos. Self-hosting
on day one may not be immediately feasible, other existing instances may
be used initially. Regarding Facebook, I am not sure how you measure
that efficiency but we're past the point of naively believing it only
has benefits, in fact it's the opposite. Look at the right column
"Facebook in the news" at https://deletefacebook.com/ or "Reasons not to
use Facebook <https://stallman.org/facebook.html>".

Right now https://www.libreoffice.org suggests using Twitter, Facebook,
G+ (which is effectively dead), YouTube and Reddit: 100% non-free
platforms where anyone deciding not to use them can't contribute to
spread the word.

diaspora*, Mastodon, discourse and others could be considered as viable
alternatives now, but I think it should be another thread and given
proper discussion space.

> I'll provide an update about PeerTube when I have more info!

Thank you, looking forward to providing any help I can.

Cheers,

F.

Fabián Rodríguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca/