apply numbering to headings styles

nabbler nabbler

apply numbering to headings styles

Readers,

In the dialogue window to modify a heading style, the option to apply
numbering (via 'outline & numbering') is greyed out (disabled).

How to activate numbering for heading styles?

--
LO35

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

On 19/11/2012 at 10:28, "e-letter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How to activate numbering for heading styles?

Have a look at Tools → Outline Numbering...
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

rosttyo rosttyo

On 2012-11-19 19:09, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
> On 19/11/2012 at 10:28, "e-letter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> How to activate numbering for heading styles?
> Have a look at Tools → Outline Numbering...

Why the hell is this menu item under Tools - I always search in Format and Styles. Thanks for the
question and answer.

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

I have never been satisfied with OO and LibO's treatment of outline
numbering. I like to control all formatting with Styles, but when it comes
to outline numbering, I can't do that. For outline numbered paragraphs, even
paragraph indents and margins are controlled by Tools/Outline Numbering
rather than the styles.

What I have done is create a bunch of paragraph styles called "Outline-1,"
"Outline-2," "Outline-3," etc. In terms of Style-controlled formatting, each
of these styles is identical -- single spaced with 12 point vertical space
before each paragraph. Then, in the Tools/Outline Numbering dialog, I
associate each outline style with a different outline level. Then within
each particular level, I set the formatting parameters I want with proper
numbering and paragraph indenting.

It is all very backwards as I end up formatting paragraphs, not by the
formatting styles, but by the outline numbering feature. I spent many, many
hours trying to get it figured out, but once I got it done, it works great.
I saved all my styles and outline numbering parameters into my default
template so that I never have to try to figure it out again.

Virgil

On 2012-11-19 19:09, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
> On 19/11/2012 at 10:28, "e-letter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> How to activate numbering for heading styles?
> Have a look at Tools → Outline Numbering...

Why the hell is this menu item under Tools - I always search in Format and
Styles. Thanks for the
question and answer.

deleted

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

Why not open a bug/feature request to add support for doing this via styles?

Since you've already worked out the hard part, upload your default
template complete with these predefined Styles to give the devs a
starting point?

On 2012-11-19 10:50 AM, VA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have never been satisfied with OO and LibO's treatment of outline
> numbering. I like to control all formatting with Styles, but when it
> comes to outline numbering, I can't do that. For outline numbered
> paragraphs, even paragraph indents and margins are controlled by
> Tools/Outline Numbering rather than the styles.
>
> What I have done is create a bunch of paragraph styles called
> "Outline-1," "Outline-2," "Outline-3," etc. In terms of Style-controlled
> formatting, each of these styles is identical -- single spaced with 12
> point vertical space before each paragraph. Then, in the Tools/Outline
> Numbering dialog, I associate each outline style with a different
> outline level. Then within each particular level, I set the formatting
> parameters I want with proper numbering and paragraph indenting.
>
> It is all very backwards as I end up formatting paragraphs, not by the
> formatting styles, but by the outline numbering feature. I spent many,
> many hours trying to get it figured out, but once I got it done, it
> works great. I saved all my styles and outline numbering parameters into
> my default template so that I never have to try to figure it out again.

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

Hi Virgil,

VA schrieb:
> I have never been satisfied with OO and LibO's treatment of outline
> numbering. I like to control all formatting with Styles, but when it
> comes to outline numbering, I can't do that.  For outline numbered
> paragraphs, even paragraph indents and margins are controlled by
> Tools/Outline Numbering rather than the styles.

Not "even", only left indents are set in the numbering dialog, all other
settings come from the paragraph style. What other setting can you not
do with the paragraph style?

> What I have done is create a bunch of paragraph styles called
> "Outline-1," "Outline-2," "Outline-3," etc. In terms of Style-controlled
> formatting, each of these styles is identical -- single spaced with 12
> point vertical space before each paragraph. Then, in the Tools/Outline
> Numbering dialog, I associate each outline style with a different
> outline level. Then within each particular level, I set the formatting
> parameters I want with proper numbering and paragraph indenting.

Why do you need own paragraph styles for that? The predefined styles
"Heading 1" etc. work as well. You can adapt them easily to your own needs.

> It is all very backwards as I end up formatting paragraphs, not by the
> formatting styles, but by the outline numbering feature. I spent many,
> many hours trying to get it figured out, but once I got it done, it
> works great. I saved all my styles and outline numbering parameters into
> my default template so that I never have to try to figure it out again.

Yes, that is the normal way, define own templates for settings, which
you use often and set that template, which you use most, as default
template.

Kind regards
Regina

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

I've never considered this a "bug." Rather it's a design decision, and I
wouldn't want to clutter up a bugzilla with my design preferences. Also,
despite the fact that I don't like it, it works better than MS Word's
outliner. I just figure there is something about the way outline levels are
inter-connected that makes it difficult to control them through paragraph
styles.

Regina, you're correct. Only the left indents are controlled by the
numbering dialog, which is part of the problem. SOME formatting parameters
are controlled by paragraph styles and SOME are controlled by the numbering
dialog, so I'm bouncing back and forth between different formatting
paradigms.

As to the Headings styles, I should have clarified, my "outline" styles are
not for headings. I create a lot of outlined documents. I have actually
created several other Headings styles, called "Chapter," "Section,"
"Subsection," etc. I have followed the LaTeX naming scheme as it makes the
most sense to me. So, between my heading styles and my outline styles, I use
all 10 outline levels.

I prefer creating my own styles rather than trying to work with the
pre-defined styles. I just find it easier and cleaner.

Virgil

On 19/11/2012 at 15:58, rost52 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why the hell is this menu item under Tools - I always search in Format and
> Styles. Thanks for the question and answer.

For the same reason that in Calc we have (from left to right) Format, Tools,
Data, Window, Help:
some stupid design decision made many years ago that no one dare to change.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

nabbler nabbler

On 19/11/2012, VA <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What I have done is create a bunch of paragraph styles called
>> "Outline-1," "Outline-2," "Outline-3," etc. In terms of Style-controlled
>> formatting, each of these styles is identical -- single spaced with 12
>> point vertical space before each paragraph. Then, in the Tools/Outline
>> Numbering dialog, I associate each outline style with a different
>> outline level. Then within each particular level, I set the formatting
>> parameters I want with proper numbering and paragraph indenting.
>
> Why do you need own paragraph styles for that? The predefined styles
> "Heading 1" etc. work as well. You can adapt them easily to your own needs.

Is it possible to set the counter for enumerated headings by sections?
For example

[section 1]

heading 1
subheading 1.1

heading 2
subheading 2.1
subsubheading 2.2.1

heading 3

[section 2]

heading 1

heading 2

etc.

--
LO35

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

Sure, it's all about setting the hierarchy of your outline in the
Tools/Outline Numbering dialog. There are 10 levels of outline. Just set the
top level to your section numbering, select the numbering format you want
and, if you want to associate it with a Paragraph Style (which I do), do
that as well.

It's harder for me to explain than it is to do, but I think if you play with
it (with some patience) you'll get the hang of it.

Virgil

On 19/11/2012, VA <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What I have done is create a bunch of paragraph styles called
>> "Outline-1," "Outline-2," "Outline-3," etc. In terms of Style-controlled
>> formatting, each of these styles is identical -- single spaced with 12
>> point vertical space before each paragraph. Then, in the Tools/Outline
>> Numbering dialog, I associate each outline style with a different
>> outline level. Then within each particular level, I set the formatting
>> parameters I want with proper numbering and paragraph indenting.
>
> Why do you need own paragraph styles for that? The predefined styles
> "Heading 1" etc. work as well. You can adapt them easily to your own
> needs.

Is it possible to set the counter for enumerated headings by sections?
For example

[section 1]

heading 1
subheading 1.1

heading 2
subheading 2.1
subsubheading 2.2.1

heading 3

[section 2]

heading 1

heading 2

etc.

--
LO35

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

I'm sorry, I just now saw what you meant in your question. I call that
"legal style" numbering.

That's possible, too.

In the Tools/Outline Numbering, click on the "Show Sublevels" to the number
of levels you want to include in your numbering scheme. The default is "1",
so if you want to show, "1.1" you'll select 2 sublevels, 1.1.1 will be 3
sublevels and so on. You'll have to make sure all your sublevels are set to
show Arabic numbering to get the right result.

Virgil

On 19/11/2012, VA <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What I have done is create a bunch of paragraph styles called
>> "Outline-1," "Outline-2," "Outline-3," etc. In terms of Style-controlled
>> formatting, each of these styles is identical -- single spaced with 12
>> point vertical space before each paragraph. Then, in the Tools/Outline
>> Numbering dialog, I associate each outline style with a different
>> outline level. Then within each particular level, I set the formatting
>> parameters I want with proper numbering and paragraph indenting.
>
> Why do you need own paragraph styles for that? The predefined styles
> "Heading 1" etc. work as well. You can adapt them easily to your own
> needs.

Is it possible to set the counter for enumerated headings by sections?
For example

[section 1]

heading 1
subheading 1.1

heading 2
subheading 2.1
subsubheading 2.2.1

heading 3

[section 2]

heading 1

heading 2

etc.

--
LO35

deleted

Tom Tom

Re: apply numbering to headings styles

I'm not sure which chapter might be best but documentation here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
might help.  Perhaps Chapter 14 of the Getting Started or the "Styles" Chapters of the Writer's Guide?