Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Sebastian Sebastian

Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Hi!

I am having problems installing Zotero in Libre Office. The Zotero toolbar
simply doesn't show. I am thankful for any assistance!

Below, I will (I) explain the procedures so far, (II) put my question(s).

(I)

- I have downloaded the latest version of Zotero and updated LibreOffice on
my Mac.
- In Zotero > Tools > Add-Ons > Extensions, "Zotero LibreOffice Integration"
is installed and enabled.
- In LibreOffice > Preferences > Advanced, "Use a Java runtime environment"
is checked.
- When I check the System and click Java, it says that Java is installed and
up to date.

BUT:

- There is no Zotero toolbar in LibreOffice under View > Toolbars.
- When I go to Zotero > Cite > Word Processors, it says that the LibreOffice
Add-On is not installed, and when I click Install, the following message
shows:

<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t496095/Sk%C3%A4rmavbild_2019-10-23_kl.png>

It says, the PlugIn requires the "Java Development Kit".

(II)

So, from the above, Java seems to be the problem. But (from the above) I
have Java. Or not? Or do I need some special Java-thingy? Could someone
perhaps please post a link with or describe exactly what needs to be done.

I am not computer-savvy, so please use a language for dummies!

Best wishes,
Sebastian

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 08:08:13 -0700 (MST)
Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am having problems installing Zotero in Libre Office. The Zotero
> toolbar simply doesn't show. I am thankful for any assistance!
>
> Below, I will (I) explain the procedures so far, (II) put my
> question(s).
>
> (I)
>
> - I have downloaded the latest version of Zotero and updated
> LibreOffice on my Mac.
> - In Zotero > Tools > Add-Ons > Extensions, "Zotero LibreOffice
> Integration" is installed and enabled.
> - In LibreOffice > Preferences > Advanced, "Use a Java runtime
> environment" is checked.
> - When I check the System and click Java, it says that Java is
> installed and up to date.
>
> BUT:
>
> - There is no Zotero toolbar in LibreOffice under View > Toolbars.
> - When I go to Zotero > Cite > Word Processors, it says that the
> LibreOffice Add-On is not installed, and when I click Install, the
> following message shows:
>
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t496095/Sk%C3%A4rmavbild_2019-10-23_kl.png>
>
> It says, the PlugIn requires the "Java Development Kit".
>
> (II)
>
> So, from the above, Java seems to be the problem. But (from the
> above) I have Java. Or not? Or do I need some special Java-thingy?
> Could someone perhaps please post a link with or describe exactly
> what needs to be done.
>
> I am not computer-savvy, so please use a language for dummies!

Java is a computer language. If you want to run programs written in it
on a computer you need at least the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If
you want to write programs in it, you need extra files and must install
the Java Development Kit (JDK) instead (it contains the JRE).

To complicate matters, some programs need the JDK instead of the JRE to
run. It seems that the PlugIn is one such. It may be that you have the
JRE installed on your computer and that the computer is reporting this
as having 'Java' installed in order to simplify things for ordinary
people. If so, you need to find and install the JDK instead. (and
whoever decided that saying 'Java' instead of 'Java Runtime
Environment' was simpler and better needs shooting in the head :)

I'm afraid I can't tell you how to do that because I'm not familiar
with Macs.

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

On 23/10/2019 17:08, Sebastian wrote:

> I am having problems installing Zotero in Libre Office. The Zotero toolbar
> simply doesn't show. I am thankful for any assistance!
>
> Below, I will (I) explain the procedures so far, (II) put my question(s).
>
> (I)
>
> - I have downloaded the latest version of Zotero and updated LibreOffice on
> my Mac.
> - In Zotero > Tools > Add-Ons > Extensions, "Zotero LibreOffice Integration"
> is installed and enabled.
> - In LibreOffice > Preferences > Advanced, "Use a Java runtime environment"
> is checked.
> - When I check the System and click Java, it says that Java is installed and
> up to date.
>
> BUT:
>
> - There is no Zotero toolbar in LibreOffice under View > Toolbars.
> - When I go to Zotero > Cite > Word Processors, it says that the LibreOffice
> Add-On is not installed, and when I click Install, the following message
> shows:
>
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t496095/Sk%C3%A4rmavbild_2019-10-23_kl.png>
>
> It says, the PlugIn requires the "Java Development Kit".
>
> (II)
>
> So, from the above, Java seems to be the problem. But (from the above) I
> have Java. Or not? Or do I need some special Java-thingy? Could someone
> perhaps please post a link with or describe exactly what needs to be done.
>
> I am not computer-savvy, so please use a language for dummies!

I do get the Zotero toolbar to display in LO Writer 6.0.7.3 in Ubuntu.

In your para (I), you do not say that you have the Zotero extension loaded in LibreOffice > Tools > Extension Manager

I have the extension "Zotero Libre Office Integration" installed in LO. This claims to integrate Zotero with LibreOffice.  You can find it here : https://extensions.libreoffice.org/

Perhaps this is your missing link ?

hth

Philip

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Le 23/10/2019 à 17:08, Sebastian a écrit :

Hi Sebastian,

Seems to work for me just fine with:

Version: 6.3.1.2
Build ID: b79626edf0065ac373bd1df5c28bd630b4424273
Threads CPU : 8; OS : Mac OS X 10.14.6; UI Render : par défaut; VCL: osx;
Locale : fr-FR (fr_FR.UTF-8); Langue IHM : fr-FR
Calc: threaded

using Zotero 5.0.76

I'm using OpenJDK 12.

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Le 23/10/2019 à 17:08, Sebastian a écrit :

Hi Sebastian,

> So, from the above, Java seems to be the problem. But (from the above) I
> have Java. Or not? Or do I need some special Java-thingy? Could someone
> perhaps please post a link with or describe exactly what needs to be done.

The Java update mechanism provided by Oracle only checks for updates to
JREs.

However, you will need to declare a full JDK with current versions of
LibreOffice.

You can either use the latest one that Oracle makes available, if you
are not making a business use of Java, or else you can download the
community version of OpenJDK that Oracle also provides here.

This comes as a ZIP file which you have to unzip and then copy the
folder in that to a system folder
/HardDisk/Library/Java⁩/JavaVirtualMachines⁩. You will need
administrator rights on the Mac in order to do this.

Then you will need to register the new JDK with LibreOffice by starting
it up and, under Preferences, go to the Advanced dialog and selecting
the JDK version you have just installed.

Note that if you use different versions of LO on the same machine, you
will have to do this each time you switch from one version to the other,
at least with LO6282 and LO6312. This behaviour seems to be a bug.

Alex

Sebastian Sebastian

Re: Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Hi Dave,
thanks for your answer! Obviously, JDK was missing, as you suspected. I
installed it, and now everything works fine!

Sebastian Sebastian

Re: Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Thanks, Philip – though it seems JDK was the problem! It's working after
installing it.

Sebastian Sebastian

Re: Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

Alex,
This did it! I installed the latest version of JDK (although it came as a
dmg file, and copying it manually into a system folder was never necessary),
which made it possible to choose this in LO. Now everything is working fine!
Thank you!