about unicode characters:

zahra a zahra a

about unicode characters:

hi every one.
thanks so much for spending time and helping me to use libreoffice properly.
is there a solution for libreoffice to recognize the unicode incoding
and open them properly like utf-8 documents?
because open office has unicode utf-7 and utf-8 and libreoffice has
utf-7, utf-8 and utf-16.
whats the difference between unicode and unicode utf-8?
thanks and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: about unicode characters:

nasrin khaksar wrote:
> hi every one.
> thanks so much for spending time and helping me to use libreoffice properly.
> is there a solution for libreoffice to recognize the unicode incoding
> and open them properly like utf-8 documents?
> because open office has unicode utf-7 and utf-8 and libreoffice has
> utf-7, utf-8 and utf-16.
> whats the difference between unicode and unicode utf-8?
> thanks and god bless you all.

Unicode is a standard for representing text in a form which can be used
by computers (i.e. a series of numbers). It basically assigns a number
to each of thousands of characters used in different languages. It also
defines several encodings which can be used to represent those numbers
in memory or on disk; UTF-8 and UTF-16 are probably the most common.
When dealing with plain text files, you need to know which encoding is
used, not just that it's "Unicode", in order to read it correctly.

There's a lot more detail, e.g. here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

Mark.

krackedpress krackedpress

On 03/14/2016 01:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> nasrin khaksar wrote:
>> hi every one.
>> thanks so much for spending time and helping me to use libreoffice
>> properly.
>> is there a solution for libreoffice to recognize the unicode incoding
>> and open them properly like utf-8 documents?
>> because open office has unicode utf-7 and utf-8 and libreoffice has
>> utf-7, utf-8 and utf-16.
>> whats the difference between unicode and unicode utf-8?
>> thanks and god bless you all.
>
> Unicode is a standard for representing text in a form which can be
> used by computers (i.e. a series of numbers). It basically assigns a
> number to each of thousands of characters used in different languages.
> It also defines several encodings which can be used to represent those
> numbers in memory or on disk; UTF-8 and UTF-16 are probably the most
> common. When dealing with plain text files, you need to know which
> encoding is used, not just that it's "Unicode", in order to read it
> correctly.
>
> There's a lot more detail, e.g. here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
>
> Mark.

The one thing that confuses some users is the fact that Unicode fonts
are not alike displaying the characters.  Is you look at them using the
"insert special characters" option in Writer, you will find that each
font will have a different set of Unicode characters available.  I just
seems to me that most of the ones I have tried just do not want to
include the "full set" of the available characters.  Arial Unicode MS
seems to me to have the most Unicode characters included within the font
file.  It would be nice to find a free font that includes all the
characters that the Arial Unicode font includes.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 15/03/2016 13:16, Tim wrote:

> do not want to include the "full set" of the available characters.

A font with all Unicode glyphs in it, would contain 2^17 different
glyphs, but current font format definitions restrict the size of a font
to 2^16 different glyphs.

> Arial Unicode MS seems to me to have the most Unicode characters

There are just over 50,000 glyphs in Arial, whilst Unifont has just
under 60,000 glyphs.

IOW, if you absolutely positively have to have a pan-unicode font, then
Unifont is the way to go.

jonathon

On 03/15/2016 11:23 AM, toki wrote:

> On 15/03/2016 13:16, Tim wrote:
>
>> do not want to include the "full set" of the available characters.
> A font with all Unicode glyphs in it, would contain 2^17 different
> glyphs, but current font format definitions restrict the size of a font
> to 2^16 different glyphs.
>
>> Arial Unicode MS seems to me to have the most Unicode characters
> There are just over 50,000 glyphs in Arial, whilst Unifont has just
> under 60,000 glyphs.
>
> IOW, if you absolutely positively have to have a pan-unicode font, then
> Unifont is the way to go.
>
> jonathon

In the Synaptic Package Manager, it shows that I have the Unifont
installed, but I do not see a font named as that in my .font folder.  I
wonder where the font was re-installed to, since I had it installed via
the package manager already, but could not find the name "Unifont" listed.

When I went online to the Unifont "project", I downloaded the full 12
MB  version TTF file.  When I looked at it in the font viewer, it was
very "boxy" - actually each character is made up with boxes. Both the
Web site and the info in the package manager stated the boxiness of the
font.

I still wonder what is the best looking unicode font with somewhere near
the number of characters/glyphs that Arial Unicode has.

Jean-Louis Oneto Jean-Louis Oneto

Re: about unicode characters:

I use several of the fonts listed on this page:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html
I only used the Windows fonts, but they have also fonts for
Linux/Unix/MacOSX.
HTH,
Jean-Louis

--