about libreoffice 5.2

zahra a zahra a

about libreoffice 5.2

hi every one.
does libreoffice 5.2 support xp?
i heard many times that libreoffice developers decided to stop support
for xp in version 5.2
but i did not see about this subject in libreoffice release notes!
could you please give me the result?
how libreoffice 5.2 support xp and how it works?
thanks for your help and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

Hi Nasrin,

There are two features that are known to be broken now for 5.2.0rc1

1. the Check for Updates process (at 5.0) -- tdf#95183  tdf#95184

2. the new (at 5.2)  Crash Report submission -- tdf#100295

Both features are based on the cURL utility (needed for http data transfer)  that when now built does not support Windows XP SP3 (or 64-bit XP SP2).

Unclear if ESC will official end support for Widows XP at 5.1 branch--or just declare it deprecated at 5.2 with some work around to not use the Update or Crash report features.

Stuart

Erik Jan Erik Jan

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

V Stuart Foote schreef op 24-06-16 om 16:34:

> Unclear if ESC will official end support for Widows XP at 5.1 branch--or
> just declare it deprecated at 5.2 with some work around to not use the
> Update or Crash report features.
>
> Stuart

Very nice: Widows XP !!!!

This descibes exactly XP's situation: abandoned, widowed.

Greetings,

Erik.

zahra a zahra a

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

hi stuart.
thanks so much for your informations.
you mentioned that online update feature is unsupported which is not a
new problem and i observed since version 5.0
and also about crash reporter which is new feature and is unsupported
in windows xp.
but the third bug which you sent it for me, shows libreoffice 5.2 does
not run on windows xp.
does it mean that all features are completely unsupported and the
document foundation said goodbye to windows xp for always?
could you please send me its read me file?

On 6/24/16, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> V Stuart Foote schreef op 24-06-16 om 16:34:
>
>> Unclear if ESC will official end support for Widows XP at 5.1 branch--or
>> just declare it deprecated at 5.2 with some work around to not use the
>> Update or Crash report features.
>>
>> Stuart
>
> Very nice: Widows XP !!!!
>
> This descibes exactly XP's situation: abandoned, widowed.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Erik.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

Hi Nasrin,

nasrin khaksar wrote
hi stuart.
but the third bug which you sent it for me, shows libreoffice 5.2 does
not run on windows xp.
does it mean that all features are completely unsupported and the
document foundation said goodbye to windows xp for always?
could you please send me its read me file?
Not at all.  But things are not looking good for Windows XP  sp3 continuing as a supported OS for the project.

The Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) "the developers" are aware, but decision to officially end support for Windows XP with the 5.1 release--that is to *not* seek work arounds that would  be needed to continue support for Windows XP at 5.2--has not been made.

The problem on Windows XP sp3 (32-bit, as 64-bit XP sp2 is not supported) has been that the cURL (libcurl.dll) required for LibreOffice to communicate with the Update services (since 5.0) and to the Error Reporting services  (at 5.2) is not supported by Windows XP sp3.

Bug tdf#100295 is already assigned a "Highest" priority and applies from 5.2.0beta2 forward. The 5.1 branch is impacted but not broken--but it could be the end of the line for Windows XP sp3 users.

There are several ways this could be worked around--up to the ESC, but it is unlikely that cURL would be removed, or Error Reporting not implemented at 5.2.   So unfortunately at this moment in the development cycle LibreOffice will not launch on Windows XP Sp3.

I just checked the draft "Release notes" for 5.2 (link below), and thus far no mention of  cURL support on XP SP3, nor a description of the new Error Reporting mechanism. But that is common as we are some time away from the final release.

Stuart

=-ref-=
Draft release notes 5.2
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.2
TomD TomD

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

Hi :)
Are you able to install a Virtual Machine, such as Virtualbox;
https://www.virtualbox.org/

and then try out Linux Mint or some other versions of Linux on the virtual
machine?  If you can find a version of linux that you like and that works
on your machine then you might not have to worry about upgrading to a newer
machine.

There are tons of noob-friendly "distros" such as Ubuntu, Mageia and many
others listed at;
http://distrowatch.com/
The list is in the 3rd column under the header and is the 2nd box down in
that column.

I am not sure which is "the best" for Accessibility issues such as
screen-readers but i suspect that many people on this mailing list might be
quite happy to give pointers or suggestions about things worth trying.

On 25 June 2016 at 12:52, V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nasrin,
>

> nasrin khaksar wrote
> > hi stuart.
> > but the third bug which you sent it for me, shows libreoffice 5.2 does
> > not run on windows xp.
> > does it mean that all features are completely unsupported and the
> > document foundation said goodbye to windows xp for always?
> > could you please send me its read me file?
>
> Not at all.  But things are not looking good for Windows XP  sp3 continuing
> as a supported OS for the project.
>
> The Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) "the developers" are aware, but
> decision to officially end support for Windows XP with the 5.1
> release--that
> is to *not* seek work arounds that would  be needed to continue support for
> Windows XP at 5.2--has not been made.
>
> The problem on Windows XP sp3 (32-bit, as 64-bit XP sp2 is not supported)
> has been that the cURL (libcurl.dll) required for LibreOffice to
> communicate
> with the Update services (since 5.0) and to the Error Reporting services
> (at 5.2) is not supported by Windows XP sp3.
>
> Bug tdf#100295 is already assigned a "Highest" priority and applies from
> 5.2.0beta2 forward. The 5.1 branch is impacted but not broken--but it could
> be the end of the line for Windows XP sp3 users.
>
> There are several ways this could be worked around--up to the ESC, but it
> is
> unlikely that cURL would be removed, or Error Reporting not implemented at
> 5.2.   So unfortunately at this moment in the development cycle LibreOffice
> will not launch on Windows XP Sp3.
>
> I just checked the draft "Release notes" for 5.2 (link below), and thus far
> no mention of  cURL support on XP SP3, nor a description of the new Error
> Reporting mechanism. But that is common as we are some time away from the
> final release.
>
> Stuart
>
> =-ref-=
> Draft release notes 5.2
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.2

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

> [...]
> >
> > Bug tdf#100295 is already assigned a "Highest" priority and applies from
> > 5.2.0beta2 forward. The 5.1 branch is impacted but not broken--but it
> could
> > be the end of the line for Windows XP sp3 users.
> >
> > There are several ways this could be worked around--up to the ESC, but it
> > is
> > unlikely that cURL would be removed, or Error Reporting not implemented
> at
> > 5.2.   So unfortunately at this moment in the development cycle
> LibreOffice
> > will not launch on Windows XP Sp3.
> >
> > I just checked the draft "Release notes" for 5.2 (link below), and thus
> far
> > no mention of  cURL support on XP SP3, nor a description of the new Error
> > Reporting mechanism. But that is common as we are some time away from the

​Tom, given the fact that Windows XP hasn't been supported (for ordinary
users)​
​ since 14 April 2014, and thus security updates are no longer being
released, perhaps Nasrin's best bet would be to clone her Windows XP
installation and replace it on her HDD with, e g, Linux Mint 17.3 (which
generally speaking, is very intuitive and easy to use for those accustomed
to Windows). Or she might want to wait a couple of weeks until the standard
version of Linux Mint 18 has been released (I personally recommend the
Cinnamon desktop). In any event, when that is done, she should have no
problem installing VirtualBox on that machine, and then installing her XP
clone on VirtualBox. LibreOffice can then be installed directly on Linux
Mint....

Henri

TomD TomD

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

Hi :)
That would be a brilliant way to have it in the longer-term.  I've not
managed to get Virtualbox to use a proper hard-drive rather than it's own
internal image of a drive but probably because i only had a very brief stab
at it.

There are many other ways, such as just using LibreOffice within Linux Mint
(or whichever version ( = distro ) of Linux and forget about the whole
Windows side (except for using the files that will still be on that side).

A "dual boot" system would keep Windows available and almost unchanged but
would give a menu at "boot up" to allow Nasrin to choose to use Mint (or
whichever) and become familiar with it at her own pace.

My main reason for using Virtualbox inside of Windows XP was meant to be a
temporary thing.  It would just to be to experiment with setting up
accessibility tools within the OS that is within the Virtual Machine.  All
neatly still in a working and familiar system that CAN still talk to you
and make some sort of sense.

Moving on to a dual-boot system, or some-such would be a next step into
Linux-land and away from Xp.  Moving from Xp to Linux can be a gentle
"migration" that keeps the option of retreating back into Xp available at
all times.

Microsoft prefers that people leap fearlessly into the void with absolutely
no idea whether their new system will work or not.  That has kept many
people firmly chained to Xp.

I prefer the gentler approach that Linux offers :))  It's one of the many
reasons i am happy i made the journey.  I still do use Windows but
increasingly rarely.

On 29 June 2016 at 15:29, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>> > deleted
>>

> ​Tom, given the fact that Windows XP hasn't been supported (for ordinary
> users)​
> ​ since 14 April 2014, and thus security updates are no longer being
> released, perhaps Nasrin's best bet would be to clone her Windows XP
> installation and replace it on her HDD with, e g, Linux Mint 17.3 (which
> generally speaking, is very intuitive and easy to use for those accustomed
> to Windows). Or she might want to wait a couple of weeks until the standard
> version of Linux Mint 18 has been released (I personally recommend the
> Cinnamon desktop). In any event, when that is done, she should have no
> problem installing VirtualBox on that machine, and then installing her XP
> clone on VirtualBox. LibreOffice can then be installed directly on Linux

Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

Hi!  I can confirm the issue about Microsoft and WinXP  (no longer supported and affordable).  The issue rised more protests when users face a 'mandatory' upgrade to the last version of win (more people complained 'it looked like mandatory to upgrade the system, but when I did, many things stopped working..').

I am since about 10 years a happy and proud user of Xubuntu (xfce desktop environment). It is stable, complete and light (X 14.04 runs well on my Intel Centrino pc). Furthermore you can change wallpaper and icons to make it look like WinXP.  It can be, obviously, used in dual boot with Win.  If you want to give it a try, the best solution is to make 2 partitions: root (for the system) and home (for data and configuration files); then you can reinstall or change your os, keeping safe your data and configurations.

LibreOffice is stable and works very well with Xubuntu.  Libreoffice by itself is the natural choice  of linux makers and partners.

Paolo

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:20 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi :)
That would be a brilliant way to have it in the longer-term.  I've not
managed to get Virtualbox to use a proper hard-drive rather than it's own
internal image of a drive but probably because i only had a very brief stab
at it.

Microsoft prefers that people leap fearlessly into the void with absolutely
no idea whether their new system will work or not.  That has kept many
people firmly chained to Xp.

I prefer the gentler approach that Linux offers :))  It's one of the many
reasons i am happy i made the journey.  I still do use Windows but
increasingly rarely.

zahra a zahra a

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

hi.
thanks extremely for your kind and warm support and suggestions.
virtual box needs powerful system and for this reason, i cant use it.
how can i know about compatibility of version 5.2 with windows xp?
i reported many bugs and also request to bugzilla, but unfortunately
without resolve even only for one of them until now.
whats your idea in this case?
and also linux is suitable for programmers or at least for proffessional users.
thanks again for your kindness and helping me for resolving my issues!
God bless you all again and i pray devine mercy for you.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:59 PM, nasrin khaksar <[hidden email]> wrote:

and also linux is suitable for programmers or at least for proffessional users.

your opinion,  but I wouldn't say that,  after my 10 years experience...  I am using it every day for everything....
Changing may, however, give specific issues,  that's also true...

Paolo

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

> hi.
> thanks extremely for your kind and warm support and suggestions.
> virtual box needs powerful system and for this reason, i cant use it.
> how can i know about compatibility of version 5.2 with windows xp?
> i reported many bugs and also request to bugzilla, but unfortunately
> without resolve even only for one of them until now.
> whats your idea in this case?
> and also linux is suitable for programmers or at least for proffessional
> users.
> thanks again for your kindness and helping me for resolving my issues!
> God bless you all again and i pray devine mercy for you.
>
> On 6/29/16, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > That would be a brilliant way to have it in the longer-term.  I've not
> > managed to get Virtualbox to use a proper hard-drive rather than it's own
> > internal image of a drive but probably because i only had a very brief
> stab
> > at it.
> >
> > There are many other ways, such as just using LibreOffice within Linux
> Mint
> > (or whichever version ( = distro ) of Linux and forget about the whole
> > Windows side (except for using the files that will still be on that
> side).
> >
> > A "dual boot" system would keep Windows available and almost unchanged
> but
> > would give a menu at "boot up" to allow Nasrin to choose to use Mint (or
> > whichever) and become familiar with it at her own pace.
> >

> > My main reason for using Virtualbox inside of Windows XP was meant to be
> > temporary thing.  It would just to be to experiment with setting up
> > accessibility tools within the OS that is within the Virtual Machine.
> All
> > neatly still in a working and familiar system that CAN still talk to you
> > and make some sort of sense.
> >

> > Moving on to a dual-boot system, or some-such would be a next step into
> > Linux-land and away from Xp.  Moving from Xp to Linux can be a gentle
> > "migration" that keeps the option of retreating back into Xp available at
> > all times.
> >
> > Microsoft prefers that people leap fearlessly into the void with
> absolutely
> > no idea whether their new system will work or not.  That has kept many
> > people firmly chained to Xp.
> >
> > I prefer the gentler approach that Linux offers :))  It's one of the many
> > reasons i am happy i made the journey.  I still do use Windows but
> > increasingly rarely.
> > Regards from
> > Tom :)

​Nasrin, I'm unable to address your ​question about the compatibility of LO
5.2 with Windows XP with any certainty, but from earlier posts to this
thread, I've gathered that this has indeed become an issue, as developers
no longer wish to devote their time and efforts to maintaining
compatibility with so antique an operating system....

As to whether operative systems using the Linux kernel suit for programmers
and professional users, I think the answer is unequivocal - yes they are.
Note, for example that of the 500 fastest super computers, 497 use Linux
(the remaining 3 use Unix). As to system requirements - I note that you
suffer from certain limitations in that regard - the following are those
listed for Linux Mint 18 with the Cinnamon desktop :

*System requirements:*

   - 512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
   - 9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
   - 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows
   with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

Notes:

   - The 64-bit ISO can boot with BIOS or UEFI.
   - The 32-bit ISO can only boot with BIOS.
   - The 64-bit ISO is recommend for all modern computers (Almost all
   computers sold in the last 10 years are equipped with 64-bit processors).

If your machine meets the above requirements (which it more or less had to,
for you to be comfortable running Windows XP), then you're good to go. (As
noted in an earlier post, I recommend Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop,
as it is both reliable and very easy for former Windows users to get
accustomed to....)

Good luck !

Henri

Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: about libreoffice 5.2

And if you have enought space in your hard disk, you can install Xubuntu
or Linux Mint on the same hard disk, with dual boot and keep your xp
system if you already need it.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

--