alfresco links

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

alfresco links

To create a link in alfresco, navigate to the content item you wish
linked > select the drop down arrow beneath its icon > select copy,
then go to directory you wish the link present > go to navigator panel >
click 'Shelf' > click on icon 'Paste as Link'

This would aid in the implementation of a group of core docs. A space
could be created in an administrators folder populated with the master
copies of the core docs, and links could be created in each space those
docs should be available.

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: alfresco links

Hi Jeremy, :-)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 22:54, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To create a link in alfresco, navigate to the content item you wish
> linked > select the drop down arrow beneath its icon > select copy,
> then go to directory you wish the link present > go to navigator panel >
> click 'Shelf' > click on icon 'Paste as Link'
>
> This would aid in the implementation of a group of core docs. A space
> could be created in an administrators folder populated with the master
> copies of the core docs, and links could be created in each space those
> docs should be available.

Do feel free to upload more documents to the Alfresco site, and to try
out working there.

You may have read that an Alfresco admin/developer has offered to help
us configure a workflow on the site, so we'll see what comes of that.
Ron would be handling the specification and coordination of that work.

Me, I'm still working on the libreoffice.org site for a few days more.
Then I'll be turning my full attention to Alfresco.

David Nelson

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: alfresco links

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:29:17 +0800
David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do feel free to upload more documents to the Alfresco site, and to try
> out working there.

The following link is to a space in 'My Home' named test. Within test
are 5 spaces: drafts > feedback > proofing > publish > test FIN. Rules
have been applied for 1) versioning and 2) progression to the next step
or regression to 'drafts' based on 'approve' or 'reject' choices made.
'Drafts' obviously doesn't have reject, and 'test FIN' has neither
approve nor reject.

https://documentation.traduction.biz/alfresco/n/browse/workspace/SpacesStore/05f7ffd4-f3f2-451e-8580-44ca69888797

You might have to be logged in to alfresco to follow the link, and even
then I'm not sure if you can view 'My Home'. If not, I will be happy to
replicate the example in a public place. Drafts has four docs to
shuttle about if you get in.

The below was used for guidance.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:17:15 -0600
Ron Faile <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Step 1.
>
> A user uploads a new file to the Drafts folder. Someone checks out
> the file from the Drafts folder to begin editing. The file stays in
> the Drafts folder and is marked that it is checked out and to show
> which user is working on it. If possible, prevent other users from
> editing the file while it is checked out.
>
> Step 2.
>
> The user downloads the file, makes changes and then uploads the file
> to Alfresco and checks the file back in. The user is then offered the
> option to either leave the file in the Drafts folder if the file
> needs further editing or if editing is complete, move the file to the
> next step in the process, the Review folder.
>
> Step 3.
>
> Another user goes to the Review folder and checks out the file,
> downloads it and reviews it. If the file was revised, it would be
> moved back to the Drafts folder and the document is checked back in.
> If it was ok and ready to proceed to proofing, the file is moved to
> the Proofing folder and the file is checked in.
>
> Step 4.
>
> A user goes to the Proofing folder, downloads the file and proofs it.
> If the file needs more work, it is moved back to the Drafts folder.
> If they agree it is ready for publishing, they go to the Proofing
> folder and mark that the file is ok. The file is marked as having
> been proofed once. Then a second user proofs the file and if they
> agree it is ready to be published, they mark that they have proofed
> the file and it is ok. Once the file has been proofed by two users,
> then it will be moved to the Published folder.
>
> I agree about turning on auto-versioning. Let me know if you need
> anything else. Thanks.
>
> Ron

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: alfresco links

Hi Jeremy, :-)

Thanks for your work on this. I've been taking a look. I checked out
two documents (Introducing Writer), made minor edits to them, and then
checked-in (and so uploaded) new versions of them.

One of them had been in the drafts "folder". I approved the checked-in
version and it moved to the feedback "folder". The other one was
already in the publish folder and, when I approved it, it then moved
to the "test FIN" folder. I could see that Ron Faile has also been
working on a document there.

I can see that this is a big, big step forward in relation to our
current wiki-based workflow. Plus we have not yet started using the
versioning available within Alfresco. There are a lot of other
features that would be very valuable to the docs work process, too:
the discussion feature, and the advanced workflow features. We have
but scratched the surface.

@Jeremy: It would be great if you could make sure that this is visible
to everyone.

@Ron: What do you think about this, Ron?

@Samphan: What do you think about this, Samphan? Is this in line with
what you envision? Where do we go from here?

@All: It would be great if all you guys can jump in and do test edits
on the docs in that space. Remember that these are *not* as yet true
working copies that we'll be publishing for our users. They are just
test versions as "dummy content" for Alfresco testing. So don't feel
afraid to experiment and learn with them. (If they are still in usable
condition when we have finished testing, then we will use them as
drafts when we subsequently get to launch an operational workflow for
live work.)

Great work, Jeremy. ;-) I'm still busy on the libreoffice.org site,
but I will take time out to start properly RTFM in just a couple of
days now.

I'm getting excited about Alfresco. This really could be the tool we need.

David Nelson

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 05:48, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:29:17 +0800
> David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Do feel free to upload more documents to the Alfresco site, and to try
>> out working there.
>>

> The following link is to a space in 'My Home' named test. Within test
> are 5 spaces: drafts > feedback > proofing > publish > test FIN. Rules
> have been applied for 1) versioning and 2) progression to the next step
> or regression to 'drafts' based on 'approve' or 'reject' choices made.
> 'Drafts' obviously doesn't have reject, and 'test FIN' has neither
> approve nor reject.
>
> https://documentation.traduction.biz/alfresco/n/browse/workspace/SpacesStore/05f7ffd4-f3f2-451e-8580-44ca69888797
>
> You might have to be logged in to alfresco to follow the link, and even
> then I'm not sure if you can view 'My Home'. If not, I will be happy to
> replicate the example in a public place. Drafts has four docs to
> shuttle about if you get in.
>
> The below was used for guidance.
>
>> Step 1.
>>
>> A user uploads a new file to the Drafts folder. Someone checks out
>> the file from the Drafts folder to begin editing. The file stays in
>> the Drafts folder and is marked that it is checked out and to show
>> which user is working on it. If possible, prevent other users from
>> editing the file while it is checked out.
>>
>> Step 2.
>>
>> The user downloads the file, makes changes and then uploads the file
>> to Alfresco and checks the file back in. The user is then offered the
>> option to either leave the file in the Drafts folder if the file
>> needs further editing or if editing is complete, move the file to the
>> next step in the process, the Review folder.
>>
>> Step 3.
>>
>> Another user goes to the Review folder and checks out the file,
>> downloads it and reviews it. If the file was revised, it would be
>> moved back to the Drafts folder and the document is checked back in.
>> If it was ok and ready to proceed to proofing, the file is moved to
>> the Proofing folder and the file is checked in.
>>
>> Step 4.
>>
>> A user goes to the Proofing folder, downloads the file and proofs it.
>> If the file needs more work, it is moved back to the Drafts folder.
>> If they agree it is ready for publishing, they go to the Proofing
>> folder and mark that the file is ok. The file is marked as having
>> been proofed once. Then a second user proofs the file and if they
>> agree it is ready to be published, they mark that they have proofed
>> the file and it is ok. Once the file has been proofed by two users,
>> then it will be moved to the Published folder.
>>
>> I agree about turning on auto-versioning. Let me know if you need
>> anything else. Thanks.

Ron Faile Ron Faile

Re: alfresco links

On 1/12/2011 8:31 PM, David Nelson wrote:
> @Ron: What do you think about this, Ron?

I am very pleased with the result. It seems to work well and has a nice
feature to attach discussions to a doc.

One question. What is the test FIN folder for?

Ron

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: alfresco links

Hi, :-)

> I am very pleased with the result. It seems to work well and has a nice
> feature to attach discussions to a doc.

Do you think it's ready for us to start doing some real work in there
to try it out?

> One question. What is the test FIN folder for?

FIN as in final? Would be the location where the final files would be
exposed after approval in the publish folder...? Is that right,
Jeremy?

David Nelson

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: alfresco links

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:32:03 +0800
David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FIN as in final? Would be the location where the final files would be
> exposed after approval in the publish folder...? Is that right,
> Jeremy?
>
> David Nelson

That is correct. The extra folder was my solution to ensure TWO
approval steps were necessary as per
> ... Once the file has been proofed by two users,
> then it will be moved to the Published folder.
So, one approval gets the document into 'publish', and the
second approval moves it into 'test FIN'.

Of course, we can rely on communication to achieve the same results
with the original 4 folders, or there is quite possibly a way to do it
programmatically which wasn't immediately evident.

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: alfresco links

Hi, :-)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 01:50, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is correct. The extra folder was my solution to ensure TWO
> approval steps were necessary as per
>> ... Once the file has been proofed by two users,
>> then it will be moved to the Published folder.
> So, one approval gets the document into 'publish', and the
> second approval moves it into 'test FIN'.
>
> Of course, we can rely on communication to achieve the same results
> with the original 4 folders, or there is quite possibly a way to do it
> programmatically which wasn't immediately evident.

OK, well I heard back from Samphan today saying he's happy to help us
carry things forward to a finished state quickly. I guess we need to
hear from him what his ideas are in relation to what Jeremy's already
been doing, and what he would do additionally or differently.

In case he didn't read here on the list, I'll be telling him that our
best knowledge holder as regards the docs team's workflow, and our
prime liaison person is Ron Faile and - obviously - Jeremy Cartwright
in respect of the configuration work he's already been doing.

In any case, IMHO, what you've been setting up, Jeremy, is already
starting to look good. A big thanks for your time and effort on this.

Plus the other major things we want are the versioning management and
the rollback capability.

Jeremy was telling me about some memory problems he's been running
into, so I'll get the memory upgraded. Alfresco wants a minimum of 512
Mb. The server is currently running on 768 Mb, and I'll upgrade it to
1 Gb tomorrow.

David Nelson

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: alfresco links

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:31:33 +0800
David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Jeremy: It would be great if you could make sure that this is visible
> to everyone.

Done. The folder has been moved to 'LibreOffice Documentation/catalog
/Writer/working/(drafts|feedback|proofing|publish)'.

For extra geekiness, or added features; depending on your take on
technology, if you go to `'Company Home' | 'LibreOffice Documentation' |
'catalog' | 'Writer' | 'View Details' (the middle icon under the folder
icon) of 'working' in 'Browse Spaces' | 'Modify' (the UI looking icon
next to the trash can) in 'Custom View' | select
'LO_book_summary.ftl' from the dropdown | OK` it should
fill with a synopsis of the current state of that "book" for you under
'Custom View' when you are in the space 'working'. Bug Reports cheerfully accepted.

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: alfresco links

Hi Jeremy, :-)

This is great... I just read email from Samphan saying that he has
also just completed some work and that he'll be posting to this list
about it... I don't want you guys to be treading on each other's toes
(*probably* not the case)... Let's read what Samphan's been up to and
see where we are.

In any case, thank you both for the effort you are putting into this. :-)

I'll be looking at the results shortly.

David Nelson