about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

zahra a zahra a

about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

hello every one.
i have questions about libreoffice online.
how does it work?
does it need separate version of libreoffice to download rather than
normal version?
or does it some changes in settings to work?
i opened the given link, but i could not understand whats it, because
of the sanctions against iran unfortunately.
i realy wish to know about it and also is it possible to use it in
previous versions of libreoffice or it works only in 5.3?
i tried this link, but without any success.
https://hub.docker.com/r/libreoffice/online
also i realy love the previous ui version of libreoffice website.
it was previously more accessible and more simple to use.
i appreciate your help, pray for you and request divine mercy and
blessings for you.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

> i tried this link, but without any success.
> https://hub.docker.com/r/libreoffice/online

​I'm not sure about the rest of your post (restrictions etc.) but that link
is about the docker image directly. Docker is a tool made to deploy apps in
a specific ways. It might be possible to use LibreOffice online in other
ways, but there's no obvious ways to do it without docker.

You can (hopefully) find more info about using LibreOffice Online​ at
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/ . For starters, know that it's
completely separate from a regular LibreOffice installation. Work on
CODE/LibreOffice Online started a while ago, but it's probably not
useful/very useable with previous versions. And it also depends on some
other components to actually manage user files, but that's covered on the
link I gave you.

TomD TomD

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

Hi :)
There is always Google Docs.  Very limited functionality but it means you
don't have to install it on your machine = just use it in your
web-browser.  Personally i prefer to have something that is installed on my
machine so that i can work off-line.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/
I think you can login and use them even if you don't have a Gmail account
but they just want to know what your email address is so that you can login
to your own documents.  If they ask you to give them a password then i
think you make up a new one instead of giving them the one you use to get
into your emails.

We don't have much control over how the official LibreOffice website
appears.  There is a separate mailing list for that, something like;
[hidden email]

I'm not sure about restrictions as each place seems to do restrictions
differently from each other.

TomD TomD

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

Hi :)
Errr, ok so now i've read the release-notice from Italo.

I think the on-line version of LibreOffice needs to be on a "private
Cloud".  I think that would need to be installed on a machine at your place
or rent some space on a server.  If it's for a company or a fair sized
group of people then it might make some sense but for an individual or just
a few people then it's probably better to just install the normal
LibreOffice on each machine.

On 3 February 2017 at 22:31, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> There is always Google Docs.  Very limited functionality but it means you
> don't have to install it on your machine = just use it in your
> web-browser.  Personally i prefer to have something that is installed on my
> machine so that i can work off-line.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/
> I think you can login and use them even if you don't have a Gmail account
> but they just want to know what your email address is so that you can login
> to your own documents.  If they ask you to give them a password then i
> think you make up a new one instead of giving them the one you use to get
> into your emails.
>
> We don't have much control over how the official LibreOffice website
> appears.  There is a separate mailing list for that, something like;
> [hidden email]
>
> I'm not sure about restrictions as each place seems to do restrictions
> differently from each other.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 2 February 2017 at 19:35, Cley Faye <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > i tried this link, but without any success.
>> > https://hub.docker.com/r/libreoffice/online
>> >

>> ​I'm not sure about the rest of your post (restrictions etc.) but that
>> link
>> is about the docker image directly. Docker is a tool made to deploy apps
>> in
>> a specific ways. It might be possible to use LibreOffice online in other
>> ways, but there's no obvious ways to do it without docker.
>>
>> You can (hopefully) find more info about using LibreOffice Online​ at
>> https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/ . For starters, know that it's
>> completely separate from a regular LibreOffice installation. Work on
>> CODE/LibreOffice Online started a while ago, but it's probably not
>> useful/very useable with previous versions. And it also depends on some
>> other components to actually manage user files, but that's covered on the
>> link I gave you.

>> deleted

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

Yes, that is an option.  I have a lady in my apartment building that
sends me emails to help he deal with her Google Docs she is creating.
She prefers dealing with Google Docs over anything other method for
creating/editing documents or shared editing of documents.

Of course, I hope to look into the LO online options after a few months
after the roll-out.

I will be happy when both the online and Android options are out and
working well.  Hopefully the Android creations/editing option would be
available by the end of the year.  That will have a limited or full
package in all major market platforms, - except Apple's phone/tablet iOS
- it will be a great day for our local marketing activities.  Most
people I know do not have Apple's tablet[s] for personal or business
activities.  So, it will great to say to my contacts, here is one
solution for all your platforms.

On 02/03/2017 05:31 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> There is always Google Docs.  Very limited functionality but it means you
> don't have to install it on your machine = just use it in your
> web-browser.  Personally i prefer to have something that is installed on my
> machine so that i can work off-line.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/
> I think you can login and use them even if you don't have a Gmail account
> but they just want to know what your email address is so that you can login
> to your own documents.  If they ask you to give them a password then i
> think you make up a new one instead of giving them the one you use to get
> into your emails.
>
> We don't have much control over how the official LibreOffice website
> appears.  There is a separate mailing list for that, something like;
> [hidden email]
>
> I'm not sure about restrictions as each place seems to do restrictions
> differently from each other.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 2 February 2017 at 19:35, Cley Faye <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> i tried this link, but without any success.
>>> https://hub.docker.com/r/libreoffice/online
>>>
>> ​I'm not sure about the rest of your post (restrictions etc.) but that link
>> is about the docker image directly. Docker is a tool made to deploy apps in
>> a specific ways. It might be possible to use LibreOffice online in other
>> ways, but there's no obvious ways to do it without docker.
>>
>> You can (hopefully) find more info about using LibreOffice Online​ at
>> https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/ . For starters, know that it's
>> completely separate from a regular LibreOffice installation. Work on
>> CODE/LibreOffice Online started a while ago, but it's probably not
>> useful/very useable with previous versions. And it also depends on some
>> other components to actually manage user files, but that's covered on the
>> link I gave you.

>> deleted

zahra a zahra a

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

hi tom.
thanks for responding me and your help.
i dont use online cloud and i am not familiar with them.
i only wanted to become familiar with libreoffice online which is
introduced in version 5.3
thanks so much again and God bless you.
also, i sent many emails for you outside group and did not recieve
your response.
i am waiting for you and God bless you.

TomD TomD

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

Hi :)
Don't worry about trying to use the on-line version.  I think most of us
appreciate that having something installed on your own machine is often
better.  many of us will probably never use the online version so it's not
something you have to learn.

Sorry i have not answered other emails.  I have a lot of off-line work to
do and rarely get time to read my emails.  You seem to be doing a great job
which i'm sure is appreciated.

Good luck and many regards from
Tom :)

On 8 February 2017 at 09:45, nasrin khaksar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> hi tom.
> thanks for responding me and your help.
> i dont use online cloud and i am not familiar with them.
> i only wanted to become familiar with libreoffice online which is
> introduced in version 5.3
> thanks so much again and God bless you.
> also, i sent many emails for you outside group and did not recieve
> your response.
> i am waiting for you and God bless you.
>
> On 2/4/17, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that is an option.  I have a lady in my apartment building that
> > sends me emails to help he deal with her Google Docs she is creating.
> > She prefers dealing with Google Docs over anything other method for
> > creating/editing documents or shared editing of documents.
> >
> > Of course, I hope to look into the LO online options after a few months
> > after the roll-out.
> >
> > I will be happy when both the online and Android options are out and
> > working well.  Hopefully the Android creations/editing option would be
> > available by the end of the year.  That will have a limited or full
> > package in all major market platforms, - except Apple's phone/tablet iOS
> > - it will be a great day for our local marketing activities.  Most
> > people I know do not have Apple's tablet[s] for personal or business
> > activities.  So, it will great to say to my contacts, here is one
> > solution for all your platforms.
> >

> > On 02/03/2017 05:31 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
> >> Hi :)
> >> There is always Google Docs.  Very limited functionality but it means
> you
> >> don't have to install it on your machine = just use it in your
> >> web-browser.  Personally i prefer to have something that is installed on
> >> my
> >> machine so that i can work off-line.
> >>
> >> https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/
> >> I think you can login and use them even if you don't have a Gmail
> account
> >> but they just want to know what your email address is so that you can
> >> login
> >> to your own documents.  If they ask you to give them a password then i
> >> think you make up a new one instead of giving them the one you use to
> get
> >> into your emails.
> >>
> >> We don't have much control over how the official LibreOffice website
> >> appears.  There is a separate mailing list for that, something like;
> >> [hidden email]
> >>
> >> I'm not sure about restrictions as each place seems to do restrictions
> >> differently from each other.
> >> Regards from
> >> Tom :)

> apps
> other

> the

> > --
> > deleted

> holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
> in the very authentic narration is:
> al-islam.org

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

       exactly.

       BTW - for all who keep (or are considering keeping) their data
on-line, consider this:
          what would you do if that storage company were to change?, or go
out of business?
          what would you do if the power grid went out, leaving you with no
access to your data?

From: Tom Davies <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] about libreoffice online which is
introduced in version 5.3
To: nasrin khaksar <[hidden email]>
Cc: Kracked_P_P---webmaster <[hidden email]>, "
[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

williamdrescher williamdrescher

On 2/14/2017 5:20 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>          what would you do if the power grid went out, leaving you with no
> access to your data?

Summer:  I would mix a big gin and tonic and relax while
contemplating what would happen to civilization.
Winter: I would mix a big mulled wine and sit in front of the
fireplace while contemplating what would happen to civilization.

If you lost the entire power grid, working on a computer is the
least of your problems.

-bill

On 02/15/2017 07:37 AM, william drescher wrote:

> On 2/14/2017 5:20 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>>          what would you do if the power grid went out, leaving you
>> with no
>> access to your data?
>
> Summer:  I would mix a big gin and tonic and relax while contemplating
> what would happen to civilization.
> Winter: I would mix a big mulled wine and sit in front of the
> fireplace while contemplating what would happen to civilization.
>
> If you lost the entire power grid, working on a computer is the least
> of your problems.
>
> -bill

One of the big things that businesses need to look at is who can access
and "own" the data in the cloud. I have heard of several versions of the
answer[s] since the cloud started to be used to store data.  Your
"power" issue is a problem, but what happens if the cloud service gets
bought out by another company or if the service closes down.

Like any data,  you NEED to backup your data.  If the data is stored
online, I really think people/organization/business needs to make a
backup of the data that is stored in their home/office/building in some
offline method.  That way, if the service goes down for an extended
period [hours to days] there will be some access to the data.  If people
not using the cloud should/need to backup your data.  I have 6TB+ of
data and it is stored on USB drives. If you use a cloud service, you
MUST know how the data is backed up. How many times has a server, that
LibreOffice uses, needed "fixes" to keep the services going.  The
"service is down" issues we have had over the years has been annoying to
the users, but gets fixed quickly.  We have been lucky so far.

There has been some really weird "service agreement" language that aloud
the provider to read your data to make sure that the data is not of an
illegal nature.  Other seem to tell the user that since your data is on
their servers, then it belongs to the service provider in some way.  The
good service providers will encrypt data that is stored on their
servers.  My problem with these services is that you need an expensive
lawyer to figure out the the "terms of service" agreement.

The worse case is that the service closes down for more than a day or
two.  This can be due to weather and other "natural" issues that either
takes down the power lines for an extended period and/or the building
that holds the servers are severely damaged. This could be caused by
fire, earth quakes, or really bad storms. The news full of the natural
disasters that destroys the power lines, floods the community where the
servers are located, or even wild fires doing the same destruction.

I am not applying that the service provider could have any service
issues, but we need to think about the worse case.

This is my own opinion on these subjects, based on what I have seen -
via the news services -  and/or read about in the USA.  You alway need
to think about the worse case so if it happens, you will not lose you
data and be down for the shortest time possible.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

       ah, you're one of the thinkers!

From: william drescher <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:37 AM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: about libreoffice online which is
introduced in version 5.3
To: [hidden email]

On 2/14/2017 5:20 PM, anne-ology wrote:

>          what would you do if the power grid went out, leaving you with no
> access to your data?

Summer:  I would mix a big gin and tonic and relax while contemplating what
would happen to civilization.
Winter: I would mix a big mulled wine and sit in front of the fireplace
while contemplating what would happen to civilization.

If you lost the entire power grid, working on a computer is the least of
your problems.

-bill

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

       yes.

From: Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM
introduced in version 5.3
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

The worse case is that the service closes down for more than a day or two.
This can be due to weather and other "natural" issues that either takes
down the power lines for an extended period and/or the building that holds
the servers are severely damaged. This could be caused by fire, earth
quakes, or really bad storms. The news full of the natural disasters that
destroys the power lines, floods the community where the servers are
located, or even wild fires doing the same destruction.

I am not applying that the service provider could have any service issues,
but we need to think about the worse case.

This is my own opinion on these subjects, based on what I have seen - via
the news services -  and/or read about in the USA.  You alway need to think
about the worse case so if it happens, you will not lose you data and be

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

zahra a zahra a

Re: about libreoffice online which is introduced in version 5.3

hi tim.
i appreciate your useful information.
i admire your help and God bless you.