calc taking 97% of cpu

John R. Sowden John R. Sowden

calc taking 97% of cpu

I read in a ascii database into calc.  It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness is in
LO, not the system at large.

thoughts?

John

TomD TomD

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

Hi :)
Weird!  Err, have you tried renaming the user-profile?
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile

You prolly have but I thought i'd jump in with a "waggle the wires"
answer.  Renaming beats deleting because you can prolly just rename it back
if there is no effect to get almost all your settings and stuff back.

When LibreOffice 'can't find' your settings it generates a default set.  If
you got your LO from somewhere other than the LibreOffice website then the
default settings may be a little different than the "factory defaults" you
may have started with.

Renaming the user-profile is a magic 'cure all' that often works when
something weird happens.  It's a bit of a Spring Clean that gets rid of a
lot of "system rot" so it's prolly good to do occasionally anyway.
Regards from
a Tom :)

On 30 Mar 2018 06:52, "John R. Sowden" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I read in a ascii database into calc.  It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness is in
LO, not the system at large.

thoughts?

John

deleted

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

Hi John and all:

         Would you please tell us to the e-mail list what kind of
Operative System do you have and the LibreOffice version do you use ?

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El 29/03/2018 a las 23:49, John R. Sowden escribió:

> I read in a ascii database into calc.  It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
> resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
> cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
> window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness is
> in LO, not the system at large.
>
> thoughts?
>
> John

John R. Sowden John R. Sowden

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

LO version uk, updated about 6 mo ago, I believe

(I tried to open a smaller SS but I got a full gray screen, no menu bar,
only title and close box.  After 5 min I closed it

Note this does not happen when I open SS files only.  Only iof I am
trting to edit this ascii file.  When I click on a cell, it takes about
5 min for the cursor to move to that cell even if it is only a few cells
away.

On 03/30/2018 06:54 AM, jorge Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi John and all:
>
>         Would you please tell us to the e-mail list what kind of
> Operative System do you have and the LibreOffice version do you use ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El 29/03/2018 a las 23:49, John R. Sowden escribió:
>> I read in a ascii database into calc.  It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
>> resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
>> cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
>> window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness is
>> in LO, not the system at large.
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> John

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

I have not had to do the "renaming" in well over a year, but you should
make a backup copy of a working profile so you can go back to that and
not from "scratch".

This has fixed printing issues, and other things that cropped up over time.

Like Jorge R. post states, it helps to know if you are running Windows 7
or Windows 10, or use various Linux OSs. Also we need to version of
LibreOffice to know if the issue is from an earlier version or the 2
current versions.

LibreOffice current version are 6.0.2.x  and 5.4.6.x.

I run 6.0.2.1 - shown in the "Help > About LibreOffice" menu option.

I also use Ubuntu MATE 16.04LTS for my 64-bit operating system. [Windows
10 only when needed]

This type if information helps others to figure out how to fix your
issues. Sometimes even the about of RAM and Processor speed helps.

On 03/30/2018 08:34 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Weird!  Err, have you tried renaming the user-profile?
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile
>
> You prolly have but I thought i'd jump in with a "waggle the wires"
> answer.  Renaming beats deleting because you can prolly just rename it back
> if there is no effect to get almost all your settings and stuff back.
>
> When LibreOffice 'can't find' your settings it generates a default set.  If
> you got your LO from somewhere other than the LibreOffice website then the
> default settings may be a little different than the "factory defaults" you
> may have started with.
>
> Renaming the user-profile is a magic 'cure all' that often works when
> something weird happens.  It's a bit of a Spring Clean that gets rid of a
> lot of "system rot" so it's prolly good to do occasionally anyway.
> Regards from
> a Tom :)
>

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 06:52 John R. Sowden, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I read in a ascii database into calc.  It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
>> resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
>> cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
>> window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness is in
>> LO, not the system at large.
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> John

>> deleted
>>
> On 30 Mar 2018 06:52, "John R. Sowden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I read in a ascii database into calc.  It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
> resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
> cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
> window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness is in
> LO, not the system at large.
>
> thoughts?
>
> John

John R. Sowden John R. Sowden

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

version 5.1.6.2  xubuntu 16.04 LTS  1 GB RAM 5.5 GB available disk space

John

On 03/30/2018 09:26 AM, John R. Sowden wrote:

> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>
> LO version uk, updated about 6 mo ago, I believe
>
> (I tried to open a smaller SS but I got a full gray screen, no menu
> bar, only title and close box.  After 5 min I closed it
>
> Note this does not happen when I open SS files only.  Only iof I am
> trting to edit this ascii file.  When I click on a cell, it takes
> about 5 min for the cursor to move to that cell even if it is only a
> few cells away.
>

> On 03/30/2018 06:54 AM, jorge Rodríguez wrote:
>> Hi John and all:
>>
>>         Would you please tell us to the e-mail list what kind of
>> Operative System do you have and the LibreOffice version do you use ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jorge Rodríguez
>>

>> El 29/03/2018 a las 23:49, John R. Sowden escribió:
>>> I read in a ascii database into calc. It is taking 97-98% of the cpu
>>> resource per htop, yet nothing is happening.  I move the cursor to a
>>> cell, big gray box, sits ther for > 15 minutes, yet I can move the
>>> window, play freecell, et. with no problem.  It seems the slowness
>>> is in LO, not the system at large.
>>>
>>> thoughts?
>>>
>>> John

TomD TomD

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

Hi :)
Sorry I can't help with this problem.

Can you create a back-up (ie just a copy) of the ascii file?  Do you have
an older copy of the ascii file and if so does that still open correctly?
Hmmm, approx what file-size?  Gb, Mb or kb?  Has the size changed
drastically recently?  Can you right click and open with gedit or whichever
text-editor you favour?  If so don't save, just close or quit.  It's a good
idea to avoid touching the back-up with anything jic poking around does
something odd - then you still have access to the untouched copy.

Does it contain confidential information (such as names, addresses or such
like)?  My guess would be "yes" so uploading it to Nabble or anything is
prolly unfeasable.

It might be worth seeing if Gnumeric can handle the file better.  Gnumeric
is a dedicated spreadsheet program so sometimes it's a bit more focussed on
just dealing with spreadsheets better.

There are memory options in LibreOffice which can be drastically bumped up
to handle much larger file-sizes.
Tools - Options - General   ?

Sorry I'm not really helping here!  Still trying to waggle the wires to see
if something gets dislodged or falls into place.
Apols and regards from
a Tom :)

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:40 John R. Sowden, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> version 5.1.6.2  xubuntu 16.04 LTS  1 GB RAM 5.5 GB available disk space
>
> John
>

> On 03/30/2018 09:26 AM, John R. Sowden wrote:
> > Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
> >
> > LO version uk, updated about 6 mo ago, I believe
> >
> > (I tried to open a smaller SS but I got a full gray screen, no menu
> > bar, only title and close box.  After 5 min I closed it
> >
> > Note this does not happen when I open SS files only.  Only iof I am
> > trting to edit this ascii file.  When I click on a cell, it takes
> > about 5 min for the cursor to move to that cell even if it is only a
> > few cells away.
> >

> > On 03/30/2018 06:54 AM, jorge Rodríguez wrote:
> >> Hi John and all:
> >>
> >>         Would you please tell us to the e-mail list what kind of
> >> Operative System do you have and the LibreOffice version do you use ?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jorge Rodríguez

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: calc taking 97% of cpu

I always have issues with systems with only 1 GB of RAM.

Do you have a lot of disk activity when you open the file? You say 5.5
GB free space. That seems low somehow. Have you installed "disks" or
"gparted"? I think you might want to look into the size of your Swap
partition. I have 4.1 GB Swap partition on this laptop. That was what
Ubuntu created automatically during the install.

I know that Linux ext4 do not need defraging like you need with
FAT/FAT32/NTFS Windows partitions, but the Windows rule of not going
below a free space of less than 10% of the partition's size.  On low RAM
[ 2 or less GB ] systems with 80 GB, 250 GB. or 500 GB drives, that I
have created in the past [ both Ubuntu and Xubuntu ], seems to take
longer when I get below 10 or 20 GB free space. It is even worse when
you combined with a slower single/dual core processor.

I gets worse when you figure in the fact that a lot of built in video
cards shared the RAM with all the system's RAM needs for running the OS
and the packages. The lower available RAM, the more you need a good SWAP
partition size. I have a lot of experience with taking  32-bit and
64-bit processor XP systems to Linux boxes. Even running Xubuntu instead
of Ubuntu did not help much getting good performance with those systems.

Yes, having Calc take so long to open the file, with no problem moving
desktop windows around the screen, seems "weird". But, low RAM issues
can create "weird" issues, in my experiences over the past 10+ years
using Linux on them.