can i add a file to a form in base?

davzeppelin davzeppelin

can i add a file to a form in base?

greetings anyone, i'm trying to create a database where each entry points to a pdf file too (which is different for every individual form)

following some tutorials on youtube i already made the basic table and form with simple things: ID, first and last name and description, but i have found nothing about how to link external files

and another thing, is it possible to make something like a button in the form that starts adobe reader and displays the pdf file so that the user can open it from there? do i have to make a macro?

i know pretty much nothing about base, i started using it yesterday for this project. i don't even know if what i'm trying to do is possible. if not, i welcome every alternative, different approach or different software

thanks in advance!!!
Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: can i add a file to a form in base?

Hi davzeppelin,

> greetings anyone, i'm trying to create a database where each entry
> points to a pdf file too (which is different for every individual
> form)
>
> following some tutorials on youtube i already made the basic table
> and form with simple things: ID, first and last name and
> description, but i have found nothing about how to link external
> files
>
> and another thing, is it possible to make something like a button
> in the form that starts adobe reader and displays the pdf file so
> that the user can open it from there? do i have to make a macro?

There is a separate *.pdf for described examples of the Base Handbuch
in German. You could find it here together with the example databases:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb/BeispielDBs_mit_Beschreibung_V51
.zip
There is a database "Beispiel_Bilder_einbinden.odb" (subfolder
"Externe_Bilder")
But it's all in German ...

So some hints here:
What you wan't doesn't work without a macro.
You have to integrate a control for searching for the directory to the
file. If the directory is found the directory must be copied to a
field, which is connected as a varchar-field to the database.
Now the directory could be saved. Another macro must be created to
open the document when clicking on the diectory. This will work with
oShell.execute("...."). The content inside the brackets would be the
path to the file. It will automatically start the programm, which
could show the file on your system. Works with *.pdf, also with images
and all other files.

Regards

Robert
- --

TomD TomD

Re: can i add a file to a form in base?

Hi :)
There is some documentation on;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Handbook
there is even a translation of most of the Handbuch.  It needs
proof-reading and maybe technical review.  An older version has already had
some of that done so there is some help to anyone willing to grab a chapter
to work on.

On 25 November 2016 at 17:45, Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]>

davzeppelin davzeppelin

Re: can i add a file to a form in base?

Thank you both, I just finished my project following your explanations/suggestions. Wouldn't have made it without you!!!

Robert your example files are perfect, exactly what I was trying to do and didn't know how to.

Thanks again, both of you!